WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who buys this crap

beerrun

Reaction score
2023 chevy 1500 with a 4 cylinder motor?WTF my Toyota tacoma has a bigger motor
Screenshot_20230601-161500_Chrome.jpg

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of the small displacement turbo and twin turbo trucks but if you look at the hp and trq output, they are making more power then the v8's from 10 years ago and get 20 plus miles to the gallon. The tow rating on them is also pretty high as well. Still love my v8 though.

DUN

Reaction score
Not pumped on the little engine little turbo push. The ecoboosts are a mess because of them.

Now toyota and chevy are on the bandwagon. A shame

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
Have one....other than mileage I really like it....2022 sierra 4x4 lifted on 35's.....it's faster than a stock height AT4 with the baby duramax and half a truck length slower than a 5.3 new 1500....I was skeptical but it's what I could get at the time and personally I like it. Mileage is shit at about 14-15 when running premium. Pulls my 28 heat like it's not even there which is the same as my 5.3 truck did before this one.

Did a muffler delete, intake, pedal commander, and an external blow off valve recently and it's even better. I get a lot of shit for it but I don't really care when I see them in my rearview mirror....if you don't like it...don't buy one. It's just as capable as a 5.3 half ton chevy.

truck.jpg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Have one....other than mileage I really like it....2022 sierra 4x4 lifted on 35's.....it's faster than a stock height AT4 with the baby duramax and half a truck length slower than a 5.3 new 1500....I was skeptical but it's what I could get at the time and personally I like it. Mileage is shit at about 14-15 when running premium. Pulls my 28 heat like it's not even there which is the same as my 5.3 truck did before this one.

Did a muffler delete, intake, pedal commander, and an external blow off valve recently and it's even better. I get a lot of shit for it but I don't really care when I see them in my rearview mirror....if you don't like it...don't buy one. It's just as capable as a 5.3 half ton chevy.

View attachment 1237293

I like the that color. Good looking truck.

Backlash

Reaction score
Junk.

My uneducated buddy at work has a Raptor with the smaller turbo motor. We lined up at the lights, and I quickly walked away from him with my N/A small block Silverado. 🤣

EarpRider

Reaction score
Side note, I just ordered a new 2500 Silverado from Bradley, sounds like I'll be lucky if I get it by Christmas.

4Waters

Reaction score
Junk.

My uneducated buddy at work has a Raptor with the smaller turbo motor. We lined up at the lights, and I quickly walked away from him with my N/A small block Silverado. 🤣
What's the weight difference, my 4wd f150 3.5 turbo will run with a higher HP 3.5 turbo Raptor due to weight. The Raptor weighs 1k lbs more than my truck, it comes in at 5800lbs, they are heavy trucks

Backlash

Reaction score
His Raptor is pretty heavy, but so is my AWD Silverado 1500. I looked at it more like "Dollars spent per smile." 😉

I tease him all the time now and remind him that Ford Raptors taste like chicken. 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
What's the weight difference, my 4wd f150 3.5 turbo will run with a higher HP 3.5 turbo Raptor due to weight. The Raptor weighs 1k lbs more than my truck, it comes in at 5800lbs, they are heavy trucks
His truck weighs about 700-800 pounds more than my Silverado. But I don't point that little detail out. He also spent $40,000 more on his truck than I did.

I consider it a definite win for the Bowtie. 😉

Reactions: dmh

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My boss just got a 2.7 Z71 Trail Boss. Really nice truck and gets going pretty well. Has like a 7,800lb tow rating..... But.... gets crap mileage. My '15 5.3 work truck (LT trim) averages 20 mpg and frequently gets 22 to 24 when not in heavy traffic.

'04 Silverado SS 1500, 6.0, AWD. Bone stock.
One of the best running half tons Chevy has made.

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
Good looking pickup...I envy you guys out there not having to deal with winter and salt...that thing would be rotted to the frame if it were in michigan and driven year round lol

4Waters

Reaction score
My boss just got a 2.7 Z71 Trail Boss. Really nice truck and gets going pretty well. Has like a 7,800lb tow rating..... But.... gets crap mileage. My '15 5.3 work truck (LT trim) averages 20 mpg and frequently gets 22 to 24 when not in heavy traffic.

One of the best running half tons Chevy has made.
My chevy loving buddies hated that turd, they were embarrassed by that thing, AWD for that little of HP, it was the slowest of the hot rod trucks by a long ways despite having the best traction. The 2wd SS 454 and the small block 351w Lightning were only .7sec slower.🤣🤣

attitude

Reaction score
My chevy loving buddies hated that turd, they were embarrassed by that thing, AWD for that little of HP, it was the slowest of the hot rod trucks by a long ways despite having the best traction. The 2wd SS 454 and the small block 351w Lightning were only .7sec slower.🤣🤣
Those were good times for GM, they were slapping the 6.0 into everything.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Can't believe you guys are still buying trucks for gas mileage😜

Side note, my buddy has one of those 4 banger turbo chevy trucks. He pulls a 25 ft surveyor tt. Forgot the weight, but he says it pulls fine. But it's thirsty.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It was rated at 345/380 17 years ago. Pretty damn good number for a N/A truck. I wouldn't classify it as a hot rod truck. It's really just a 1500HD drive train that was slightly tuned and a full time AWD transfer case used. Chevy never REALLY got into the factory hot rod truck category.

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
That's a good question lol...I bought mine due to lack of options and needing a truck....I'm sure in stock form not towing they might get slightly better than a 5.3 put do anything and that is gone.....good attempt but not so good execution.

Same as the 6.0....was a decent motor but terrible gas mileage...have known several getting 10-12 in a 3/4 ton in stock form no matter what.

Backlash

Reaction score
I would hope that would beat a raptor.....I would burn it otherwise hahaha
His Ford has the twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 that puts out 450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque. He should have smoked me.

My SS 6.0 only puts out 345 hp. As LOF stated, maybe he needs some driving lessons. 😉

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
It was rated at 345/380 17 years ago. Pretty damn good number for a N/A truck. I wouldn't classify it as a hot rod truck. It's really just a 1500HD drive train that was slightly tuned and a full time AWD transfer case used. Chevy never REALLY got into the factory hot rod truck category.

That's a shame too....could you imagine a modern silverado SS with a big ass vette motor in it...I heard they were supposed to make one with very limited production but don't know if they ever did or will....something to compete with a TRX Ram....that would sell like crazy and be badass!!

As a former lightning owner...2000 model era....I almost threw up when they neutered it and made it electric....should have made it what it always was...a powerhouse performance truck but unfortunately those aren't the times we live in.....

Backlash

Reaction score
Good looking pickup...I envy you guys out there not having to deal with winter and salt...that thing would be rotted to the frame if it were in michigan and driven year round lol
Thank you. I love the truck!! I picked it up from another member on here who's father took really good care of it. 👍

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
His Ford has the twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 that puts out 450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque. He should have smoked me.

My SS 6.0 only puts out 345 hp. As LOF stated, maybe he needs some driving lessons. 😉

I was talking tire size/weight, rolling mass, and gearing....takes a lot of ponies to turn big heavy offroad tires....engine wise yes but the rest of the truck no.....IMO

But what do I know I drive a junk 4 cylinder half ton.....

Backlash

Reaction score
That's a shame too....could you imagine a modern silverado SS with a big ass vette motor in it...I heard they were supposed to make one with very limited production but don't know if they ever did or will....something to compete with a TRX Ram....that would sell like crazy and be badass!!

As a former lightning owner...2000 model era....I almost threw up when they neutered it and made it electric....should have made it what it always was...a powerhouse performance truck but unfortunately those aren't the times we live in.....
I agree with you 1,000%!!! I don't know why Ford and GM "Let" Dodge get so far ahead with the TRX program. Ford has done a decent job of keeping up with Dodge, but GM shit the bed. They should have built a real off-road capable truck with tons of HP. It's not like they don't have the motor packages and the know how.... 🙄

4Waters

Reaction score
It was a Super Sport, it was their hot rod truck, the answer (well wrong answer) to the Lightning and the SRT10. If they would have supercharged it it would have been a beast

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
Is this a "Yeah, but she did it too!" post?

handling-fights.jpg
No, not at all, it was actually more of it is nothing new post. Since the introduction of the ecoboost platform from Ford, which i beleive in the F-150 is the best selling engine package, smaller displacement engines with forces induction has become more popular. Look at the Raptor going from a v8 to a 3.5L v6. GM just jumped on the train.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
That's a good question lol...I bought mine due to lack of options and needing a truck....I'm sure in stock form not towing they might get slightly better than a 5.3 put do anything and that is gone.....good attempt but not so good execution.

Same as the 6.0....was a decent motor but terrible gas mileage...have known several getting 10-12 in a 3/4 ton in stock form no matter what.
I’ve squeezed 14mpg outta my 6.0 1500HD a couple times…but mostly 11 or so on the highway, 10 around town. Got 10 towing a 33ft trailer to the river a couple weeks ago. Lol.

sonicss31

Reaction score

I think I’ll keep my antique. Has 200k and still runs like a top. Bought it new in 2002. Even the bed cover is original
IMG_7277.jpeg
IMG_7276.jpeg
IMG_7275.jpeg
IMG_7274.jpeg
IMG_7273.jpeg
IMG_7272.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
No, not at all, it was actually more of it is nothing new post. Since the introduction of the ecoboost platform from Ford, which i beleive in the F-150 is the best selling engine package, smaller displacement engines with forces induction has become more popular. Look at the Raptor going from a v8 to a 3.5L v6. GM just jumped on the train.
Sorry for the sarcasm treatment. I see now your comment wasn't a flippant remark, it was a serious observation.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
They've had that 4 banger for a few years. That 4 banger would be bad ass in an older S10, it's 310hp 348 lbs/ft of torque
They have a 430 TQ version now. Three different power levels available. You can get the big TQ. engine in the Colorado ZR2 which would make for a fun ride IMO.

The engine platform seems reliable.

BBYSTWY

Reaction score

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

View attachment 1237293
I know a couple of guys who have those four-cylinder trucks and are happy with them.

Just curious if you ever had the truck for any length of time with the stock size tires on it?
I don’t know if I’d want one with the four banger in a full-size crew cab truck that I was planning to tow with but sounds like it worked out OK for you.

If I were independently wealthy, like everyone on RDP, I would buy a little single cab short bed with a four banger just to have fun and see what it would do. The horsepower and torque ratings are higher than the 5.3 L single cab short bed I have now.🤣