WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who has had a GOOD or BAD experience with new car dealers, on line ?

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I'm going thru a ton of 'personalities' with new car dealers .

I'm finding dealers/sales managers, in larger cities seem to be, full of shit/or themselves .

I also am finding that dealers/sales managers in smaller towns seem to be 'more hungry' .

Just took 'one last sweep' of Phoenix dealers, looking for their 'best last offers', and got one who thinks HE KNOWS BEST .

What do you people find happening to you ? One calls me 'delusional', while another calls me, 'constantly', to make my deal .

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I make my deals on line and with luck they won't flip me to a lot donkey when I arrive.
No phone, if they won't give me a deal over the net I move on.

Just because they quote you an OTD online, half the time they'll try and find another way to fuck you when you arrive.
Get up, walk out.
Don't let them keep your drivers license or keys to your trade in. Get all that back before you talk. They'll get surly but they will return those items.
Remember they are coached and rehearsed. They practice their facial expressions in front of the mirror.

I've always beat the COSTCO deals and the big discount coupon GM gives you at the car shows by at least twice the break.

If you're leasing beware that's where the monkey business starts in the paperwork transaction numbers.

Toyota dealers are the most notorious for shady dealings IMHO.
They just can't complete a straight forward transaction, you stick the key in the ignition and drive away.
No:
Always a fuck story long after a price is agreed on.

Looking at Tundras recently.
I'm not paying cash anymore but 25% down.
My Experian is 848 outta 850. The credit lady tried to tell me my credit sucks and move me into deadbeat financing that they get a Vig on.
Toyota dealers are fuckers. All of them.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I am finding the banks to be jus as dumb as the car industry people. Lady today at my bank tries to tell me that 30k is a lot of money. I almost fell over of laughter. I said u got to be kidding.

The only online I have ever dealt with was
" Dave Smith motors". Exactly what they said is what it was when I got there.
[emoji202][emoji106]

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Gotta get a car for my wife and a new RV.

Amazing the amount of bs. More in RV's, which is saying something.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
They are all full of shit. I am in Phoenix too, if you want a FCA product, hard to beat Bill
Luke. I have a buddy in fleet that works with Van Tyl that can get pretty much anything from any brand, without BS. PM me if you want his info. No promises on absolute bottom dollar price but he's honest and will deliver the vehicle and paperwork to you, avoiding the finance manager and associated BS...

Cray Paper

Reaction score
If you are relying on working a deal on the internet with zero interaction in person, that's a problem.

Find the vehicle you want online, make a phone call, set an appointment the following day to test drive and be sure to request that you a want a sales manager that can make the decision on price in the building when your there and that you will only discuss price with this person. Go drive the vehicle then stick to what you requested. Walk out the first time the sales person tries the "let me run this by the boss" BS. Tell the sales person straight up, I'm not wasting my time talking price with you, when the test drive is over hand me off to the person that can make the deal. I have done that on most of my purchases and if they balk right off the bat, walk out. I've only had to follow through with that threat a couple of times. Treat them with respect and demand it in return. That being said, trying to haggle with a dealer on the web over price is like trying to argue your point in the PC section of any website. It doesn't work. Show them your serious by showing up in person and then manage them so you get what you want at the price that is fair.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
If you are relying on working a deal on the internet with zero interaction in person, that's a problem.

Find the vehicle you want online, make a phone call, set an appointment the following day to test drive and be sure to request that you a want a sales manager that can make the decision on price in the building when your there and that you will only discuss price with this person. Go drive the vehicle then stick to what you requested. Walk out the first time the sales person tries the "let me run this by the boss" BS. Tell the sales person straight up, I'm not wasting my time talking price with you, when the test drive is over hand me off to the person that can make the deal. I have done that on most of my purchases and if they balk right off the bat, walk out. I've only had to follow through with that threat a couple of times. Treat them with respect and demand it in return. That being said, trying to haggle with a dealer on the web over price is like trying to argue your point in the PC section of any website. It doesn't work. Show them your serious by showing up in person and then manage them so you get what you want at the price that is fair.

Agreed to some extent, but I get their inventory including stock numbers and ambush them same day, with invoice pricing in hand, I enjoy going back and forth and calling them out on their bullshit. I have trade numbers in hand if applicable and inflate them a few grand to give me some wiggle room. I don't play their games and have ripped into more than one dishonest manager who was trying to screw me. If you know the numbers, you can nail the payment down and call them out when it doesn't match. Funny how the price drops after that... When they pull the "sign here and if we make a deal you'll buy today" shit comes out, I grab the paper and add a bunch of caveats (remote start, Maintenance plans, etc.) and make them sign it back... If they balk, I walk, and will give them a terrible review if they pull any BS... They are usually terrified of bad reviews... I let em know early if they cooperate I will give a perfect review... In exchange for a free service etc...

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Ron Olson at Fiesta Ford in Indio is a straight shooter and hard to beat when you shop around. Good guy too!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ram 2500 Laramie diesel at Huntington Beach Dodge which has everyone else beat. Even had a couple other dealers tell me they will price match everyone....except Huntington Beach...haha

I've had great luck at BMW of El Cajon, but they guy I always used passed away. After the depreciation of my current BMW I doubt I will buy another.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I like to do 100% online.
Arrive at deal, have them draw up the deal and email to you.

Show up at dealership, papers ready so just need to sign. If the deal differs, walk away.

Or just do everything electronically, then they can deliver car to you. No need to go to dealership at all.

Monstrous

Reaction score
Or just do everything electronically, then they can deliver car to you. No need to go to dealership at all.[/QUOTE]
Bought 2 cars for the wife. Never went to the dealership. Flat bedded the cars to us and signed paperwork in the drive way. Leases. Second time, they took the first car back. Called the store manager on the phone and done.
Good luck.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Cash talks ...you know the deal.

Do your research, know the value of your trade in or down if applicable. Hold them to their word, like everyone else has said, talk to the person who can make the deal TODAY.

Most dealers, as you well know George, have at least 5k markup.

AzGeo

Reaction score

I give them the phone number/Email of one of my bankers, so they can check me out .

I'm looking at cars in Idaho, Colorado, Texas, and now the Carolinas . Can't just, 'drop on over'.

Most of the dealers can find out what they need to know with a little information, and I have purchased a few new cars this way in the past .

They just seem 'less honest', or 'less hungry' these days, and I understand they get 'internet BSers', but I offer banking info up front, to prove I'm for real, as needed .

AzGeo

Reaction score
Cash talks ...you know the deal.

Do your research, know the value of your trade in or down if applicable. Hold them to their word, like everyone else has said, talk to the person who can make the deal TODAY.

Most dealers, as you well know George, have at least 5k markup.

5K on an $92K deal is pretty much 'lunch money' these days .

I may have stated before, looking at 2017 EVS Cads, found a 'pantload' of unsold 2016, and now looking at them all over the country .

Both are very similar, but a little different in the Bluebooks one model later .

I'm looking at 20% off of MSRP, and a few are 'really close', while trying to stay within a 'reasonable cash zone' . Knowing the margins GM has, I'm looking at 18% off at $85K, and 20% off in the $92's .

The more we spend on 'her car', the less I have to 'piss away on boat shit' . HA HA

The 'boss' wants a red one, just like the one she already has, and since she takes VERY GOOD CARE of her cars, I need to step up and deliver .

I have no trade in, I'm paying cash, and these are NOT advantages these days .

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Yea margins on the 80K + stuff is pretty significant.

Sounds like you know already what you want to pay, it's just matter of finding someone to play ball. :thumbup:

Never under estimate the power of cash.

Someone will play, and take their $1000 to the bank. Everyone needs to pay bills eventually :)

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I give them the phone number/Email of one of my bankers, so they can check me out .

I'm looking at cars in Idaho, Colorado, Texas, and now the Carolinas . Can't just, 'drop on over'.

Most of the dealers can find out what they need to know with a little information, and I have purchased a few new cars this way in the past .

They just seem 'less honest', or 'less hungry' these days, and I understand they get 'internet BSers', but I offer banking info up front, to prove I'm for real, as needed .

When I am in the market I am looking for main stream vehicles. I see now what your looking for, and your query makes sense. There isn't a large demand for that vehicle and it's a "premium type" vehicle with a diminishing market.

AzGeo

Reaction score
not everyone wants a 'euro type mini sedan' these days (the claimed growing market), and while we can get what we want, I'm going to get it at my price, or not buy ......... (I want a W12 Bentley GT speed, but it's not my turn)

How many here would like to roll a 1960's Cadillac COUPE DeVille ? How many a 'sedan' ?

How about a '70 SS 454 Chevelle, or a '70, 4 door Chevelle Malibu ?

You guys are 'fing up your future classics market' by buying into the 'euro sedan bs' ..........

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Last fall we had an excellent experience with Salmon River Quality Motors in Salmon, Idaho.
Looked at truck online, asked for more pics etc., and we flew in to buy the truck after the deal was made, they drove it back to Salt Lake City to meet us, with the understanding that if it wasn't what they had purported it to be then we would simply take a cab back to the airport.

I will do business with them again. Fair price for a rare desirable vehicle.

Only other dealership that ever treated me that well was Corning Ford in Corning, Ca.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
TPC's siggy is just feckin' awesome

What was your question?

This one's on deck:
red-bra-slow-mo-gif.gif

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I have gone thru Costco the last two times and I have had good luck with the Toyota dealership that is owned by Toyota Motor Corporation in this area, my last two purchases were straightforward. In comparison I also shop 3 or 4 other Toyota dealers between LA and Sacramento that were privately owned before buying. They will lie and tell you over the phone that they will meet or beat your deal but when you show up they are a pain in the butt to deal with.

pipemn

Reaction score
Ron Olson at Fiesta Ford in Indio is a straight shooter and hard to beat when you shop around. Good guy too!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ram 2500 Laramie diesel at Huntington Beach Dodge which has everyone else beat. Even had a couple other dealers tell me they will price match everyone....except Huntington Beach...haha

I've had great luck at BMW of El Cajon, but they guy I always used passed away. After the depreciation of my current BMW I doubt I will buy another.

Probably purchased a dozen or more new trucks and vehicles thru Ron Olson at fiesta always a good experience

AzGeo

Reaction score
I need to start a new thread .......