WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

who has the best price on 1-1/8 aquamet 22 pro shaft?

vee-driven

Reaction score
i need a prop shaft 1-1/8 aquamet preferred whos go the best price or wants to give me a deal on one? thanks

JBS

Reaction score
I find CP to be the best. They work with RDP Call them and ask for the RDP price

Sent from my iPhone

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
I have a lot of 1 1/8, a22 and will deal on it. PM me a length and whether you want it keyed on the vdrive end or not. Tapered end comes keyed and finished.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do people really get a discount on parts for paying cash?

RD

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do people really get a discount on parts for paying cash?

RD

Depends on the supplier. The lift rims amp steps on my truck I saved about $2K by paying cash. My local auto parts hookup save me 30% if I pay cash. Same hookups Veedriven uses locally. Set of Toyo's recently bought saved a huge chunk by paying cash.

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
Cash, cc, doesn't really matter it all goes in the bank here. I will offer addl 2% for cash in this case if we don't have to ship it. Just pm me specs and I'll get you a price for the shaft you need.

David 519

Reaction score
You can look for a good deal or you can buy a good prop shaft. Ron Braaksma had the highest quality out there and I believe Joe Shelfo has acquired the assets of Ron's business. Probably not the cheapist but I would check there first. If not, you could end up like me... your best prop at the bottom of Lake Ming (starting line, left lane to be exact) and a brand new "Aquamet 22" prop shaft sheared flush with the strut barrel. Best of luck to you...

alohajeff

Reaction score
...and a brand new "Aquamet 22" prop shaft sheared flush with the strut barrel. Best of luck to you...

Any truth to the rumors that there is knockoff or low grade AquaMet 22 floating around that's being sold as the "good stuff" ? I trust that companies like Rex are buying legit stuff from legit sources. But I still worry when I read about owners claiming absolute failure at low hours. Are these failures a case where the AquaMet is simply too rigid and the massive torque of the Big Boy Motor is causing the cracking / shearing? I might be forced into a new shaft this year (which is only a few weeks away) and the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of cash on the wrong prop shaft. I've got "boost" plans for the motor this winter and want to make sure the shaft I buy now is up to snuff for the future mods.

Aloha

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If I was worried about it I'd ask for a material cert.

steveo143

Reaction score
I always use K-monel, costs more, cheap insurance!

rocket98

Reaction score
I have always heard the aquamet-22 was to stiff and was prone to shear. But then aquamet-19 was better. Anyone have any input about the differences.

David 519

Reaction score
Any truth to the rumors that there is knockoff or low grade AquaMet 22 floating around that's being sold as the "good stuff" ? I trust that companies like Rex are buying legit stuff from legit sources. But I still worry when I read about owners claiming absolute failure at low hours. Are these failures a case where the AquaMet is simply too rigid and the massive torque of the Big Boy Motor is causing the cracking / shearing? I might be forced into a new shaft this year (which is only a few weeks away) and the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of cash on the wrong prop shaft. I've got "boost" plans for the motor this winter and want to make sure the shaft I buy now is up to snuff for the future mods.

Aloha

Who really knows what the "truth" is regarding any of this. What I can tell you is just what my personal experience was. The prop shaft in my boat was reportedly original to the boat (92 Canyon). It made hundreds of 8 second passes. I maintain the hell out of my boat and I was concerned about all the passes so I bought a new prop shaft that was supposedly Aquamet 22. It never made a full pass... After replacing it with one from Ron Braaksma, I've made probably 50 passes and no issues.
Talking to Ron B about it, he said he didn't know how some dealers could sell prop shafts that were supposedly the same material as his for less than he could buy the material for... Makes one go hmmmmm.....
I was lucky in a way, I lost the prop shaft right at the hit of the throttle. Had it broken down track, might have gotten ugly. Or not. The difference in price between Ron's prop shaft and the other I bought was less than $150. I NEVER scrimp on safety related parts and had I known there was a difference in quality, I would have bought one from Ron in the first place. Unfortunately Ron is no longer with us, but like I said, pretty sure Shelfo has picked up his product line so that would be my first call.

alohajeff

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... I too would rather buy the best I can afford than save a buck and end up throwing money away.

Ron passing was indeed extremely sad. I was due to stop by and shoot the breeze about a few things when I heard the news. His shop was right at the bottom of the mountain and right off my commute route. I have one of his 12/15 3-blade props and love it.

Aloha

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I always use K-monel, costs more, cheap insurance!
unfortunately you can no longer get good k500 monel anymore (the canadian stuff), the old good stuff used to have a darker color on the outside of the shaft, and it would check out on the rockwell c-scale at around 34.... the new stuff rockwells at only 27 (made in italy) and is much softer and easier to bend. Bent a brand new one without even throwing a blade in fact..... so we were forced to switch to aquamet, which isn't as good as the old Monel K-500, but better than the stuff you can get today.

Sucks :thumbsdown

steveo143

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for the info, haven't bought any lately!

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
Since my name has been brought up in this thread in relation to knock-off material, I will respond to set the record perfectly straight on the matter as the implication applies directly to my company. Although not named by the poster here or in several other threads over time on pb it is obvious and I'm damn tired of being stalked on any forum I comment on prop shaft info by this person. While this guy's certainly entitled to post whatever he wants I am entitled to respond as well and will do so. Most vendors shy away from confrontations. I don't. Never have, not gonna start. I have nothing to hide. I also don't hide behind weak implications when I have something to say. You wanna slam me, fire away. A few have done so over the years. When an apology or other measure is due I don't hesitate to handle it. Conversely when someone hammers me for something that just isn't true I will take them to the mat on the issue. Hotboat is littered with a few of these that figured I'd just roll over from customer pressure and potential negative press. This one's a bit different in that ex-customer is not seeking anything other than damage to my business at this point by continually implicating that the material I sell is somehow inferior.

We use the same high quality material we have used for 2 decades. The same material prominent v drive manufacturers and many vdrive race shops use. None of us have shafts breaking. If I choose to sell at reasonable prices rather than try to double my money on everything, that's my choice. We have sold over 300 prop shafts in the past 20 years. Out of those 300 shafts I know of two that broke prematurely including the one from the lot of material this single broken shaft of this ex-customer came from. The other broken shaft was several years ago and was replaced by the mfg. If shafts were breaking in mass believe me I'd know about it.

Ex-Customer contacted me and wanted the shaft replaced. That's a reasonable request. I contacted the mfg and they wanted the shaft back to test metallurgically for defect at the point of breakage. Another reasonable request. Again, it is not common this material breaks for no reason. Ex-Customer refused to do it (something that never gets mentioned), implied I was out to take advantage of him = unreasonable response. He was the customer, I wanted to get him handled. It was to be no dice. Returning the shaft to the source for testing was part of the warranty process. Hence no warranty occurred, a reasonable response by the manufacturer. He wanted me to take the money out of my pocket rather than comply with the warranty process and get the manufacturer to pitch in. Pretty much sums it up except for the several threads that ex-customer has now "implied" I sell bogus material carefully without ever naming Rex Marine. I've never sold bogus material and never will. Never have substituted a lesser grade material either for a 22 shaft as has been implied and never will. There are many reasons a shaft can break, one being a material defect which is very rare. I will not speculate on the install process of this broken shaft because I wasn't present for it. However I do know that many things can cause a shaft to break off due to improper install of propeller (by far most common cause of shaft failure) or even actual propeller failure shearing the shaft off at the strut. Most racers know their shit so there's a good chance there was a defect in this case. We'll never know though because it never got tested by mfg.

20 years, 300 shafts supplied, 2 broken, bogus material, nope. We handle warranty problems when they occur but not without complying with manufacturers warranty procedures and not without customer cooperation.

Now back to the thread starter's topic. I offered a good price (20%) off ONLY because I was overstocked on 1 1/8" material at the moment. It was his question, I answered it, and subsequently got hammered by a disgruntled ex-customer. It is common for suppliers to offer discounts when overstocked on something. Hell I have entire threads dedicated to stuff in this category. You see it all the time in all industries and to be the recipient of slamming because of a low price offer is absurd. Vee-driven and a couple others got swingin deals on shafts. I have a couple more to sell then that deal's over because I'll have the amount of material I feel is appropriate in stock for current market conditions. That is all I have until I read additional veiled internet bullshit disparaging my company, my products, and my reputation.

And folks wonder why most in the industry won't go near or participate in boating forums.
i-D7wRshS.gif

Last edited:

steveo143

Reaction score
Great post Mike. I have wondered for a long time who David was alluding too.

David 519

Reaction score
Since my name has been brought up in this thread in relation to knock-off material, I will respond to set the record perfectly straight on the matter as the implication applies directly to my company. Although not named by the poster here or in several other threads over time on pb it is obvious and I'm damn tired of being stalked on any forum I comment on prop shaft info by this person. While this guy's certainly entitled to post whatever he wants I am entitled to respond as well and will do so. Most vendors shy away from confrontations. I don't. Never have, not gonna start. I have nothing to hide. I also don't hide behind weak implications when I have something to say. You wanna slam me, fire away. A few have done so over the years. When an apology or other measure is due I don't hesitate to handle it. Conversely when someone hammers me for something that just isn't true I will take them to the mat on the issue. Hotboat is littered with a few of these that figured I'd just roll over from customer pressure and potential negative press. This one's a bit different in that ex-customer is not seeking anything other than damage to my business at this point by continually implicating that the material I sell is somehow inferior.

We use the same high quality material we have used for 2 decades. The same material prominent v drive manufacturers and many vdrive race shops use. None of us have shafts breaking. If I choose to sell at reasonable prices rather than try to double my money on everything, that's my choice. We have sold over 300 prop shafts in the past 20 years. Out of those 300 shafts I know of two that broke prematurely including the one from the lot of material this single broken shaft of this ex-customer came from. The other broken shaft was several years ago and was replaced by the mfg. If shafts were breaking in mass believe me I'd know about it.

Ex-Customer contacted me and wanted the shaft replaced. That's a reasonable request. I contacted the mfg and they wanted the shaft back to test metallurgically for defect at the point of breakage. Another reasonable request. Again, it is not common this material breaks for no reason. Ex-Customer refused to do it (something that never gets mentioned), implied I was out to take advantage of him = unreasonable response. He was the customer, I wanted to get him handled. It was to be no dice. Returning the shaft to the source for testing was part of the warranty process. Hence no warranty occurred, a reasonable response by the manufacturer. He wanted me to take the money out of my pocket rather than comply with the warranty process and get the manufacturer to pitch in. Pretty much sums it up except for the several threads that ex-customer has now "implied" I sell bogus material carefully without ever naming Rex Marine. I've never sold bogus material and never will. Never have substituted a lesser grade material either for a 22 shaft as has been implied and never will. There are many reasons a shaft can break, one being a material defect which is very rare. I will not speculate on the install process of this broken shaft because I wasn't present for it. However I do know that many things can cause a shaft to break off due to improper install of propeller (by far most common cause of shaft failure) or even actual propeller failure shearing the shaft off at the strut. Most racers know their shit so there's a good chance there was a defect in this case. We'll never know though because it never got tested by mfg.

20 years, 300 shafts supplied, 2 broken, bogus material, nope. We handle warranty problems when they occur but not without complying with manufacturers warranty procedures and not without customer cooperation.

Now back to the thread starter's topic. I offered a good price (20%) off ONLY because I was overstocked on 1 1/8" material at the moment. It was his question, I answered it, and subsequently got hammered by a disgruntled ex-customer. It is common for suppliers to offer discounts when overstocked on something. Hell I have entire threads dedicated to stuff in this category. You see it all the time in all industries and to be the recipient of slamming because of a low price offer is absurd. Vee-driven and a couple others got swingin deals on shafts. I have a couple more to sell then that deal's over because I'll have the amount of material I feel is appropriate in stock for current market conditions. That is all I have until I read additional veiled internet bullshit disparaging my company, my products, and my reputation.

And folks wonder why most in the industry won't go near or participate in boating forums.
i-D7wRshS.gif

I'm not stalking you, you're irrelevant. From my perspective, there was no confrontation with you, I simply commented on a prop shaft thread and offered the OP a supplier for what he was looking for. If my relating the facts of what happened to me makes you uncomfortable that's not on me. NOT ONE WORD of my post was incorrect or inaccurate. The FACTS are not in dispute, the first prop shaft lasted 15 years, the third one has lasted a couple season and the Rex Marine broke on the first pass. Stevie Wonder can see something was wrong with that prop shaft. Maybe it was a fluke, material inconsistancy, whatever, it broke.
To be fair, Rex Marine did offer to "go to bat for me" with the mfg. However, the mfg had already said it was a racing related part and there was no warrenty. Not denying, you did offer to try with the mfg but you also made it clear Rex Marine would not stand behind it if the mfg didn't. We both know the mfg wasn't gonna stand behind it and it was pretty clear I wasn't gonna see a nickle back on the deal. My position was/is I BOUGHT IT FROM REX MARINE AND REX MARINE SHOULD STAND BEHIND IT!!! I'm a small business owner, it's what I do for my customers and what I expect when I'm a customer. So yea, I walked away from the deal since I didn't have a chance to prevail.
I had been a Rex customer dating back to when I was racing in the 80's and used to consistantly recommend Rex because of your support of racing. Moreover, I'm pretty easy to keep happy. All it would have taken was for you to simply offer store credit for the cost of the prop shaft and/or at least pretended to care about the customer. If Rex Marine would have been willing to do that, I would have shipped the prop shaft back in a heartbeat. Instead, you hid behind "manufacturer warrenty" and lost a customer.
As I explained in all the PM's we exchanged previously on the subject, this was never personal. I wrote it off as just differences in how we each view the customer/supplier relationship.
To be honest, I didn't wanna get into the he said/she said on the internet. I think we've both said our piece, so how about we leave it where it is.....

Last edited:

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
I'm not stalking you, you're irrelevant. From my perspective, there was no confrontation with you, I simply commented on a prop shaft thread and offered the OP a supplier for what he was looking for. If my relating the facts of what happened to me makes you uncomfortable that's not on me. NOT ONE WORD of my post was incorrect or inaccurate. The FACTS are not in dispute, the first prop shaft lasted 15 years, the third one has lasted a couple season and the Rex Marine broke on the first pass. Stevie Wonder can see something was wrong with that prop shaft. Maybe it was a fluke, material inconsistancy, whatever, it broke.
To be fair, Rex Marine did offer to "go to bat for me" with the mfg. However, the mfg had already said it was a racing related part and there was no warrenty. Not denying, you did offer to try with the mfg but you also made it clear Rex Marine would not stand behind it if the mfg didn't. We both know the mfg wasn't gonna stand behind it and it was pretty clear I wasn't gonna see a nickle back on the deal. My position was/is I BOUGHT IT FROM REX MARINE AND REX MARINE SHOULD STAND BEHIND IT!!! I'm a small business owner, it's what I do for my customers and what I expect when I'm a customer. So yea, I walked away from the deal since I didn't have a chance to prevail.
I had been a Rex customer dating back to when I was racing in the 80's and used to consistantly recommend Rex because of your support of racing. Moreover, I'm pretty easy to keep happy. All it would have taken was for you to simply offer store credit for the cost of the prop shaft and/or at least pretended to care about the customer. If Rex Marine would have been willing to do that, I would have shipped the prop shaft back in a heartbeat. Instead, you hid behind "manufacturer warrenty" and lost a customer.
As I explained in all the PM's we exchanged previously on the subject, this was never personal. I wrote it off as just differences in how we each view the customer/supplier relationship.
To be honest, I didn't wanna get into the he said/she said on the internet. I think we've both said our piece, so how about we leave it where it is.....

David I told you at the time there was a shot at getting it replaced if the material tested bad notwithstanding the shafting did not meet their minimum size for hp rating. There are few if any manufacturers that will consider warranty on an item without the item being returned for inspection / evaluation. Its pretty much the standard in business with all products whether they be performance products, engine parts, laser printers, lawnmowers, you name it. If they had replaced the shaft I'd certainly have given your money back or a replacement shaft at your option. If they'd have not replaced you'd likely have got that store credit anyhow. But we never got that far after refusal to return the shaft for testing.

Yes we certainly look at things differently. And the implied effect, even without mentioning my name, each time I post anything prop shaft related (such as the scenario above), is obvious in its intent, timing and placement when followed with your story and "best of luck to you" type comments. You told me at the time you felt it was just some sub-standard material instead of A22. That was not the case (while the A22 might have been defective) and when the implication in posts arise to that effect (that I would sell some substandard material vs A22) with my name attached or implied I will respond in kind to clarify the reality of the scenario.

David 519

Reaction score
David I told you at the time there was a shot at getting it replaced if the material tested bad notwithstanding the shafting did not meet their minimum size for hp rating. There are few if any manufacturers that will consider warranty on an item without the item being returned for inspection / evaluation. Its pretty much the standard in business with all products whether they be performance products, engine parts, laser printers, lawnmowers, you name it. If they had replaced the shaft I'd certainly have given your money back or a replacement shaft at your option. If they'd have not replaced you'd likely have got that store credit anyhow. But we never got that far after refusal to return the shaft for testing.

Yes we certainly look at things differently. And the implied effect, even without mentioning my name, each time I post anything prop shaft related (such as the scenario above), is obvious in its intent, timing and placement when followed with your story and "best of luck to you" type comments. You told me at the time you felt it was just some sub-standard material instead of A22. That was not the case (while the A22 might have been defective) and when the implication in posts arise to that effect (that I would sell some substandard material vs A22) with my name attached or implied I will respond in kind to clarify the reality of the scenario.

Mike, you can read whatever you want to in my posts. When someone asks a question posts a thread/question I can contribute to, I put in my 2 cents, just as you do. Well, except I'm not selling anything.
That said, I'm calling bullshit on the part in red. Why would I have NOT sent the shaft back if I had known I was going to get something out of the deal. That makes no sense and we both know it's not true. From the very first PM on the subject, you were VERY clear Rex wasn't standing behind squat.
Also calling bullshit on what you posted about warrentys because it's the real reason Rex lost me as a customer. If I buy a lawn mower or performance parts and have problems, I take it back to where I bought it. They exchange/refund to me on the spot and THEY deal with the MFG. Summit didn't make me deal with Crane on a crap ignition after a season of fighting it. They replaced it and they dealt with Crane. THATS customer service and what we do in my company. I know, just as Summit or Home Depot does, keeping a good customer ALWAYS pays off in the long run.
Again, you can post anything you want, just as I do. I'll be respectful as long as you are and we can just agree to disagree.

David 519

Reaction score
Great post Mike. I have wondered for a long time who David was alluding too.

No one knew through the boards and I never would have posted that info if Mike hadn't started this. Mike and I had this debate when it happened and thought we agreed to disagree. Oh well....