WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who is Running a Merc Max 5 prop?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Thinking of buying one - interested to hear peoples experiences.

Thanks!

Uncle Dave

shueman

Reaction score
Be nice to get a "loaner" ... they do create transom lift as I understand it ...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Be nice to get a "loaner" ... they do create transom lift as I understand it ...

Im not exactly cheap but at 1800 MSRP - thats a ton of dough to spend and not have it work.

I know it sounds odd- but that boat has alway run faster with the a 3 blade than a 4 - but I cant find them in 30+ pitch.

UD

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Im not exactly cheap but at 1800 MSRP - thats a ton of dough to spend and not have it work.

I know it sounds odd- but that boat has alway run faster with the a 3 blade than a 4 - but I cant find them in 30+ pitch.

UD
This for your Sebring? Quite a few boats top end is better with a 3 blade, but the planing and cruising usually sucks compared to a 4 blade. Same with going to a 5 blade, lose a little too end but gain a bunch of mid range.

I haven’t tried a Max 5, but Teague says they’re awesome, they’re selling a ton of them. Said a Nordic heat picked up 9mph with one. I’d be curious to see others experiences as well.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I got one you can try, tried it on my Sabre a few times. It's a 28p which seem to yield close to my same RPM as my 31p 4 blade. Only thing is its at the river, let me know and i can bring it home next weekend.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
This for your Sebring? Quite a few boats top end is better with a 3 blade, but the planing and cruising usually sucks compared to a 4 blade. Same with going to a 5 blade, lose a little too end but gain a bunch of mid range.

I haven’t tried a Max 5, but Teague says they’re awesome, they’re selling a ton of them. Said a Nordic heat picked up 9mph with one. I’d be curious to see others experiences as well.

Yeah for the sebring- It may end up working better on a 2750 but Id have to run a much smaller prop.

Heard Teague did a piece on them but I cant find it.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I got one you can try, tried it on my Sabre a few times. It's a 28p which seem to yield close to my same RPM as my 31p 4 blade. Only thing is its at the river, let me know and i can bring it home next weekend.

thanks- I may take you up on that depending on what I can find.

Im heading to Havi/ River for Fathers day next weekend with the sebring

Prob be a shitload more comfortable in eta V but Im Itching to see what things got in it with the new mill.

UD

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Yeah for the sebring- It may end up working better on a 2750 but Id have to run a much smaller prop.

UD
It’s buried in here somewhere. I think he mentions running it on a 2750 too. Everything you’d ever want to know about props

boatnam2

Reaction score
Im at echo lodge if you want to stop by and grab it to give it a try, should be there friday until sunday afternoon. Chris has my number.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It’s buried in here somewhere. I think he mentions running it on a 2750 too. Everything you’d ever want to know about props

thanks-

When Bob Teague talks I listen - I have a ton of respect for the guy and hes always treated me great.

UD

Rbcconst

Reaction score

UD

I put a cutting edge 5 blade on my 2750 and it works very well. I think the max 5 has more rake though. I’m in the same spot, $1800 is a whole lotta money to spend on a prop if it’s not dynamite on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boatnam2

Reaction score
After watching bobs little video, i may have lied saying a have a new mercury max 5, what i may have is a maximus 5 blade with a short diffuser. Not sure if its same prop or not, need to do a little more digging, my guess it isn't a max5. let you know more monday.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
After watching bobs little video, i may have lied saying a have a new mercury max 5, what i may have is a maximus 5 blade with a short diffuser. Not sure if its same prop or not, need to do a little more digging, my guess it isn't a max5. let you know more monday.

Wouldn't mine trying it regardless.

UD

catman

Reaction score
Thinking of buying one - interested to hear peoples experiences.

Thanks!

Uncle Dave

Dave,For a guy that has a vested interest in a boat company I think Chris will let you in the parts room ? Lol

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Dave,For a guy that has a vested interest in a boat company I think Chris will let you in the parts room ? Lol

Haha! - the last big wheel wheel had in the shop was the one you bought !

We're sold out - All that left are some left hand 4 blades I think a 30 and a 31 - I could snag them and drive in reverse but better to try something Ill end up buying.

IF you are around fathers day weekend and the weather works out lets take the sebring for a ride!

Ill prob get a room part time at your end of the lake and then havasu a day or so.

I really need to wire kill switch into this ride.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I put a cutting edge 5 blade on my 2750 and it works very well. I think the max 5 has more rake though. I’m in the same spot, $1800 is a whole lotta money to spend on a prop if it’s not dynamite on the boat.

The cutting edge guys do phenomenal repair work- Ive never run one of their wheels though - heard lots good not much bad.

I try to stay away from 5 blades on the bigger boat as the extra bite is harder on drives in the ocean

UD

Rbcconst

Reaction score
The cutting edge guys do phenomenal repair work- Ive never run one of their wheels though - heard lots good not much bad.

I try to stay away from 5 blades on the bigger boat as the extra bite is harder on drives in the ocean

UD

I believe that. I’m not an ocean guy for sure.

boatnam2

Reaction score
So i bought this 5 blade that what used a couple times for a good deal, price new was close to 1900 so i just figured it was the new max 5 with that price point. Max 5 was recommended for my boat and i thought this will be what i need for half the price. So i gave it a try and it did come out of the hole better but i baby it up on plane anyways so no biggie. it did have quite a bit of tail lift that was noticeable especially at slower speeds but mid range and driveabilty wasn't what i was looking for and my 31p 4 blade put you in the seat better so i went back to that. So now after seeing the video i see a maximus is $1800. I could have a cut down maximus not a max 5 like i thought. So the story may continue if this is true and i can nut up $2000 grand to give it a try or do what uncle dave is looking to do and borrow one.

skav

Reaction score

UD

TCM has all sizes in stock. Ask how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
TCM has all sizes in stock. Ask how I know

Yeah ...

I figured Id find all the candy at the candy store.

Thing is if I regear the 20.8 I may be able to run the same max 5 on both boats......

UD

skav

Reaction score
Yeah ...

I figured Id find all the candy at the candy store.

Thing is if I regear the 20.8 I may be able to run the same max 5 on both boats......

UD

A 31 max5 runs the same rpm as a Maximus 28 (15-1/4) at cruise for me. I haven’t been able to run it up high yet, but is should add a bit to the top.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

They take a boat out and test it with a 23p then use a 28-30p to be able to yield those numbers??

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Whats your rig?

Turns out I have a LH 32 - prob just drive in reverse and see how it feels.

Attachments

• IMG_6267.jpg
    IMG_6267.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 260

milkmoney

Reaction score
Wow ......[emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
That’s also a short tube. It’s got at least an inch off of it, and with that mod the flare is gone. It’ll have less transom lift.

The Max5 pulls pitch pretty accurately and generally run 7-10% slip, a good rule of thumb for the Maximus is to use 2” pitch less than whatever 4-blade you normally run. All that blade area really hooks up.

This is a Maximus on the left, Max5 on the right.
94C87A29-D30F-4E65-AB2E-E478C5A2FEB5.jpeg

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
This video got me thinking about a Max 5 for my RT. I recently put a -2 on it and am playing around with props. I thought a Max 5 might be the ticket. Alexi said to stick with 4 blades in my situation which is all I need to hear.

I'm quite curious how they do on most boats though.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Well shit! Looks like i need to find 2k laying around. I may try to pick one up this week Uncle dave to have for this weekend.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Well shit! Looks like i need to find 2k laying around. I may try to pick one up this week Uncle dave to have for this weekend.

I’m pretty sure BBlades has a test program where you give a deposit and they send props until you find one that works.

farmo83

Reaction score
I don't know if they would do a Max 5 for the test program. I tried to test a labbed 26 one time and they said it was to expensive to allow to test. The max 5 is 500 more bucks then the labbed 26. Worth a call though. I think it's 50 bucks per prop to try and you have 14 days from the time it leaves B Blades, if you like it you keep the prop and they charge your card. If not you send it back and they charge it 50 bucks.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I don't know if they would do a Max 5 for the test program. I tried to test a labbed 26 one time and they said it was to expensive to allow to test. The max 5 is 500 more bucks then the labbed 26. Worth a call though. I think it's 50 bucks per prop to try and you have 14 days from the time it leaves B Blades, if you like it you keep the prop and they charge your card. If not you send it back and they charge it 50 bucks.

Maybe they could charge a larger deposit or at least let you return it if you don’t like it. Getting ahold of props without purchasing is a pain. Sounds like a good retirement gig. The prop tester!

Mike K

Reaction score
Like Shueman said ... it will create stern lift ... I already have a light Ilmor motor so my transom lifted easily ... but my water intake was in the center after the hull steps and I lost water pressure big time ... I kept the 5 blade and had Brad at E-Ticket put in a port sponson water ramp with a pick up ... water pressure problem solved and great performance with a 5 blade. The fun part is when you hit the gas from about 4000 and up ... awesome acceleration.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Maximus. The Max5 is sharper at the tip

I didn't mean to put the question mark. Short tube Maximus. Kind of weird how some parts of posts show up missing.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Teague currently out of stock on a 28p or 30p max 5, you can still try the maximus UD and if you like it make you a great deal on it. Only keep it as a backup and thinking it was a max 5. Going to put it up for sale after this weekend.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I know we have almost all our questions answered in this thread, but does anyone know where a 29 29.5 or30p mercury max 5 can be bought this week? in So cal or havasu.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I know we have almost all our questions answered in this thread, but does anyone know where a 29 29.5 or30p mercury max 5 can be bought this week? in So cal or havasu.

Im gonna call teague today and find out what they have.

Im second guessing running my LH prop in reverse. Chris tells me that he won't do that with a drive thats been worn in one direction for any length of time - so I'm hunting for a wheel.

UD

boatnam2

Reaction score
I called them yesterday, bob was busy but fabian said they were out of 29-30P wheels, he was going to check shelves but i never called back. Find us one UD, love to try it.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Im gonna call teague today and find out what they have.

Im second guessing running my LH prop in reverse. Chris tells me that he won't do that with a drive thats been worn in one direction for any length of time - so I'm hunting for a wheel.

UD
I wouldn't be as worried about the gear wear. A lot of drive guys, when rebuilding a bravo drive will swap the forward and reverse gear so it wears on the other face. Like flipping a mattress haha.

I would be more worried about the physics involved. With a RH rotation, the boat wants to torque roll left, hence the driver, batteries, etc being on the right side of the boat. If you throw a left hand prop on there, then its really gonna want to roll right! It may not be unsafe, but probably not the best test.

boatnam2

Reaction score
These things are flying off the shelf, surprised there isn't much input from anyone. Guys must be burying them in their backyards like gold bars..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

UD
I hope you don't take this in any neg. way... but what is the reason you want this prop?? what is the boat doing or not doing..thanks, 2FF..