WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who is the best water skier you ever saw?

Reaction score
I skied with Bill Johnson a couple weeks ago. He said he hadn't skied since last year but still cut, cut, heli, cut, cut, heli. Made it look sooo easy
Heading to mead with him this week should be fun

Mac Mckenzie, never saw him ski. He was truly a legend. Really a character, cheetos and coors light after work at his place. My buddy Brian and I hung out alot with him in the last years. A lot of laughs and stories I'll never forget.

Morgon Odell was a real natural

I got to add Donna Patterson/Bryce she hauled ass. I think she still has the record 111.11 for guiness ladies
She's pretty funny too. I think she learned on arrowhead somewhere around 16yrs old then went fast!

lkwdmorris

Reaction score
Danny Aldrich, Sam Maus jr, Charlie Saunders, Davey Frank CRAZY GOOD JUMPERS. These guys were doing things on skiis that wake boarders do today.

The Marine Stadium Boys of the 80s. Roger Crocker, Kevin" Dogger", Ronny Gayman (With his spiked up blond mohawk).

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Mike Mack sliding on the strip :thumbsup

OY001140.jpg

That's the first name that came to mind when I read the thread. Klarich and Mack dominated being towed on anything behind a boat for as long as I can remember. I grew up chasing buoys and followed ski racing later in life. two completely different sports and hard to pick a "best" in all disciplines.

norcalLmo

Reaction score
81 year old I ski with pretty much EVERY weekend LOL!!!! Ken Schmidt and his wife (my #2 mom) LOL!!!
26715.jpeg

15198.jpeg
dsc_3599.jpg
photo (1).JPG

Runs2rch

Reaction score
DOGGER!!!
Hey Steve out at Mead in the early 90's I remember a guy who was an incredible skier. He had some sort of accident that injured his left arm. He had no movement/use of the arm, and skied with one arm. Remember watching him in awe.

Do you know who that was?

norcalLmo

Reaction score
stoker2001 - AGREED!!!! He and Velma have set 'The Bar' pretty friggin' high when it comes to; boating, ski racing, play skiing and livin' life!~!!! Their 27' Profile boat has just over 3200 hours on it (lost count of motors and drives) LOL! :cool:

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Best skier seen in person- Glen Plake, I've been in the boat and have seen him run 38 off , towed him at 100 behind my flat training for Catalina, and is a very good barefooter. Great
all around watersport athlete.

cofooter

Reaction score
Best skier seen in person- Glen Plake, I've been in the boat and have seen him run 38 off , towed him at 100 behind my flat training for Catalina, and is a very good barefooter. Great
Not to mention incredible extreme snow skier.........

stoker2001

Reaction score
Miss ol red-rooster head,lost touch about two decades ago.shredded the bouys with him and his wife on the lake Lahotten back in days..definatly an Animal.seen he is on that show for modified trucks these days

SKIA36

Reaction score
Hey Steve out at Mead in the early 90's I remember a guy who was an incredible skier. He had some sort of accident that injured his left arm. He had no movement/use of the arm, and skied with one arm. Remember watching him in awe.

Danny Aldridge, JAA_CBA here on the boards.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Lots of them tumbled. The worst I ever saw was Danny Churchill. He fell going through the lights . His drag chute opened , ripped oped his crotch and almost killed him. He was in the hospital for a long time. I am sure some of the other RDP members remember it.

I’m just finishing his daughters backyard in Newport

LB247XS

Reaction score
the late KIRK BOOK
CHARLIE SAUNDERS ( CHAZZ )
ROGER CROCKER
We cant forget about RON GAYMAN either another BADASS [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

schiada1976

Reaction score
I've heard so many stories of great all around skiers. But I'll comment on the ones I've seen personally.

Billy Johnson from Lake Arrowhead - he was a good ski racer, but watching him fun ski was amazing. As smooth as I've seen. Watching him pull off helicopters without hesitation and keeping his rhythm while cutting. Awesome.

Morgan O'Dell from Lake Arrowhead - probably one of the most naturally gifted all around water skiers I've ever seen.

Ron Gayman - Flips, tic tocks, he could do everything. Became a very good ski racer too.

Todd Haig - best all around skier (fun skiing and racing), that I have seen. Watching him fun ski, he is effortless. When it comes to racing, it doesn't matter if it is rough or smooth. He has no weakness.

Mac McKenzie - Never got to watch him water ski, but I worked for him at his ski school in Arrowhead for several years. Seen pictures and heard stories. That man has so much respect from all of us growing up in Arrowhead. His wife Lucy was a great skier as well.
Mason Thompson would slalom ski in the ocean.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
In person?

That would have to be an old friend, back when we were kids. (in our 20's).

Natural fucking athlete. Was good at everything he did. Big guy, so he could throw a Wall of water pulling back on a cut. Dude could shread like no other.

Wasn't much for using his head though, so life didn't turn out so well for him.

But back in the day, gawd he was Good. 👍🏼👍🏼

This thread reminds me how much I hate these new freaking dock crushers. 🤬

Long live the single skiiers. 💪💪

schiada1976

Reaction score
Not sure how I left Mason out. Another effortless skier whether he was racing or fun skiing. Incredible. He is missed for sure. I remember when they did a TV special with Mason doing a dock start at Lake Arrowhead Marina back around 85ish?
Guy is the original GOAT of ski racing and NHHS football