WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who Knows About Nuc Computers?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my Mac computer that recently I've come to hate - it doesn't mesh with other programs, it takes forever to send something to the printer, it takes forever to boot up, I'm done, I'm going back to a PC based computer. One of the guys at work was telling me about the Intel Nuc (pronounced nook) that's as big as a thick CD drive and can eliminate needing a tower for a CPU. When I bought my Mac the selling point was that it was an all in one, no tower, just the screen and keyboard. If the CPU is as small as a thick book I can do a Nuc and I can shitcan this Mac.

What do you guys know about Nucs, are they worth it?

Flatsix66

Reaction score
With a NUC you would have to build it yourself, load the OS and apps, drivers......then connect to Monitor, keybaord, mouse. - giant Pain in the Ass. I would buy a cheaper Dell laptop on sale from Dell, a $110 27" monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse for a home setup. Take the laptop where you want to when travelling. Call Dell when it breaks. Buy a new one in three years...wash, rinse, repeat.

Or get a Mac.

sintax

Reaction score
I'm familiar with them, they come in all sorts of different sizes and specs though, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you buy. Anything new should be pretty decent though for basic computing.

just a note, you CAN buy them with Windows 10 pre-loaded.

something like this should be decent.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am running a HP elite 2 for about a year now. Its an HP version of a surface pro. I got one of the more powerful chips and higher ram and memory. I love it. I have two docking stations, (work and home) and bounce back and forth. It is great for packing along on business trips and going to the field. I just pop one plug and move.

I will never go back to a tower.........