WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who lays off employees on a Sunday?

Singleton

Reaction score
2 things I argue for when I have to give that news to anyone in my organization.
1 - I will never terminate someone on a Monday or Friday.
2- I will do it in person and be as honest as I can

any other way is classless and IMO not someone you want to work for anyways.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Didn’t you work for an agency that placed you at your employer? If so was it the agency that notified you?

Singleton

Reaction score
The company I work for let a guy go while he was on vacation a couple days before Christmas. Welcome to corporate America

I have had to fly with less then 12hrs notice to Brazil to let someone go. Spent 8 hours in Brazil, before I was back at the airport flying home. Only way I do it, period!

I was also informed the day before I was going out for urgent kidney surgery and would be out for a week, my entire organization was being reorg’d and when I return would be reporting to my peer under the VP I reported to. First day I was back in the office was the first day looking for a new job. I ended up resigning within 2 months and 1 weeks before a project I was running was due to be presented to the audit committee. I was asked to stay through that meeting by my VP and CFO. CFO called me directly asking to me stay, but when we talked and I explained why I was leaving I found out he had zero idea what his VP did to me and when. He then said thanks and I understand and was a reference for me a couple years later. The VP I was reporting to, was moved out of that organization within 90 days of me leaving :)

treat people correctly and they will do anything for you when it comes to work projects

boatpi

Reaction score
I fired a guy a week ago in a New York second halfway into his shift. Caught the asshole smoking a joint outside. He was on his way out the door anyway

Reactions: DWC

Nordie

Reaction score
I have had to fly with less then 12hrs notice to Brazil to let someone go. Spent 8 hours in Brazil, before I was back at the airport flying home. Only way I do it, period!

I was also informed the day before I was going out for urgent kidney surgery and would be out for a week, my entire organization was being reorg’d and when I return would be reporting to my peer under the VP I reported to. First day I was back in the office was the first day looking for a new job. I ended up resigning within 2 months and 1 weeks before a project I was running was due to be presented to the audit committee. I was asked to stay through that meeting by my VP and CFO. CFO called me directly asking to me stay, but when we talked and I explained why I was leaving I found out he had zero idea what his VP did to me and when. He then said thanks and I understand and was a reference for me a couple years later. The VP I was reporting to, was moved out of that organization within 90 days of me leaving :)

treat people correctly and they will do anything for you when it comes to work projects

Sounds like a disaster. Same guy after being terminated went to work for a competitor, the company I work for ended up buying that company. We got to fire him twice.

DWC

Reaction score
That’s complete BS. Sorry to hear. Karma bus will get the SOB. Always does.

DWC

Reaction score
2 things I argue for when I have to give that news to anyone in my organization.

Our company policy is in person following a few written and verbal warnings. My last peer was let go while i was in Vegas. Boss asked me to come back from Vegas to “talk through” the transition plan. Ended up driving back because i could get a flight. Longest drive ever.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Didn’t you work for an agency that placed you at your employer? If so was it the agency that notified you?
Yes. When they called me back last year, I had to work under the temp agency (at my old rate) until the 1st of this year, when I was supposed to be hired. We were acquired in December and I remained as a “temp”. Every employee that got let go got about 6 months severence. Not temps though. A guy from the agency called me today. He doesn't seem very good at his job though....he said he'll fedex my check tomorrow and I'll have it Tues or Wed. CA law states that if an employee is terminated the employer has to pay in full same day. He thinks its 72 hours. He's wrong...and the labor board will inform him of that later in the week.

I planned on a separation with this place, just a couple months down the road. This makes certain things easier and a few things harder, but it’s a good thing in the end.

Last edited:

Tooned Up

Reaction score
On the bright side.... at least you don’t have to go to work tomorrow with a hangover. Lol!

On a serious note, that’s a spineless move. I hope karma returns the favor to them.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Good thing you are working on other things already.

Best of luck on your new venture.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

Well they stuck to your first rule by doing it on a Sunday.

Water Romper

Reaction score
That really sucks. Getting laid off is hard enough but on Sunday? I guess at the end of the day, a lay off is a lay off regardless. At least you can collect unemployment for awhile, might as well get some of YOUR money back, after all, its yours.
Good luck with your new endeavor (I guess your starting out on your own?)

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Every person I fired knew they were going to get fired before I actually did it. Agree never on Friday or Monday and always in person. Usually, during their last written warning I would say " you know you are getting close to firing yourself"

Your ad here

Reaction score
I got fired on a Friday. Made my weekend so much better. It really did and felt good to throw away all their clothing and shit. I was looking for something else anyways. I would be more pissed being notified on a Sunday as I could've entered the weekend with a different, going to have more fun, mindset. The best of luck on your new adventure. There may be something in the trying to hire people thread.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I don't know, Mondays suck anyway, so I'd rather have the "bad" news then.

I've seen my company let guys go immediately back from vacation. That would be tough. One guy really deserved it and one didn't.

Good luck with your ventures, @lbhsbz

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
That really sucks. Getting laid off is hard enough but on Sunday? I guess at the end of the day, a lay off is a lay off regardless. At least you can collect unemployment for awhile, might as well get some of YOUR money back, after all, its yours.
Good luck with your new endeavor (I guess your starting out on your own?)

??? Uh, the employer pays the unemployment tax.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Sunday is an odd day to be let go. But is there really a proper day?

Good luck. There are more than enough jobs out there.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
don't let it bug you. you are tough, move on...it's good when they let you know their intentions, earlier is better, and you really are better off without them.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
The company I work for let a guy go while he was on vacation a couple days before Christmas. Welcome to corporate America
JPL laid me off while I was in the hospital recovering from a heart attack in 2008. In their defense, I was a contracted employee but still seemed shady.
I think the Aerospace Industry may be the worse when it comes to cold hearted ways to terminate employees. I could tell you some stories, lol. In my book whether your contract or direct you are still an employee. If you are out on medical leave you should not be terminated. Sorry but that is just so wrong!!!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Every person I fired knew they were going to get fired before I actually did it. Agree never on Friday or Monday and always in person. Usually, during their last written warning I would say " you know you are getting close to firing yourself"

The writing has been on the wall...since the beginning of the year, they have been slowly dismantling everything that made our company the best there was. They did there first round of layoffs a few days before Christmas, without ever even knowing the rolls of the people they let go...they just picked names off a list. Then a second round a month later, and now a 3rd I guess. I’m still waiting to hear who else got the axe yesterday...I know there were at least 3. There’s nobody left to run the business. The lease is up on our building in august, and I’ve suspect the 4 remaining personnel will be let go and about $3.5 million worth of parts samples thrown in the trash...

It’s really a shame watching it all fall apart after I spent the last 18 years helping to build it.

Welcome to Corporate America. Lol.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
That’s chicken shit for sure. Sounds like you are much better off anyhow.

Now go and run the piss out of your boat and good luck with the new business.

My former employer. That’s who.

Good riddance, it’s River time.

nowski

Reaction score
I've heard many shitty ways of people getting laid off over the years and even had my own personal experience (that had a $ilver lining) but this story takes the cake.

Guy at work was on the verge of becoming a father for the first time and everyone at work shared in his excitement. Guy calls out to work on Wednesday morning telling his supervisor that his wife is in labor and won't be in today. Guy misses work on Thursday (to be expected) and comes to work on Friday, overflowing with joy as he shares pictures of his new daughter while handing out his celebratory cigars. About an hour later the guy is walking through the shop and it was obvious that something just rocked his world. The company just laid the guy off and the reason, he didn't call out to work on Thursday. We were all in shock and in disbelief, we all felt terrible for the guy. I made a decision right then and there to pursue employment elsewhere giving them my one week notice several weeks later...

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
I think the Aerospace Industry may be the worse when it comes to cold hearted ways to terminate employees. I could tell you some stories, lol. In my book whether your contract or direct you are still an employee. If you are out on medical leave you should not be terminated. Sorry but that is just so wrong!!!

Honestly the guy they let go deserved it both times. He's not really good at his job, when our company acquired the other company they gave him 2 years, and he was still messing up. It wasn't me, but he complained to HR about another foreman that actually had to take anger management classes. They guy just couldn't get anything right. I disagree with the firing during vacation, but I told the office that he is not to be anyway affiliated with any projects that I am on.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The writing has been on the wall...since the beginning of the year, they have been slowly dismantling everything that made our company the best there was. They did there first round of layoffs a few days before Christmas, without ever even knowing the rolls of the people they let go...they just picked names off a list. Then a second round a month later, and now a 3rd I guess. I’m still waiting to hear who else got the axe yesterday...I know there were at least 3. There’s nobody left to run the business. The lease is up on our building in august, and I’ve suspect the 4 remaining personnel will be let go and about $3.5 million worth of parts samples thrown in the trash...

It’s really a shame watching it all fall apart after I spent the last 18 years helping to build it.

Welcome to Corporate America. Lol.

Look at it as an opportunity. It may be the best thing to happen to you.

HBCraig

Reaction score

As you should. So many of these ass hats don't do it that way at all.

I have had to do it a couple of times and it sucks. The folks that deserve it via stealing, drugs etc...... those are that hard

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I cannot count how many times I've been laid off right before the Christmas break. Most large aerospace companies close shop between Christmas and New Years.

HBCraig

Reaction score

That's all too common now with these big bosses not having a clue how their business works. My old boss moved me out and hired his old buddies from a different crane outfit. They didn't cut it there and went under and now they are getting their asses handed to them again.

The main problem I see in my line of work (sales) is the companies that have accounts run their sales never seem to do well. They don't understand

@lbhsbz you will be fine bro. This seems like a blessing

Ladsm

Reaction score
I have been caught up in company mergers, restructuring, reorgs, etc and its always to benefit the shareholders and get that extra cent in the stock market share price. During the plandemic I almost got furloughed "for just a few weeks till its over" Luckily I was able to find another account to work on. Now I went from being a subcontractor for Amazon to working directly for Amazon and business is booming. Hopefully they are too big to get bought out and have to re-interview for jobs again.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
That sucks man. Good luck to you on your next endeavor.