WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who likes old guitars

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
RIP MIKE GARCIA

Inherited this Gretsch, my FIL prized guitar (he left us a few cool ones) but this one is by far the coolest. In its original case as well. One thing I cannot find is the serial # to know it’s exact date. Anyone know anything about these? Not for sale just want to find out about it’s history

Attachments

• E07020AD-048F-4153-AE5E-23C1E60BF3A0.png
    E07020AD-048F-4153-AE5E-23C1E60BF3A0.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 142

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
RIP MIKE GARCIA

Inherited this Gretsch, my FIL prized guitar (he left us a few cool ones) but this one is by far the coolest. In its original case as well. One thing I cannot find is the serial # to know it’s exact date. Anyone know anything about these? Not for sale just want to find out about it’s history

The serial number should be on the back of the head stock, near the tuning keys. Looks like a Chet Atkins Tennesseean... Let's find out exactly what this thing is.

VooDooChildZ28

Reaction score
The serial number should be on the back of the head stock, near the tuning keys. Looks like a Chet Atkins Tennesseean... Let's find out exactly what this thing is.

87451 on the back of the headstock, but doesn’t line up with anything I can find

Reactions: TPC

FCT

Reaction score
595964C7-8DF8-4BFA-A290-4C6DBBB504E1.jpeg
Cool guitar and rad thing to have from your FIL. I always wanted to learn but never had the patience to learn or any natural talent at playing anything 🤣

My 5 year old is hooked already and taking lessons every week. He goes to preschool at our church and the teacher plays the guitar everyday. He came home with his heart set on playing the guitar one day and I said let’s do it buddy! This is him getting his first Taylor guitar a few months ago. 😀

FreeBird236

Reaction score
RIP MIKE GARCIA

It's out of the 60's, I think it's a Tennessean, maybe a 6122.

After a closer look, I guess It's a C.A. Nashville. It's been a while since I researched these, It's a valuable guitar, but unfortunately it's the single cutaway that brings the big money, still worth 2-3 thousand 10 years ago, maybe more now.

Last edited:

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
I don't know anything about guitars or have any desire to own one except for maybe this Gretsch and that's only because it was painted by some famous Parkabilly. :)

View attachment 1213681
View attachment 1213682
Funny thing is Jimmy is our neighbor in Parker…most anassuming guy you could meet. Super cool!

I watched him do some pinstripe in a Chevy square body a couple years ago. Amazing to watch start to finish.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have a special needs child known as a Savant. Commonly called an Idiot Savant. Sad term for sure.
Nice polite kid that tragically lacks common sense but is an Incredible guitar player like my wife.

I went into Guitar center years ago to get a few things and asked the counter guy do you have anything cool for a birthday gift for him?

He showed me the last of his American Made (at the time) Fender Telecasters that shares features with the Stratocaster.
"Bound to be a collectable" he said.
Didn't say valuable collectable, just collectable.

Fantastic guitar in sound and play-ability and quality.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I had a 76 Les Paul in Tobacco burst and sold it back in 2019 for $3500. Traded a pedal set up for it in 93. Seems it peaked in value. I'd love to find an early gold top. But the prices are just nuts. Also a seafoam strat with the big headstock.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
RIP MIKE GARCIA

There's a lot of guess work even from the current Gretsch company, but it looks like it could be a 6120 Nashville model, made in August of 1967. There appears to be no information on 1966 maybe that's one of the owner changes, but anyway 1965 model SN# stop at 85000. In 1967 thru early 70's the first # is the month and the second # is the year. I always thought the 6120 designation was for the single cutaway, but there are many references to that guitar as a 6120. I think they're calling it a 6620 today. Anyway it's a great guitar and appears to be in excellent condition. You can find more info at Gretsch.com under Support. One last thing, that guitar has the built in mute which was to deaden the string sound that Chet did with the palm of his hand, it was considered a little hoaky😁 but doesn't take away from the quality or value.

Heylam

Reaction score
I’ve got a gold top ‘76 Stratocaster. It’ll get passed down to my relatives some day.
Totally spaced out as I was looking at my strat when I posted this, but what I have is a Gold Top Gibson Les Paul that I bought new in 1976.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have a old guitar from William Clarke. He was a blues player. Harmonica was his main instrument. His son fell of the deep end after his passing. I held on to the guitar in case he ever got life figured out. Induced schizophrenia is what I diagnosed him with. Not sure where he is I'd he is even alive. But I have the guitar in case he ever wanted it. He pawned off everything else from his Dad.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Beautiful..... Alas my guitar will likely always be a "dust collector" just cant find the time but I play a badass Rock H Roll sound system 😂

Attachments

• IMG-7478.jpg
    IMG-7478.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 26

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I may have a Martin stored somewhere.

I also have a classical my mom gave me as a kid. I'm not 100 percent sure of it's heritage, but if it is what I think it is, my kids are gonna enjoy it.

Had a bunch of different electrics. Telecasterer, Strat, stuff that would be worth a fortune today.

I wish I would have saved the Dan Armstrong. It sounded like dog shit! But it was definitely a good looking piece.

Son of a bitch. Just looked up the Dan Armstrong. I guess I should have kept that one too!!! 😱

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
In 1962 I had 2 Fenders... an Acoustic "Concert" I think and an electric.... I think the electric was either a "Jaguar" or a Stratocaster, too long ago to remember. Both of those were damn NICE pieces, STUPID ME gave them away!!!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In 1962 I had 2 Fenders... an Acoustic "Concert" I think and an electric.... I think the electric was either a "Jaguar" or a Stratocaster, too long ago to remember. Both of those were damn NICE pieces, STUPID ME gave them away!!!!
Nahhhh not stupid Gramps. If we we're going to live forever is one thing. Giving somethings away to someone who appreciates it and can use it and can't otherwise afford it let alone it's scarce and hard to find,,,,,, theirs no money value put on that feeling of doing something cool. The absolute coolest thing I can think of.

Wife has / had a tough shed full of high end guitars and keyboards of all types and sizes and amps and all the excellent trick accessories. Absofuckinlutely no remorse giving them away to talented kids that could never afford anything even close. She never looked back. Woodwind instruments too.

Last edited: