WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who owns a pre-'90 car?

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Still have my first car, 25 years later.

1969 Chevelle, street car, pump gas, naturally aspirated, heavy, 421" small block chevy w/ iron heads, TH400 with 4k stall, 3.91 12 bolt with the goodies, 275 radial tire. Times on window are not current :) 11.58 @118 and never got a chance to start tuning on it. Its time to go through the car again, excited to fix some of my teenage mistakes in it.

chevelle1.jpg
chevelle3.jpg
chevelle4.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
My first ride. My Dad wanted a Land Cruiser, and in the summer of 1971 found one at Burt Toyota in Denver. I flew up from Albuquerque on Continental and drove it home. It cost around $2,300, just a couple hundred more than a Pinto, Vega, or Bug.

It was a.hella stout 4WD. We drove all over southwestern Colorado using USGS topographical maps to find the trails to mining ghost towns. There were several times I passed Jeeps and Broncos mired in snowmelt mud. They thought a high speed running start was the best tactic. I just chugged by them in 4 low, the big six had torque to spare.

As an apprentice sparky, driving a 1950 Dodge Powerwagon with military tires and a huge rack on it for carrying, setting and pulling temp power poles, I'd put that thing in 4 -low and it would crawl through mud buried to the running boards, but keep right on chugging --- I could get out, walk next to it, or go piss, come back get in, and it would just keep chugging along with or without me. When my old journeyman told me that's how to do it, I thought he was nuts and we'd be spending the afternoon digging out, nope, not ever.

nameisbond

Reaction score
You mean examples that actually run and drive?

😁

Yes!!!! The Jag is even tougher because they didn't sell them in the states, only Canada. Most are high miles basket cases. Its hard to find a mechanic for the V12 too.

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
Yes the estate's

I grew up in Ramona, Let in 96 but go back every year to see my parents/life long buddies....Good little town, I did a bunch of underground utility work/construction out in the Estates back in the day

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still have my first car, 25 years later.

1969 Chevelle, street car, pump gas, naturally aspirated, heavy, 421" small block chevy w/ iron heads, TH400 with 4k stall, 3.91 12 bolt with the goodies, 275 radial tire. Times on window are not current :) 11.58 @118 and never got a chance to start tuning on it. Its time to go through the car again, excited to fix some of my teenage mistakes in it.

That is so cool! I still have my first car that I bought 36 years ago. '65 Malibu SS, 406 with "special" heads, TH400 with 4K stall, 4.10 12 bolt with goodies, 28X11 Hoosier cheater slicks. Best times are 11.08 @ 125 in Pomona, 11.15 @ 123 in Fontana. Most people are shocked when they don't see a big block. Hope to see you at Fontana some time! I do play at Barona from time to time as well. My wife and I went to the prom in it, and drove off from the wedding in it. It is family!

DSCN0104.JPG

beerrun

Reaction score
I grew up in Ramona, Let in 96 but go back every year to see my parents/life long buddies....Good little town, I did a bunch of underground utility work/construction out in the Estates back in the day
Who did you work for doing underground

nowski

Reaction score
Super sweet 66. I wish mine was convertible. Here's mine.
View attachment 993690

First off this thread should have read "Who Owns a Pre 80's Car".

Grads: You've posted a pic (several occasions) of your Eliminator with a bunch of bikini clad girls on your boat that was nice.

Be a Hero: Lets see how many of those bikini clad girls you can get crammed into that Caddy...

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
That is so cool! I still have my first car that I bought 36 years ago. '65 Malibu SS, 406 with "special" heads, TH400 with 4K stall, 4.10 12 bolt with goodies, 28X11 Hoosier cheater slicks. Best times are 11.08 @ 125 in Pomona, 11.15 @ 123 in Fontana. Most people are shocked when they don't see a big block. Hope to see you at Fontana some time! I do play at Barona from time to time as well. My wife and I went to the prom in it, and drove off from the wedding in it. It is family!

View attachment 994100

That's bad ass, a few of my friends still have our high school rides, and we used to race at Fontana in the Summit Series. I think an RDP track day is in order. I think I had a few tenths in the tune as the car sits now, never turned a screw or changed a jet on the carb. Its from C&J, so its close :)

Main thing is if I put some real heads on it and get the compression up, its current 10:1 because of the iron heads, 11:1 on some AFR's, run my straight x pipe instead of 3 chamber flowmasters on the back, wideband O2 sensor tune, I am real curious what this street car would run. I would love to hear more about your set up.

My rear diff is 12 bolt as said, auburn diff, mark williams axle ends, T/A cover, etc, etc

Transmission is the goods from REMAC, no need to say more, and great street manners.

Small block was built by Troy at Ford Performance Solutions in Anaheim. He has done my stuff since high school, this version was done in 2006.

.604/.625 cam, 258/261 degree duration @50, 105/112 lobe separation. Too big for a street car they said, its really mild honestly, todays standards would agree
Main girdle and a few other fun tricks for way back when.

rrrr

Reaction score
As an apprentice sparky, driving a 1950 Dodge Powerwagon with military tires and a huge rack on it for carrying, setting and pulling temp power poles, I'd put that thing in 4 -low and it would crawl through mud buried to the running boards, but keep right on chugging --- I could get out, walk next to it, or go piss, come back get in, and it would just keep chugging along with or without me. When my old journeyman told me that's how to do it, I thought he was nuts and we'd be spending the afternoon digging out, nope, not ever.

When we took the top off the Land Cruiser in summer, I would get out and walk sometimes. 😁

My Dad had pipe bending equipment, and we built a nice roll bar for it. We also installed an 8,000 lb Warn PTO winch. The takeoff from the transfer case was already there, a factory installed stock piece, and the installation was a simple bolt in job.

The same Japanese superiority in design and construction which took over a good portion of the American market during the following decades was already present in the 1970 Land Cruiser. It was a badass 4WD machine. With its bulletproof 155 HP six cylinder engine and the winch, that Toyota would go up any trail, no matter how steep or rugged.

Regarding big 50s iron like your Power Wagon, my buddy Rick bought a gigantic 4WD International crew cab pickup at a US Forest Service auction for some ridiculous price like $300. We called it the Green Geek because of its atrocious two tone paint, and it would go anywhere as long as the trail was wide enough. However, it wasn't much for attracting chicks.

😁

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Yes!!!! The Jag is even tougher because they didn't sell them in the states, only Canada. Most are high miles basket cases. Its hard to find a mechanic for the V12 too.

Those mechanics all retired wealthy from doing head gasket replacements on Jaguar V-12s.

😁

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
When we took the top off the Land Cruiser in summer, I would get out and walk sometimes. 😁

My Dad had pipe bending equipment, and we built a nice roll bar for it. We also installed an 8,000 lb Warn PTO winch. The takeoff from the transfer case was a factory stock piece, and the installation was a simple bolt in job.

The same Japanese superiority in design and construction which took over a good portion of the American market during the following decades was already present in the 1970 Land Cruiser. It was a badass 4WD machine. With its bulletproof 155 HP six cylinder engine and the winch, that Toyota would go up any trail, no matter how steep or rugged.

😁

The japanese copied the Chevy six so well, parts are interchangeable. And the first land cruiser was built on a Jeep frame. So there's that.

Dan'l

nameisbond

Reaction score
Those mechanics all retired wealthy from doing head gasket replacements on Jaguar V-12s.

😁

True............... My mom got a new XJ12 in 1986. I forget at what mileage, but it needs a major service. It requires the removal of the engine to change all the plugs. Think the bill was $2,800. In 1980's dollars for a service, it was expensive. Traded it on a BMW 3 series convertible.

Speaking of 3 series BMW. A five speed convertible would be a fun cruiser.

rrrr

Reaction score
The japanese copied the Chevy six so well, parts are interchangeable. And the first land cruiser was built on a Jeep frame. So there's that.

Dan'l

Yeah, I'm aware that the Toyota six was identical in many ways to the 235 CI Chevrolet engine. Toyota founder Kiichiro Toyoda wasn't above copying Western technology during the infancy of Toyota, but it was a starting point. He continually pushed for improvement in his vehicles, beginning with bicycles after WWII ended.

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

😁

My Mother in law was good friends with Richard Carpenter who has a huge classic car collection. In the late 80's he had 2 XJ12s, one maroon and one Tahoe blue. I asked him why he had 2 and he said, "One to drive and one for the shop!"

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I took inventory. no cars anymore but five different pre 90's 2-wheeled contraptions.

jesco

Reaction score
The bodyline on your '61 is killer. The '59-'62 two door Chevys had fantastic styling.
Yeah, its a cool looking car. All original, single owner car, 52K miles, in line 6 with 3 on the tree. Still trying to figure out the direction I want to go with it. A good friend/mentor gave it to me when he moved to Idaho, he has too many projects already and said he will never get around to building this one. He told the only 2 stipulations he had were that I couldn't paint it, and can never sell it. Thinking air ride, 9" rear, LS swap, 6 speed trans, full interior... keep the exterior how it is just get the trim cleaned up. For now it sits up on the rack, gonna start collecting build parts after summer.

manxman

Reaction score
To answer the question earlier about 4 doors, More "bang for the buck". I always gravitate towards 4 doors because they are cheaper to buy. In certain year models, they are 1/3 the cost of 2 doors. If there restored correctly they can fetch 2/3 the price of a 2 door, restored the same way. I have had both and enjoy both, but for me, it's almost always about the "Deal"
20180507_094014.jpg
20180507_094029.jpg
20170826_162237.jpg
20150824_152823.jpg
20150824_152915.jpg
20161012_163659.jpg
IMG_5212.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG
64 lincoln 011 (Large).JPG
64 lincoln 012 (Large).JPG

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
To answer the question earlier about 4 doors, More "bang for the buck". I always gravitate towards 4 doors because they are cheaper to buy. In certain year models, they are 1/3 the cost of 2 doors. If there restored correctly they can fetch 2/3 the price of a 2 door, restored the same way. I have had both and enjoy both, but for me, it's almost always about the "Deal" View attachment 994605 View attachment 994606 View attachment 994607 View attachment 994608 View attachment 994609 View attachment 994610 View attachment 994611 View attachment 994612 View attachment 994613 View attachment 994614
That Lincoln is bad ass. My dad had one when I was a youngster, suicide doors and all. Always thought it would be cool to have one.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the Lincolns are the only car where the 4 doors are more desirable than 2 doors.

Here's mine.

IMG_0199.JPG

Last edited: