WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who remembers or knows what this stuff is?

236eagledave

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453831411.837090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453831463.539553.jpg
Hint: you've got to be fairly old or have worked with old stuff.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
tool to make 'tape controlled machines' operate . First used on 'screw machines', 'lathes', 'threaders' . Late 50's in aircraft and Military projects, and 1960's for general public use .

It's like a 'film editor's table', you lay the tape across it, (note 3 pins each side for alignment) PUNCH holes that give orders of 'size', 'distance', and 'timing' to the machine .

Similar to the 'info tape printout' of the original Univac Computer of the 1950's .

Too 'fancy' for a "Go-No-Go tool" ......

236eagledave

Reaction score
Bingo. I used to use that when I first learned how to program an old Cincinnati Acramatic 5 control. The center part had a blade to cut the tape or if you only had to change one character you would lay the black sticker with the solid line over your bad character and punch a new hole with the punch on the right. You had to know how to read code on the tape back in those days.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Wild, in '90-'92 I ran a Mori MV-55 with a tape reader and I modified tape, is it possible that there was a much smaller/narrower tape? I remember the holes being much smaller and rectangular in shape.

I thought I was getting old, but you fuckers predate dirt! :)

You remember it better than I.

News to me.

Brian

236eagledave

Reaction score
That was 1" tape. There may have been other sizes or formats. We used one inch tape in EIA format on the Cincinnati's and ASCII on Bridgeports. This was from teletype machines. When we got PCs we could load the Bridgeports direct thru RS232. We had to get memory boxes and tape reader emulators for the Cincinnatis. The Cincinnati was a 2 axis nc control with a cam operated quill. You could also operate the quill by hand.