WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who was or still is a street racer

Yoshiro

Reaction score
Back in the late 80s we used to run the tide flats in Tacoma, WA. My friends and I were in 5.0 liter fox body mustangs. I remember the times we lined up next to a grand national. You had to bring on your A game for that. Now I look back at the HP we were pushing at laugh at it.

77charger

Reaction score
Jr and Dirty Ronny they were legends wherever I went growing up Here is a few More Baseball Bill, Big Bill, Boyd, Vince and nI**er Mark, the Gypsy's I spent many nights at Santa Fe & Del Amo, Rockwell, Phoebe, Shoemaker, Fullerton airport, Philadelphia LA Palma, Bolsa, Manville.
Mark use to drive my bosses old green dodge truck a couple of times. Jr passed away couple years ago. My friend steve still talks to Ronnie often although he ain’t going to well he lost both legs to infection. Sucks he is one of the nicest guys there is.

he also use to help us on our first dragboat built and tuned the engine for us. His hard work also saved a race weekend.

jones performance

Reaction score
90-93 was out in ontario all the time. sat nights got too busy to get any racing in, so we started going out on wed nights. then it was every night of the week in late 92 early 93. hit up compton a few times to watch, beach & imperial in oc, hemet, and a few other spots. saw alot of shit happen during those days, ran from cops, got sat on a curb with over 100 people while the cops read us the riot act (not even a ticket issued in that case) got caught in the big busts on 3m in ontario that made the news, watched a dude on a modified zx11 lay it down when a semi turned in front of him at 120 on etiwanda, etc. all in all good times lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Back in the day when a tr big block was a big deal and trailering in on slicks was nutz.
Gave it up when I was lined up driving buddies 4 speed road runner and the trailered cars that went off before me crashed and multiple hospitalization and totaled cars.
I high school I was one of those, how’d you describe it, back straight bullshit Saturday nighters? Got some friends to go to Lions Irwindale OCIR with me and established ourselves as the real gearheads of the school. Not some after party shit talkin crosswalk burners.
Convinced some trash talkin buddies with faster cars that to race me they’d have to come to irwindale with us. Mailed a few of them letters on the line that it was time to go and congratulations that they graduated, having been schooled.
Told my kid if I found him street racing his life would change.
When he seemed to get his grades together in HS I took him to irwindale. He thought it was just a father son night out until we got in the tech line. I said you’re going drag racing.
He has since organized nights with his buddies at the, bullshit back lane whatever you call it, and taught a few how to stage, leave etc. Makes for fun car events with his friends and gets him cred.

badgas

Reaction score
Yep been there, done that. The box factory in Sante fe springs, Little alameda, long alleys, shoemaker rd. to name a few. We used to meet At the Winchell's donut shop on Abbot and Atlantic or the grocery store parking lot Orangethorpe and Brookhurst to pass the bail bag and negotiate the terms of the races.

I remember those spots in Santa Fe Springs and Cerritos. We used to go there in late 80's. People were meeting at the in-n-out in La Palma ahead of time. I remeber bringing my Dad's 911 there and getting smoked by a bug. Always respected the kids that built up thier cars/trucks and made them haul.

Fun times

BONER

Reaction score
Don’t remember seeing this L. See you ditched the 2v, was it a 4.6 or 5.4 replacement? Always digged the look of the ls coils going into the plug holes.

Badass ride for sure. You have a handle on svtp?

I built a 5.4 GT motor. All aluminum. Was stock minus the billet rotating assembly and JE Pistons. I didn't do any of the machining but I did assemble and disassemble that motor, 3 times before it went in the truck. I never hurt it, so I guess I'm a little capable in some areas.

Same handle on svtp.com, but got banned forever ago. Called Lightning Larry out for dropping dime on 200mph Lambo vid back in the day. Banned immediately.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Just missed you then. I had a full interior notch that ran 11.70's at Lacr all motor. Wish I never sold that car.
I could massacre stock mustangs and cobras by four to six cars a car or two against Z28's SS's beat me by a fender, lightning's and SS454's were easy pickings as well. 11's all motor is damn respective.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Justin Dietrich up to 7lbs. Then he turned it over to Steve Cole.

The good old days. We would be on the freeway @ 0500 doing pulls changing the tune. That truck would stripe the freeway up to 100mph. 💪
Had a 2000 with a 2.3 KB with supporting mods. Stock long block wasn't happy. 535/600 rwhp/rwtq. Never had an issue. Then an 02 and 04. Love Lightnings.

Yours must have been a hell of a ride. Mine hauled ass with only over 500 to the ground.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Had a couple vega's with small blocks on the bottle, a 71 nova 406 on the bottle and a 71 big block Chevelle on the bottle back in 80's, drove them on the street but mainly raced on tracks, 9.97 was the fastest which isn't even a grocery getter now days. Oh yea a 65 nova also river mobster built me.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I could massacre stock mustangs and cobras by four to six cars a car or two against Z28's SS's beat me by a fender, lightning's and SS454's were easy pickings as well. 11's all motor is damn respective.
Pulled the bumpers, all sound mats, spare, etc. On the valley recycle scales it was just under 2700lbs. I only weighed 165 back then hahaha

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
In my teens and early 20's, yes. Not as much as my friends as I feared the consequences of the law, but I used to run my chevelle for 20 bucks here and there :) I still have the car of course, and several different combinations along the way. We would all meet at the coffee shack in placentia on Imperial or Harbor and Imperial, this would be the late 90's and early 2000s. We all decided to start going back out after 5 years or so, but found we were too old for all that shit and the police presence was even larger to our dismay. The current combo in the chevelle.

421" small block chevy, iron heads, pump gas
TH400 with 4k stall, trans built by Remac in San Dimas
12 bolt rear end, 3.91 gears with auburn center, ford style axle ends, etc

Motor and everything else was built for nitrous, just never got going on that program as I never wanted to cage this car, and it was already in cage times without the juice at the track, upsetting them. Anyway, here's a pic. Times on window at the track are not the current combination :) You will also notice different stances, before and after rear end done.
chevelle1.jpg
chevelle2.jpg
chevelle3.jpg
chevelle4.jpg

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I remember those spots in Santa Fe Springs and Cerritos. We used to go there in late 80's. People were meeting at the in-n-out in La Palma ahead of time. I remeber bringing my Dad's 911 there and getting smoked by a bug. Always respected the kids that built up thier cars/trucks and made them haul.

Fun times
If it was this bug I apologize 😄

Late 70s thru early 90s Santa Fe and Del Amo, Compton, orangthorpe ,Teminal Island on the regular. As well as OCIR , LA County ,Carlsbad And way too many blasts through the tunnel on Lakewood Blvd in Long Beach
20210310_053108.jpg

Last edited:

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Early sixties used to drag race 37 stock body ford coupe 55 caddy with elderado dual quads ,rural area about 110 miles north of Detroit we had a quarter measured out on a nice country blacktop won most of the time, but not a heavy hitter even for that time no bucks lots of wrench time stock closed driveline with Lincoln Zepher gears used to blow trans on a regular basis, ran 14.6s mid 90s at strip, Oh and I could remove rearend and have trans out in about half hour lots of practice, we also used to go to Detroit and cruise 8 mile Big Boys to setup races, mostly buddys cars 63 Plymouth 383, 63 289 h o Fairlane, 55 chevy 370 pontiac, 64 chevy 327 300 had great times

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Etiwanda back in the early 90's before it got riced out. Made some good money in my 67 Camaro. On a good night she was a low 12 second car. Fun times.
I actually made more money with my 14 sec. cougar than I did with the 10 second comet. The Comet was an obvious racer but not so much so for the cougar. Even though the cougar would only run 14 secs. it did it @ 105 trap speed. When your doing this for money it's important not to let everyone no just how fast you really are so I would pick on guys that had legitimate 11 sec machines and ask to go heads up with no advantage. We would launch and by the hundred yd. mark the guys on the fast cars would think they had an easy win so they would start backing off just about the time my car would start freight training. By mid track I would catch them and they had already given up their advantage and didn't have enough gear to make up for the time that lost while they were sandbagging.

Last edited:

ssc

Reaction score
Back in the 70's we spent most every night on Valley Blvd in Alhambra. Thursdays, we would sometimes go to Colorado Blvd. Most Saturdays we would head off to Whittier Blvd. We had a nice section of Walnut Grove in San Gabriel where we had races. Being the idiot that I was, I raced an SS nova on Whittier blvd. I won, but so did the police as I received a ticket for Speed contest. My license was suspended for 30 days. I wish I still had my 73 formula 455. It was far from stock. I made many trips to HO specialties in Hawthorne.

Cheers, Steve

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I actually made more money with my 14 sec. cougar than I did with the 10 second comet. The Comet was an obvious racer but not so much so for the cougar. Even though the cougar would only run 14 secs. it did it @ 105 trap speed. When your doing this for money it's important not to let everyone no just how fast you really are so I would pick on guys that had legitimate 11 sec machines and ask to go heads up with no advantage. We would launch and by the hundred yd. mark the guys on the fast cars would think they had an easy win so they would start backing off just about the time my car would start freight training. By mid track I would catch them and they had already given their advantage and didn't have enough gear to make up for the time that lost while they were sandbagging.
Lol my early days of mustang with an over cammed 289 4speed with 300 gear. Didn’t leave for shit but would do 60 in first gear.

caribbean20

Reaction score
I was to poor to have a race car, but my friend wasn't.

69 Chevelle 396 with a rock crusher trans. Sat in the passenger seat on many races. Usually, Telegraph in Detroit. Was $100 a race back then in 81 ish.

We went up to Gratiot and ran some cars, but it seamed like when we would go up there he broke something. We were racing a hemi Cuda when we threw a rod. Scared the shit out of me. Next day he ordered a 454 crate.

My first engine I helped rebuild was the 396. I did help him with the 454, but he got a new girl friend and would work on it when she wasn't there. He knocked her up and he had to sell the Chevelle. Only did one race with him with the 454. Jesus it was fast.
Grew up in Detroit too. Gratiot and Woodward Av were the go to spots on Friday nights. I had a 340 ‘Cuda, won a few, lost a few.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I actually made more money with my 14 sec. cougar than I did with the 10 second comet. The Comet was an obvious racer but not so much so for the cougar. Even though the cougar would only run 14 secs. it did it @ 105 trap speed. When your doing this for money it's important not to let everyone no just how fast you really are so I would pick on guys that had legitimate 11 sec machines and ask to go heads up with no advantage. We would launch and by the hundred yd. mark the guys on the fast cars would think they had an easy win so they would start backing off just about the time my car would start freight training. By mid track I would catch them and they had already given their advantage and didn't have enough gear to make up for the time that lost while they were sandbagging.
I’m toying with doing the same thing with my el Camino to go bracket racing with my kid.
1000 ft I’m not sure of the index’s. But running 11.99 in the 11.0 but at 120 plus mph. Always be first to leave and the fastest mph in class.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Back in those days I owned a service station (Rancho Shell on Old River in Downey). When I would show up with one of my race cars there would always be some smart ass that would try and negotiate a race and when it would come to the money portion and talking C-notes the smart ass guys would try to look cool in front of their buddies with comments like " do you take credit cards? " so I always brought one of the CC machines with me so when one of the smart asses would make that comment I would whip out the machine set it on my hood and say "yes , as a matter of fact I do".

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Many of street racers I hung out with in the 80's and 90's are still street racing. King Donnie still races quite often.
Yes they are. I follow some of the action on social media. Some really good racing going on with legit race cars

BONER

Reaction score
Had a 2000 with a 2.3 KB with supporting mods. Stock long block wasn't happy. 535/600 rwhp/rwtq. Never had an issue. Then an 02 and 04. Love Lightnings.

Yours must have been a hell of a ride. Mine hauled ass with only over 500 to the ground.

The GT motor was the 3rd motor in that truck Lol.

Started out like you, 2.3KB and all the bolt ons. Wanted more so built a 2v motor, big Kenne Bell, and 150hp pills in a Nitrous Express kit. Ran hard but didn't last long. Blew that fucker sky high. Burned through a couple Ford slush box tranny's too Lol. That's when we went 4L80e. When I got rid of the truck every internal in that Trans was billet. ( I broke it more than once ) and had around $14k in it. Then came the turbos and GT motor. Originally bought a FAST EFI system and couldn't get the truck to run for over a year. Licked our wounds, sold the FAST and went to a Big Stuff 3. We were gapping 600's on 15lbs and E85 a couple months later. I've had the cab off this truck more than once as well. I touched just about every bolt on that truck, one time or another, and plenty more than once. I actually got recognized in Coulter Cadillac yesterday because of that truck. One of my better moments, I suppose....

I traded that truck for a big tire F Body with a Grand National based twin turbo 6 cyl. Car had gone 8.90's 5-6 years before it was shelved. I got the car home was tired of building / tuning / working on shit. So traded it for this :

72 Big block Nova on 3 units. Car was sorted and pretty fucking fast on the street. Turn key. All I did was pour fuel in it, check pressures, torque the wheels, and throw plugs at it once in awhile. That car actually ended up in Australia.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I must have crossed paths with more than a few of you out in Ontario or, dare I say, Compton. Etiwanda, 3M and "Airport", also Baker and a couple others. Sleepers made consistent money. Not big money, but good money. Hitting up the high school kids driving dad's new Vette or Camaro around 94-96 was low hanging fruit. An old GLX Mustang with spoked hubcaps was a yawner. Had to hit the "Chevy's Rule!" crowd though...because they never realized an 83 shouldn't be injected. Start of with the slowest guy, and sandbag. Wouldn't leave the line hard, but second gear was a different beast...that's when the button was used. Also, kept quiet exhaust...so the other guy was all anyone heard.

BONER

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I must have crossed paths with more than a few of you out in Ontario or, dare I say, Compton. Etiwanda, 3M and "Airport", also Baker and a couple others. Sleepers made consistent money. Not big money, but good money. Hitting up the high school kids driving dad's new Vette or Camaro around 94-96 was low hanging fruit. An old GLX Mustang with spoked hubcaps was a yawner. Had to hit the "Chevy's Rule!" crowd though...because they never realized an 83 shouldn't be injected. Start of with the slowest guy, and sandbag. Wouldn't leave the line hard, but second gear was a different beast...that's when the button was used. Also, kept quiet exhaust...so the other guy was all anyone heard.

From what I understand, Compton is still alive and well. Im not 100% sure, but I think there's only a handful of guys still doing this stuff in Phoenix anymore. From what I saw, it was never really a healthy scene anyway. Used to be, from what I understand. Before the ricers and excuses showed up....

boatpi

Reaction score
Whittier Blvd., Bob’s Boy! My friends and I had Kawasaki 750 triples, nothing could touch us. At times we hung out at the House of Pies parking lot across the street. And I had a Dodge surfer van for girls😎

back in the day these were 11 second bikes.

BONER

Reaction score
Anybody in this thread ever been to a TX2k event?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how you know John Scheiss

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
From what I understand, Compton is still alive and well. Im not 100% sure, but I think there's only a handful of guys still doing this stuff in Phoenix anymore. From what I saw, it was never really a healthy scene anyway. Used to be, from what I understand. Before the ricers and excuses showed up....
Been to a couple meetups, one out by Casa Grande, and another way out in the boondocks south of 40, east of Kingman. Some respectable stuff, but I think you're right. I don't think it was ever as big here.

There was a no prep deal, small tire/big tire, winner take all deal in Tucson a couple years back, but I heard the organizer was shady, and payout was an issue.

A few years back I saw a 1st gen Camaro roll in to Firebird. He clicked of a 7, and didn't show up on a trailer. Fuck me runnin'! At that moment I decided I'm too old, and too broke, to ever think about getting back into the game. The next "fast" car I'll do will feel faster than it will be. A 65 Ranchero, gasser style. The 347 will go back in, but with a toploader. The 9" will be set high, instead of the prostreet setup it's at now. It will be fun, and that's all I need.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how you know John Scheiss
He was friends with a guy I did work for, a small hot rod fabricator. At the time, John was running the office machine repair business, at least I think that's what the shop was? Maybe a family owned shop? I only met him a handful of times, it was around the same time he was on Build or Bust. I'd seen his name before when he was driving for DeFrank, but I think they parted ways before that?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
He was friends with a guy I did work for, a small hot rod fabricator. At the time, John was running the office machine repair business, at least I think that's what the shop was? Maybe a family owned shop? I only met him a handful of times, it was around the same time he was on Build or Bust. I'd seen his name before when he was driving for DeFrank, but I think they parted ways before that?
Derek?

BONER

Reaction score
Been to a couple meetups, one out by Casa Grande, and another way out in the boondocks south of 40, east of Kingman. Some respectable stuff, but I think you're right. I don't think it was ever as big here.

There was a no prep deal, small tire/big tire, winner take all deal in Tucson a couple years back, but I heard the organizer was shady, and payout was an issue.

A few years back I saw a 1st gen Camaro roll in to Firebird. He clicked of a 7, and didn't show up on a trailer. Fuck me runnin'! At that moment I decided I'm too old, and too broke, to ever think about getting back into the game. The next "fast" car I'll do will feel faster than it will be. A 65 Ranchero, gasser style. The 347 will go back in, but with a toploader. The 9" will be set high, instead of the prostreet setup it's at now. It will be fun, and that's all I need.

I actually remember hearing about that organizer that claimed the money was ".
stolen". It was stolen alright. By him.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I used to do all the local san Gabriel circuit back in the day remember new York drive in pasadena with rat face listening for the cops whitiernever was great but grand and arror at in n out on thursdays we would clean up racing my buddy had a v8 vega then I moved the motor over to a 66 ss nova plate was SS Duce also remember a 57 blown bbc with a plate called wopado also remember a dude named mitch in a brown dodge challenger we raced at rivergrade allot and lost once to Mitch but that was it.

Good Times

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yep, Bower. Tallented guy, picky as all hell, but learned a lot from him.
I used to do all the local san Gabriel circuit back in the day remember new York drive in pasadena with rat face listening for the cops whitiernever was great but grand and arror at in n out on thursdays we would clean up racing my buddy had a v8 vega then I moved the motor over to a 66 ss nova plate was SS Duce also remember a 57 blown bbc with a plate called wopado also remember a dude named mitch in a brown dodge challenger we raced at rivergrade allot and lost once to Mitch but that was it.

Good Times
Was the blown 57 bright yellow? I thought that was Ol Yeller, but was ahead of my time. The brown Challenger may have been "Slo Poke"...440 car. Ended up in Covina, south of Cienaga. If so, that car went to Oz in about 98/99, and became a General Lee clone...

Hammer

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Tuesday or Wednesday nights was Plummer in the early 2000’s? We’d meet at the el Torito parking lot I think? Friday/Saturday nights were tuxford. Used to hit LACR (won the burnout contest once) and Pomona for street legal drags.

Ran around in a 91’ Mustang notch back that ran 12.80’s on pump gas and GT 40 heads, 75MM Throttle body,E303 Cam, .tremec 5 speed and cast heads. Typical weld wheels with skinnies up front and 295/50/15’s with rolled fender wells and upper/lower control arms etc... was a fun car should have kept that car. I sold it when I bought my first boat. Lol.

Outran the cops on Plummer one night . Split to of them at the end of the street with guns drawn. It was a full on bust. By the time I got home it was on the news. Good times from my early 20’s.

I don’t have any hot rods and lost my license too many times driving like an asshole to do it again. I’d love another hot rod though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77charger

Reaction score
90-93 was out in ontario all the time. sat nights got too busy to get any racing in, so we started going out on wed nights. then it was every night of the week in late 92 early 93. hit up compton a few times to watch, beach & imperial in oc, hemet, and a few other spots. saw alot of shit happen during those days, ran from cops, got sat on a curb with over 100 people while the cops read us the riot act (not even a ticket issued in that case) got caught in the big busts on 3m in ontario that made the news, watched a dude on a modified zx11 lay it down when a semi turned in front of him at 120 on etiwanda, etc. all in all good times lol
use to go same places about 92 93 lol. Was that shoemaker you got sat on the curb with everyone? I was able to ride my bike in between and away. We’d nights couldn’t think of one of the streets but bound run for hours not one cop. Philadelphia was hit or miss.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Was part of a car club from 93-96...
Tribe out of whittier... meetings on Sundays, cruising whittier, Legg lake... car shows and map point street racing by Montebello Park or in city of industry. Thats why I enjoyed the original fast and furious.. somewhat embellished but most spot on on the ricer circuit. Got lucky one time in whittier.... once me and another racer took off the line....smoked the tires... cherries and berries lit up right after... decided to make a run, but with a lowered car in Montebello side streets, it would have caused so much damage so I pulled over and got an exhibition of speed... got lucky....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What kind of car did you have?

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Tuesday or Wednesday nights was Plummer in the early 2000’s? We’d meet at the el Torito parking lot I think? Friday/Saturday nights were tuxford. Used to hit LACR (won the burnout contest once) and Pomona for street legal drags.

Ran around in a 91’ Mustang notch back that ran 12.80’s on pump gas and GT 40 heads, 75MM Throttle body,E303 Cam, .tremec 5 speed and cast heads. Typical weld wheels with skinnies up front and 295/50/15’s with rolled fender wells and upper/lower control arms etc... was a fun car should have kept that car. I sold it when I bought my first boat. Lol.

Outran the cops on Plummer one night . Split to of them at the end of the street with guns drawn. It was a full on bust. By the time I got home it was on the news. Good times from my early 20’s.

I don’t have any hot rods and lost my license too many times driving like an asshole to do it again. I’d love another hot rod though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think my buddy and his GF (now wife) got tickets that night on plummer (actually Randy's supervisor) for aiding and abetting or whatever that ticket is for watching.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Plummer and Haskell was a good spot. I liked Sepulveda and San Fernando Mission when they met at the old Lumber City and raced towards Rinaldi (freeway on-ramp).

Saw plenty of good races on Del Norte in Camarillo as well.

Last edited: