WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who was or still is a street racer

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don’t remember Wannamaker. I raced off Wineville a few times. Then there was the street behind Etiwanda, I think it was Dulles street or something? It has speed bumps there now. Oh, and I remember going to Baker, north of the 60 to race some of the Carb Shop guys a few times.
Speed bumps went in in 94 or 95...

But that reminds me. Anyone remember seeing a square body stepside, black primer prerunner? Pretty healthy, saw him race some foxes and a buch of the HKS crowd. My guess would be a mid 12 or so?

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Was big into cars right when The Fast and the Furious came out and that whole scene exploded.

May have to get into trouble again soon though:

IMG_4537.jpg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Since you mentioned Cougar, I saw this beauty (429 Cobra Jet) at Car's & Coffee Chino Hills a week and a half ago...
View attachment 980872 View attachment 980873
1970, exactly the year I'm talking about. It's hard to tell from the pic but it does look like somebody squeezed a 429 in there. The biggest engine available from the factory for that year was 428 FE motor but I have seen a few 29's retrofitted.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
wannamaker is where the family fun center used to be 15 and jurupa. we also raced on santa ana in front of ht emopar warehouse, also dulles next to neslte warehouse, on etiwanda heading north, starting line was cantu galleano, then carnegie and doubleday by the airport...
I remember wannamaker now. And For the life of me, I couldn’t remember “Nestle”. That was a few beers and head injuries ago

4Waters

Reaction score
1970, exactly the year I'm talking about. It's hard to tell from the pic but it does look like somebody squeezed a 429 in there. The biggest engine available from the factory for that year was 428 FE motor but I have seen a few 29's retrofitted.
That is definitely a 385 series

4Waters

Reaction score
Kind of what I thought based on AC compressor and thermostat housing but I couldn't be sure from that pic. I'm looking at a very small screen.
I can tell by the head bolt location and valve cover is too wide but the t-stat housing is the dead give away.

parker ed

Reaction score
Damn bringing back some memories. Anyone remember Dan with the white 66 nova? License plate said CHEV2GO. Mark "cabbage patch" used to drive it. I remember waiting on Shoemaker until like 4:30 am to watch Rick Taddlows Dart get 20 cars from a Pro Stock bike.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I had a good buddy growing up in high school who was always into Volkswagen's, both He and his older brother.
He got married, moved to Kentucky, and then to Florida, and kept after it racing turbo charged bugs.
I lost touch with him, but I've seen a couple of vids of him on the track, . . . those things are crazy fast for little air-coolers.
Here's one I found of him doing a 'Beer Run' in Florida in a turbo-charged old bug.
He opens it up a little . . . but he's a pretty safe dude . . . he's got a couple boys now.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I have a question for all those muscle heads that still have cars, I have been thinking about selling my 68 ss elco all numbers matching and wanted some feedback on where the best site or place to move it would be? I would assume all of us with this similar interest would be searching for stuff somewhere but I dont want to do the craigslist deal with thousands of fake people and tire kickers. I tried a few classic sites and also offerup and marketplace but seems its not the right fit for those sites. Any ideas or knows that I should know?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I have a question for all those muscle heads that still have cars, I have been thinking about selling my 68 ss elco all numbers matching and wanted some feedback on where the best site or place to move it would be? I would assume all of us with this similar interest would be searching for stuff somewhere but I dont want to do the craigslist deal with thousands of fake people and tire kickers. I tried a few classic sites and also offerup and marketplace but seems its not the right fit for those sites. Any ideas or knows that I should know?

I only use these two.

Taboma

Reaction score

I had the only 68' 428CJ Cougar GT sold new in Orange County. I'm only aware of the 429CJ being first offered in 71', both as a Ram-Air and non Ram-Air option.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Bringatrailer.com
Sad, that elky will only bring half what an equivalent Chevelle will bring.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm not a Cougar expert by any means. I noticed that it was not only a nice car but what was under the hood is what got my attention...

Cool car, but a rather odd engine swap to a 429, considering the different bolt pattern vs a FE.
In the mid 70's we swapped out a 390 in my Buddy's F250 for a 429 he'd gotten his hands on and it proved to be more challenging then he'd planned on.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
i did back in the 90’s and loved it. Had a notchback blown fox body mustang that I bought off the editor of Super Ford Magazine. Nothing like the power they are getting now, but was good back then.

Taboma

Reaction score
Just had a mental flashback to a Cobrajet header install I had almost forgotten...3 piece headers and profanity...lots of profanity 🖕

Just changing # 8 caused me to create new words and I might have taken out the windshield had my dad not intervened and sent me to the corner to cool off. 😂
Once I'd re-gathered my senses, we devised a new arrangement of extensions and universals just for that plug.

I did however get really good at replacing the driver side engine mount. When it let go, which was often, the clutch pedal dropped to the floor and you were now shifting without the clutch and hoping to get green lights until you could pull into a parking lot to jack the engine back up, get the linkage back in place and drive it home gently.
Of all the cars I've owned, that 68 Cougar CJ was my favorite.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Just had a mental flashback to a Cobrajet header install I had almost forgotten...3 piece headers and profanity...lots of profanity 🖕

Yeah, I get it. Took me a week to put headers on my 68 Torino. Had to modify several wrenches to get it done.

Not my cars but good pics to show the struggle is real. :)

1968_ford_mustang_cobra_jet_02.jpg
cj.jpg