WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whole house fan..

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Just had one installed, Who has one? When do you run it? Evening? Morning? What kind of temp drop do you get?

thedan

Reaction score
Last night in Jurupa Valley, start at 8pm (78°) and off at 3am(timer). Woke up to 71°. Left on all night would be 65°🥶.

DWC

Reaction score
Just had one installed, Who has one? When do you run it? Evening? Morning? What kind of temp drop do you get?
I wait until the temp outside drops below what it is in the house Sometimes that’s later at night, sometimes in the morning. (This morning was perfect) I’ll flip it back on in the AM to cool down the house and attic and flip it off before it warms up outside. The temp drop really depends on outside temps. You can get better results opening the window next to you wide open and just cracking a few others.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I installed the quiet-cool a couple of years ago and we use it a lot, mostly at night once the sun goes down. When ever the outdoor temp is lower than the indoor temp is when you will want to run it. Make sure to have a few widows or doors open in the rooms you want to cool before turning it on.

MCnParker

Reaction score
What brand and who did the install, trying to convince my wife this is a good idea for us.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I wait until the temp outside drops below what it is in the house Sometimes that’s later at night, sometimes in the morning. (This morning was perfect) I’ll flip it back on in the AM to cool down the house and attic and flip it off before it warms up outside. The temp drop really depends on outside temps. You can get better results opening the window next to you wide open and just cracking a few others.

This. Open windows close to the fan very little, and open windows far from the fan all the way to draw air through the entire house.
You will have to experiment as to what works in your house and how best to cool particular rooms.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What brand and who did the install, trying to convince my wife this is a good idea for us.

QuietCool came and did my install of their fan. They were in and out in a couple hours.

I have the Black stealth brushless motor model.

DWC

Reaction score
X2 on the quiet cool. I’ve owned 2 other direct drive units mounted in the ceiling They’re loud as hell. Had a massive 36” belt drive unit in Atl Sounded like a helicopter but moved a shit ton of air

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
turned it on about 8pm 74ish outside, timer goes until about 5 am 68 inside when i woke up about 4am.
as said above. we crack a few windows downstairs then open up the bedroom windows more. put a door stop in the doors so they won't close / slam shut.
Also turn it on before the AC for a few just to blow some of the hot air out of the attic.

And X3 on the QuietCool

sintax

Reaction score

Airscape is who i have and would HIGHLY recommend. It uses 4 smaller fans instead of the larger single fan. Its more efficient and way quieter than my buddies who uses the big single fan.

the new ones are even "smart" and you can control them from your phone.

DWC

Reaction score
This. Open windows close to the fan very little, and open windows far from the fan all the way to draw air through the entire house.
You will have to experiment as to what works in your house and how best to cool particular rooms.
The experimenting is key. I tried just opening our room upstairs. Works great while it’s running. It doesn’t cool downstairs enough so when it’s off the hot air makes it way to the room

sintax

Reaction score
I have an Airscape fan, its awesome. I put it in maybe 5 years ago and its saved me so much on AC over those years. It seems like most of the year I can run it to cool the house off to a very reasonable temp. I dont know how I lived so long without it before. Outside of a reverse osmosis setup, its the first thing i'd do to a new house.

Halvecto

Reaction score
This is good info. I've been considering installing this, but waffled on wholehouse vs QuietCool. I have a single story, so it would be efficient. Recognizing it likely depends on the landscape near the windows, have you all noticed significantly more dust?

I notice even now, at the end of summer when it's driest, the dust increases until we get cooler moisture in the mornings.

DWC

Reaction score
This is good info. I've been considering installing this, but waffled on wholehouse vs QuietCool. I have a single story, so it would be efficient. Recognizing it likely depends on the landscape near the windows, have you all noticed significantly more dust?

I notice even now, at the end of summer when it's driest, the dust increases until we get cooler moisture in the mornings.
We really don’t notice much more dust when using the fan. I’m sure it’s a little but nothing that would make me stop using it. I did make the mistake of using our Atlanta unit in the middle of pollen season. Damn screens were yellow in a heartbeat.

2Driver

Reaction score
They’re loud as hell. Had a massive 36” belt drive unit in Atl Sounded like a helicopter but moved a shit ton of air

Ha that’s what we have, our house is from the 70’s. It got rigged into the attic access door in a utility room so I have to open the access door first.

It sounds like a cessna doing a run-up. 😄 It will blow out a candle in the hallway.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How much was the install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was about $1500 out the door. Best $1500 I’ve spent on my house.

If you walk outside often in the spring and fall and think “I wish my house was this temperature.”, or if you like it really cool when you sleep, get one. It won’t help at all in the summer though.

redone76

Reaction score
Ha that’s what we have, our house is from the 70’s. It got rigged into the attic access door in a utility room so I have to open the access door first.

It sounds like a cessna doing a run-up. 😄 It will blow out a candle in the hallway.
Ha! My brothers is the same way. You better have something sturdy holding the doors open and all loose papers and articles of clothing better be put away or it makes a mess

cxr

Reaction score
hmmm wonder if this will work. i have 2 bedrooms in the front of the house that just stay HOT all the time :(

have central Air/ Heat, older house, vinyl windos and tried hosing down the outside AC just wont cool these 2 rooms.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Funny story, the other day my wife asks "should I turn the sucker fan on?" So we started talking, how did we start calling it a sucker fan, thats really a terrible name. We figured one of our kids called it that when they were little and it stuck.

So we have a sucker fan. I will usually turn it on in the morning for about 30 min before I leave to work. Helps give the AC a break on hot days since the house stays a little cooler before it kicks on.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
IMO when you open all the windows they do not work as good. We open 1 or 2 in the farthest rooms (opposite sides of the house). Seems to work better

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We really don’t notice much more dust when using the fan. I’m sure it’s a little but nothing that would make me stop using it. I did make the mistake of using our Atlanta unit in the middle of pollen season. Damn screens were yellow in a heartbeat.
Here in norco it’s pretty dusty. Not so bad I won’t use it but it’s a little dusty sometimes.

Reactions: DWC

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Our new house has one, works great under the right circumstances. I'll run it late afternoon / evening when the outside temps drop below the house tempurature. Can also run it in the morning if you want to cool the house down and its colder outside than inside. We have cut back dramatically on our AC usage. Of course - we moved to TO, so that in itself has cut back dramatically on our AC usage!

I can drop our temp from 80 to 74 running the fan an hour. Seems to work best opening our downstairs slider and a window, and letting it draw the air thru the house / up the stairs. You can really feel the airflow moving in the house, it's awesome.

Downside - mine sounds like a healthy clutch fan climbing the Needles grade. I haven't given it the wet towel test.....

DWC

Reaction score
hmmm wonder if this will work. i have 2 bedrooms in the front of the house that just stay HOT all the time :(

have central Air/ Heat, older house, vinyl windos and tried hosing down the outside AC just wont cool these 2 rooms.
Our back 2 rooms did the same. I cut into the stucco and added a vent. Helped quite a bit. Surprising to shoot different areas of the attic with a temp gun. There are areas that just don’t cool down without some air flow.

DWC

Reaction score
Here in norco it’s pretty dusty. Not so bad I won’t use it but it’s a little dusty sometimes.
We used to have a field of assorted crops across the street until last year. Santa Ana’s absolutely sucked. Killed the pool and everything else. I wasn’t happy at first when they started building. Pretty happy about it now.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Ok, riddle me this, Crank up the fan yesterday morning when house is at 74 inside and 66 outside let it run until inside shows 69 (about 45 minutes) and within a hour inside is back to 73? Wife says it’s a waste of money and noise (Thing sounds like a jet is taking off in the hallway) I say if it cools the attic it’s worth it? Thoughts?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
So I take it you didn't install a quite-cool but a helicopter blade instead?
Those that you mount directly in the ceiling are loud, I can barely hear my quite-cool from our bedroom and it's just in the hallway. As a matter of fact it puts me to sleep. 😁

1601995742201.png

SoCalDave

Reaction score

Sounds more like a duct distribution issue than anything. They do make smaller units just for single room use.

1601996149638.png

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ok, riddle me this, Crank up the fan yesterday morning when house is at 74 inside and 66 outside let it run until inside shows 69 (about 45 minutes) and within a hour inside is back to 73? Wife says it’s a waste of money and noise (Thing sounds like a jet is taking off in the hallway) I say if it cools the attic it’s worth it? Thoughts?
What SoCalDave said...... Sounds like you have a monster prop fan in the hall ceiling that is just open to the attic...... Those suck. Since they arent ducted outside your airflow is dependent upon how much venting you have in the attic and since prop fan do not do well with pressure, I'm willing to bet there are not nearly enough attic vents to move the air it wants to push so the pressure increases in the attic and airflow drops off rather quickly. You get that first initial drop because as the attic cools it draws in more air (hot air is less dense than cooler air) but once that temp evens out your down to just the attic vents being the limiting factor and there isn't enough of them. If you do nothing else, your wife is probably right. It will help to reduce SOME heat soak in the attic, but again, the attic vents sounds like they are your limiting factor.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk