WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who's a good swimmer?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Like the title says, who here is a good swimmer?

Believe it or not i know some boat owners who can't swim. They wear a life vests the whole time while on the boat.

Can you tread water for a significant amount of time?

Could you swim to shore if your boat sunk in the middle of the lake?

JD D05

Reaction score
I could. The better shape I am in obviously the easier it is...I have a friend I boat with that can't swim. I was born with it though...use to jump into the deep end and dive for coins when I was 3. Other parents would panic and jump in to help me as I swam off. Apparently my mom use to get a kick out of that.

fmo24

Reaction score
I grew up around the water. Swim team and water polo and junior lifeguards all thru school. Still swim every day when pool is warm enough. I just ordered a resistance band you tie off end of pool and connects to your ankles so you swim in place

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'm decent. Did the cove guard thing at raging waters for a couple years. I want to say we had to tread water w something over our head for a while. And swim so many laps in a certain amount of time. I'm pretty sure I'd make it to shore from anywhere on lake Mohave

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
A couple times swimming a decent distance in a lake, started getting tired. Relax, tread water, carry on. [emoji1]

28Eliminator

Reaction score
JV and Varsity swim team in HS[emoji4]. Of course that was a long time Ago.. Lol.

77charger

Reaction score
Im not a fast swimmer but i would say i was a good swimmer when younger.Today prob not as good but i can use patience and float.It would be slow and easy for me if it were life and death situation.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I grew up around the water. Pretty good and confident swimmer. Havent done it in a while but used to jump in the big blue sea for a swim 20 miles off shore. I'm suprised the amount of people that can't or have a fear of swimming.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I excelled at swimming. Won a few competitions and medals back when I was 10-11 years old.

Surfing also helped a ton. You learn how to handle the underwater currents ... along with knowing how it handles you, learn how to be calm while underwater, learn how to hold your breath better, as well as treading water.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I excelled at swimming. Won a few competitions and medals back when I was 10-11 years old.

Surfing also helped a ton. You learn how to handle the underwater currents ... along with knowing how it handles you, learn how to be calm while underwater, learn how to hold your breath better, as well as treading water.

Tongan skills. :D

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
3 years of water polo during high school, surfing and skiing in 5th grade, a pool since 1974.
I'm about a novice/beginner swimmer. :cool

Dan'l

Faceaz

Reaction score
I'm good (or was good). Had a time in the mile to qualify for Olympic Trials, but never went. Still hold high school and college records from the mid 90's. Like riding a bike, I can jump in an go, only now I last about 30 seconds instead of 15 minutes :D.

Ocean is a different story. I did one 3 mile distance swim down near San Diego. Course was set-up like a square, I completely lost my bearings after rounding the 2nd bouy and went back towards the start. I like to say I got first in the 3 1/2 mile swim, but ended up 2nd overall.

Richard.E

Reaction score
Used to be BSA life guard certified. Have done mile swims before.

Like others have said swimming in the big blue is a different animal; you have to understand tides and rip currents to be fully safe. Every summer I usually end up going out and pulling in a younger kid or two near the pier when the lifeguards aren't on duty after sunset.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
<---------Great swimmer and I wear my life vest when going over 50 m.p.h.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I was a lifeguard, taught swimming lessons all the way up through lifeguard and managed a city and a YMCA pool nearly becoming a Water Safety Instructor Trainer for the state of SD. The only problem I had and still have is I sink like a rock.

Lumpy

Reaction score
39 year surfing vet. Free dived a bit in my youth. Can swim the distance at the Nautical pool underwater:D

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Now that I am old and fatter I would say that I can hold my own if disaster happens. I have no fear of water, just am not in great condition to hop in and swim for along time. When I was in my early teens I spent the summer months avoiding the disaster at home and hung out with my friends on Lake Washington. Most of this occurred after hours and involved dock jumping our pride and joy BMX bikes in to the lake. I didn't have a life preserver to tie to the handle bars so I spent a lot of time diving 10 - 20' to retrieve my bike in the dark.

One of my friends invited to me to a family BBQ on Lake Sammamish and my buddy and I swam out to the skier dock about a 1/4 mile away. I was 12 and started to freak out when we got close but realized it was all in my head and just calmed down and swam the wrest of the way. After a half hour on the dock we swam back to shore. Ever since then I have been cool with any distance of swimming. Worst case scenario is floating until you catch your breath and then continue.

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
We used to measure our endurance by going out beyond the breakers at HB and heading for the next lifeguard station north,

I suspect back then that there were a couple of city blocks between them (now probably half that). This, incidentally, made our Mom?s WILD.

These days, as old and fat and out of condition as I am I would be happy to thrash out beyond the breakers and not have to draw the attention of the lifeguards. .

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Won a bunch of trophies as a kid. A mile was just a warmup. Used to jump off 100 ft cliffs into into 300 ft water. Summers I pretty much never had my feet on the ground. Now, I could make it to shore in most of the ponds here in kommifornia and arizona. But not fast

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Jr lifeguard when younger.
Swim team and dive team.
Can still do all the strokes, but pretty sloppy now!!

Still do gainers off the low board. Pisses the kids off that old fat grandpa does diving board tricks.

Can't go as far as I used to without rolling over and backstroking to rest.
Can still do a full length in our old 42' long pool underwater without surfacing...but just barely.

I would never think that being a solid swimmer negates the wearing of a life vest though.

It's one thing to jump in and swim, it's quite another to hit the water without notice and lose your breath.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A couple years ago I tried to swim a good distance that I used to be able to do so. But my rounder shape and lack of endurance didn't allow me to do it as well or as fast as I used to be able to. I just stopped and treaded water for a while and continued on. So ya, I think I could handle myself in a sticky situation type thing.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Not a good swimmer but thankfully I was when I was younger as shown below.

Sperm-crawl.jpg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I was a lifeguard, taught swimming lessons all the way up through lifeguard and managed a city and a YMCA pool nearly becoming a Water Safety Instructor Trainer for the state of SD. The only problem I had and still have is I sink like a rock.

Me too. Had an interesting time scuba diving [emoji12]

Demoman

Reaction score
Most mornings at the river I will swim the 11 miles from the house up to the Avi for breakfast and a Bloody Mary! I usually catch a ride back into Needles to avoid the after eating cramps!

racered

Reaction score
I wear a life jacket every time while under way. I learned to swim over 50 years ago, I still water ski, and love to float without worry of sinking while wearing a jacket. If the worst happened and I had the chance, I would grab the ice chest with the beer and float to shore. Swimming for my life does not appeal to me.

redone76

Reaction score
Beer belly = great floater. Then its the old backstroke to my destination

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
4 years on the high school swim team, so I know the techniques. Haven't swum further than from the end of a ski rope back to the boat in 30 years. Went to a pool for a lunch hour workout with some triathletes a couple years ago and felt like I was dying doing 10 lengths.

My dad is my idol. He never stopped competing. Now 82, he still can do two pool lengths of the damn butterfly. Crushes at the local senior Olympics every year. Makes all the old girls look.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I grew-up on a lake so it is second nature for me. But if you are in my boat and want to jump off in the lake/river your taking a life vest with you...I can't see you if you sink to the bottom like in a pool.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
always liked to swim, in fact, was drafted for HS water polo.....SCUBA certified when 14yrs old, lived in Hawaii and often snorkeled and free dove to as deep as 50 ft for fish and squid.

Strange though, I have never surfed other than boogie boards.

lebel409

Reaction score
YMCA, city swim lessons...now I teach the BSA swimming merit badge.

My most awesome swimming feat was when I was about 17, was playing frisbee north of Needles and one of the guys sailed it....mid river, real fast current. They said,"eh, we'll get another frisbee". I'd just opened a beer, but jumped in after it swam out, got it and swan back without spilling a drop. I realized later I was doing the rescue stroke...for the beer.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Wife and I love the water and are decent swimmers. We have snorkeled a fair amount at Havasu and along Parker strip.
Had all the kids take swimming lessons at a very young age. They all swim like fish.

underpressure

Reaction score
Swimming (1 mile) and Life Saving (tread water for something like 45 minutes and had to "rescue" a submerged person) merit badges back in the BSA days...

Now, lucky to make it from bow to stern...If I "had" to, could make it to shore though:eek

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Pretty confident that I could make it to shore from the middle of Mohave or Havasu. But the "sink like a rock" comment has always been my downfall. The wife and kids can just stop and float like a f'n bouy... me with no movement and I'm going to the bottom:grumble:

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
I was the fastest swimmer out of at least 10,000 other little guys about 30 years ago... :eek

Reactions: t&y

farmo83

Reaction score
I've always been able to get around swimming but it's not the same as having to swim any distance. I did an Ironman 3 years ago and quickly found out I needed swim lessons to not drown. I'm no wear near in Ironman shape but I still do go to a local training lake a few times a summer for a swim workout so overall I would say I swim pretty good for a fat ass.

Some friends of mine do a beerathalon every year which is a swimming race with chugging beers thrown in. The results are normally comical so I can swim after having had a few beers.

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
Even better question - do you have friends who are good swimmers? If you hit your head or get hurt who's going to save you?

Something to think about.

lebel409

Reaction score
I'm covered...Daughter is a strong swimmer and waterpolo player, Son is a strong swimmer, waterpolo and Lifeguard, wife played waterpolo and was a lifeguard trainer...I guess I need to be nice to them:grumble:

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I CAN]

haves friend who has had boat for years how cant
i pushed hm in water at castsaivc one time and the n had t jump i to help nhi
dumb sho t