WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who's got an old engine block sitting around in Havasu??

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to set buoy for my boat at the lake house and looking for a heavy engine block or anything else that I can put a chain on and set a buoy off the back of my place in Havasu.

I'm sure someone have one hanging around......isn't that why they call them "Boat anchors" after they blow up [emoji16]

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Give Barry a call. He has Cofooters Ford at his shop. :D

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Give Barry a call. He has Cofooters Ford at his shop. :D

Yeah, but it's all cleaned up and pretty now. I should be able to help, also have some BBC cylinder heads that do a pretty good job but would not be so hard for one person to handle into the water.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to set buoy for my boat at the lake house and looking for a heavy engine block or anything else that I can put a chain on and set a buoy off the back of my place in Havasu.

I'm sure someone have one hanging around......isn't that why they call them "Boat anchors" after they blow up [emoji16]

Some of them are called boat anchors even before they blow up. ;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's all cleaned up and pretty now. I should be able to help, also have some BBC cylinder heads that do a pretty good job but would not be so hard for one person to handle into the water.

Yea I would think even a bare iron BBC would be pretty hard to handle other than on an aluminum patio boat.

buck35

Reaction score
When we put our dock in years ago we got a couple of septic lids and floated them out on a tube with plywood on top and spilled them off where we wanted them . Been 25 years now.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I would form and pour yourself a 2x2 4 inch thick block. Put an SS eyelit on it and should last.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I can move a bbc bare block myself but it’s not easy! How do you plan on getting it out to the water?

A friend in needles did this and they used a Lilly pad with a piece of plywood on top and floated it out and 3 guys tipped it into the water. This was a major task

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Paul, was it hard to get the proper permits to set a buoy? What agency did you have to go through?

:):):)

Permits?

I think I see what you did there.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I can move a bbc bare block myself but it’s not easy! How do you plan on getting it out to the water?

A friend in needles did this and they used a Lilly pad with a piece of plywood on top and floated it out and 3 guys tipped it into the water. This was a major task

I did this years ago at Havasu, using several large home made concrete pylons, chained and shackled together. Floated them out, suspended under a combination of floats lashed together. In theory a great plan, in reality the wind had kicked the waves up, so the controlling this unruly mess became more challenging. The plan was, swim it floating to the proper drop point, then cut it loose. We should have had one extra swimmer strictly managing the mooring line (There was two of us, ummm, my wife and I :eek:). We got it into place, struggling to hold it steady, prepared to cut it loose, but the damned mooring line was being pushed all around us. Honestly, it turned into a bit of a shit show, words were exchanged :p :rolleyes: But during a brief lull, I cut it loose and was sure relieved when neither of us disappeared rapidly along with the pylons :D Boats cut the mooring line several times, I repaired it using scuba, eventually stopped using it and by now it's somewhere down there, buried under bottom muck.
Good luck and be careful !!!

DC-88

Reaction score
Nothing anchors a boat like a 455 Olds block;) - I did some sonatubes on ours but had a big excavator there to set them and pre dig a little hole at low water. If you do the swim/ float deal make sure you have a good little knife on you when you release that shit.... I can't afford to lose you anytime soon !

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Well that's a bet I'd have surely lost !! I also see aluminum is almost the same weight as granite and marble.

I usually use that asadrinkinfunfact when peeps talk about how 'light" aluminum is.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Always worked for us, but it wasn't at Havasu. We left the rebar sticking out about a foot on each side so when it laid on its side it would grab.
I actually have one of those made but the place where it will be gets pretty chopped up by Jet-skis and roll-bar boats so we've found over the year that anything heavier than a 3 person jet-ski needs more heft!

I was actually thinking that I would tie them both together and then use the 5GA to help pull the EB off the front of the pontoon boat :)

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Go buy a patio umbrella stand at Home Depot, problem solved.

buck35

Reaction score
I spent 18 years at an aluminum refinery and never heard that, for real? I've poured my share of pads,hauling sand and rock and that shit is heavy!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I spent 18 years at an aluminum refinery and never heard that, for real? I've poured my share of pads,hauling sand and rock and that shit is heavy!

Yessir.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
out at our spot in parker i have 2 milkcrates bolted together and filled with concrete. holds my 21' howard no problem. we floated them out with some sort scuba bag my buddy had.

milkmoney

Reaction score
out at our spot in parker i have 2 milkcrates bolted together and filled with concrete. holds my 21' howard no problem. we floated them out with some sort scuba bag my buddy had.
It's a federal offense to have possession of those milk crates , could you please return them to the proper distribution center

We thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Federal dairy commission [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul65k

Reaction score
It's a federal offense to have possession of those milk crates , could you please return them to the proper distribution center

Thanks for the help.........way to always stay on point Milkey

ltbaney1

Reaction score

i got them fair and square from behind the grocery store. asked the kid out back having a smoke, can i take 2 of these. he looked around and said "i dont give 2 sh**s if you take all of them". so i had permission. and i dont like milk anyway.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Nothing anchors a boat like a 455 Olds block;) - I did some sonatubes on ours but had a big excavator there to set them and pre dig a little hole at low water. If you do the swim/ float deal make sure you have a good little knife on you when you release that shit.... I can't afford to lose you anytime soon !
I think a 440 chrysler motor weighs more and there are a few Mopar guys you could get one from.

teded

Reaction score
IMG_0877.JPG
took one of these and put a 2" pvc through the middle, 4 60 lbs sacks of cement or so mixed up. Put galvanized chain through the pvc , tide a bouy to it and dropped it in. Got a cheaper bin from somewhere, that was just for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul65k

Reaction score
View attachment 616622 took one of these and put a 2" pvc through the middle, 4 60 lbs sacks of cement or so mixed up. Put galvanized chain through the pvc , tide a bouy to it and dropped it in. Got a cheaper bin from somewhere, that was just for the idea.

That's a really good idea.......much easier to slide off the pontoon as well.

Seems like it might work even better with some rebar through the sides

milkmoney

Reaction score
i got them fair and square from behind the grocery store. asked the kid out back having a smoke, can i take 2 of these. he looked around and said "i dont give 2 sh**s if you take all of them". so i had permission. and i dont like milk anyway.
Lol. Ya the lazy bastard didn't want to pick them up and stack them. Lol [emoji106] [emoji202]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I think a 440 chrysler motor weighs more and there are a few Mopar guys you could get one from.
Negatory, After fucking with a big block Chevy, I am pretty sure a Mopar weighs less. In fact I think a big block chevy weighs close to or more than an iron Hemi.

Last edited:

DC-88

Reaction score
After fucking with a big block Chevy, I am pretty sure a Mopar weighs less. In fact I think a big block chevy weighs close to or more than an iron Hemi.
Mine was just smart ass sarcasm of the highest and best use of a 455 as an anchor as opposed to other marine use :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Mine was just smart ass sarcasm of the highest and best use of a 455 as an anchor as opposed to other marine use :)

As a former owner, I am 100% behind that statement as well. ;)

I even went through one and put it back in. :)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The ski dock here at Naci uses a 45 gallon trash can filled with concrete and a couple long stainless eye bolts with a couple nuts and washers on the threads to anchor the entire dock. Appears to do the trick quiet well. They have 2 dofferent locations for the dock based on water level and move it between the 2 anchors all the time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
You're overthinking this, Paul. Just hold your breath and tie a line to a rock that's already down there.

..:In all my years of staying at the Polynesian up by the dam I never saw anybody use anything other than a big rock some ski line and a life belt as a bouy...Of course It was back in the Vdrive flatbotom days and only for the weekend or a week tops...Sometimes we would have to drive a bit to find a suitable rock...all part of the ‘60’s at the river adventure...:rolleyes:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Need 2
5 gallon bucket with a couple pieces of rebar through it filled with concrete, hook chain to the rebar and out the top. Cheap and easy.
need 2 linked together for Parker on a holiday weekend . Have 2 extra sitting out there can make more next concrete pour should be next week.

wishiknew

Reaction score
..:In all my years of staying at the Polynesian up by the dam I never saw anybody use anything other than a big rock some ski line and a life belt as a bouy...Of course It was back in the Vdrive flatbotom days and only for the weekend or a week tops...Sometimes we would have to drive a bit to find a suitable rock...all part of the ‘60’s at the river adventure...:rolleyes:
My parents still have a house there we built in 1970

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score

I can't get the auto start to work. Skip to 2:44

So a pound of concrete is lighter then a pound of aluminum?

Beat me to it.

Last edited: