WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who's the Photoshop expert on here??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have a version that was probably built for Win3.1. It's old!!! lol

Does Elements do the same things? Or do I need Photoshop??

My main use is...

Creating a blank pic, the exact size I need, Then resizing multiple other pics so i can fit em into the new window I just made. This way I can have multiple pics all sized exactly the same and scaled the way I want them. It's absolutely necessary for building web pages. Sometimes with a clear background, so I end up with a .png file or a .jpg

I Really don't want to buy one of Adobe's new subscriptions plans! I'd like to buy maybe a version of Photoshop, that's a few years old, that doesn't have a subscription, or Elements, IF it will do what I need? Where could I get a legit program of either one?

Thanks in advance!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Have you looked at GIMP. I have but really haven't set down to learn it yet.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Then I got this book
20200530_140902.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I enjoy pretending, while I make very special cards and various fun pics for my wife and family members. As a hobby I've been using various editions of Photo Shop Elements for over 25 years. I've also had two or three editions of the bad boy Photo Shop CS --- and despite having those huge $$$ programs available, probably 90% of the time, I fired up Elements and it did everything I needed.
The current version I'm using with Windows 10 is Photo Shop Elements 2018 and it came bundled on a disk with Photo Shop Premiere Elements 18' which is an awesome Video and Audio editor. Came with a disc for Windows and one for Macs.

There's a million youtube vids and other online Help resources available from beginner to expert.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I enjoy pretending, while I make very special cards and various fun pics for my wife and family members. As a hobby I've been using various editions of Photo Shop Elements for over 25 years. I've also had two or three editions of the bad boy Photo Shop CS --- and despite having those huge $$$ programs available, probably 90% of the time, I fired up Elements and it did everything I needed.
The current version I'm using with Windows 10 is Photo Shop Elements 2018 and it came bundled on a disk with Photo Shop Premiere Elements 18' which is an awesome Video and Audio editor. Came with a disc for Windows and one for Macs.

There's a million youtube vids and other online Help resources available from beginner to expert.

Will Elements do what I mentioned in my first post?

Thanks.

Taboma

Reaction score
Will Elements do what I mentioned in my first post?

Thanks.

Yes, there's several ways to accomplish it. You can create a blank canvas of whatever size you want or you can open the first picture sized accordingly and change the canvas size to accommodate the additions before or as you progress. Obviously like so many programs, there's numerous ways to skin the same kitty.
One tip is, prep each image in Elements, before you crop it or resize it, to the same resolution (Like 72 DPI for the net as example) --- before you place it on the new canvas, you can also resize it or crop again after, because each image will be its own layer until such time as you merge them and save them as a JPG or PNG.
Hope that answers your question.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes, there's several ways to accomplish it. You can create a blank canvas of whatever size you want or you can open the first picture sized accordingly and change the canvas size to accommodate the additions before or as you progress. Obviously like so many programs, there's numerous ways to skin the same kitty.
One tip is, prep each image in Elements, before you crop it or resize it, to the same resolution (Like 72 DPI for the net as example) --- before you place it on the new canvas, you can also resize it or crop again after, because each image will be its own layer until such time as you merge them and save them as a JPG or PNG.
Hope that answers your question.

Pretty much. Knowing it will do layers and a blank canvas will work.

Thanks!

Taboma

Reaction score
Pretty much. Knowing it will do layers and a blank canvas will work.

Thanks!

With the layers, you can of course arrange them front to back which if doing a collage type page eliminates much of the precise trimming as you increase or decrease the size, opacity, enhancements, filters etc. and position or re-position them individually. I've used it to create animated GIFs and I know you can save it for web that offers additional saving options.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So after being called a "cheap ass" lol, I looked harder at Adobe's site...

Their main version of Photoshop ONLY runs 21 bucks a month. What I didn't realize is, it costs that much, cause it comes with a ton of online storage!!!

You can actually get Photoshop and Elements, with a minimum of online storage, for only 10 bucks a month.

As always, you have to read the fine print...

So for 10 bucks a month of money well spent, I have the new full version of Photoshop and Elements. It's about a million times easier that the older versions to use. I'll probably only use about 10% of its features. Good stuff!!

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I use Photoshop Elements 2 from the 90's 😄