WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why Be LEO in todays environment ?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Seriously why would a young person or even a seasoned police/deputy/leo etc feel comfortable choosing that career path knowing the disrespect, lack of support not to mention the liability , Hats off to those who still protect and serve

Last edited:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Seriously. There is NO way I would do it today. Like said, big hats off to those that do.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
yup, same here.

all the respect in the world but no chance I could do it in today's world.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I wouldn’t, but I appreciate the people that still choose this career path. They have a tough road ahead.

Then again, I teach at a public school—I wouldn’t start a career in education at the moment either (and I’m happy with my job).

To the cops and other first responders, thank you for keeping us safe.

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
When you have to start second guessing what you can and cannot do to avoid going to jail, you are likely going to die. Grateful to the brave officers out there who keep us safe. I have a hard time comprehending what the future is going to look like when more and more of our best and brightest choose not to pursue a career in law enforcement.

PDQH20

Reaction score
I always thought that there was a law where public servants, police and fire especially, could not be sued for making a mistake. If an officer followed departmental policy and someone died, that officer could not be prosecuted because they performed as they were trained.

Guess I was either wrong all along or there is no longer such a law. Anyone know?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Yep! I told him I’d pay for his fire science classes and paramedic school etc to set him up for that. It’s an extremely competitive process for fire. I just stood in the wrong line 11 years ago.
My sons friend who is now family just got hired la city. His entire life since 15 years old has been about this. He’s 31. Extremely competitive is not an understatement.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I always thought that there was a law where public servants, police and fire especially, could not be sued for making a mistake. If an officer followed departmental policy and someone died, that officer could not be prosecuted because they performed as they were trained.

Guess I was either wrong all along or there is no longer such a law. Anyone know?

The answer to that is pretty involved, but “qualified immunity” is the big one they’re trying to take away from law enforcement. If they strip that way, things will get very ugly for this profession.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I have a good friend that is about 8 years away from retirement, he said fuck it. Gave his resignation.

I don't blame him. Why the fuck would you want to open yourself up to that kind of liability.

The answer to that is pretty involved, but “qualified immunity” is the big one they’re trying to take away from law enforcement. If they strip that way, things will get very ugly for this profession.

It's already gone in these woke areas.

PDQH20

Reaction score

Thanks for the confirmation. It's too bad that more LEOs are unable find safe harbor in that. I don't give the general public credit for brains enough to understand the concept of qualified immunity, but it's a shame that it seems to be too conveniently forgotten these days.

cofooter

Reaction score

You never know when the city/department is going to throw you under the bus..............

Moabifam5

Reaction score
On a business trip in central valley CA, heading up to my room in elevator and there are several young folks with Santa Cruz Acadmy shirts on. Ask them if they are up for what society is

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Lets try this again..Ask the if hey were up to what society has afforded them, they enthusiastically answer yes thats there career path and was there passion and dream. I thank them for there services and only hope they stay safe and make us all proud. There is hope in all of us, as some in the youth of today really understand what is important. Please say a prayer for those who choose this line of work as there path...

riverroyal

Reaction score
Sons best bud is 24. Now a SD sheriff doing his 1 year jail duty.
dads a officer. He is aware of the risks versus reward of serving the public. It takes a unique person to do it, I’m not that type.

Dettom

Reaction score
I wouldn’t advise it in today’s environment. I would only go to a Red State to work. The big democrat run cities are like District 9 and they’re actively trying to abolish law enforcement. What they don’t tell you is, the reason they are working to abolish local police, is to usher in the concept of a federal police force, that will take orders from the top. Think, East German Stasi.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lets try this again..Ask the if hey were up to what society has afforded them, they enthusiastically answer yes thats there career path and was there passion and dream. I thank them for there services and only hope they stay safe and make us all proud. There is hope in all of us, as some in the youth of today really understand what is important. Please say a prayer for those who choose this line of work as there path...
It opens the question about who the next wave of recruits will be like, not those who chose the path before all the mayhem but those who follow the new "safe" methods.
Will the bad people suddenly relent to the kind hearted approach? Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Tell hime to become a fireman. A buddy says the cannot hire enough guys for the fire dept right now.
This is the truth. My department had only 300 something applicants for the next academy/tower in July. I wasnt totally shocked by that because there’s other departments that pay more and we require a paramedic license. But when I heard that Ontario only had 300 something also, I was blown away. They hire straight EMTs with an academy and get paid very well. OT and Force Hires are already through the roof because of low staffing and it’s not fire season yet. Theres a whole host of reasons for the staffing shortage, not because we’re trying to create OT. I start 7 straight 24hr shifts on Sunday that I didn’t ask for.
If I had sons, I would steer them as far away from public service as possible. My nephews wont be following their dad and uncles foot steps if we can help it.
My step dad is retired Fontana PD and my brothers father in law is retired San Bernardino city. Im certain they wouldn’t do it again the way stuff is now.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I have almost 29 years in, just months from retirement. In today’s climate I wouldn’t recommend this career to anyone. The events of the last year or so, including yesterday’s verdict, is just the beginning. I wish these new guys the best, but frankly, they are fucked!

73mandella

Reaction score
I have almost 29 years in, just months from retirement. In today’s climate I wouldn’t recommend this career to anyone. The events of the last year or so, including yesterday’s verdict, is just the beginning. I wish these new guys the best, but frankly, they are fucked!

Congrats for the 29 years and for only having a few months to go. Stay safe!

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
if they get rid of Qualified Immunity then police officers will not be able to afford to be officers without the risk of loosing there own personal property, they will have to almost buy a kind of malpratice insurance

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Less pay
Less pension
Less life experience

Federales and bribery
That is what is coming to LA and NYPD

Rampart scandal will be child’s play in 20 years
The low quality of recruits we have is disgusting

First shooting test : after 40 hours of shooting :
11 of 37 failed

abyssmal
But they were picked for reasons other than highest test and interview scores, that I know for a fact.
I agree with you 100 percent. Our profession is turning into a fucking joke and it’s really sad.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m 30 and I’ve been seriously considering it. But not sure I want to leave a successful construction business.

For some reason something inside me wants to pursue it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
My thoughts after 29 years :

Community Oriented Policing is dead

I’ve had soccer Moms in sienna mini vans shout I’m a racist as I stand with Cops debriefing a Bomb Call

I’ve had 70 year olds say I’m the “problem” as I walk a foot beat on the Red Line, not doing anything to them.

I’m an occupying force there to stop active shooters or apply totniquets when not doing Bomb Shit.
We Cops are not wanted in LA by all ages, races, economic backgrounds.
We get it, and work / protect ourselves accordingly.
Hey at least we have 3 at 50 right?

hallett21

Reaction score
Bro, DON’T FUCKING DO IT!

I keep hearing that from people in law enforcement so I should probably take the advice lol.

Question to those of you in Law Enforcement. During Rodney King era I imagine the police were looked at negatively. Is that comparable to today’s sentiment from the public in regards to LEOs? Or different circumstances?

hallett21

Reaction score

I’ve had soccer Moms in sienna mini vans shout I’m a racist as I stand with Cops debriefing a Bomb Call

I’ve had 70 year olds say I’m the “problem” as I walk a foot beat on the Red Line, not doing anything to them.

I’m an occupying force there to stop active shooters or apply totniquets when not doing Bomb Shit.

I always try to thank LAPD & LASD officers when I see them [emoji1303]

PlanB

Reaction score

Congrats Bro. Good to hear you are almost done.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I keep hearing that from people in law enforcement so I should probably take the advice lol.

Question to those of you in Law Enforcement. During Rodney King era I imagine the police were looked at negatively. Is that comparable to today’s sentiment from the public in regards to LEOs? Or different circumstances?

It is 1000 times worse now than after Rodney King. @LowRiver2 do you agree?

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

My grandfather spent 33 years with the L.A. County Sheriffs Office, retired as a Captain in 1990. He’s seen some shit. He always told me that support and public perception of law enforcement is a pendulum, and it always swings from positive side to negative side and back and forth, and always has. He feels that pendulum has broken off, and will never swing back. I think he’s right.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m pretty middle of the road on most issues. However I’ve always had respect for those willing to lay down their lives to protect others.

Sorry to hear those of you in Law Enforcement have lost that respect from the public.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I’m pretty middle of the road on most issues. However I’ve always had respect for those willing to lay down their lives to protect others.

Sorry to hear those of you in Law Enforcement have lost that respect from the public.

I appreciate that. Nobody made us become cops so being hated is part of the job to a certain extent. The sad part is it’s the citizens who will suffer the most by society cutting off the balls of the police. Especially the citizens who don’t have the means to take care of themselves, because it’s going to come to that.

blownmirage

Reaction score
My son just got accepted to WSP (Washington State Patrol), I am extremely proud, he served 4 years in the Navy and now that is what he chose, and got accepted today, every parent is always concerned about their child, but always support them. He is aware of danger but 1 of our friends child almost was killed at a roof truss manufacturing plant that had safety sensors bypassed, so any job can be dangerous. I know he will do well, he will make good money and have full medical and retire when he is 52, so I think that is better than I did, so I support any Law Enforcement, Somebody has to do it.

ssc

Reaction score
It is interesting. My grandson has indicated he wanted to be LEO. I do my best to steer him to be a Doctor. He is still a youngster, so we shall see. His Dad, my SIL is LEO and has told him absolutely not. When I was headed into LEO, my Pops, who was an old time deputy from the midwest, made it very clear that I was headed for trouble and would end up in prison. He was a bit clairvoyant, I guess, as he saw the writing on the wall back in 1981. It was a bad time then. All cops were pigs, Ron Settles, Eula love shooting, Signal Hill, Adelanto, chokehold stuff etc.

Perhaps it has been a large snowball. Most of my buddies are retired. Have/ had many in the LBPD who have retired in past few years and LASD.

Cheers, Steve

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I sure af wouldn’t be working law enforcement in a blue state after yesterday’s circle jerk. It will come back to bite them when their cities are being overtaken by criminals and no police to stop them.

No young man or women in their right mind would choose that career path after yesterday’s verdict. You could basically spend the rest of your life in prison for doing your job :oops:

77charger

Reaction score

Your lucky you have that many years. I have one cousin in Lapd think he was at foothill not sure if he’s still there or retired I know he was high up but last I talked he was already fed up but just said I can retire anytime now. His brother works lax also high up. Both started about same time. Castros you prob have to know one of them.
Another cousin laso about 14 years in he hates it now says all hard work gets tossed with gasgoon. He’s a detective says he has to do patrol once a week I asked if he writes tickets he laughed said I dont bother anymore you don’t know if the next traffic stop will be the career ended.

PDQH20

Reaction score
Here's a question for LEOs. Has use of the body cam helped or hurt you in performing your duties? And is that because of the neighborhood involved or in general?

At first, I thought they would be a great idea to protect the good officers and weed out the bad. But after recent incidents and seeing how, even when the video seems to support the officer's decision, I'm not so sure anymore.