WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why did you open your own Machine Shop,

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
and what would you have done differently, and would you do it again?

After the 4th layoff in 9 years I’m at the point of being over working for others and making them rich. A little background: I was a conventional machinist for approx 10 years after High School, then got into the Aerospace Engineering field approx 20 years ago. I have a strong background in composite lamination, structural assemblies, tooling, and detailed machined parts.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Nothing. I do it over every day.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect too many replies in this section. There are threads on the front page from three years ago. You should post this in the lounge.

earlesurfs

Reaction score
I rented a shop to build my toys. I was approached by a former employee regarding my capabilities in my shop and I began making parts for him on the side in 2014. I gained several more clients, quit the full time gig in 2017 and have never looked back.
I had a cake job as the machinist at a local amusement park and end up working way harder and way more hours but it’s awesome not having an alarm clock, a time clock, a boss and a bunch of annoying coworkers and drama. I have put in my share of 100+ hour weeks between the 9-5 and running my shop but it has paid off big time.

I’ve had days that I’ve made $1500 in 8 hours. I worked 4th of July last year on a rush job and made $1200 in 7 hours but I normally bring in $500 to $700 in a normal day gross. I try to stay in the $75 to $80 dollar an hour range to stay competitive and keep clients, when I quote parts higher I seem to not get the jobs.

I mainly do prototype work and small production runs on conventional equipment. I’ve taken mastercam programming courses and hope to purchase a VF-3 and an SL-20 within the next year and greatly expand my capabilities.

If you can afford to set up a shop and have some good leads on reliable sources for work, I say go for it.

I hope this helps.

Hit me up if you have anymore questions.

Last edited: