WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why do Schiata boats cost so much?

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I too would like to read the answer to this.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Build quality. Exotic inlays. Through bolts.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I too would like to read the answer to this.

The answer is simple.. Because that's what people are willing to pay.

The reasons they are willing to pay it is more complex. If you are asking me it is because it is one of the best hull designs of all time. The ride quality of a 21 RC in terms of West coast boats has been pretty much unrivaled for the last 40 years.. (There are some exceptions hallett 210 etc.. but there is always trade offs) They look the part and they are the part.

The rest just comes down to quality.

Don't get me wrong I think there is a lot of room for improvement in certain areas.. They should extend the strakes on I/O applications and the hulls themselves are wavy as shit. But overall I would put my 21 up against anything out there in terms of ride quality and handling (Save some of the narrow beam specialty boats.. Talking other normal day cruisers). And it will still run over 70 with a small block (it is an extremely heavy boat as well).

The die hard circle racers will tell you Rayson every time and that's fine.. If your boating consists of smooth water and hard left turns. They also don't like to talk about Gary going out there and spanking all of them until they told him he could t run anymore. Lol (now I'm just talking smack)

In terms of new builds I don't think they are expensive at all.. Pretty cheap actually. Especially if you are buying a v drive. I haven't figured out how they make any money building them. Doesn't much matter now because with the new EPA bullshit I don't think they could build a v drive anyways with the gas tank setups..

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Am I the only one that noticed Schiada is spelled wrong in the title of this thread (Schiata) :rolleyes

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Didn't Dave just launch a new 21' boat with a blower/V-drive ? What did he do ?

Michael Dobyns

Reaction score
Am I the only one that noticed Schiada is spelled wrong in the title of this thread (Schiata) :rolleyes

Live in Texas... never heard of Schiada Boats until two days ago... totally unfamiliar with these beautiful craft and this entire genre of boats... but, I AM HOOKED... the pictures, videos, etc. are exciting... I'm ready to head West... gotta take a ride and experience what I think will become a passion!

Paul65k

Reaction score
Live in Texas... never heard of Schiada Boats until two days ago... totally unfamiliar with these beautiful craft and this entire genre of boats... but, I AM HOOKED... the pictures, videos, etc. are exciting... I'm ready to head West... gotta take a ride and experience what I think will become a passion!
I really didn't mean for this to come off as a slap....it was really just an observation.......but it is cool that you have landed on Schiada and if you do end up with one you WILL be spoiled by a build quality that is so unique.

Good luck with your research/search :thumbup::thumbup:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

There are many ways to spell it and only one is correct.

SDC14070.jpg

dano214

Reaction score
I stopped and looked at this one last weekend, would be a nice ride when it's finished! Wish I had some extra money laying around..... :cool

Wheeler

Reaction score
Someone asked me about it last week. I told him the engine was probably worth the purchase price.

I was waiting for a check to clear so I could bring cash along as I entered negotiations for the boat.
I thought I had enough time. :(

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
A relative "newbie" is wanting to learn... please enlighten me!

I always thought they were cheep... I bought a 22' w a carson twin turbo,.. under 36k
I bought a 21'r with a dunsmore twin turbo for under 15k

I bought a 22' 468 power for 14k...

now if you wanna talk new ... take the 80k for power and shinny shit out of the price and
put a nice 454 with everthing painted satin black... now you can compair

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
The answer is simple.. Because that's what people are willing to pay.

The reasons they are willing to pay it is more complex. If you are asking me it is because it is one of the best hull designs of all time. The ride quality of a 21 RC in terms of West coast boats has been pretty much unrivaled for the last 40 years.. (There are some exceptions hallett 210 etc.. but there is always trade offs) They look the part and they are the part.

The rest just comes down to quality.

Don't get me wrong I think there is a lot of room for improvement in certain areas.. They should extend the strakes on I/O applications and the hulls themselves are wavy as shit. But overall I would put my 21 up against anything out there in terms of ride quality and handling (Save some of the narrow beam specialty boats.. Talking other normal day cruisers). And it will still run over 70 with a small block (it is an extremely heavy boat as well).

The die hard circle racers will tell you Rayson every time and that's fine.. If your boating consists of smooth water and hard left turns. They also don't like to talk about Gary going out there and spanking all of them until they told him he could t run anymore. Lol (now I'm just talking smack)

In terms of new builds I don't think they are expensive at all.. Pretty cheap actually. Especially if you are buying a v drive. I haven't figured out how they make any money building them. Doesn't much matter now because with the new EPA bullshit I don't think they could build a v drive anyways with the gas tank setups..

the real simple answer is the people that have them think they are the shit and tell everyone what its worth.... of corse no one will buy it for that:D:D

farmo83

Reaction score
Economics 101, Price is where Supply and Demand Equal.

I would be curious to see how much brand equity the Schiada name has. I would be willing to bet it's at least material amount to the business considering how long they have been around.

All that above aside I love mine. I don't understand the fascination with Rayson Craft's, my neighbor has 3 of them and all of them spend more time hopping out of the water then in it.

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
Economics 101, Price is where Supply and Demand Equal.

I would be curious to see how much brand equity the Schiada name has. I would be willing to bet it's at least material amount to the business considering how long they have been around.

All that above aside I love mine. I don't understand the fascination with Rayson Craft's, my neighbor has 3 of them and all of them spend more time hopping out of the water then in it.
I Know this is off topic of the OG poster but I couldn't help but see ur comment about rayson crafts hopping out of the water rather than in it. Which leads me to the question, why would you want the boat glued in the water rather than on top of it? What is ur theory on this Schiada phenomenon. I think they are way two different boats and both boats have different purposes, usually the way I think about it rayson crafts are exactly as it sounds (race crafts) and Schiadas are well...(river cruisers) to me the fascination of a rayson craft is how much better they turn and also how much faster and more efficient they are than a Schiada pound for pound power for power. Another thing that brings me to question this is, if they are truly that bad ass then why do we not see any racing in the actual circuit of boat racing? in any class ss, ps, k, cj, or gn? And for that matter even ski racing they are no longer front runner boats. Trust me I get the mystic of them and yes I do own one and I love it for what it is but if I was gonna spend that kinda doe on a new all around river cruiser/racer I would be buying a 210 hallett, full interior with a n/a 557 efi extension box imco drive double throw down blow ur doors deal. Just my .02

Paul65k

Reaction score
Another thing that brings me to question this is, if they are truly that bad ass then why do we not see any racing in the actual circuit of boat racing? in any class ss, ps, k, cj, or gn? And for that matter even ski racing
Same reason you don't see Bentley racing their cars :D

farmo83

Reaction score
I can only speak to the Rayson Craft?s I?ve actually seen which as I live in South Texas is the three down the lake. All three of them don?t take a good set in the water at speed and hop around in near flat conditions. To answer your question I wouldn?t want it glued to the water, I also don?t want to have to slow down all the time due to the boat not being stable. No boat company gets a reputation like Rayson Craft without building quality stuff so I?m sure with a little bit of tinkering you could make them scream. I have no idea how Schiada?s run in the boat racing circuit, like you said I use mine for cruising around and making a few passes from time to time. I guess I just consider a Schiada to be more well-rounded and suited to my needs(which is why I bought one).

Also the Rayson Craft?s down the way don?t have a solid track record which I?m sure shapes up 75% of my views on them.

I raced a 1977 Rayson Craft 21 V drive with a stockish 454(he had a big cam in it) with my 1977 bone stock 460 CVX 20 Jet and pulled away from him at the end.

Another one has around a 600hp Chrysler with NOS and my Uncle?s 210 with a 502 ran off from him. Then he tried his luck with my dads 210 as well and it didn?t end well for him that time either.

They?ve all been chasing a 1100hp 24 foot Spectra?s for years.

bump

Reaction score
There was the rich guy from AZ in the 80s who built that very light 21 for GN racing. It was red with a grey deck. I knew the guy a tiny bit. He'd been around auto racing for decades and Vintage Motorsport Magazine did a fine article on him after he passed I think. But his boat was never competitive against the Rayson Crafts and I can't see how he thought it would be. I think Bill Wiggins had it also for awhile because I remember seeing it in his garage after he got rid of the old Dunsmore Suddenly he used with Glen.

My understanding is that the 21 isn't competitive in Ski Racing these days either at the top levels.

I like what Dave said earlier in this thread and can only add that some vehicles have a value that is largely perception. '32 Ford Roadsters, '40 Fords, '57 Chevys, '69 Camaros, and perhaps a few others. I disagree with the earlier post about supply and demand; Schiadas are no Hemi Cuda or ZL1 Camaro. There's a pretty small universe of people who think these boats have alot of value. And there seems to be a steady stream of guys who buy new Schiadas, hemorrhage tens of thousands in value in a several years, and then the boat settles in at a value more in line with the market. Most people in the boating world haven't even heard of them. And there's good reason for that because I think the boat's use is fairly limited. I love seeing what all you guys do with these but I think most are vanity projects like the cars I listed above. Are the twin turbo boats amazing to ride in? hell yes. Are they the best ride on the water for that? Nothing beats a flatbottom when it comes to thrilling IMO. I also think it's awesome guys are doing these projects themselves and I love seeing them at Parker. Just like guys I know who bring trophy trucks out to the desert. But in the end, for me, it's just another plastic boat that frankly doesn't seem to be made significantly better than at least half a dozen other boat companies out here. IMO what makes Schiadas special are the people who rig them, like Racey, Dunsmore, Gary Teague, and so forth. And that guy on here who bought the 21 from Italy and is hand making all the parts - stunning IMO. Take that away and what do you have? A heavy, slow, classically styled vehicle that hasn't really changed in decades. Just like the cars I mentioned above...

Same reason you don't see Bentley racing their cars :D

Wheeler

Reaction score
Why do Schiata boats cost so much?.. please enlighten me!

"According to RD anything "schiada" is hand crafted by none other than god himself, and then brought down from the heavens."

Bildo

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
There was the rich guy from AZ in the 80s who built that very light 21 for GN racing. It was red with a grey deck. I knew the guy a tiny bit. He'd been around auto racing for decades and Vintage Motorsport Magazine did a fine article on him after he passed I think. But his boat was never competitive against the Rayson Crafts and I can't see how he thought it would be. I think Bill Wiggins had it also for awhile because I remember seeing it in his garage after he got rid of the old Dunsmore Suddenly he used with Glen.

My understanding is that the 21 isn't competitive in Ski Racing these days either at the top levels.

I like what Dave said earlier in this thread and can only add that some vehicles have a value that is largely perception. '32 Ford Roadsters, '40 Fords, '57 Chevys, '69 Camaros, and perhaps a few others. I disagree with the earlier post about supply and demand; Schiadas are no Hemi Cuda or ZL1 Camaro. There's a pretty small universe of people who think these boats have alot of value. And there seems to be a steady stream of guys who buy new Schiadas, hemorrhage tens of thousands in value in a several years, and then the boat settles in at a value more in line with the market. Most people in the boating world haven't even heard of them. And there's good reason for that because I think the boat's use is fairly limited. I love seeing what all you guys do with these but I think most are vanity projects like the cars I listed above. Are the twin turbo boats amazing to ride in? hell yes. Are they the best ride on the water for that? Nothing beats a flatbottom when it comes to thrilling IMO. I also think it's awesome guys are doing these projects themselves and I love seeing them at Parker. Just like guys I know who bring trophy trucks out to the desert. But in the end, for me, it's just another plastic boat that frankly doesn't seem to be made significantly better than at least half a dozen other boat companies out here. IMO what makes Schiadas special are the people who rig them, like Racey, Dunsmore, Gary Teague, and so forth. And that guy on here who bought the 21 from Italy and is hand making all the parts - stunning IMO. Take that away and what do you have? A heavy, slow, classically styled vehicle that hasn't really changed in decades. Just like the cars I mentioned above...

The red 21 is owned by Mr K. It's still alive and just had a ton of gel work done to it. Full cap, and the grey removed off the side.

None of the old school boats are competitive with new outboard boats. It is what it is. 1200hp Tt motors or 300xs's with a warranty. It's not cost effective to campaign a 21rc TT against a Cyclone with a 300. The Schiada will still be faster and ride better but at an exponential cost difference to operate.

Cotton

Livin' The Life!
Reaction score
A relative "newbie" is wanting to learn... please enlighten me!

In the spirit of being objective, and not withstanding the other member's input, not all Schiadas are expensive. I purchased my 1977 Schiada 21 RC for $7500. Now...yes...not being a v-drive or any other prop set-up, and being a jet, has a lot to do with that. The overall condition of my boat was/is a 7-8/10. The quality of my Schiada isn't less by any means because it's a jet. I can tell you that my boat rides like a dream. I have also experienced Halletts, Spectras and other quality builder's hulls that ride like dreams too and aren't "expensive." The build quality of Schiadas, right out of the factory, are very high and as RD expressed, people are willing to pay that. Some former Schiada owners have stated that though they thought the ride and quality of their Schiada was nice, they weren't particularly over-impressed with them...others/many, swear by Schiada and nothing else will do...enjoy the site and possibly a Schiada if you purchase one and this is just my opinion...cheers! :thumbup:

nrbr

Reaction score
I can only speak to the Rayson Craft?s I?ve actually seen which as I live in South Texas is the three down the lake. All three of them don?t take a good set in the water at speed and hop around in near flat conditions. To answer your question I wouldn?t want it glued to the water, I also don?t want to have to slow down all the time due to the boat not being stable. No boat company gets a reputation like Rayson Craft without building quality stuff so I?m sure with a little bit of tinkering you could make them scream. I have no idea how Schiada?s run in the boat racing circuit, like you said I use mine for cruising around and making a few passes from time to time. I guess I just consider a Schiada to be more well-rounded and suited to my needs(which is why I bought one).

Also the Rayson Craft?s down the way don?t have a solid track record which I?m sure shapes up 75% of my views on them.

I raced a 1977 Rayson Craft 21 V drive with a stockish 454(he had a big cam in it) with my 1977 bone stock 460 CVX 20 Jet and pulled away from him at the end.

Another one has around a 600hp Chrysler with NOS and my Uncle?s 210 with a 502 ran off from him. Then he tried his luck with my dads 210 as well and it didn?t end well for him that time either.

They?ve all been chasing a 1100hp 24 foot Spectra?s for years.
I would say those raysons are not setup properly. They most definitely will take a set! My last one went 119 w 1000hp and would truck through some shit water. Not taking anything away from shiadas. Raysons for going fast in circles and shiada for haulin ass in style down the river.

Baja 252

Reaction score
Can someone explain the comments regarding the EPA regulations that cause a problem with new V-drive builds? I assume it has to do with gas tank venting or safety??? Are people saying Schiada can't build a new V-drive boat?

Wheeler

Reaction score
"According to RD anything "schiada" is hand crafted by none other than god himself, and then brought down from the heavens."

Bildo

Why does no one find this funny? I about fell out of my chair when Bildo first wrote it. :D

X Hoser

Reaction score
It's because SchiaTa's are extremely rare :p You'd have to build a SchiaDa to understand why they cost so much. Boats in general cost a lot if "customized" with one off parts and big horsepower engines. Many great boats out there, Raysoncraft being one. Not all boats are built to race. I personally lost interest in restoring cars. (Another hobby that also costs a lot!). Just as you can drop a $100K in a 57 chevy hot rod, you also can in a "water rod". My Schiada is my "57 Chevy water-rod". Does it appeal to everybody?.no! Does it appeal to me?..you bet.

scjohn

Reaction score
There are couple of reasons Schiadas cost what the do:

Supply vs. Demand and what the buyer and seller agree is an acceptable value to complete the transaction.
'
A big part of a Schiada's appeal for many of us is nostalgia. Perceived build quality and the ride. You really have to ride in a Schiada and some Halletts to feel how they move through the water. You could put me in 10 different boats blindfolded and i will be able to tell which is a Schiada by the ride quality alone. I can't explain it; Schiadas have a very distinct ride quality; stable, smooth and sure that comes from a stiff and heavy lay-up combined with straight bottoms with long entry keels relative to their overall length. Their
clean and simple designs make great platforms for cool one off rigging and you can't leave out the cool factor of the non skid deck.

stoker22405

Reaction score

:thumbsup

FlatRacer

Reaction score
There are couple of reasons Schiadas cost what the do:

Supply vs. Demand and what the buyer and seller agree is an acceptable value to complete the transaction.
'
A big part of a Schiada's appeal for many of us is nostalgia. Perceived build quality and the ride. You really have to ride in a Schiada and some Halletts to feel how they move through the water. You could put me in 10 different boats blindfolded and i will be able to tell which is a Schiada by the ride quality alone. I can't explain it; Schiadas have a very distinct ride quality; stable, smooth and sure that comes from a stiff and heavy lay-up combined with straight bottoms with long entry keels relative to their overall length. Their
clean and simple designs make great platforms for cool one off rigging and you can't leave out the cool factor of the non skid deck.

How would you compare the ride of the Schiada 21' RC to an Eliminator V-Drive Day Cruiser with the same power plant? I've read about guys "stepping up" from the Eliminator to the Schiada, and while I can well imagine the layup schedule being different, I wonder what else about the hull design makes for the difference in ride and handling characteristics.

Thanks,
Eric

Maestro

Reaction score
The eliminator is no comparison. It is no way meant for big power and speed with out extensive bottom and rigging. I've yet to see one actually perform in the upper digets. So that's why a own a Raysoncraft now.:skull