WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why do we stay here? -37 now -52 with wind chill.

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
Because during the summer we get to enjoy this.
Spent 4 months at the lake with our new grandchild and family.
Most days there was just us and a few fishing boats out on the water.
P7201278.JPG
P8071426.JPG
P8161466.JPG
P8031332.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Beautiful!
Are Canadians still unable to travel out of country without a bunch of red tape?

squeezer

Reaction score
Those pics look like a Boreal lake... Where is that at?

nameisbond

Reaction score
Beautiful!
Are Canadians still unable to travel out of country without a bunch of red tape?

Its coming back that is a hassle. You have to get a neg covid test. Quarantine in a government approved hotel for three days (costs $2k) and then quarantine at home for 14 days. My dad canceled a meeting in Seattle because of the rules.

The rest of Canada is too cold for me. Here on the coast of BC, it rarely dips below 40f in winter. Sure it rains a lot, but you don't have to shovel it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
-37?? 😳. When it gets into the 30’s I am wearing every single piece of warm clothing I own!
I can’t even imagine that kind of cold.
I know a gal up in Minnesota, its -6 there right now. At 1:40 in the afternoon their time.
I’ve been in snow. Coming through Flagstaff once it froze my windshield washer fluid, lol.
It was only 27 or so.
So when these northerners start talking about negative? 20-40???
Fuck that, lol.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
Just North of St Walburg. (One of my room mates in University was from Walburg) Do you live that far North or are you in Saskatoon?
Walburg not far from Makwa, pass thru it on the way up to the lake as I live on an acreage just outside of Saskatoon.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Been there done that. Was in Saskatoon one winter right about this time of year. -35 actual temp and -50 with the wind. Freaken brutal. Started the rental car in the hotel parking lot (wasn’t plugged in) and then had breakfast. 40 minutes later there was barely a little heat coming out of the vents. I was at this shop inspecting a part they were making. When they opened up a large garage door for a semi to back in, the cold outside air hit the more moist inside air, and made it look like a liquid nitrogen spill. The locals said it can hit 90 in the summer though.

squeezer

Reaction score
Walburg not far from Makwa, pass thru it on the way up to the lake as I live on an acreage just outside of Saskatoon.

Cool...

I have spent a bit of time in Saskatoon. Nothing like Sundown in the Paris of the Prairies...

squeezer

Reaction score
Been there done that. Was in Saskatoon one winter right about this time of year. -35 actual temp and -50 with the wind. Freaken brutal. Started the rental car in the hotel parking lot (wasn’t plugged in) and then had breakfast. 40 minutes later there was barely a little heat coming out of the vents. I was at this shop inspecting a part they were making. When they opened up a large garage door for a semi to back in, the cold outside air hit the more moist inside air, and made it look like a liquid nitrogen spill. The locals said it can hit 90 in the summer though.

But its a dry cold...

In Saskatchewan I Have personally seen it 105 above and 47 below. A 140 degree temperature swing in the course of a year is nearly normal. I believe Regina Saskatchewan has recorded 107 above and 58 below for a 165 degree swing. And y'all think Tom Brown isnt tough!!!

Last edited:

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
But its a dry cold...

In Saskatchewan I Have personally seen it 105 above and 47 below. A 140 degree temperature swing in the course of a year is nearly normal. I believe Regina Saskatchewan has recorded 107 above and 58 below for a 165 degree swing. And y'all think Tom Brown isnt tough!!!
Saskatoon has the river and used to be part of the racing circuit before things went south.
Our scenery is very diverse. Central to South is mostly flat and agricultural. Saskatoon is considered central.
Central to North is the transition from prairies to lakes and forests, like Montana we have big skies.... but way more lakes :)

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Spent my 21st birthday in Saskatoon, 40+ years ago next month.
1st time I ever saw buried city water tanks.
I asked why? The guys there laughed and said they'd freeze of course!

squeezer

Reaction score
Saskatoon has the river and used to be part of the racing circuit before things went south.
Our scenery is very diverse. Central to South is mostly flat and agricultural. Saskatoon is considered central.
Central to North is the transition from prairies to lakes and forests, like Montana we have big skies.... but way more lakes :)

Know the province fairly well... Studied Engineering at the UofS, worked for Highways in the summer and have been down every paved road in the province. My Wife was born in Saskatoon, in-laws live at Waskesiu.
Used to ski right in front of the Bez when that was still allowed. With your kids being skiers you will know "The Rat Hole" up by the airport... Learned to ski jump there.

Have float fished out of LaRonge a few times. "Way more lakes" doesnt begin to describe whats there :cool:.

Loved living in Saskatoon at that time but it sure doesn't feel the same way now... Not sure if it has changed or I have.

Your Cole would be an unusual boat up there. My old Laveycraft gets ran on Candle Lake these days. Sold it to a friend from PA when we bought the Sanger.

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
You know Saskatchewan well, and yes we have a lot more than way more lakes, if you are into fishing and ever have the opportunity to fly into Cree lake lodge you will not only have a great hunting or fishing experience but will be flying over and seeing lakes that have never seen a boat on them.
A point of interest is that a lot of the very few cabins on this lake are owned by Americans.
Spent manny hours at the "Rat Hole" both as a skier /spectator and yes that is were our kids competed. Dave Wassil is still teaching there and will probably die with a ski on😅👍. too many good stories about that place!
We used to get up to Candle/Waskesiu periodically , uncle had a shack tent there. We could have run into each other a some point :) everyone knows everyone here.
Our biggest export here is our children and in our family we are located all over North America, we all have a place to be, for my wife and I this is where we should be, one of our children is in Victoria and the other stayed here.
Yes the Cole is an unusual boat here, but art is appreciated everywhere. Unfortunately blew out a shoulder and might not be able to use it again. (hence the for sale)
Great talking with a fellow Northerner, you never forget the good times spent here........ the cold days just melt away with the summer and memories made.

boblins

Reaction score
And thats the reason we leave Northern Alberta in the winter. Enjoyed it for enough years, no need to suffer through it at this time in our lives.

spectras only

Reaction score
We have -12 [ 10.999 F ] right now with blue skies. I lived in Vancouver until 2016, rained most of the time during winter there. I'll take the colder temps with blue skies and dry cold. ;)
This is what my place looked like in the summer 500 feet above the lake, about 40 C. My house is in the right lower corner. One house above me burned to ashes
fire of 2020 Skaha Lake.jpg

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I jinxed myself by saying its mostly 40 and rain. This morning its 23f and very cold. Clouding over, so could see some snow. Still Vancouver is mostly very mild in winter. I get tired of the rain. I have two years left and expecting to retire (at 50). Plan to buy a townhome with zero maintenance in Scottsdale for winter.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
There's a reason 90% of all Canadians live within 90 miles of the US boarder. No one wants to live full time farther north. Used to go to St Zenon Quebec to sled ( 4 hours north of Montreal ). Been out at -46 F with a 20 mph wind - you find out what parts aren't covered right away, and that plastic gets brittle and breaks like glass at those temps. Just drop the hood of the sled from full extension and you'll find out what i mean !!!!!

575cat

Reaction score
Thats where duct tape is your friend , been sledding @ -40 sled runs crisp & clean & nobody else is out hammer down .

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It was 59* here today and I was whining how cold it is. LOL Spent the day with Uggs on!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
The cold places are cool to visit. Key word visit. But some love it.