WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why Does The Food Suck So Bad At Topock 66?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
The wife and I took a run up the gorge to Topock 66 for lunch today and it sucked so bad. How do you screw up chicken fingers? My Bbq tri tip sandwich was so dry it sucked the moisture from my mouth, and they couldn’t even toast or warm the bun? The onion rings were overcooked also. But yet the place was packed. This was not a $50 lunch. Maybe most people go there to drink first, then eat second. Drunk or not I know shitty food when it’s served to me. I’ve been there about 5 times, only the first time was good. I guess I’m like a junky, always trying to chase that first good meal.....

Last edited:

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
They used to have killer mudslides. It was worth the ride up in itself. They used to be made with real Thrifty ice cream. It was easy to polish off a couple pitchers amongst the group.

Went up a few weeks back and it was obvious they changed the recipe. Yup, no more Thrifty ice cream. Now they use that Oasis pre mix stuff. What a let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

checkrd past

Reaction score
yep, been going for breakfast lately because the lunch food is dicey. The last time i seen the tri tip sandwich,I reconmened the sandwich to a first timer that went there with us and was completly embarrassed by the lack of meat on it. but at least it didn't suck the moisture out of her mouth ,LOL

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Hammer

Reaction score
That’s a shame. I typically prefer topocks food. Haven’t been there in awhile..

yz450mm

Reaction score
I screenshot and cropped the original post (to remove RDP references), and sent it to their Instagram. Hopefully Chet will see it, if not, then there are other avenues that could be taken. I know he's not a slacker, so if his restaurant is subpar, I'm sure it will be fixed once he's aware of it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I screenshot and cropped the original post (to remove RDP references), and sent it to their Instagram. Hopefully Chet will see it, if not, then there are other avenues that could be taken. I know he's not a slacker, so if his restaurant is subpar, I'm sure it will be fixed once he's aware of it.

Bravo 👏🏻👏🏻 AND that folks is the way it should be done!!!!

95Enforcer

Reaction score
It has been bad. Chet hasn't been there as all of his focus is on his new distillery “Towns End” in Apple Valley. Topock 66 is suffering from it for sure. The food quality like he doesn’t care anymore about it.

yz450mm

Reaction score
It has been bad. Chet hasn't been there as all of his focus is on his new distillery “Towns End” in Apple Valley. Topock 66 is suffering from it for sure. The food quality like he doesn’t care anymore about it.
Yeah I bet, that thing has to be a cash cow for him. It's a cool spot, and everybody in the high desert is ranting and raving about it. But I'm sure a gentle reminder that he has other businesses would probably get them back into shape.

95Enforcer

Reaction score
Yeah I bet, that thing has to be a cash cow for him. It's a cool spot, and everybody in the high desert is ranting and raving about it. But I'm sure a gentle reminder that he has other businesses would probably get them back into shape.

ya I agree. Im sure the mortuaries can be business as usual and not have quality issues like the restaurant can especially with all the changing staff so often. I think he figures he has people to run his companies he's good. Im sure once he sees theres an issue it will get addressed and corrected quickly.

yz450mm

Reaction score
ya I agree. Im sure the mortuaries can be business as usual and not have quality issues like the restaurant can especially with all the changing staff so often. I think he figures he has people to run his companies he's good. Im sure once he sees theres an issue it will get addressed and corrected quickly.
I attended my grandma's funeral, and a buddy's wedding at Sunset Hills. That is hard for my head to wrap itself around, but once you see his Ranch I guess hit all pans out.

hallett21

Reaction score
Haven’t been there too much this summer. Always go there for food over pirates. Hopefully they get it squared away.

I will say service this year has been lack luster. How hard is it to bring food and make sure everyone’s drinks are full? Our crew always tips well, is that not the norm on the river?

If you’re at Foxes or Roadrunner and you’re drink is halfway down you’re being asked if you want a refill. And those bars can get packed!

Last edited:

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Stopped in for dinner last weekend on the way back, hadn’t been in awhile. Food was terrible, and there was nobody there. Won’t be back unless it changes. Overpriced as well. That’s NOT bbq, folks! Wife’s club sammich looked okay, hard to F that up.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Chet is busy with his distillery and farmers market. My wife goes to the farmers market twice a week. She actually just left to go there.

Sounds like he needs a better manager at topock as people are always complaining about the food.

He is not the type of guy that expects substandard service.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Since the Covid thing started I haven't been impressed with any sit down or take out food. Atmosphere, quality, and price. River Island Market is an exception. Their pizza and wings are still good.

hawgty55

Reaction score
The excuse is always that they can't get people to stay working there. Same thing with Pirates Cove. Neither one of them do anything well in my opinion but as long as they keep making money I don't think there will be a change. It's an atmosphere thing for sure.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
I can deal with shitty service, just please bring back the mudslides! [emoji23]

Singleton

Reaction score
Food quality for breakfast has been lower then past summers.
We gave up on the biscuits and gravy this year (first time we got shorted on gravy, second time the biscuit was harder then a hockey puck). Build your own omelette has been good all summer.

lunch meat portions have been smaller then past years.

each time we have had an issue, we talked to the manager. Flavor of food has been good (Excluding the rock hard biscuit), each time we have received a free round of drinks.

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
As with most any restaurant that relies on a varied crew to run it , service / food is hit and miss . A friend of mine was just in town this last weekend for Trump parade , she said let’s hit a nice restaurant in Parker for lunch . I had to remind her she wasn’t in Westwood...

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I took a boat load of first timer guests there in June and the food was great.

Did you ask your server to correct the problem? Just curious.

Groper

Reaction score
After the reopening we would cruise up for breakfast and lunch a few times and it was ok, not good but ok ie: burnt OE eggs.

Stopped in for lunch friday before labor day and I will say the service was excellent for a change and the Burgers were pretty good along with the fries & onion rings. 😲
Shocking I know right beat the f**k out Pirates.

The BAD who the fuck designed and plastered the pool ?
Really 3' deep pool with 3/4" rock stucco plaster geezzuusss I need to open up a Knee Pad rental booth before entering the fng pool 🤬
At 3' the pool will never ever cool down to 82 +- degrees to keep it refreshing 😖

Daaauuummm I miss the old place.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Like a good haircut, always better when the owner is in the shop.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Stopped coming here myself after multiple failed meals.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
went there back when it opened, place was really fun and it was a nice break from sandwiches on the water. last time i went was a few weeks ago. menu was shortened and they removed the nachos and anything that didnt probably come from the freezer. the worst part for me was the service... the waitresses are all sitting inside, they never come to your table. i shouldnt have to go inside and beg to give you money... the other part was just how dirty it was. i get the pool is an attraction but when theres plates of food left behind and the birds are picking it up and dropping a hamburger bun into the already cloudy pool, its just disgusting. I probably wont be going back, the novelty has worn off and its just gone downhill. I get covid cost cuts, but theres no excuse for laziness and being filthy in a business.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
The old Topock was SO much better, but I understand things change but it was for the worse on this one. The place was a top destination for us but now it is not even on my radar the food is terrible and pool is equal to a serving of dirty human soup.

DanG

Reaction score
We've been a few times since they reopened. I would say the food has been decent and the service was great, though we have sat inside the last couple times. All I had to do was give our server a look and had another drink coming. Those girls were working their tail off in 117 degrees, at least from my view. I would like a little more tri-tip on my sandwich, but the food and service have been good and is 10x better than pirates.

Springfield

Reaction score
Stopped supporting both a few years back. Some attitude, bad customer service and terrible food. Being on the river “Entertainment Row” they will exist but I’ll enjoy my carry on or go south to the Springs.
Just my .02 to add.

77charger

Reaction score
Havent been in a while but use to go often service was for the most part great only had 2 times where they slacked but understand it can be busy and both times we had larger group.food was always great too

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Go there twice a month never had bad service or food for breakfast. I always get there before the crowd so it might have something to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BingerFang

Reaction score
I had breakfast there about a month ago and it was one of the best breakfast spots I've ever been to. The ham steak was huge and delicious, the chicken fried steak was delicious, the pancakes were awesome.... sorry to hear you had a bad experience but we were very pleased with ours.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It’s weird to read these reviews and how amazingly different they are from one another..

We don’t go a lot (mostly because of my injury and just now kinda getting back on my feet). But I have never had a bad time or meal there..

I personally would change somethings on the menu, but overall I always find something I like.

I have never gotten bad service but I have a different program than most when it comes to river restaurants so I’m never really disappointed. :D

when I walk in I get a beer at the bar and open a tab.. then order one from the waitress.

if you rely on the wait staff at any of these places for drinks you are going to die of thirst.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Nobody has made mention of it, however I have noticed and so have my boat guests... it’s nice to have a friendly welcoming hello and be handed a bottle of cold water when we walk in. [emoji106][emoji106]
Just sayin

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Last Saturday we went to Havasu Springs instead of Topock for the first time in a couple of years. Mid July, we had some friends out and we took them to Topock for breakfast. We had raved about their breakfast's for a couple of years and they wanted to go there to check it out. They screwed up all of our orders and I ended up with burnt pancakes. I get that it must be hard to get good people there, but wow. From what we saw, the hardest working people there were a couple of kids about 12-14 doing the bussing and moving kegs around.

Anyway, we will go back at some point, the view is awesome and the employees do seem nice. Maybe they are going through a rough patch.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think the point that is missed at virtually all of these places is there is no consistency.. Sometimes you go and it's awesome, and sometimes it sucks. I generally order pretty simple things that are hard to screw up like a hamburger etc.. So I'm rarely disappointed, but my expectations aren't high.

I hate being negative, especially on the internet and on here, but the food in Havasu as a whole sucks.. It's the only shitty part about living here.

I don't understand it at all.. Even the best restaurants here wouldn't survive in any normal city.

It's pretty eye opening when you can run up to Needles (the armpit of the world) and goto river city pizza, order a hot Italian and ask yourself.. "Why can't we get something like this in LHC? WTF?"

Even Barstow has better food than LHC?

RD

Dirtbag

Reaction score
It’s weird to read these reviews and how amazingly different they are from one another..

We don’t go a lot (mostly because of my injury and just now kinda getting back on my feet). But I have never had a bad time or meal there..

I personally would change somethings on the menu, but overall I always find something I like.

I have never gotten bad service but I have a different program than most when it comes to river restaurants so I’m never really disappointed. :D

when I walk in I get a beer at the bar and open a tab.. then order one from the waitress.

if you rely on the wait staff at any of these places for drinks you are going to die of thirst.
was just thinking how awesome the lobster and filets we had for the night cruise last few years for 25 bux. Well worth the money!

Springfield

Reaction score
I think the point that is missed at virtually all of these places is there is no consistency.. Sometimes you go and it's awesome, and sometimes it sucks. I generally order pretty simple things that are hard to screw up like a hamburger etc.. So I'm rarely disappointed, but my expectations aren't high.

I hate being negative, especially on the internet and on here, but the food in Havasu as a whole sucks.. It's the only shitty part about living here.

I don't understand it at all.. Even the best restaurants here wouldn't survive in any normal city.

It's pretty eye opening when you can run up to Needles (the armpit of the world) and goto river city pizza, order a hot Italian and ask yourself.. "Why can't we get something like this in LHC? WTF?"

RD

There it is......consistency is what burnt me out. I guess I just have higher expectations 100% of the time when it’s my money. I am actually glad both locations are there for everyone I’m just on hold for awhile.

D19

Reaction score
Have been a few times this summer. Having to wait 30+ mins to go inside is what annoys me the most. They could at least sell you a drink while you wait.

Last Sat we got to our outside table and all the chairs were sticky and the table wasn’t wiped down. What’s the point of making people wait outside and closing down the bar to adhere to the Covid guidelines if you’re not even going to clean the tables before you seat people?

Food and service has gone way downhill this year. Its not even worth going to sit outside under an EZ up in the dirt for Denny’s quality food.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Last Saturday we went to Havasu Springs instead of Topock for the first time in a couple of years. Mid July, we had some friends out and we took them to Topock for breakfast. We had raved about their breakfast's for a couple of years and they wanted to go there to check it out. They screwed up all of our orders and I ended up with burnt pancakes. I get that it must be hard to get good people there, but wow. From what we saw, the hardest working people there were a couple of kids about 12-14 doing the bussing and moving kegs around.

Anyway, we will go back at some point, the view is awesome and the employees do seem nice. Maybe they are going through a rough patch.
I must comment that the service we had at Topock was decent this time, but most of the time we go and sit and have to find someone to take our order. Like you said the few kids that were bussing the tables were the hardest ones working there. The one kid even brought a big bowl for our dog to lap up her water. We gave him $5 tip when we left. We sat at the counter overlooking at the water, it must be the paint on it, but it always feels sticky.

When we got there there was no line to get in, we were seated right away, but when we left there quite a few people waiting to get seated. The best part was nobody was wearing a mask - just like old times.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

RD

These are facts!! River city is good. And a wild shocker is the Silver Dollar in Golden shores beats topock, pirates and most havasu food.

Ive had to send coors light back at pirates, tasted like it sat in the sun for a month then put in the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spark2678

Reaction score
Springs breakfast has been great this summer. I haven't been to Topock this summer, has always been hit and miss both on food and service.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with topock are the docks and service. Food is alright but overpriced for what it is.

Pirates, service seems much better but food sucks and is overpriced again. No docks most of the time as I beach it and take the taxi

Havasu Springs has shitty docks but better food and even better service

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Haven't been for awhile, but usually wasn't too bad. So if Chet's not there isn't Chip still around?

MagicMan

Reaction score
Looking to boat n dine breakfast/lunch? Hit up Makai Cafe. Everything taste great, service is excellent. Discovered this place Labor day. The hamburger steak is 🔥, had it with eggs and home potatoes. Also chile verde chillaquilles were ridiculous. Dock your boat at the heat walk over enjoy a meal boat out for the day.