WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why Does The Food Suck So Bad At Topock 66?

HSR

Reaction score
Chico's
Taste of india (Covid- defunct)
Place to be
In-N-out

A pathetic list, welcome to Havasu.
Place to be is really good. Kind of odd menu and hours, but great food. Chico’s also doesn’t disappoint. I’d also add Borns Best for subs, cha bones, El Paraisio, and Vita Dolce. Campbell cove also has pretty good subs and wraps, as does Kiowa drive through.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I am surprised more of you guys dont stop at the Chevron on the corner and grab boat wrapped sandwiches at the Pit Stop Deli.

Food is pretty marginal at both places on the river.

petie6464

Reaction score
Place to be is really good. Kind of odd menu and hours, but great food. Chico’s also doesn’t disappoint. I’d also add Borns Best for subs, cha bones, El Paraisio, and Vita Dolce. Campbell cove also has pretty good subs and wraps, as does Kiowa drive through.

Borns: Luchmeat on a roll.

Cha bones: Horrible service, mediocre food, inconsistent.

El Paraisio: Never been there.

Vita Dolce: Had what looked like a giant pubic hair in my lasagna!

Campbell cove: More processed lunchmeat on a roll.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If you're on Havasu, there is no place to eat except at opposite ends - There's Topoc and both offerings suck, and down at Havasu Sprinigs and that's where we launch out of. I don't mess with the channel. I've heard that Black Meadow has a good restaurant, but I've never checked it out. We do sandwiches from home now, the kids are grown up, don't spill and are very conscientious when in the boat with food.

The old go-to is what we call River Sandwiches - fresh bollio rolls from Vons sliced in half just stopping short of going through so it's butterflied, mayo on both sides, 2 large slices of turkey across both sides, close it up and bag them up in a big ziplok bag. Now chop up a jar of Claussen sliced pickles into small pieces, chop up some roma tomatoes, and dump the juice out of a jar of sliced peproccini (sp) peppers. Put all those in separate ziplok bags and bring a large spoon. When it's time to eat open up the sandwiches and take a spoonful of tomatoes, pickles, and peppers on your sandwich, open a bag of chips and you're good to go. You're welcome, I just saved you a minimum of $50 at Topoc or Pirates.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
If you're on Havasu, there is no place to eat except at opposite ends - There's Topoc and both offerings suck, and down at Havasu Sprinigs and that's where we launch out of. I don't mess with the channel. I've heard that Black Meadow has a good restaurant, but I've never checked it out. We do sandwiches from home now, the kids are grown up, don't spill and are very conscientious when in the boat with food.

The old go-to is what we call River Sandwiches - fresh bollio rolls from Vons sliced in half just stopping short of going through so it's butterflied, mayo on both sides, 2 large slices of turkey across both sides, close it up and bag them up in a big ziplok bag. Now chop up a jar of Claussen sliced pickles into small pieces, chop up some roma tomatoes, and dump the juice out of a jar of sliced peproccini (sp) peppers. Put all those in separate ziplok bags and bring a large spoon. When it's time to eat open up the sandwiches and take a spoonful of tomatoes, pickles, and peppers on your sandwich, open a bag of chips and you're good to go. You're welcome, I just saved you a minimum of $50 at Topoc or Pirates.
Thank you. You just made my desert trip lunch menu this weekend.
But you forgot chopped onions lol.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Topoc's food was bad 10 years ago and it will be bad 10 years from now as long as they have clients paying their crazy prices for crap food just to have a drink...trust me make them lose $$$$$ because of the food being crap and they will either go out of business, sell, or get a clue and hire a decent cook and staff to handle the place. If you are paying 50-60 bucks for 2 people for food and maybe a drink each you better be getting at least decent food, for that amount per meal I guarantee there is enough profit room to at least hire a decent cook and make sure you have some attentive staff members on hand. Management is the key...but what the F do I know......I just won't eat there often, maybe once or twice in a decade after we gave up on the dozens of times the food was awful.......

DB / HAV

Reaction score
The warm drafts at 66 would be a lot more tolerable if they ever came with a frickin' vowel ;)
1603333198607.jpeg

checkrd past

Reaction score
Had a bad order for my fisrt time and didn't know until i got home .Called and they sorry and put my name on the redo list.I'm thinking Right,and totally forgot about it until 8 months later.Went in and sure as shit, my name is there and gave me a new order free. Very cool

Oh yeah that was at Chico's

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
They do need to work on their draft for sure forgot the explanation something about a modern tap deal etc etc,Well ive seen cheaper systems chill better.But hint if you went often and had same waitress you could have had your draft sitting in a bigger cup of ice to chill down a bit.Best was when we went an it was like 116 i told waitress i wanted my alm bottled bud light real cold she brought it out in a pitcher of ice water that pitcher was left for my rest of beers.

We rarely had bad service usually had same servers who were awesome but these days food at most places can suck we went to rock in brews last week first time in months my salmon was cut in half gone were the mashed potatoes but 4 dollar increase,friends tri tip was just a bad cut he didnt eat it.Manager came by who i know from eating there weekly in the past he comped froends tri tip gave him a a beer i told him about my salmon he straight up told me supplier issues with covid right now said normal supply places are empty they have to search around to other vendors etc.

84miller

Reaction score
I think the point that is missed at virtually all of these places is there is no consistency.. Sometimes you go and it's awesome, and sometimes it sucks. I generally order pretty simple things that are hard to screw up like a hamburger etc.. So I'm rarely disappointed, but my expectations aren't high.

I hate being negative, especially on the internet and on here, but the food in Havasu as a whole sucks.. It's the only shitty part about living here.

I don't understand it at all.. Even the best restaurants here wouldn't survive in any normal city.

It's pretty eye opening when you can run up to Needles (the armpit of the world) and goto river city pizza, order a hot Italian and ask yourself.. "Why can't we get something like this in LHC? WTF?"

Even Barstow has better food than LHC?

RD

You hit the target, consistency. I know a local girl, born and raised in Parker, lives in Havasu and works the industry of bartender/food restaurant. I was coaching her on how to move up in a job. The one questioned I asked was what is the most open position available. She said cooks. Cooks in this entire area come, go, move around, move to a better paying area or just quit cooking all together. This is why it can be good, then bad. It depends on the cook that day, because you never know who is cooking day to day. Real problem is finding and keeping a cook.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I always thought about buying a big pontoon half enclosing it and grilling burgers etc... Set it up at the sandbar as a walk up deal or even just anchor in a no wake and make it a boat drive through.

checkrd past

Reaction score
I always thought about buying a big pontoon half enclosing it and grilling burgers etc... Set it up at the sandbar as a walk up deal or even just anchor in a no wake and make it a boat drive through.

Didn't they have one on the parker strip.A total dirtbag setup but they had the best burgers and curly fries .that was in the early 2000's

Hammer

Reaction score
Ate there on Saturday. I probably won’t be back. It used to be the best. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
I was there Saturday. NO complaints. Cool employees, food was fine

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
They made a mistake when they tore down the Old Place. I like "Joints" the comfortable feel of relax, be comfortable and your are Welcome. This is especially on the Water, I mean Pirate's is Cool and all, but I do Not need fanncy all new and almost not the comfortable of the Old Scruffy Places. Plus the prices at Pirates ruin the fun in a Place on the Water.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
One of our kids works at a amazing 9 item fast food place.
Lines out the door. If the couple that created it ever franchises it they’ll have lines out the door for investors too.

Amazing simple food. Solid quality and taste.
It’s not rocket science. It’s essential IMHO.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
One of our kids works at a amazing 9 item fast food place.
Lines out the door. If the couple that created it ever franchises it they’ll have lines out the door for investors too.

Amazing simple food. Solid quality and taste.
It’s not rocket science. It’s essential IMHO.
Exactly! From what I hear Topocks menu isn't too big and it shouldn't be hard to master. Take the tri tip for instance it is one of the easiest things to cook and you can cook quite a few of them with the right equipment. Rocket science it's not.

Reactions: TPC

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Exactly! From what I hear Topocks menu isn't too big and it shouldn't be hard to master. Take the tri tip for instance it is one of the easiest things to cook and you can cook quite a few of them with the right equipment. Rocket science it's not.

I believe the average boater just wants something other than a Hot Dog in a place that is clean comfortable and affordable. Keeping a steady flow of customers all happy and satisfied instead of Kicking their "ASS" at the Checkout.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I believe the average boater just wants something other than a Hot Dog in a place that is clean comfortable and affordable. Keeping a steady flow of customers all happy and satisfied instead of Kicking their "ASS" at the Checkout.
The reason In n Out is so successful is they do one thing and do it right to the point that every time you go it's exactly the same. In Topock's case I think it may be a case of doing less but do it better, for example I've heard people talk about the beer not being cold, they should have a freezer full of glass schooners for beer. Nothing makes someone happier on a 100 plus day than a beer with frost on it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Floating food barge would make a killing at the Sandbar, 3 Dunes, Steamboat, etc. I think the Float up boat drive through would put you out of business.. you'd have 10 people's insurance calling you every weekend reporting an "accident" and that you "damaged their boat".

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
As far as good food in Havasu, it exists. There are some places with really good food in town. There are also some places with crappy food. You are not going to have a fine dining experience there, but to say there is no good food there just means you are not looking hard enough. There is not excellent food in every genre of cuisine though... it is a town in the middle of the desert. if you want 100 cuisine choices, drive to So Cal or Vegas.