WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why is everything becoming cashless?

ChrisV

Reaction score
Went to pick up the wife yesterday at LAX and was stuck at the ticket booth because I didn't have a card to pay. Left my card at the shop.

I've noticed a lot of places are cashless now. Whats the reason?

Restaurants
Music concerts
Parking ticket booth

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
B
Went to pick up the wife yesterday at LAX and was stuck at the ticket booth because I didn't have a card to pay. Left my card at the shop.

I've noticed a lot of places are cashless now. Whats the reason?

Restaurants
Music concerts
Parking ticket booth
Big Brother is watching. 👀
I also think businesses have figured out thru the plandemic it's one or two less employees to pay that might be sticky fingered.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I think there are multiple reasons... Direct deposit into account, no chance for theft of cash, no change or deposits necessary?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Ironically, in most restaurants, there is a really small handwritten note saying the use of credit cards will incur a 3.999% surcharge. Last I heard, this was illegal so I went to file a complaint. The DA sent me a 12 page form to fill out before they would consider prosecution. Umm, that's your job, not mine!

Anyone know if this was now legal. One restaurant owner told me this was provided to them by their business POS system, as a way to increase profit margins during O'biden economics.

BTW, that restaurant lost my business

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I think there are multiple reasons... Direct deposit into account, no chance for theft of cash, no change or deposits necessary?
One less contact point for customers to start a face to face argument with an employee

El Rojo

Reaction score
No theft from employees…faster transactions, etc

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Just sucks cause I look like an idiot yesterday holding up the line. 🤣
How did you end up paying?
I think it is crazy that bridge tolls in the Gay Area do not have toll takers. They mail you the bill based on the plate number. Our daughters car is in my wife's name and we can always tell when she goes there by the bill that comes in our mail.

ChrisV

Reaction score
How did you end up paying?
I think it is crazy that bridge tolls in the Gay Area do not have toll takers. They mail you the bill based on the plate number. Our daughters car is in my wife's name and we can always tell when she goes there by the bill that comes in our mail.
Waited for a worker to give me change.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Fiat currencies (cash) are going the way of the buggy whip.
It isn’t a conspiracy, IMO.
Cash is expensive to handle. What’s the point of it?
Most transactions are digital, including payroll.
It’s quickly becoming an outdated system to exchange a physical “marker” for goods or services.
In the old days people used gold. Then they figured out that you could just use paper to represent that gold. (Fiat)
Then they figured out you could leave your gold with a “bank” (thank you Knights Templar) and travel, then present your statement to the bank at the other end and get your “money” out instead of hauling a chest full of metal across the landscape.
This is the next progression.
Many people hate the idea, and swear cash is King, but that will not be true in the not so distant future.
It’ll turn into an under the table only form of commerce with a rapidly diminishing face value.
It’s important not to confuse the value of a dollar with an actual paper dollar.
The US dollar is in effect these days a unit of measurement moreso than an actual bill.

Having said that, I got caught by surprise the other way around this year when the Pennsylvania turnpike booth girl said “$4 cash only” to me while I held the entire Hwy up!
She gave me an envelope to send in my payment as I only had like 2 bucks on me!

samsah33

Reaction score
Remember when Justin Trudeau locked a bunch of Canadian citizens out of their bank accounts and their ability to transact when they donated to the trucker convoy protesting the Canadian vaccine mandates? Pretty much tells you all you need to know right there.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Aside from all the obvious answers, maybe the business would just rather their shady employee steal your information and steal from you instead of stealing cash from them? 🤔

Good point!

That’s why there are some basic rules to follow that will make you a difficult target.
Never use ATM cards at gas pumps. Never fall for the zero interest retail card offers.
Retail outlets are not your bank, no matter what bank backs them.
Never link primary bank accounts to other sites no matter how “convenient” it seems.
2FA is your friend.
Never duplicate passwords.
Never open promotional emails, and for god sakes don’t click those links.
Bank Credit cards protect you, never stick a debit card into a reader. (I still violate this rule though, especially at the grocery store).

Never tell your jackass friends about your finances, especially if they live on Facebook.
That’s between you, your bank, and finance guy.

A LOT of people are nonchalant about sharing PII of others on social media.
A so called friend of mine once posted my personal email on a group text from an employer with 4 or more people I didnt even know. While I was on an airplane.
That effectively opens up a contact stream to every single social media contact and app on every one of their devices. I flipped the fuck out.
He said he was doing me a favor…
Oh, and get those damned social media apps off your phone now.

People whine all the time about identity theft and scams but do almost nothing to prevent it.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Remember when Justin Trudeau locked a bunch of Canadian citizens out of their bank accounts and their ability to transact when they donated to the trucker convoy protesting the Canadian vaccine mandates? Pretty much tells you all you need to know right there.

Can’t do that in a blockchain.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Cashless society makes it easier for the govt to track $$, Tax your electronic $$, cutoff your$$ and control the flow of $$.

True. But they do that anyway, and they can easily just devalue fiat with one memo if they chose to.
But it also is a global economy.
Other than Obama flying pallets of cash to isis, not a lot is done with chests full of gold.

For instance, it looks like about $2 million US dollars a minute are trading in crypto alone right now.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
The latest acceleration of cashless was Covid. Nobody handling stuff if possible. I am not a religious guy as far as attending church etc., but I find it interesting nobody has mentioned that many believe this was "revealed" in Revelations. I'm skeptical of that connection, but odd to me it never comes up as we pay 2% of a LOT of transactions to bankers.

gqchris

Reaction score
Aside from all the obvious answers, maybe the business would just rather their shady employee steal your information and steal from you instead of stealing cash from them? 🤔
I am finding out that businesses are not taking my Amex card anymore because they say there are too many "charge backs". I had my interior designer tell me she only takes Zelle and Venmo. Im like WTF.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I am finding out that businesses are not taking my Amex card anymore because they say there are too many "charge backs". I had my interior designer tell me she only takes Zelle and Venmo. Im like WTF.

Yep

Vendors of all sizes are learning there are many ways to avoid traditional banking shakedowns nowadays.
Remember when we had to go to Walmart or wherever to “wire” people money? Lol
Like just a few years ago? For a fee of course.

Now it’s a couple clicks on any one of endless money apps. No fee to the bank…any bank.

The argument about government tracking goes away rather quickly with the advent of private blockchain type commerce.
Well, up until the IRS comes a calling! Lol

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Yep

Vendors of all sizes are learning there are many ways to avoid traditional banking shakedowns nowadays.
Remember when we had to go to Walmart or wherever to “wire” people money? Lol
Like just a few years ago? For a few of course.

Now it’s a couple clicks on any one of endless money apps. No fee to the bank…any bank.

The argument about government tracking goes away rather quickly with the advent of private blockchain type commerce.
Well, up until the IRS comes a calling! Lol

Any bitcoin of reputable quality is already controlled by the various banking cartels, including US banks. If you think you can avoid paying the state and fed their piece when you try to use it out of your wallet with any business that has to pay sales tax, you are in for a shock.

Talk to the guys who cash in out and transfer into a real bank so they can actually spend that money, the state and fed get their cut first, just like the lotto.

Venmo and Zelle have been recently added to the $600 limit on tracked exchanges, if you have 30k in venmo, you are for certain getting a tax bill as of last year.

Personally I doubt we will see cash go away in OUR lifetime, but it is certainly on their world order agenda.

530RL

Reaction score
Many businesses do not take AMEX because the total interchange fee is much higher than or networks such as Visa or Master Card.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of using cash. Hell it just got me a discount when I paid for my root canal.

Printed on every dollar bill it says "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private".

It seems to me not allowing cash would be illegal at this point but it could change in the future.....

ltbaney1

Reaction score
we take all cards at my office, Amex is by far the worst to deal with. they charge most on the back end and the worst to deal with. we have toyed with idea of not accepting it, but too many of our customers use it for the perks they get. if it were up to me we would go straight net terms and stop dealing with general public walk in sales.

hallett21

Reaction score
You can Venmo with the Amex but there’s a fee.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Any bitcoin of reputable quality is already controlled by the various banking cartels, including US banks. If you think you can avoid paying the state and fed their piece when you try to use it out of your wallet with any business that has to pay sales tax, you are in for a shock.

Talk to the guys who cash in out and transfer into a real bank so they can actually spend that money, the state and fed get their cut first, just like the lotto.

Venmo and Zelle have been recently added to the $600 limit on tracked exchanges, if you have 30k in venmo, you are for certain getting a tax bill as of last year.

Personally I doubt we will see cash go away in OUR lifetime, but it is certainly on their world order agenda.

Direct trades do not require a conversion or transfer to a bank account to use crypto.
In fact it’s what makes it desirable to use.
You dont HAVE to put it back in your bank if the other party also has any wallet at all. Just trade it. My buddies and I swap crypto all the time.
I also convert crypto to US dollars into my bank account when cashing out coins of course. And buy it out of a bank account as well. (I set up an insulated account strictly for that reason)
But so far this year I don’t see any chance of owing taxes on profits! Lol

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Cashless society makes it easier for the govt to track $$, Tax your electronic $$, cutoff your$$ and control the flow of $$.
WINNER!!!!!

This is the REASON!!!!

THE ONLY REASON!!

yes I'm an old FUCK!!!

I used to wear a Tin Foil hat..

guess what, I dont need it anymore...
what they "Elites - Gov" is right in front of our eyes...

these above answers ... people are a little complacent...

when the Guns are LOST.. just line up at the Bus...

its HAPPENING ....

62 y/o... I'll be battling for my grandkids..

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of using cash. Hell it just got me a discount when I paid for my root canal.

Printed on every dollar bill it says "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private".

It seems to me not allowing cash would be illegal at this point but it could change in the future.....

I got a cash discount at Havasu regional last year as well!
Still paid it digitally with a debit card though…

gqchris

Reaction score
You can Venmo with the Amex but there’s a fee.
I tried and it said I was over my amount. Then AMEX started flagging it. I just paid her cash, because she is scared of the chargebacks when people buy furniture then have buyers remorse. Luckily I have a relationship with her otherwise I would have told her to pound sand.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
WINNER!!!!!

This is the REASON!!!!

THE ONLY REASON!!

yes I'm an old FUCK!!!

I used to wear a Tin Foil hat..

guess what, I dont need it anymore...
what they "Elites - Gov" is right in front of our eyes...

these above answers ... people are a little complacent...

when the Guns are LOST.. just line up at the Bus...

its HAPPENING ....

62 y/o... I'll be battling for my grandkids..

It’s A reason, not the only reason.
More of a happy coincidence for the feds than a primary motivator.

I’m 60, and THE conspiracy guy! Lol
Cash is only worth whatever the government says it’s worth.
What good is a piece of paper to anyone if the country you live in says it’s no longer worth anything?
It’s a piece of paper that the owner (the us treasury) issued to you and told you is worth the value of a number printed on it. They can say tomorrow that it is no longer legal currency
And they can say that, and do say that all around the world all the time. We don’t believe a lot of things can happen because we’ve never seen them happen to us.

We are the only country in the world that can even really have this debate.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Ironically, in most restaurants, there is a really small handwritten note saying the use of credit cards will incur a 3.999% surcharge. Last I heard, this was illegal so I went to file a complaint. The DA sent me a 12 page form to fill out before they would consider prosecution. Umm, that's your job, not mine!

Anyone know if this was now legal. One restaurant owner told me this was provided to them by their business POS system, as a way to increase profit margins during O'biden economics.

BTW, that restaurant lost my business

Its state by state. I charge 4% to use a credit card because I get charged 3.2% plus a transaction fee by my processor. I lay it out in a clear as day separate line item. It tells my customers that they are paying an extra 4% to use a credit card and what dollar amount that 4% amounts to on their ticket. At that point, the ball is in their court.

cash, check, Zelle, wire transfer gets my customers an automatic 4% discount and the money hits my account faster this way too.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you but the useless fucks in ottowa did go after crypto with the help of the banks

Trust me I’m not disappointed!
Banks hate crypto.
I’d love to hear those details though.

What does “go after crypto” mean?

The only thing a bank can do as far as an insulated crypto account is refuse transfers in or out of a linked bank account.
Some banks already do that.
But that’s an easy work around with a proxy account.

They, and any government or anyone else for that matter has zero access to any non custodial block chain account.

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Having worked the technology side of banking/cash I can see why places want to get rid of it. I have worked on atms, Tidel and revolution cash handling machines. All these machines take a lot of behind the scenes work to keep the whole system working, armored car services sometimes daily and people like me that spent alot of time keeping them running.

Dalton

Reaction score
Cashless is just easier, and the points are nice. I think the gov likes it also, considering it’s basically illegal to carry large amounts of money, but you can have a 50-100k limit credit card in your pocket. Gov prob also gets more tax revenue the more people that use cards.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My biggest issue with using a card for everything is the ability for someone or something to shut it down. Be it a power outage, or the government saying "you just bought red meat, you aren't allowed to buy more for 10 days" or "your weekly fuel allowance has been reached".

I'll be a cash guy, then a barter guy, then just another dead dinosaur ;)

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Its state by state. I charge 4% to use a credit card because I get charged 3.2% plus a transaction fee by my processor. I lay it out in a clear as day separate line item. It tells my customers that they are paying an extra 4% to use a credit card and what dollar amount that 4% amounts to on their ticket. At that point, the ball is in their court.

cash, check, Zelle, wire transfer gets my customers an automatic 4% discount and the money hits my account faster this way too.

You will soon find that it's easier to just sweep it in with operating expenses and raise your labor and profit margins on parts supplied as you grow and your invoice totals grow. Many people just don't have the time to go get your cash after spending the time to liquidate it, since not very many have 10's of thousands available in a checking account.

Negativity about charging back YOUR costs to do business is some tough shit to get over in industries like ours where there are many other choices to be had out there.

I've never heard shit about my rates, and I raise them yearly to keep up with inflation, my costs go up just like everyone's does.

When It was suggested to me that I do that (tell people they can pay to use credit) I asked my regulars what they thought : they overwhelmingly choose to not participate, and it stuck to their minds like the ".75 to use a card" paper stuck on the mini marts cash register..it just feels wrong.

You should read your merchant contracts carefully, in CA I am specifically prohibited in my contract with VISA/MC/DISC/AMEX from charging an extra fee if I take their credit card.

My .2 anyhow ;)

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

This may have already been addressed in this thread - there’s too much for me to catch up on but, charging for credit card usage isn’t legal in every state. And for companies like us that do business across the United States we can’t blanket charge everybody X% amount because they use a credit card. So, we don’t take credit cards but we do take ACH and wire transfers and as a last resort payment by check

It’s screwed up that companies can’t just charge a blanket 4% or 5% fee for all credit card transactions across the United States but that’s the way each state doing their own thing (like with abortions)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
On many of my invoices we have the total including the 4% credit card fee and a lower price (discount) for check or cash.

Most choose not to pay the extra and take the discount. On smaller invoices I don't care, but 4% of a $12,000 bill is giving away too much.

I just came back from Cabo and many restaurants have signs saying CASH ONLY!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You will soon find that it's easier to just sweep it in with operating expenses and raise your labor and profit margins on parts supplied as you grow and your invoice totals grow. Many people just don't have the time to go get your cash after spending the time to liquidate it, since not very many have 10's of thousands available in a checking account.

Negativity about charging back YOUR costs to do business is some tough shit to get over in industries like ours where there are many other choices to be had out there.

I've never heard shit about my rates, and I raise them yearly to keep up with inflation, my costs go up just like everyone's does.

When It was suggested to me that I do that (tell people they can pay to use credit) I asked my regulars what they thought : they overwhelmingly choose to not participate, and it stuck to their minds like the ".75 to use a card" paper stuck on the mini marts cash register..it just feels wrong.

You should read your merchant contracts carefully, in CA I am specifically prohibited in my contract with VISA/MC/DISC/AMEX from charging an extra fee if I take their credit card.

My .2 anyhow ;)

I prefer not to take them at all but i am set up to as an added option. Not a single one of my customers has complained because I am very up front about it and encourage them to pay using an alternate method. I am a very "botique" mechanic. I deal directly with my customers and also help connect them to other businesses with services that are outside my wheelhouse. I am very selective with the customers I take on. The ones that like to nickel and dime and co-mechanic dont use me.

I already have a reputation on my waterway as a very selective quality mechanic that is on the expensive side. so I guess what Im saying is me charging a customer to use a credit card isnt running any of them off that hasnt chosen to use somebody else already.