WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why is patio furniture so effin expensive??

X-rated

Reaction score
Need to outfit my patio soon. Was hoping to get in on some end of season deals, yikes I was shocked to learn it'll cost a min of 7 grand for piss poor Chiney junk and could easily be 20 for better stuff, still Chinese just better junk. I'm not cheap but just can't see the value here. Anybody got an idea how to do it cheaper?

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Need to outfit my patio soon. Was hoping to get in on some end of season deals, yikes I was shocked to learn it'll cost a min of 7 grand for piss poor Chiney junk and could easily be 20 for better stuff, still Chinese just better junk. I'm not cheap but just can't see the value here. Anybody got an idea how to do it cheaper?

My parents buy some nice stuff, and it still goes to shit eventually, I the jet boat owner, purchased said Chinese crap that retails for 3k, for about 1k after savvy internet searching for the same stuff by product numbers and description, I started looking at Sears website as they 3rd party drop ship from a million vendors and make their end, and then found the OEM, and then found the guy that robbed his truck I guess. I spent a grand on my sectional as I know I will have to replace sooner than later so no need to over commit, I see zero value in "the good stuff" even when covered and babied all year, still falls apart.

HavaToon

Reaction score
No shit it's not cheap. We just dropped 10k on a bunch of crate and barrel stuff and it was 40% off. It does like really nice though, I'll post some pic once we get it all setup this weekend.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I bought a couch and 2 chairs on Amazon 3 years ago for under $700 shipped. It is the rattan chinese stuff with outdoor cushions.

They are still in good shape, but they sit under a solid patio cover, and are covered when not in use. Comfortable stuff, they looks better than their entry level price suggests, but not as nice and the expensive stuff.

Costco has some higher end stuff for fairly reasonable prices.

EDIT

This looks exactly like what I have, but all of mine shipped as single pieces of furniture. I pulled them out of the box and sat on them. This set looks like it has to be assembled.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...d=1470179450&sr=8-37&keywords=patio+furniture

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We had to do this a few years ago...

Keep your eye on Osh. They have KILLER end of summertime deals. We scored some real nice stuff. Well built, sunbrella material. Paid probably half of what retail was.

Home Depot had some decent stuff, but when it went on sale, it was all gone in a couple of days.

The high end stores are Crazy expensive. Keep a close eye on Osh...

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I craigslist mine. Ended up buying a floor model from Costco that one of those wholesalers had. I think it was a $1200 set. We settled on $500. Huge, heavy, aluminum chairs with a bronze/brown look. Never pay retail!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That is a great fuckin question.. For the prices of some of this stuff you would think it would have an engine and fly or some shit.. 20-30K for patio funiture?

RD

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We were shopping for a patio set years back with a $1000 budget. I remember walking into California Patio, taking one lap around and walking out. I was FLOORED by how much some of these sets were.

We ended up at Jerome's and got a decent set that is going on 4 years old now.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Costco has some good stuff and prices seem more in line. Plus, if it turns to shit take it back.
I agree, but you guys already know I'm a Costco fanatic :D

I actually bought a set when we lived in CA.......it sat outside for 1 1/2 years and I was talking to my friend who is a Costco Manager, told him it really wasn't what I had hoped for and he said.......take it back. I said no way it's been outside for 18 months and he said.....no issues so I did and guess what I got all my $$$ back (including tax) and bought a better for us set for about 70% of the price......I love Costco.

I recommend that you at least look here and see if there's anything that you like; http://www.costco.com/patio-furniture.html

spectras only

Reaction score
I looked at genuine Rattan [ not Chinese knock off ] and was surprised how much they charge for a fricking wicker furniture. I like quality in furniture but no way spending 10K for something sitting outside on the deck. Found this 6 pc conversation set by LAZ-Boy at Canadian Tire [ I'm sure it's available in the US as well] it's very comfortable an feels sturdy as well. It has a painted steel frame [ I'll have it under cover on my deck ] vs aluminum, but has excellent reviews. It's on sale at $ 1395 cdn. I have a LAz-Boy rocker that's 20 yrs old and it still looks and works like new.:thumbsup
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/la-z-boy-outdoor-avondale-conversation-set-6-pc-0881615p.html

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Costco. We use the you know what out of ours and it has been awesome. 5 years on the current set.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Yea...Costco has good pricing and quality sets. Crazy what they are charging now for outdoor furniture. It's the popular thing now and got us by the balls...lol.....getting late in the season....might be a pinch late. Home Depot don't have shit, and their stuff sucks imo. I just picked up a bunch of stuff from Lowes and was surprised of how nice some of their stuff is.......ran across some slashed pricing on my sets.....not really advertised...had to walk the aisles. :D

Attachments

• 20160802_174808.jpg
    20160802_174808.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 113

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Mine were frame only sets......it's the cushions that weren't cheap. :yikes Like 60 a piece and I needed 9 cuz I bought all those damn pieces. :yikes....so I paid a big chunk for cushions.......but paid only like less than 600 I believe for all the frames that would have been like 2500 at their non sale price. Not too bad imo. Sofa, loveseat, big table, 2 sm tables, 2 ottomans, 2 rocker chairs, and 2 reg chairs. All aluminum, wicker backs. Lowes Allen and Roth stuff.

2Driver

Reaction score
Estate sales and craigslist. We have 4 sets of tropitone and brown jordon. It was cheap cheap. I couldnt image what it all would have been new but I know one lounge prices out at $1900 new. Shit, thats a used dirt bike

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Yup the stuff ain't cheap uploadfromtaptalk1470188978730.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Estate sales and craigslist. We have 4 sets of tropitone and brown jordon. It was cheap cheap. I couldnt image what it all would have been new but I know one lounge prices out at $1900 new. Shit, thats a used dirt bike
Tropitone is outrageous. But the other half had to have it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 119

Singleton

Reaction score
Living coastal, I went with Polywood patio furniture. 2 chairs, 2 end tables, 1 loves seat and 2 lounges. Stuff was not cheap, but had a life time warranty and does not get beat up by the environment. After 3 sets of the cheap stuff in 12 years, spent the cash so I don't have to buy another set for an extended period of time.

RodnJen

Reaction score
We bought a set from Target 17 years ago when we moved into our first house. We still use to this day. We buy new cushions for the six chairs every 3-4 years. I want something different, more fashionable with a long table and seating for 10 but $3.5k to $6k just seems absurd for crap that you know will break. I hate to get rid of something that hasn't broken yet and still looks fine for what it is.

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
We bought a set from Target 17 years ago when we moved into our first house. We still use to this day. We buy new cushions for the six chairs every 3-4 years. I want something different, more fashionable with a long table and seating for 10 but $3.5k to $6k just seems absurd for crap that you know will break. I hate to get rid of something that hasn't broken yet and still looks fine for what it is.

Costco definitely has good pricing on the dining type sets. :thumbsup And they're either the nice thick aluminum type, or even teak. I'd say 2k and under range.

X-rated

Reaction score
Because I'm in Canada I don't have access to a lot of the stores u have in the U.S. But...Costco.ca has some smokin deals and they deliver with the Costco warranty. Thanks guys, I'm going shopping online!!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We just outfitted our patio for under a grand. Metal framed plastic wicker stuff.
Bought it at a wholesale place in Vista, Ca. It's like Ikea where you have to bolt it together yourself.
All came with sunbrella material covers and pads.
Two loungers.
Two chairs
One love seat sofa.
One coffee table w/glass top
One end table w/glass top

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We just outfitted our patio for under a grand. Metal framed plastic wicker stuff.
Bought it at a wholesale place in Vista, Ca. It's like Ikea where you have to bolt it together yourself.
All came with sunbrella material covers and pads.
Two loungers.
Two chairs
One love seat sofa.
One coffee table w/glass top
One end table w/glass top

That sounds like the Amazon link I posted..

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That sounds like the Amazon link I posted..
Wife did the research and said the amazon items didn't measure up to this stuff....IDK
This place looks like a supply warehouse for retail stores. Seen things at stores that basically looked identical for double the money.
They had some real nice higher end stuff too.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Here on the Gulf Coast, the humid environment ie brutal. Woodworking is my hobby so I build my own frames and the wife shops for cushions.

Many folks have the frames built by custom shops from SS or powdercoated steel and some use composite materials. Not cheap, but the stuff lasts. Cushions just have to be stored in a dry place.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I got mine from Ikea cheaper looks as good as the high dollar stuff.

max930

Reaction score
I got mine at Costco about 8 years ago. Its good. But towards the end of September, we get storms. High winds and rain. So it get pretty trashed outside. I'll buy another set at Costco next year. I'm in the process of doing a new pool liner and stuff. New pool heater and may make the pool pump house larger for more storage.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Modern Line Furniture, on line . They have wicker-like outdoor pieces with fabrics and vinyl cushions .

JRS1939

Reaction score
Why is everything wicker now? Is it just because it's trendy?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If you have the model number for it, I can get you a price

Thanks so much for the hook up. I highly recommend your brother [emoji106][emoji106]picked up the sofa yesterday. Still in the unpacking stage at the house so excuse the mess.
View attachment 504565

If anyone is looking shoot Marc a call great guy and a pleasure to do business with. [emoji106]
View attachment 504566

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the hook up. I highly recommend your brother [emoji106][emoji106]picked up the sofa yesterday. Still in the unpacking stage at the house so excuse the mess.
View attachment 504565

If anyone is looking shoot Marc a call great guy and a pleasure to do business with. [emoji106]
View attachment 504566

Glad it worked out, I know my brother appreciates the business. Thanks again!

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Nice furniture Bill......do yourself a favor and rip out that Mexican Palm before it destroys your wall....ask me how I know. :D

NicPaus

Reaction score
Nice furniture Bill......do yourself a favor and rip out that Mexican Palm before it destroys your wall....ask me how I know. :D

x-2 I have a home grown Cali Kentia palm to replace it with house warming gift. Located in Torrance will grab 1 from my Moms for you Sunday pick it up whenever or have RDP deliv service.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

That palm is in a pot. Behind the couch is all concrete. There's a small planter off to the side that I have considered doing bamboo in currently there are numerous rose bushes through put the front and back yard ( I hate roses)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
No shit it's not cheap. We just dropped 10k on a bunch of crate and barrel stuff and it was 40% off. It does like really nice though, I'll post some pic once we get it all setup this weekend.

I hope it holds up. We spent a grip of cash on Crate and Barrel furniture at our last house. Everything was shot in about 3 years. No kidding, I was not happy. The el-cheapo stuff my wife had before we met, purchased at Sam's Club, is what we still use.

Anyway, on patio furniture. We have a set purchased on line from Target a decade ago. Have had to replace the cushions but the furniture itself has help up well. Spent well less than a grand.

lebel409

Reaction score
We were looking for patio chairs...nothing fancy. $100 for a chair? We lowered our expectations a bit and went to HD, crap @ $30-50. Finally went to Walmart, better chairs @$20...and in the sale area, their best chairs, extra wide on sale for $5.00 each.

Keep shopping!

Tank

Reaction score
Not only is it expensive it's crap! That fake weave shit starts to fall apart after about 2 years. We have three separate sets of outdoor furniture, one on each yard and they're all falling apart (the plastic weave) and there's no repairing it. Pisses me off.

Groper

Reaction score
Tropitone=Forever
You only purchase it once.:D