WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

*** WHY PEOPLE SHY AWAY FROM BOATS WITH OUT MERC POWER !!!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
You know most of this story, there's a bad ass boat for sell, but it's not selling... why you ask ??,... it's because of the power..... people shy away from custom built high power motors... you would think it would be the other way around....but, custom motors are plagued with problems... too much power for out drives... constant oil leakers, high fuel consumption. and won't run on pump gas...

Merc has done extensive testing for trouble free longevity and match power to out drives... they have to give a real warranty,.. they make power at lower RPMs. and what that does is lower the crank case pressure, there for reducing oil leaks,.. I've owned multiple merc big block, no oil leaks,... you could drive them on pin all the way to china and they stay together VS custom motorrs that blow up...

Jay Dub

Reaction score
You know most of this story, there's a bad ass boat for sell, but it's not selling... why you ask ??,... it's because of the power..... people shy away from custom built high power motors... you would think it would be the other way around....but, custom motors are plagued with problems... too much power for out drives... constant oil leakers, high fuel consumption. and won't run on pump gas...

Merc has done extensive testing for trouble free longevity and match power to out drives... they have to give a real warranty,.. they make power at lower RPMs. and what that does is lower the crank case pressure, there for reducing oil leaks,.. I've owned multiple merc big block, no oil leaks,... you could drive them on pin all the way to china and they stay together VS custom motorrs that blow up...
We love the boat you are speaking of and we considered buying it. It may seem irrational but, the engine scares us.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I thought you were talking about Evinrude outboards with the title. People that buy boats on a payment, need reliability. People that pay cash want the glitz and have the money to repair...usually. The market is higher priced and many buyers are using the loan option so the demand for reliable power is creating more demand.

With that said, I'm in the market for a good deal.

TCHB

Reaction score
I still think the outdrive is the week link in Mercury products. How often do you pull the transmission out of you car for maintenance.

Reactions: DWC

hallett3

Reaction score
I like the reliable power. I think if you want to up grade on Mercury power is just go with the blue motors. They give you a more power than stock mercury motors and they are so reliable. You have some great engine builders out there but your going to pay big bucks. For the money, power and resale value can’t go wrong. I feel when a see a boat for sale and the engine appears not stock but has a look of back yard mechanic engine build, I would personally shy away.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Brummett power is one I wouldn't be afraid of. The asking price though. That is what I would be afraid of.
I've had brummett power and would again... what I would ask,and though this thread is not about that boat... how much of the price is the motor??? and how much would it be with say a 525 merc.... and which would sell quicker??

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Merc has the fairy dust sprinkled on their motors lol

I don’t know what these custom high HP motors are that are leaking oil. Sounds more like someone’s budget build. I personally have never had any of my higher HP custom motors leak oil 🤷

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I've had brummett power and would again... what I would ask,and though this thread is not about that boat... how much of the price is the motor??? and how much would it be with say a 525 merc.... and which would sell quicker??
Your old 24 with the 525 the guy wants 75k. He put a teak swim step on it, and doesn't look nearly as nice when you had it. That boat is a combo of age, price, and the motor.
Your old boat even in this market should be 55k. People paying the ridiculous prices are driving the market.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

I don’t know what these custom high HP motors are that are leaking oil. Sounds more like someone’s budget build. I personally have never had any of my higher HP custom motors leak oil 🤷
Plenty do. More than you would think. Agree with the fairy dust. It is so magical it cost 3 times more.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We love the boat you are speaking of and we considered buying it. It may seem irrational but, the engine scares us.
again, that not the boat, I was referring to all... there's others out there..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Your old 24 with the 525 the guy wants 75k. He put a teak swim step on it, and doesn't look nearly as nice when you had it. That boat is a combo of age, price, and the motor.
Your old boat even in this market should be 55k. People paying the ridiculous prices are driving the market.
geez, I thought when I paid 30k I was stepping way out,,,but I did have to get it to perform correct...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

I'm not taking that bait....lol not saying the builders, or the boat owners...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Here's one for ya.... I have a hallett 210 closed bow, 454 merc... runs great,... right at the hallett 210 speed limit...70 mph, probley 3-5 mph faster than a open bow... it's a carb motor, spins a labbed 24p bravo prop.. thoughts on repower was to go to the new 370 hp merc.... vs building a mild aluminum head big block..... which way would you go????

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Here's one for ya.... I have a hallett 210 closed bow, 454 merc... runs great,... right at the hallett 210 speed limit...70 mph, probley 3-5 mph faster than a open bow... it's a carb motor, spins a labbed 24p bravo prop.. thoughts on repower was to go to the new 370 hp merc.... vs building a mild aluminum head big block..... which way would you go????
454 mag? 365hp? How many hrs on the motor? You have a pic of the boat?

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I spoke with the seller several times about this 240. I agreed to pay 60 subject to lake test etc. He initially agreed, then someone says its worth "more". Now, asking price is 75. I passed

Jay Dub

Reaction score
For me the new Merc 6.2L 350-370HP is a perfect fit for a closed bow 210. turnkey, good performance, great fuel economy.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I spoke with the seller several times about this 240. I agreed to pay 60 subject to lake test etc. He initially agreed, then someone says its worth "more". Now, asking price is 75. I passed
60k is still too much.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Build the big block and be done for under $5k. It’s carbed, should be simple.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Had no problem getting top dollar for my DCB with twin TCM 1250's. Boat would not have sold for any more, or any less , with Merc power of same rating. Actually thinking this through my boat with 75 hours on the motors would probably have sold for less with Merc power. Teague motors are rated good for 200+ hours and Merc only for 100.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Had no problem getting top dollar for my DCB with twin TCM 1250's. Boat would not have sold for any more, or any less , with Merc power of same rating. Actually thinking this through my boat with 75 hours on the motors would probably have sold for less with Merc power. Teague motors are rated good for 200+ hours and Merc only for 100.
Always blows me away at how few hours are expected out of these motors. I get that they're high rpm, high compression, yada, yada and all that but still.......100 hrs during summer boating could realistically be reached in a few weekends.
Imagine if your car engine only went 100-200hrs, 90% of SoCal is overhauling every couple weeks😄🤣

HCP3

Reaction score

I don't think people put Teague in the same basket as a random custom big block motor. At least for me, Teague is up there with Merc Racing when considering a boat.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Always blows me away at how few hours are expected out of these motors. I get that they're high rpm, high compression, yada, yada and all that but still.......100 hrs during summer boating could realistically be reached in a few weekends.
Imagine if your car engine only went 100-200hrs, 90% of SoCal is overhauling every couple weeks😄🤣

Its CYA. If you never go past 70% throttle they would probably last hundreds of hours. But if it lets go... cubic dollars LOL.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Its CYA. If you never go past 70% throttle they would probably last hundreds of hours. But if it lets go... cubic dollars LOL.
Lol, I've yet to see someone with 1150s or 1350s not lay the sticks down beyond 70%😄

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol, I've yet to see someone with 1150s or 1350s not lay the sticks down beyond 70%😄
That 1 yellow DCB has what 250+ hours on his turbo mercs without a service? I forgot what variant they are.

A squirt here or there isn't gonna be a big deal. It's leaning on it for 30+ minutes at a time. Havasu really isn't even big enough for that.

I think a 1000 HP engine (or 2) in a DCB is gonna get run harder than a 1000 HP engine in a Howard deck boat that's cruising at 70 95% of the time too.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score

Aaaaaaaaaand, here's the ad.............. Knew something had to come for sale in this thread.......

liv4riv

Reaction score

I relate this as I like to go Boating and hate floating.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Not sure why we are repowering a perfectly good boat. That being said, non stock non Mercury motors are hard to sell. People want stock Merc power. I’d repower it with the 370 efi all day and twice on Sunday. No one wants your garage built BBC with heads and intake from Summit and a carb sitting on top of that mess.

oldschool

Reaction score
Not sure why we are repowering a perfectly good boat. That being said, non stock non Mercury motors are hard to sell. People want stock Merc power. I’d repower it with the 370 efi all day and twice on Sunday. No one wants your garage built BBC with heads and intake from Summit and a carb sitting on top of that mess.
Depends. Have the Summit and Crane Cams stickers been applied in the engine compartment?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

The first sentence or two here is spot on.

MOST buyers wouldn't know how to disceern a well built engine, or bulilder! So they will feel more comfortable with stock.

The reality is...

Merc runs their stuff seriously detuned, and filthy rich (to keep the cylinders cool) and that's why they last so long.

Some people don't like detuned. And thats why the aftermarket exists. Lots of options out there. 👍🏼

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I personally would never have a custom motor - love dependability - not even the $$$, just the hassle, but i know people that broke their custom setup, and the boat sat because they couldn't do the payment and the repair

Your ad here

Reaction score
Long story short I bought a 21 Commander jet with a 454 just rebuilt to 496 but really didn't want to because of this fresh 496 but I did anyways. The crank broke after 5 hours on the water. Repowered with a 502 assembled by Commander and ran great. Sold the boat a few years ago.
Now I have a boat with a 454 I thought was stock minus an IMCO exhaust, Holley carb, and MSD ignition. I find out it has one of those MSD timing adjusting knobs and may have a cam but have no info on the cam. I would like to remove the timing knob and install a cam I know the specs on.
I prefer stock power. Easy to diagnose and doesn't have "budget" parts that could be problematic.

Last edited:

TCHB

Reaction score
My old old Hardin Marine big block ran for years in our first jet boat. It was a completly stock Chevrolet

oldschool

Reaction score
Long story short I bought a 21 Commander jet with a 454 just rebuilt to 496 but really didn't want to because of this fresh 496 but I did anyways. The crank broke after 5 hours on the water.
Now I have a 454 I thought was stock minus an IMCO exhaust, Holley carb, and MSD ignition. I find out it has one of those MSD timing adjusting knobs and may have a cam but have no info on the cam. I would like to remove the timing knob and install a cam I know the specs on.
I prefer stock power. Easy to diagnose and doesn't have "budget" parts that could be problematic.
If it’s an MSD BTM box with retard you can cap it and leave the dial at 0.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Decades ago...

I built a nice engine for a friend's jet boat. Nothing crazy. Decent compression, nice cam, tunnel ram (for looks) and some decent tuning.

That engine lasted him twelve years, until...

It had a small oil leak at the pan gasket. Someone else, pulled the pan, replaced the gasket, and "checked" a couple of bearings.

They told my friend the bearings had been installed backwards. 🙄

Shortly after this, the engine blew up. And they tried to blame it on me.

Even though it was fine for Twelve years. 🙄

oldschool

Reaction score
Decades ago...

I built a nice engine for a friend's jet boat. Nothing crazy. Decent compression, nice cam, tunnel ram (for looks) and some decent tuning.

That engine lasted him twelve years, until...

It had a small oil leak at the pan gasket. Someone else, pulled the pan, replaced the gasket, and "checked" a couple of bearings.

They told my friend the bearings had been installed backwards. 🙄

Shortly after this, the engine blew up. And they tried to blame it on me.

Even though it was fine for Twelve years. 🙄
Imagine how long it would have ran if you would have put the bearing in correctly.