WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wi-Fi mesh?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Looking to get my wi-fi with clear signal out to the pool area and shop garage.

Currently have ATT internet service with their router.... which pretty much covers the whole house. I added a netgear repeater thing a few years ago by the pool, and it worked decent, but sometimes it works and sometimes it does not... I would like get that area working properly, and then bounce it to the shop garage, which is about 35-60' away from the pool.

Do I need to go with a mesh system... or are there better repeaters available now? trying to find something that is very user friendly... but also secure / keeping privacy in mind.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Mesh for sure. We did our house and shop on 1.5 acres last year and should have done it years ago.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I have ATT fiber, their combo router sucks. I'm in a 1400sqft 3/2 and wifi was horrible across the house. Mesh yes but use something completely different than the built in wifi they provide. You will have way better throughput.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Works great, we purchased the Google 4 pack at Costco last year for $150 on sale. It so good I have one spare.

gqchris

Reaction score
Empire, where ya located? Havasu?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Works great, we purchased the Google 4 pack at Costco last year for $150 on sale. It so good I have one spare.

Costco has a deal right not on a mesh system w/ router... I would like to have something without microphones etc, don't need any more voice activated crap around other than the iphone lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
interested in this....

I want great coverage everywhere. I also think i need the pass through so you can use these and also a computer/tv.

Experts...whats the best easist system.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I added the Nighthawk NetGear mesh system to our house and wished I would have done it sooner. Huge improvement and no lost signals

socal0487

Reaction score
Looking to get my wi-fi with clear signal out to the pool area and shop garage.

Currently have ATT internet service with their router.... which pretty much covers the whole house. I added a netgear repeater thing a few years ago by the pool, and it worked decent, but sometimes it works and sometimes it does not... I would like get that area working properly, and then bounce it to the shop garage, which is about 35-60' away from the pool.

Do I need to go with a mesh system... or are there better repeaters available now? trying to find something that is very user friendly... but also secure / keeping privacy in mind.
The problem with a extender is it has its own network. So when you leave your main network to your extender it has to get off main network and then find the extender network. I had problems with extenders. Switch to a mesh system a couple of years ago and extremely happy with it.

Attachments

• 97CF8A94-EC17-4192-BE84-3C32BE1B4FB3.jpeg
    97CF8A94-EC17-4192-BE84-3C32BE1B4FB3.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 22

gqchris

Reaction score
Riverside, CA
I sell/install Ubiquiti gear for my clients. It is a true mesh business grade network. I can provision them and they can work off my Controller and ship em your way and you install. Let me know

gqchris

Reaction score
interested in this....

I want great coverage everywhere. I also think i need the pass through so you can use these and also a computer/tv.

Experts...whats the best easist system.
PM me Sir!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Was just dealing with this last night at the new house. There is literally a WiFi dead spot midway across where I put my desk in my new office. Work laptop on one side of the desk gets 300+MB down and 30+MB up (not great but good enough for work) Personal machine 3 feet away gets 2 MB down and 0 up 😂.

Outside the office is 600+ MB up and down.

This is off the CenturyLink combo router/modem deal.

The traffic tracking on some of the mesh systems from the tech giants is concerning for me.

Was also looking at ubiquiti. @gqchris got a parts list?

Last edited:

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Eero pro here. 2000 sq ft house. 9000 sq ft property. Full service / fast internet all the way to the end of my street lol.

btaco35

Reaction score
Was just dealing with this last night at the new house. There is literally a WiFi dead spot midway across where I put my desk in my new office. Work laptop on one side of the desk gets 300+MB down and 30+MB up (not great but good enough for work) Personal machine 3 feet away gets 2 MB down and 0 up 😂.

The traffic tracking on some of the mesh systems from the tech giants is concerning for me.

Worth every penny.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I sell/install Ubiquiti gear for my clients. It is a true mesh business grade network. I can provision them and they can work off my Controller and ship em your way and you install. Let me know

We upgraded all 3 buildings at my last Havasu job to that. It's rock solid.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

I’m assuming with this brand, my router has to be replaced as well?

How are they regarding privacy / security?

Thanks.

Riverhound

Reaction score
Orbi setup here... Big improvement in connectivity consistency and range. I'm on a 3/4 ac lot and have strong service to all 4 corners.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
I also agree with orbi, they have an outdoor rated satellite to add into the system. This will give you huge range outside and to a shop

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Are mesh systems 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or dual?

gqchris

Reaction score
I’m assuming with this brand, my router has to be replaced as well?

How are they regarding privacy / security?

Thanks.
You dont have to replace router. Just disable the wifi on it and use the Unifi AP's. They do make a nice router though for about $250 if you decide to do the whole setup. It provides a bunch of insight if you do.

You will need a controller.Mines in the cloud and I can host, but you can have one at home also by using a Cloud Key or Dream Machine for your own control etc.

Privacy and Security have been good since they have alot of business footprints. They did have a security snafu last year and I feel handled it quickly. Cant say that for TP link etc. Every company suffers a breach at some point, its how they handle is important in my eyes. It was actually an insider extortion job, which is interesting!

caribbean20

Reaction score
We use eero. Works well and they have great customer support. 6,000 sq. ft house and pool in back yard.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

Hammer

Reaction score
Following, I need a mesh system for my house. 3k Sq. Ft. home, property is 15k I need better coverage in the backyard.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score

You're in St, George arn't you? Infowest has ubiquiti in service in many areas but they are phasing it out soon with some ne fangeled mesh type system that will cover alot of southern Utah

Hammer

Reaction score
Bump..... Still on the house to do list. Anything new out there?

sintax

Reaction score
You dont have to replace router. Just disable the wifi on it and use the Unifi AP's. They do make a nice router though for about $250 if you decide to do the whole setup. It provides a bunch of insight if you do.

You will need a controller.Mines in the cloud and I can host, but you can have one at home also by using a Cloud Key or Dream Machine for your own control etc.

Privacy and Security have been good since they have alot of business footprints. They did have a security snafu last year and I feel handled it quickly. Cant say that for TP link etc. Every company suffers a breach at some point, its how they handle is important in my eyes. It was actually an insider extortion job, which is interesting!

I've been a big Ubiquiti fan for quite a few years, and have ran their gear since they released their first EdgeRouter.

I have issues recommending their hardware to people due to the level of setup needed to get things really running well to actually see some of the benefits of their gear. On the upside, for my close friends, I just go in there and setup Unifi gear, and I manage it all remotely, so thats easy for them.

I ran a few HD wall mounts, and 1 HD ceiling mount upstairs in the hallway, all tied back to an EdgeSwitch, its all been rock solid

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Wife and I both work from home.

I went from google mesh (which was easy to setup but buggy), to TP link (easy to setup, not buggy).

Honestly I don’t think there’s much difference in the mesh offerings from reputable brands. Make sure you get the latest tech ( 802.11ax or simply AX is the latest I believe).

Biggest suggestion would be to use an Ethernet backhaul - each mesh unit has a dedicated hard line - as it works MUCH better than having a wireless backhaul.

From https://www.windowscentral.com/ethernet-backhaul-or-wireless-which-mesh:

Ethernet backhaul or wireless: Which should you choose for your mesh router?

Best answer: If you can neatly fit Ethernet cables around your home at your required length, you absolutely should Ethernet backhaul to take advantage of your maximum network speeds. Ethernet cables usually work reliably up to around 300 feet and help avoid common Wi-Fi woes like channel congestion.
Why use Ethernet backhaul in a mesh system?

Using mesh Wi-Fi kits is a fantastic way to deliver a reliable wireless signal around your home, often supporting up to as many as 10 nodes effortlessly transporting data traffic from your modem and router. You can move from one node to another without switching Wi-Fi networks or needing separate passwords, so the benefits for larger homes are fantastic.

One downside to mesh Wi-Fi is that data travels node to node from the router and then back again using the wireless backhaul, meaning each packet of data must make multiple stops in each direction of its journey of your mesh network. Using an Ethernet backhaul means that outgoing traffic can travel directly back to the router via a high-speed LAN port, faster and more reliably than any current wireless technology could match.

Since Ethernet cables can reach lengths around 300 feet before demonstrating any signs of degradation, connecting the farthest-reaching mesh node to a LAN port means you won't have to sacrifice internet speed for convenience in hard-to-reach places. If you can reliably fit an Ethernet cable long enough, you'll enjoy the best possible network performance by connecting your mesh Wi-Fi system with Ethernet backhaul.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Heads up with the old Google WiFi Mesh. You can't turn off the 5 ghz. If you have old wifi enabled devices that won't run on 5 ghz it gets tricky having to set them up on 2.4 ghz. My work around is to use the hotspot on my phone that mirrors my SSID and password for my home network. Turn off the Google wifi. Setup the device using my phones network. Turn off the phone and turn back on the Google WiFi.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I've been a big Ubiquiti fan for quite a few years, and have ran their gear since they released their first EdgeRouter.

I have issues recommending their hardware to people due to the level of setup needed to get things really running well to actually see some of the benefits of their gear. On the upside, for my close friends, I just go in there and setup Unifi gear, and I manage it all remotely, so thats easy for them.

I ran a few HD wall mounts, and 1 HD ceiling mount upstairs in the hallway, all tied back to an EdgeSwitch, its all been rock solid
I helped update the company I last worked for in Havasu to Ubiquiti. It is definitely a good system but not exactly plug and play.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’m going to need something for the new office.

I’m far from tech savy. What does it take to
Install this stuff?

My router is in my den/kitchen which is a good 60’ and 4 walls away from The new building.

Is this equipment blue tooth or hard wired?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Install this stuff?

My router is in my den/kitchen which is a good 60’ and 4 walls away from The new building.

The main router is wired to your modem. The satellite hubs can be up to 30 feet away from the main router. As mentioned above, it's better to have all the satellite hubs wired to the main router tho. I have a switch that my main Google router plugs into. My three other satellite hubs are wired to the switch. If you do not have the ability to wire your hubs together you could get away with putting the one satellite hub within 30 ft of the main router and possibly get the coverage you need.

gqchris

Reaction score

Thats what I do for my clients also. Exact same thing. I been chatting with Hammer and ill program his gear and get him setup on my Unifi Host in the cloud!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Hahahaha. Asus ac5300 router. I get good signal a block away. Now I do scan the frequencies and pick unused or minimal usage frequencies. Have not needed a mesh network as it covers my whole yard and upto a block away with ease.

relaxalot

Reaction score
If you use Sonos check to see if your mesh is compatible

pronstar

Reaction score

Install this stuff?

Mesh is super easy to setup 👍

pronstar

Reaction score
Can you help with that? Lol. I want to throw my Orbi in the trash! I could never find out how to make it work with my Sonos
Sonos is a competitor, so I don’t have any insight into this 😕

relaxalot

Reaction score
Sonos is a competitor, so I don’t have any insight into this 😕
I tried a couple of mesh systems.. I would recommend calling Sonos and asking them. I ended up getting a new router from suddenstink and it worked for my whole house