WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wife Boating Question

wolfie

Reaction score
What's easier, teaching them to back up the trailer or putting the boat on the trailer???
Usually my son backs the trailer. He's done this since he was 16 and does really well but he's 19 now, in college and chasing girls so I know he isn't always going to be around. The last time my wife tried to back the trailer she looked like she was running a slalom in reverse so I was thinking of teaching her to put the boat on the trailer instead. How do you guys handle this?

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
I would say backing up the trailer. Give her the ol' "Grab the bottom of the wheel.......pull the wheel up to the left if you want the boat to go left......Pull the wheel up to the right if you want it to go right" Walk away and let her figure it out.:thumbsup

soupersonic

Reaction score
It was easier to teach the wife to put the boat on the trailer for me..Plus all she has to do is get it close and you can handle it from there.Unless it windy as fock then your screwed :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With a little bit of patience and some practice she should be able to do either. Stacy isn't a pro or anything but she can do either competantly.

RD

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have no idea...with my Ex, I just handled all the boat stuff myself and to this day launch and retrieve the boat by myself out of habbit.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I threw in the towel a few years back. Some chicks got it, others not so much. I think she played me on the driving the boat deal, figured if she could drive I would just drink beer and point.

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Definitely backing the trailer. I think the key is to just have them go really slow and try not to get intimidated by the other boaters. At first my GF would put about 100 miles on my truck in reverse traversing the ramp and scaring the crap out of everyone, it was hilarious, but now she has no problem. Putting the boat on the trailer can get hairy at times with the wind and currents to deal with.

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
Def teach her to back up the trailer. It's much easier, and in a lot of cases the boat is worth more than the truck.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
backing the trailer.

I got lucky my wife has been around boats her whole life and her dad taught all their kids how to tow, backing and get the boat on and off the trailer.:thumbsup

DirtyWhiteBoy

WILL WORK FOR FUEL
Reaction score
My wife backs the trailer, and she's good at it. She is afraid of driving the boat in tight spaces......might be the 800 hp:p

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
She unloads and loads the boat. I gave up on teaching her to back up a trailer. I've got my own ramp at my river house and she still can't back it. :D :D No way would I put her on a public ramp. :D :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife backs the trailer.
I'm a good, patient teacher for backing trailers.

Tandem axel trailers are best for backing. The single axels are asking too much for the novice without practice.

Wakeboard boats are lousy at slow docking speeds, and they usually don't back up very well, so her backing the trailer is the best for us.

Not unusual for other girls to ask her to back their trailer in too.

Or in storms, I make it to the launch ramp and help others caught in a pickle.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We'd sponsor trophys and prizes & T shirts if their were ever a RDP's chix trailer backing event.

It would be a fun dealio.
Not so much a contest, but a fun, just do your best, get a prize kinda event.

When I was dating, chix with horses were good trailer backers.
Must have been from tandem axel horse trailer experiences.
Ali picked right up on backing in the boat.

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
With my current g/f, I'd have her back the trailer in, seeing as how she has little to no boat experience, and an easy 10,000 miles plus experience pulling a 25' four horse gooseneck and other trailers. :thumbsup But usually, I have the girls pull the truck up out of the water. Loading, I usually do all of the work. Or I will have whoever is best at driving the boat do that. They just have to get it close and I can take over from there. :thumbsup

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Riverdaves place Chix trailer backing awards would be named after, and awarded by their namesakes:

The RD Trophy, a bronze, crushed traffic cone for: "You tried girl".

The River Bound/Bildo Award for: "Best Milf with backing style"

The Phebus trophy aka "The angry aunt from Red China is riding shot gun Award" for; "Grouchiest, crankiest, backer"

The Boat Cop civilian award with oakleaf clusters: "Best backing without a T/A for a backer that has T&A."

Last edited:

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
Riverdaves place Chix trailer backing awards would be named after, and awarded by their namesakes:

The RD Trophy, a bronze, crushed traffic cone for: "You tried girl".

The River Bound/Bildo Award for: "Best Milf with backing style"

The Phebus trophy aka "The angry aunt from Red China is riding shot gun Award" for; "Grouchiest, crankiest, fuzziest, backer"

The Boat Cop civilian award with oakleaf clusters: "Best backing without a T/A for a backer that has T&A."

LMAO!! I want this one! :D

dribble

Reaction score
My wife puts the boat on the trailer (in all conditions) better than I do.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
I'm married to a dingy blonde, she thinks R is for race and D is for drag, I'll stick to letting the boys launch & retrieve :D After all these years, ask my wife what kind of boat we have and she'd say a black & white one :smackhead

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Depends on the boat, the water, and the weather.

My wife does the trailer :D

That's why I do the trailer. Wind or storm doesn't matter. It just takes some practice. We have a bit of property, so I practiced here, but you could take her to an empty parking lot also. Have her try to put it in a parkig spot once she can back it down the row. I don't do it real well, but I can do it. Sometimes it takes me more than one run and that's okay. Makes me feel pretty damm good, though, when I can do it and we load up and leave while others are still trying to figure out how to use the winch. :cool:

Plus, we had a jet with no neutral, so it was really hard to maneuver at slow speed.

After she feels comfortable in the parking lot, choose times at the launch when there are people, but not many, like before 7am or after 8pm.

Ross, if there was a trailer backing contest, Mrs. Flying V would win.

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I put the boat on the trailer while hubby goes to get the truck and back down the trailer. We have a (almost) full-time boat bitch so usually I get to just sit there, but when it is just my husband and I we definitely have it down like clockwork. I've got a couple of harry stories about putting the boat on the trailer in a monsoon and a wind storm, both of which I did it in the first try!!:champagne:

lebel409

Reaction score
My wife will probably want to learn both.

She's showed backing interest before with only minor damage to the truck...she was backing a rack of canoes and jacknifed it...

Mine'll be a challenge either way, single axle trailer and a flatbottom without reverse...

I figure I'll be driving in the AM and she'll drive after beer thirty...so she'll have to be OK with both if I'm outta shape.

Reaction score
She has just started putting the boat on the trailer. I back it down and pull it off. She will drive the truck up and park. Its eaiser that way. To many time i see guys trying to teach there wives while the ramp is busy as fock. Always ends up in them yelling at them and doing it themselves any how.

Good thing is she likes to drive now so if im in bad shape she can drive us back:D

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
The first time the wife and I tried her in the truck, she parked my empty boat trailer on top of somebody elses empty boat trailer.
She walked down to the courtesy dock, handed me the truck keys and said "teach me to drive the boat" We practiced during the day, and at the end of the day, she was ready to head back to Windsor to load the boat.
Trailer in the water, ready to help, I tried to give her a little "encouragement"
Got a talk to the hand, so I stepped back, and she drove it right on. I clipped the bow eye to the trailer, and pulled out of the water, boat on the trailer perfectly.
She's been doing it ever since, and does it better than I do, regardless of water/weather conditions.
Now the great part (for me) my daughter recently asked (and I taught her) how to back the trailer into the water!

I think I need to start hiding all my keys!

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I would say backing the trailer, also helps that's what my wife would prefer. My thoughts have always been along these lines:

Truck $25,000
Trailer $7,000

BOAT $50,000

My boat isn't worth that much, but I see a lot of nice ass boats getting wrenched sideways over the bunks while the guy is just watching helplessly...
________
Rhode Island Dispensary

Last edited:

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I back-up the trailer and the wife helps me walk the boat onto the trailer. She also loads the boat up before we go on trips. She is better at organizing than me.

The wife does her share of driving the truck on our trips. She drives straight very well but hasnt got the hang of backing up. One of these days will teach her how to do it and am sure she will do fine.

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I would say backing the trailer, also helps that's what my wife would prefer. My thoughts have always been along these lines:

Truck $25,000
Trailer $7,000

BOAT $50,000

My boat isn't worth that much, but I see a lot of nice ass boats getting wrenched sideways over the bunks while the guy is just watching helplessly...

I've see a lot of guys with boats worth more than $50,000 wrenching their boats sideways over their trailers hopelessly.:D

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I started off putting the boat on the trailer. I still feel more comfortable doing that. Dave had me backup down the street in the keys with the trailer a few times and that definitely helped. Then I just towed the empty trailer around with me once in a while. Once I got used to driving with it something finally clicked. I feel confident backing up the trailer, however if there were big crowds I'd probably opt for driving the boat.

And I totally agree with My Man's Sportin Wood - Mrs. Flyin Vee is the alltime best trailer backer upper! The neighbors in the keys are still talking about how fast and accurately she backed the F29 down the street.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I've see a lot of guys with boats worth more than $50,000 wrenching their boats sideways over their trailers hopelessly.:D
That is certainly a good point! And not to say that a lot of chicks aren't better drivers than their male counterparts :). (I don't even ask my friends to back the trailer in as my wife is usually better...)

I just know I would rather be the one driving the more expensive toy!
________
NEVADA DISPENSARY

Last edited:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
You guys have it all wrong. I tought my wife to back the trailer because its a long ass walk up the hill to get the truck. I would rather sit in the boat and drink a beer. My wife is GREAT with the trailer, I have seen her pull guys out their trucks on the ramp and back it down for them. Truthfully I would rather have my wife back my trailer than just about anyone, she knows the drill well. Plus my boat is big for a single engine and can be tough in the wind and the boat is worth about 4 times as much as the truck.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
I always did both, and one day when I was getting ready to back down the ramp my wife decided that she needed to do one or the other. She tried trailering the boat first, but because our first boat was a jet boat, she didn't feel very comfortable doing it, so she took over the backing down task. She wasn't very good at it at first, and her Irish temper got in the way a few times, but after that first weekend she got proficient at it.

On a side note, someone could dig up the thread about funniest trailer backing incidents and I have posted one there.

Kleptow

Reaction score
The best way to teach a woman something is to have another woman show them, game on.

My wife would give lessons to the other lady's, and give the men that couldn't back down big time shit.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
The best way to teach a woman something is to have another woman show them, game on.

My wife would give lessons to the other lady's, and give the men that couldn't back down big time shit.

That is so true! My first lesson was from a girlfriend of mine. I forgot about that!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
As WW said earlier...some have it and some don't. The last few didn't have it...at all so like RB said I just did it all myslef and it becasme very easy for me. The current can the the trailer pretty damn good. The first time she backed in the trailer was for the 27 Hallett...after she pulled it out and got to the house I said I'll take it from here to back it in the garage (now the garage has a poontoon on one side and the Schiada on the other...you can see where I am going with this). She says to me no I can do it by myself...I say ok lets see what you got...took her 3 tries but she got it in. now its her job and I just take care of the boat end.

Andy01

Reaction score
i would try both twice and see which she graps the best.

Some women can handle a truck and some can handle a boat. I don't care if you have a 40' Skater worth 700K. Don't let your balls get in the way and say "she ain't driven my boat". It's a boat. If she runs the boat better then a 47 foot trailer in a parking lot hand her the keys to the boat.
I think you should take the time to try it both ways, to see which works best for her.

I also think if you know someone that is really good at driving a boat have them teach the wife. Then it takes the "fight" out of it.
I show my customers wifes how to trailer a boat if they want. Everytime they seem to do fine.

I don't think it is end of the world if once in a while you stil have to do both. A super windy day, strong current or crowded area. You may have to use your experience to handle it that day.
Andy

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!! My wife can do both but shes a one shot with the boat. Was wayy easier to teach her to maneuver the boat.
________
Dr-Z400Sm

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We'd sponsor trophys and prizes & T shirts if their were ever a RDP's chix trailer backing event.

It would be a fun dealio.
Not so much a contest, but a fun, just do your best, get a prize kinda event.

When I was dating, chix with horses were good trailer backers.
Must have been from tandem axel horse trailer experiences.
Ali picked right up on backing in the boat.

I might hold ya too that TPC.. LOL :D

As WW said earlier...some have it and some don't. The last few didn't have it...at all so like RB said I just did it all myslef and it becasme very easy for me. The current can the the trailer pretty damn good. The first time she backed in the trailer was for the 27 Hallett...after she pulled it out and got to the house I said I'll take it from here to back it in the garage (now the garage has a poontoon on one side and the Schiada on the other...you can see where I am going with this). She says to me no I can do it by myself...I say ok lets see what you got...took her 3 tries but she got it in. now its her job and I just take care of the boat end.

I don't think that's true with the some girls have it and some don't.. I just don't think that the patience was shown to teach them.. that and most chix have a REAL HARD TIME learning from their significant others..

I tried to teach Stacy to drive a boat.. That didn't end up so well, so I just sent Danny (BB572) with her and told them don't come back until she can whip it around in the keys etc.. 1/2 hour later they came back.

RD

BajaMike

Reaction score
I would say backing up the trailer. Give her the ol' "Grab the bottom of the wheel.......pull the wheel up to the left if you want the boat to go left......Pull the wheel up to the right if you want it to go right" Walk away and let her figure it out.:thumbsup

I agree....take her to a big empty parking lot some Sunday and let her practice backing the trailer when there is no presure (and not a bunch of impatient folks watching).

:party2:

Faceaz

Reaction score
I back up the trailer, then hop in the boat. Wife pulls the trailer out, that way she's only driving foward.

When I get out of the car (set to park & parking brake), she gets her foot on the brake before I let go of it.

wolfie

Reaction score
Thanks...Some great input.

I have to apologize for injecting boating content on RDP.:D

wolfie

Reaction score
I back up the trailer, then hop in the boat. Wife pulls the trailer out, that way she's only driving foward.

When I get out of the car (set to park & parking brake), she gets her foot on the brake before I let go of it.

This is about how we launch. Putting the boat back on the trailer i've had to back the truck down the ramp, run back to the boat and then she backs the truck down just a little bit. I just don't like to inconvenience others by having to run back to the boat.
I think I'll have to take her to the parking lot where i work to teach her to back. Might just teach her to handle the boat as well just in case.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I might hold ya too that TPC.. LOL :D

I don't think that's true with the some girls have it and some don't.. I just don't think that the patience was shown to teach them.. that and most chix have a REAL HARD TIME learning from their significant others..

I tried to teach Stacy to drive a boat.. That didn't end up so well, so I just sent Danny (BB572) with her and told them don't come back until she can whip it around in the keys etc.. 1/2 hour later they came back.

RD

Dave it is true...the last two I dated didn't have a clue...I mean I actually think they were scared to drive a truck then add teh tralier and backing it up...they falt out didn't even want to try. I am a pretty patient guy and have taught women to back them up. To me it's kind of like mechanical aptitude...either you have it or you don't, it can't be taught...but I have been wrong before.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Lynch you didn't beat them enough.. If they are more scared of you then the truck / trailer.. Then it won't be a problem. ;)

RD

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Lynch you didn't beat them enough.. If they are more scared of you then the truck / trailer.. Then it won't be a problem. ;)

RD

Touche Dave...luckily I the current one could already do it...not sure I would want to try and lay a beat down on her...you know what I'm saying :box: :skull :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Touche Dave...luckily I the current one could already do it...not sure I would want to try and lay a beat down on her...you know what I'm saying :box: :skull :D

Lynch, I think the best thing for you would be too lay the beat down on her and let her know who's in charge once n for all.. LOL You don't have to smack her around or anything.. Just pin her and choke her just enough to put her in "survival mode" then she'll submit..

otherwise she'll be walkin on you for the rest of your days brotha man.. :D

RD

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Lynch, I think the best thing for you would be too lay the beat down on her and let her know who's in charge once n for all.. LOL You don't have to smack her around or anything.. Just pin her and choke her just enough to put her in "survival mode" then she'll submit..

otherwise she'll be walkin on you for the rest of your days brotha man.. :D

RD

Please dont do it this weekend, I want to watch this shit go down. If you can wait until following weekend at the Catalina race that would be super. Lynch is so gonna get his ass handed to him.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Please dont do it this weekend, I want to watch this shit go down. If you can wait until following weekend at the Catalina race that would be super. Lynch is so gonna get his ass handed to him.

Probably.. LOL But it'll be fun as hell to watch / bet on. :D

RD

roln 20s

Reaction score
Great question -- I taught Julee to back down the truck and trailer and I'll take care of the boat. I am very patient and really just walked beside her the first couple times saying very little, letting her figure it out. If she was getting really sideways, I would say "hey baby, stop for a second" and then explain what she needs to do to correct it. I convinced her that she does NOT have to always start over, just correct and continue.

Another thing I said to her: You focus on getting the trailer in the water and nothing that anyone else has to say. Everyone is 'not' watching you. If anyone, regardless of size, gives you issues about what you are doing, say nothing and I will take care of it when we get on the trailer and pull out. I am very easy going but will not tolerate that action towards her. I will ALWAYS defend her for doing what I ask. This did happen once at the havasu marina. The guy told her to "hurry up" and "go in this lane." She said no, she wasn't comfortable in that lane and would wait. I could see his gestures and motions and knew she was ready to punch him. When we left, I had a conversation with the guy and let him know that we paid our $15 and its our right to launch, at our speed, our lane and if he had a problem with it to give me back my $15. He actually appologized and said he was in the wrong. He waves to us and tells her good job anytime we are there.

She has been doing it for about a year now off and on. Since fourspeednup has his own boat now :) Julee has a full time job to back the boat in. I knew about 3 months ago she could put the trailer anywhere - we were at Bartlett Lake in phx and she over turned left, over turned right, then went staight between two boats in a tight spot all with some speed. Its all clicked and she does great. Last weekend at Pleasant she backed it down faster than ever (not crazy fast), went right by a few people. Perfectly straight too!

Here are the two things she knows and I remind her:
1. If you ever feel uncomfortable, I will gladly do it. If you are getting the trailer and you run into issues, walk back to the dock, I'll tie the boat up and we'll get the trailer together.
2. I always tell her how great she does, instilling more and more confidence.

Like many things in life -those that just yell and assume they know everything, know nothing. It doesn't work at all.

We're a great team and I'm so proud of her.

Roln 20s

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Great question -- I taught Julee to back down the truck and trailer and I'll take care of the boat. I am very patient and really just walked beside her the first couple times saying very little, letting her figure it out. If she was getting really sideways, I would say "hey baby, stop for a second" and then explain what she needs to do to correct it. I convinced her that she does NOT have to always start over, just correct and continue.

Another thing I said to her: You focus on getting the trailer in the water and nothing that anyone else has to say. Everyone is 'not' watching you. If anyone, regardless of size, gives you issues about what you are doing, say nothing and I will take care of it when we get on the trailer and pull out. I am very easy going but will not tolerate that action towards her. I will ALWAYS defend her for doing what I ask. This did happen once at the havasu marina. The guy told her to "hurry up" and "go in this lane." She said no, she wasn't comfortable in that lane and would wait. I could see his gestures and motions and knew she was ready to punch him. When we left, I had a conversation with the guy and let him know that we paid our $15 and its our right to launch, at our speed, our lane and if he had a problem with it to give me back my $15. He actually appologized and said he was in the wrong. He waves to us and tells her good job anytime we are there.

She has been doing it for about a year now off and on. Since fourspeednup has his own boat now :) Julee has a full time job to back the boat in. I knew about 3 months ago she could put the trailer anywhere - we were at Bartlett Lake in phx and she over turned left, over turned right, then went staight between two boats in a tight spot all with some speed. Its all clicked and she does great. Last weekend at Pleasant she backed it down faster than ever (not crazy fast), went right by a few people. Perfectly straight too!

Here are the two things she knows and I remind her:
1. If you ever feel uncomfortable, I will gladly do it. If you are getting the trailer and you run into issues, walk back to the dock, I'll tie the boat up and we'll get the trailer together.
2. I always tell her how great she does, instilling more and more confidence.

Like many things in life -those that just yell and assume they know everything, know nothing. It doesn't work at all.

We're a great team and I'm so proud of her.

Roln 20s

Well said great advise. :thumbsup

I tell Alice: "This isn't the time to be proud or bashful of your skills".