WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wife - Having Knee Replacement Surgery

Wavemaker

Reaction score
Wednesday morning, at 5:30 am my wife is having knee replacement surgery on her left knee. First one in the operating schedule. She had her right knee done two years ago. I am so hopeful she can recover back to be able to the fun things like boating, and some sports activities we have shared for most of our lives together. She told me yesterday she is likely done with boating, and "I'm not crawling on the deck of the Schiada anymore now." My son and grandson (4 years old) just asked me last weekend about going boating and water-skiing sometime this summer. I hopeful my wife will put in the same recovery, physical therapy efforts as she did a couple of years ago. She was amazing that go around. It won't be the same boating and skiing without her in the boat. She always drove when I skied. She also backed the trailer in when we were pulling out off the lake. She's off work for three months and I'm retired. Hoping all goes well for her tomorrow.

RCDave

Reaction score
I bet when the constant pain is gone, she will have renewed energy for all kinds of stuff. I know what it's like to be hobbled by a bad knee

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
She'll probably bounce back better than before :thumbsup

Living with constant pain is really hard on you physically and emotionally, don't do anything drastic till she recovers :D

Positive thoughts your way !

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I got 2 bad knees but I'm still hopeful and holding out for the StarTrek version of surgery.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Positive thoughts and prayers from my family to yours, hope it all goes well. :)

Wavemaker

Reaction score
I bet when the constant pain is gone, she will have renewed energy for all kinds of stuff. I know what it's like to be hobbled by a bad knee

Thanks, I am hopeful for her full recovery. She has put up with increasing pain and reduced mobility for about two years. I believe she will feel much better after the surgery and after the pain gone. She has so much she wants to do still, as traveling after she gets around to retirement. I helped her with her physical therapy after the other knee replacement and she recovered fairly quickly then. Same surgery team this time around.

Wavemaker

Reaction score
She'll probably bounce back better than before :thumbsup

Living with constant pain is really hard on you physically and emotionally, don't do anything drastic till she recovers :D

Positive thoughts your way !

Thanks, I know she will give PT her best. She is strong physically and mentally. We are very hopeful the pain will be finally gone once she is fully recovered. She is normally very active and looks forward to regaining her normal activity level she hasn't enjoyed for the last two years.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
The climbing over onto the deck thing is why I now have a deck boat. My wife got tired of doing it so we got a different boat all is good now.

Wavemaker

Reaction score
Positive thoughts and prayers from my family to yours, hope it all goes well. :)

We are both very happy to have the same surgical team this time around too. She is not so nervous so far as compared to the first knee replacement. I keeps telling friends and her coworkers that being serious about the physical therapy exercises afterward to regain the normal range of movement is the key to her full recovery.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You mean laser surgery? LOL

He means the sickbay bed, when the scanner moves over your entire body and fixes anything wrong via unknown process where you were magically healed via microbes or microbots...it is unclear how they achieved it :D

Wavemaker

Reaction score

Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers, we praying for a full recovery and thinking she will work hard at the PT exercise just as she did last time.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Good luck, I'm sure she'll be very happy after a short rehab.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
He means the sickbay bed, when the scanner moves over your entire body and fixes anything wrong via unknown process where you were magically healed via microbes or microbots...it is unclear how they achieved it :D
Lol, yup.
Wave a wand over my knees as it makes a weepy-weepy noise and it's all fixed.[emoji4]

Wavemaker

Reaction score

We sure wish that method was available to use today. As for my daughter- in-law (a surgeon of podiatry and sports injuries), she would have to change fields.

Wavemaker

Reaction score
The climbing over onto the deck thing is why I now have a deck boat. My wife got tired of doing it so we got a different boat all is good now.

My wife's uncle had a 28' deckboat and a 34 foot Hallett kept in slips at Lake Mead. I'd tow my boat to Mead for the boating season holiday weekends. That deckboat was fun but just not fast enough to those wanting to ski. That deckboat was fun to cruise on during evenings and until after dark. Lots of fun times there until her uncle passed away three years ago. He used to co-own and sponsor some drags boats many years back. Rudy Ramos drove most of them and we used to see him up at Lake Arrowhead sometimes too. The uncle had a huge house on the waterfront in Hamiltaire back then. My son would love to take over my Schiada but his house is three houses off the beach in Santa Cruz. Too much salt air and my boat has never been in salt water.

Wavemaker

Reaction score

Thanks. She's already telling me she's going to work hard with all of the exercises she has to do for PT. A plus is that she can also to exercises in our pool. She loved that after the last go around and the Physical Therapist was surprised how quickly she reached 130 degree knee bends. He told her to keep on exercising both of her knees in and out of the pool. She has done the exercises everyday, so I believe she will continue to work hard to achieve a full range of movement this time too.

Wavemaker

Reaction score

Thanks, she's looking forward to easier knee movement and relief of the pain for the last couple of years. She really wants to get back to traveling like we used to do.

RCDave

Reaction score

What is needed is a combination of "Bones" and "House"

Wavemaker

Reaction score
Good luck tomorrow

Thank you. Not so nervous This time as compared to the last time. The surgery team is excellent and the same as her last knee replacement. She is looking forward to recover and ending the pain she's put up with for so long.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So many good outcomes from these knee replacements, hopefully it's another good one for her.

If anyone is contemplating this, be forewarned: you never, ever want to watch this procedure get done. It's brutal.

But as mentioned, the outcomes are usually great :thumbup:

TBulger

Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks into mine now, getting around well, but leg still not straight and I don't have the drive I once had. Started PT this week and seems to be helping, so we'll see. Still have to do the other one, not going to hurry, I'll tell you. lol Best of luck to the wife.

X Hoser

Reaction score
So many good outcomes from these knee replacements, hopefully it's another good one for her.

If anyone is contemplating this, be forewarned: you never, ever want to watch this procedure get done. It's brutal.

But as mentioned, the outcomes are usually great :thumbup:

Funny you mention this. I had my knee replaced in 2008 with a spinal block. I watched the surgery as I am totally amazed with surgeries and the human body. The Doctors thought I was nuts but went along with it. BRUTAL:eek. Black and Decker, hammers, fitting "parts", alignment and not much different than a construction project. Very interesting.

Your wife has been through it once already so she knows the importance of the rehab and pushing your way through it. My thoughts and prayers will be with her for a successful surgery and fast recovery. I was back to work in 4 weeks!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Funny you mention this. I had my knee replaced in 2008 with a spinal block. I watched the surgery as I am totally amazed with surgeries and the human body. The Doctors thought I was nuts but went along with it. BRUTAL:eek. Black and Decker, hammers, fitting "parts", alignment and not much different than a construction project. Very interesting.

You watched the surgery on yourself? Holy shit I can't imagine watching that.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Wednesday morning, at 5:30 am my wife is having knee replacement surgery on her left knee. First one in the operating schedule. She had her right knee done two years ago. I am so hopeful she can recover back to be able to the fun things like boating, and some sports activities we have shared for most of our lives together. She told me yesterday she is likely done with boating, and "I'm not crawling on the deck of the Schiada anymore now." My son and grandson (4 years old) just asked me last weekend about going boating and water-skiing sometime this summer. I hopeful my wife will put in the same recovery, physical therapy efforts as she did a couple of years ago. She was amazing that go around. It won't be the same boating and skiing without her in the boat. She always drove when I skied. She also backed the trailer in when we were pulling out off the lake. She's off work for three months and I'm retired. Hoping all goes well for her tomorrow.

Time to sell the Schiada and buy a Howard sportdeck? Maybe a pontoon? Stay positive and she will also... prayers to her and your family..

X Hoser

Reaction score
You watched the surgery on yourself? Holy shit I can't imagine watching that.

Yep. :yikes The Doctors, Nurses, Anathesiologist (sp?) all thought I was crazy. When the real sawing, fitting the parts and pounding them on began they put a small screen up but I still had a perfect view in the chrome ring around the light over me. Extremely interesting to me.

Not to thread jack, hopefully surgery is going great.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Maybe That Guy will see this and chime in. :thumbsup :)

Wavemaker

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you responding to my original posting regarding my wife's knee replacement surgery. The surgery went very well, as expected. She told me she woke up during the operation, and could see the surgery team members until they saw she was awakening and immediately they placed a green fabric fence type device to block her view while increasing the meds to knock her out again. Other than that, just a normal process. The surgeon gave her her release to go home late this afternoon. She is happy at home, and wants to get on with physical therapy exercises to increase the knee movement and range of the knee bend angle. What a change in the protocols of post knee surgery recovery. She is very happy to back home, and is enthusiastic about exercising to get her mobility back. I am having to rein her in a bit not to over do things too soon. I am amazed at how well she is doing so soon.
Thanks again to you all for the good wishes, prayer offered up for her recovery. Happy Forth of July weekend. Be safe, and have fun with your family and friends.

rrrr

Reaction score
It's great to hear everything went well. I always tell people not to judge their surgical outcome on me. Over 99% of TKR surgeries turn out great, and the possibilities of a double failure like I have experienced are statistically remote.

I know she is aware of the importance of PT, and I bet she is ready to jump right in. I'm pulling for her, let her know I am in her corner and anticipating a fantastic success.

:thumbsup

Wavemaker

Reaction score
It's great to hear everything went well. I always tell people not to judge their surgical outcome on me. Over 99% of TKR surgeries turn out great, and the possibilities of a double failure like I have experienced are statistically remote.

I know she is aware of the importance of PT, and I bet she is ready to jump right in. I'm pulling for her, let her know I am in her corner and anticipating a fantastic success.

:thumbsup

Thank you and you are so correct regarding her awareness of the importance of PT. The PT department called this morning to set a PT appointment in home to start the process. The physical therapist arrived just after 1 pm this afternoon and the physical exercises began. Very similar to the routine and process she went through two years ago. I'm telling you she's motivated to get full range of movement back as soon as she can achieve it. She is determined to get back to her "normal" activities quickly. I am hopeful she will not overdo it and end up hurting herself. To say she has a strong will would be an under estimate of her.