WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wifi Bridge Question

JDKRXW

Reaction score
With the run of computer hardware questions and pretty solid answers on RDP lately, I thought I'd add my own.
I'm looking to extend a 50Mbps wifi signal a little over 200 yards, between 2 lake houses.
There are some big trees in between as shown in the picture .... but I have a little wiggle room under the canopy and I can physically see throught the bottom branches between the 2 houses.
Do you think a directional wifi bridge like this will work?;

Here's a pic of the branches.
Any advice or experience welcome.

Attachments

• Wifi Bridge.jpg
    Wifi Bridge.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 24

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
You're going to have trouble with those trees. You might get the devices to connect but I would not expect the speeds nor the reliability to be good. That said, it's amazon, order some up. I would actually go for a 2.4GHz model, your speed is well within it's limits and you'll have better 'punch'

stingray11

Reaction score
Run a cat 6 ethernet cable to said house and hook up a router. Done, good wifi.

sintax

Reaction score
200yds is over the maximum ethernet run of 100yds. Would have to be fiber with media converters on each end

yea, honestly I was thinking direct burial fiber as well. If you wanted to run it in a conduit for future expansion you could as well.

This is the cheapest, simplest, and fastest.

I'd pass on the media converters, no sense breaking the protocol and losing some of the speed you're getting. I'd just run a normal sfp into a ubiquiti edgeswitch.

With the run of computer hardware questions and pretty solid answers on RDP lately, I thought I'd add my own.
I'm looking to extend a 50Mbps wifi signal a little over 200 yards, between 2 lake houses.
There are some big trees in between as shown in the picture .... but I have a little wiggle room under the canopy and I can physically see throught the bottom branches between the 2 houses.
Do you think a directional wifi bridge like this will work?;

Here's a pic of the branches.
Any advice or experience welcome.

I'll also mention on point to point radio, like you're mentioning, the trees will mess up your signal, unless you can get the tower above the treeline, but i'm sure building a pair backhaul towers is WAY out of scope. IF you do decide to go down the road of point to point radio, PLEASE dont look at junk hardware, i'd only be considering Ubiquiti gear. Everything else is consumer grade junk.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
yea, honestly I was thinking direct burial fiber as well. If you wanted to run it in a conduit for future expansion you could as well.

This is the cheapest, simplest, and fastest.

I'd pass on the media converters, no sense breaking the protocol and losing some of the speed you're getting. I'd just run a normal sfp into a ubiquiti edgeswitch.

I'll also mention on point to point radio, like you're mentioning, the trees will mess up your signal, unless you can get the tower above the treeline, but i'm sure building a pair backhaul towers is WAY out of scope. IF you do decide to go down the road of point to point radio, PLEASE dont look at junk hardware, i'd only be considering Ubiquiti gear. Everything else is consumer grade junk.
Totally agree on the SFP adapters directly into a switch that supports them but for someone looking at Amazon PtP devices that would probably sound like greek. A pre-terminated Fiber cable into a pair of media converters gets them an easy handoff to whatever device they already have ;)

Same with Ubiquiti, I agree and it's all we use for our wireless backhaul but configuration of AirOS can be a little daunting for an end user. A couple of nanostations (minus the trees) would be more than enough.

gqchris

Reaction score
Totally agree on the SFP adapters directly into a switch that supports them but for someone looking at Amazon PtP devices that would probably sound like greek. A pre-terminated Fiber cable into a pair of media converters gets them an easy handoff to whatever device they already have ;)

Same with Ubiquiti, I agree and it's all we use for our wireless backhaul but configuration of AirOS can be a little daunting for an end user. A couple of nanostations (minus the trees) would be more than enough.
I have had some good luck with shooting thru semi- obstructions. They just work so solid. I have had some on a 1/2mile haul in Mission Viejo between buildings, They have been up for 4 years STRAIGHT! Rain or Shine, I dont even want to mess with them as they keep chugging along!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I have had some good luck with shooting thru semi- obstructions. They just work so solid. I have had some on a 1/2mile haul in Mission Viejo between buildings, They have been up for 4 years STRAIGHT! Rain or Shine, I dont even want to mess with them as they keep chugging along!
Agree! 7 years old connecting my shop to my house, can’t think of a time we’ve had to touch them. These are the older M2 model but besides discoloring they’re solid 👍

BA59381D-AD45-4F9F-9454-7C4309D5D131.jpeg
0055665B-8534-4571-A44B-BFD780A45DD3.jpeg