WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wild Horse Pass.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
There are Serious talks ongoing to move the State Fair to there. They also said the "LAKE" could be used for Concerts:confused: Well, there goes Boat Drags. They were walking around the grounds and showing everything and it was so Sad looking at all the Great Memories made there.😫

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
There are Serious talks ongoing to move the State Fair to there. They also said the "LAKE" could be used for Concerts:confused: Well, there goes Boat Drags. They were walking around the grounds and showing everything and it was so Sad looking at all the Great Memories made there.😫

I thought they were going to build retail/condos etc there or did they abandon that plan?

cakemoto

Reaction score
I don’t see it happening there.they can’t have a boat race but 20000 people is cool at a fair🤔 knuckleheads

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My, how things come full circle -- use the "Lake" for concerts. Back in the mid-1980s for about ten years I was part of a family business that leased a large portion of Firebird and built an operated the largest (approximately 32,000 capcity) outdoor concert venue in Arizona at that time -- Compton Terrace. The concert stage was visible from the lake grandstand bleachers. When we shut it down in the latter 1990s, we just left the stage where it was but it was never used agin. It's now gone. It was a pretty profitable business for a while.

2Driver

Reaction score
The old grounds were in the shit bag armpit of Phoenix.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
My, how things come full circle -- use the "Lake" for concerts. Back in the mid-1980s for about ten years I was part of a family business that leased a large portion of Firebird and built an operated the largest (approximately 32,000 capcity) outdoor concert venue in Arizona at that time -- Compton Terrace. The concert stage was visible from the lake grandstand bleachers. When we shut it down in the latter 1990s, we just left the stage where it was but it was never used agin. It's now gone. It was a pretty profitable business for a while.

Compton Terrace! That’s old school. Was charlie Allen a part of that deal?

Last edited:

just_floatin

Reaction score
My wife use to go the first Compton Terrace near the Papago Park. Remember the name Legend ? which was owned by the father of a famous daughter who happen to play in a famous band.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Compton Terrace! That’s old school. Was charlie Allen a part of that deal?

Yes. Charlie was running the racing portion of Firebird and the parking lot/concession. Charlie was always very light on parking lot staff and many times (large concerts) the traffic backed up for several miles all the way out to the freeway. The Highway Patrol would have a fit, come storming into office giving us one last warniing to park the cars or shut it down.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My wife use to go the first Compton Terrace near the Papago Park. Remember the name Legend ? which was owned by the father of a famous daughter who happen to play in a famous band.

Legend City -- don't remind me, that's how this whole mess got started. My father-in-law and his older brother (both retired and bored) got involved in operating the small concert venue at Legend City. When Legend finally folded I thought they had both got the entertainment bug out of their system. I was wrong and off to Firebird they went and Compton Terrace was born. My mother-in-law ran concessions and merchandise sales. My father-in-law handled the physical property (former owner of a paving and grading construction business in SoCal) and Stevie's dad took care of the business end of things. I did the advertising, marketing and promotion.

playdeep

Reaction score
Used to be a nice 3/8 dirt track at Firebird as well...

Boat 405

Reaction score
Oct 22-24
9F316825-5304-4BFA-B64F-909EB70C7164.png

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
SDBA has that race as no points so I figured some of the west coast drag boat groups were going to be having a race there that weekend as well. Sort of an unofficial national championship. Anyway, thinking about making the trip because it sounds like it might be the last race they have there.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

In 2009ish that concert venue was demolished and turned into a motocross track. I was in high school at the time and lived about 15 minutes from there, and tried to go ride a couple times/week. Then, they demoed the MX track to put in the short course track and promised us they would build a new track. That was almost 10 years ago now, still no new track.