WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wildcat XX first ride review

teded

Reaction score
IMG_3978.jpg

Bought a rack from Walmart, made a swivel mount on the back over the spare tire. Very smooth riding machine. Took the full windshield off , that cut way down on the cab dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teded

Reaction score
Adjustments.jpg

Got that mount off the internet, put a 1/2 “ bolt in it. Tubing with a welded nut in it , drilled out the threads so it hinges. Bolted the basket to it.
Backyard fabricating.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Rigid sidewalk sale was super busy, I got there at 620 and the line was already at the end of the building. By the time I got in, they had sold out of the 10" single row but was still able to get deals on the D pods and D XL pods.

IMG_20201114_131137_01.jpg

PlanB

Reaction score
Running Rigid pods on the Jeep. I also have a diffused pair facing rearward. You will be happy with them!
IMG_1860.JPG

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Rigid sidewalk sale was super busy, I got there at 620 and the line was already at the end of the building. By the time I got in, they had sold out of the 10" single row but was still able to get deals on the D pods and D XL pods.

That place is not too far from my house. I drove by on my way to Pioneer around 8am and there was a TON of people standing in line. Looks like I missed out :(

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
That place is not too far from my house. I drove by on my way to Pioneer around 8am and there was a TON of people standing in line. Looks like I missed out :(

Got almost $800 worth of lights for $175 OTD, not too shabby. Was considering also grabbing a 50" single row ($375 for a $1900 light) but decided it's not really necessary for what I do except for looking cool

DLC

Reaction score
That’s a smoker deal!

Have you decided where and how your going to mount them

asa400ex

Reaction score
I don't have any pics of it on my phone etc., but heading out and I'll take a few.
In general, we plugged the large floor holes with removable plugs, as you could see dust swirling around your legs. In our previous RZR with the half windshield, we didn't have dust being vacuumed in from the wide open back, but when we had the full windshield, we had to have a rear window in place or be buried in powder.
To our surprise with the Wildcat, even with the half windshield, we had tons of dust coming in, covering our laps.
When I complained to AZ West, Jack told me about Don and to call him. He made us a velcro-strapped netting for the back, which he claimed would do wonders --- honestly, I had my doubts, but was happily proved very wrong. That netting worked wonders to break up that vacuum effect. Seems after some trial and error on his, he found just the right size mesh and he was right. I'll measure the mesh opening, in case you're going to make your own.
Between plugging the floor holes and the netting, that eliminated easily 90% of our fine powder dust problem. Although keep in mind, unlike many of you, we're ridding up around our ranch, so not with groups --- our dust problem, was our own creation.
The other snap-on items were for heat, insulating pads he stitched up. One for around the steering column, another around the center tunnel and one behind the seats which cut down on both heat and engine noise. Now I'm wondering with winter temps, if we'll be missing that built-in heater.
Without any doubt, the single biggest change came from that rear mesh.

Can you take pics of what the net looks like? Having the same issue with dust.

Thanks

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
That’s a smoker deal!

Have you decided where and how your going to mount them

The smaller duallys are going on C Pillar facing rear with amber covers, the DXLs are going on A-Pillar.

Reactions: DLC

Taboma

Reaction score
Can you take pics of what the net looks like? Having the same issue with dust.

Thanks

I'm in San Diego and the Wildcat's in Havasu, sorry no pics of it. I can tell you, it's heavy duty mesh, very small openings roughly 1/16". I think they're generally referred to as Rear Dust Stoppers. Three sides held on with velcro straps around the roll cage and bottom secured with snaps. Very taught fit. I'll get a picture next time I'm out there. Here's a link I found to a website that sells them, I certainly didn't pay what these guys are asking, but you'll get the idea. The guy who made mine, makes various sewn products for SxS, PM me, I can provide his info if you're interested.

Here's essentially what it looks like and the link to the site that's selling one very similar.

rogue-rear-windscreen-textron-wildcat-xx-11.jpg

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new toy! I went from a rhino into xp4 turbo. I wanted a 2 seat car and my chick wanted a 4 seater. That way we had room just in case we had friends or family that wanted to go. I'm happy with the my decision but everytime I see a XX, i think how bad ass it would be to trick one out and set it up for the desert.

I went to the rigid sale last year and picked up 32" double row spot flood combo and a 10" sr for $400 with all the wiring harnesses. These lights are ridiculously bright! The 10" is cool because you can get a snap on amber lenses for it. I got the lense for SDHQ in gilbert.

We're out in Queen Creek and I'd love to explore that area out by Saguaro. If you plan another trip over there we'd love to tag along and get familiar with that area.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Got the car back from getting the lights installed and having the suspension work done. Nice to get a good amount of ride-height back and excited to see how it performs.

Now with the lights on, I fear I may have made a mistake with the Hyperspot D-XL. I think I underestimated how much of a hyperspot it is, holy shit they throw a long ways, but I feel like I am missing a lot off the sides. Going to call up Rigid and see if I can exchange for a Spot or Flood beam. Expecting them to say pound sand, but worth a shot.

Last edited:

parker guy

Reaction score
If any one is looking, my neighbor has one with 314 miles 2018 for 16,750.00 car looks brand new

Attachments

• E547699E-F1D7-430F-B007-CAB807C0CE91.jpeg
    E547699E-F1D7-430F-B007-CAB807C0CE91.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 106

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the car sitting on it's wheels again. Looks like we are about 2" higher in ride height but obviously can't feel the valving yet until I try it. Thinking about heading out to the Hassayampa river this weekend off of I-10 in Tonapah if anyone wants to join.

Also, called up Rigid about the Hyperspots. Great customer service lady on the phone, they don't do light for light exchanges, but they do rebuild the lights and can convert my hyperspots into a flood for a small fee (she couldn't quote anything official over the phone but ballparked it to $50-75 per light.

1606930901143.png

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the car sitting on it's wheels again. Looks like we are about 2" higher in ride height but obviously can't feel the valving yet until I try it. Thinking about heading out to the Hassayampa river this weekend off of I-10 in Tonapah if anyone wants to join.

Also, called up Rigid about the Hyperspots. Great customer service lady on the phone, they don't do light for light exchanges, but they do rebuild the lights and can convert my hyperspots into a flood for a small fee (she couldn't quote anything official over the phone but ballparked it to $50-75 per light.

View attachment 948000

Do you know if it just the lens that is different? Or more parts inside? That is good that they will change them up for you!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Why not mount the xl together down on the bumper and the duallys on the a pillar to fill in the gaps. You don't need that much light shining backwards.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Why not mount the xl together down on the bumper and the duallys on the a pillar to fill in the gaps. You don't need that much light shining backwards.

Car doesn't have a bumper and I don't feel like dropping the ~$400 for one right now. Thinking about getting the Baja Designs headlight kit that is plug and play, should be plenty. Going to try to lower the XL's on the A-Pillar's though. Rear lights are purely so people can see me through the dust.

DLC

Reaction score
The light pattern might be a driving pattern she was referring to

they typically have a
pencil
drivers -combo flood and distance
flood

maybe keep those and just buy 2 more smaller lights ? To infill the gap

you can also adjust those spots so they have a high low pattern - one light is set higher one is set lower

did you get the hood light also?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The light pattern might be a driving pattern she was referring to

they typically have a
pencil
drivers -combo flood and distance
flood

maybe keep those and just buy 2 more smaller lights ? To infill the gap

you can also adjust those spots so they have a high low pattern - one light is set higher one is set lower

did you get the hood light also?

That's what I thought too, but she explained that the driving light is actually more flood than the flood light. Kind of counterintuitive to what I was thinking too. If I get it converted, I will get it converted to a flood.

Did not get the hood light and, after thinking about it more, I am extremely drawn to the plug and play nature of the Baja Designs headlights. I can't stand wiring and extra switches. Keep it simple.

1606933315033.png

DLC

Reaction score
Get the BD headlights 1st then deal with adjusting the ridgid light pattern

a thought would be to only do one of the ridged lights to a flood so you have distance and also a wide pattern....

I really like the Baja designs head light kits and will end up adding a set to the can am - the stock lights suck! Unless you dropped a quarter in Frt of the car. LoL

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Haven't been very good at keeping this updated. Only had a chance to get one trip in to ocotillo wells on the new suspension before my life got crazy busy with more responsibilities at work (I was a 1 man show on a new team for the first part of the year, there is now 5 of us on that team).

Suspension worked really well in ocotillo, was able to run on the softest setting with just me and my wife on quick rides and still had plush ride but didn't bottom the car every 5 seconds like soft used to. bumped it up to medium when we loaded up coolers and extra stuff and then was able to bump it to firm when we had some heavier people driving the car.

The PCI intercom did break (the volume/on switch stopped clicking to turn on, just would spin) PCI had great customer service and fixed it up and sent it right back.

Taboma

Reaction score
For my wife and I, the stock middle setting has worked just fine, but we're not romping it hard on any whoops etc. Still loving the PRP seats, I wish had those in my Raptor.
That dust, heat and sound mitigation closure and insulation work I had Don B. do in Havasu, was the best money I've spent on any of our several SxS over the years.
Changed the entire experience for the better.

Glad you're still enjoying yours, I hope RG gets opened up eventually in Havasu, if he's going to entertain working on the XX's ?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
For my wife and I, the stock middle setting has worked just fine, but we're not romping it hard on any whoops etc. Still loving the PRP seats, I wish had those in my Raptor.
That dust, heat and sound mitigation closure and insulation work I had Don B. do in Havasu, was the best money I've spent on any of our several SxS over the years.
Changed the entire experience for the better.

Glad you're still enjoying yours, I hope RG gets opened up eventually in Havasu, if he's going to entertain working on the XX's ?
Do you have a photo of the dust thingie?

Taboma

Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the dust thingie?
I don't think so, but I'll see if any of my pics show some of the pieces.
It's not one thing but several that Don made for his own XX, which he experimented on, then started fabing and installing them for others in his Havasu garage.
A couple of examples would be -- the XX's had an opening around the steering column, so at speed, that hot radiator air would blast you. He makes a insulated fabric wrapping that snaps around the steering column and up under the dash, which stops that.
In similar manner the tunnel gets wrapped, again blocking holes and insulating against the heat conducted by the radiator piping, in addition, also blocking the dust. Another insulated matting is installed behind the seats, this seals holes, insulates against the engine heat and reduces a lot of undesirable engine chattering and suspension noise.
We have a half windshield, but dust was still being sucked into the cab from behind. Don make a custom mesh snap-on back opening screen, the fine mesh is easy to see through, but does an amazing job of canceling that vacuum effect.

Don also sews custom boat covers and makes various storage accessories for most makes of SxS --- given his friendship with Robbie and his "Need for more speed", I'm sure Don has a Speed car or three on order. 😁
I've got his card / Info I could forward you in a PM, he said he doesn't mind. I'm assuming he's OK after this COVID BS, haven't spoke with him in a long time.
He can be a tad grumpy, but knows his way around SxS's.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Assault was running a closeout sale on their XX products as they are pulling support for the car, I was able to get the last front bumper at 50% off.

Up next considering the KSH storage box that would go in the bed then I would y strap the tire on top of that. About the same price as robby's basket that would mount on top of the tire and I would have something that I could close and lock.
1631661541191.png

1631661420157.png

Attachments

• 1631661461099.png
    1631661461099.png
    3 MB · Views: 46

teded

Reaction score
Are they discontinuing the Wildcat xx?

Taboma

Reaction score
Assault was running a closeout sale on their XX products as they are pulling support for the car, I was able to get the last front bumper at 50% off.

Up next considering the KSH storage box that would go in the bed then I would y strap the tire on top of that. About the same price as robby's basket that would mount on top of the tire and I would have something that I could close and lock. View attachment 1049395

View attachment 1049393

That box looks interesting and there's times I wish I had room for a spare and our box. The box we've been using is one from our previous Rzr, I just made some mods to fit the XX, but no way a tire will mount on it.
I see two hook points on the front end of the box, where do you secure the straps on the back ?
Are the gas shocks strong enough to lift the lid with the spare on it ?
How much ?

Thanks

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Are they discontinuing the Wildcat xx?

No they actually made some changes for 2022, some of the models get a different clutch system.

Assault industries is discontinuing aftermarket support for the XX

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That box looks interesting and there's times I wish I had room for a spare and our box. The box we've been using is one from our previous Rzr, I just made some mods to fit the XX, but no way a tire will mount on it.
I see two hook points on the front end of the box, where do you secure the straps on the back ?
How much ?

Thanks

Yes the lift struts will work fine with a tire strapped on top of the KSH box. It was designed with that use in mind.

There is a single hook on the back above the latch for the tire. You would need a Y tie down for it. You can get those at customtiedowns.com

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
How much ?

Thanks

KSH told me that current pricing is $475 for raw and $565 for black powder coat

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Updating this (will need to add pictures)

I have an amazing wife that got a PCI Race Air kit as an early christmas present! At the same time, I realized that having a few different people install accessories and wiring resulted in a brutal rats nest. So, I enlisted the help of AZWirePro to rewire all of he accessories and install a SwitchPro. Super happy with the ease of use and cleanliness of the system with SwitchPro.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Car is still running strong, put about 300 miles on it this weekend in ocotillo wells with no problems!

Made a few changes to the lighting setup, swapped out the Hyperspot D-XL on the A-Pillar for a set of floods, I also just bought a new to me raptor and the previous owner included a 40" single row curved rigid bar that I repurposed onto the roof of this.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Car is still running strong, put about 300 miles on it this weekend in ocotillo wells with no problems!

Made a few changes to the lighting setup, swapped out the Hyperspot D-XL on the A-Pillar for a set of floods, I also just bought a new to me raptor and the previous owner included a 40" single row curved rigid bar that I repurposed onto the roof of this.

Pretty sure I saw you out there at some point, I thought the car looked familiar

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
IMG_4385.jpg

I just got this one last week, tons of upgrades and has the Speed Werx stage 2 kit. Seems to run out pretty good. Fun machine, handles well for what it is.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Probably was either me or my wife, not a whole lot of these out in the wild unfortunately.

yeah, I mean I know it was a bright green Wildcat, I don't know how many of them were out in Ocotillo, but I would have to guess not more than 1...lol...

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
yeah, I mean I know it was a bright green Wildcat, I don't know how many of them were out in Ocotillo, but I would have to guess not more than 1...lol...

I saw (2) other XX this weekend, but both were down at the train trellis and neither were green 😂

NIKAL

Reaction score
There were a few XX’s at Superstition/PC this weekend. Nice seeing more of these XX’s running around.

Just wish Textron & Arctic Cat took the UTV division & the XX seriously. There is so much potential. But Textron does not care about the UTV line, and I think the fact that AC lost the huge lawsuit to Gordon/Romano makes me think they will never want to persue a long term future with the XX model.

Also who knows what the future with the Yamaha motor is, with Yamaha pulling its Snow Sled partnership with AC? Maybe the UTV div. won’t be affected? Arctic Cat owns the engine company formerly known as Weber Engines. They have the potential to build a bitchen UTV engine that could go in several models of UTV. Also the XX would have sold a ton of 4 seat cars, 72 inch wide cars and could you imagine a 160-170hp turbo version? But for those who don’t know, Textron/AC internal analysis team said they researched and saw no market for a 4 seat XX or a wider XX. I guess if you don’t leave Minnesota you might think that?

Warlock1

Reaction score
Another XX out here in the Buckeye area. Always looking to go riding. Lots of riding out this way as well. Haven't taken this car out to the Hassayampa yet but man did we have some great times out there with quads and a rail or two.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There were a few XX’s at Superstition/PC this weekend. Nice seeing more of these XX’s running around.

Just wish Textron & Arctic Cat took the UTV division & the XX seriously. There is so much potential. But Textron does not care about the UTV line, and I think the fact that AC lost the huge lawsuit to Gordon/Romano makes me think they will never want to persue a long term future with the XX model.

Also who knows what the future with the Yamaha motor is, with Yamaha pulling its Snow Sled partnership with AC? Maybe the UTV div. won’t be affected? Arctic Cat owns the engine company formerly known as Weber Engines. They have the potential to build a bitchen UTV engine that could go in several models of UTV. Also the XX would have sold a ton of 4 seat cars, 72 inch wide cars and could you imagine a 160-170hp turbo version? But for those who don’t know, Textron/AC internal analysis team said they researched and saw no market for a 4 seat XX or a wider XX. I guess if you don’t leave Minnesota you might think that?

And now you know how we ended up with Speed UTV. As of 18 months ago Speed had more 4 seat orders in the queue than Wildcats XX that exist.. I think that stat is still true.

This was a giant miss for Textron.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

According to Robby and Todd, more SpeedUTV were pre-sold than the total number of XX/XTR that were ever sold, agreed that their market research over-indexed on the backwood trail guys of the Midwest. Also believe part of that is because that's where the majority of their dealer network is, success with a 4 seat, 72", turbo car would have required at least doubling the dealer network throughout the southwest.

Another XX out here in the Buckeye area. Always looking to go riding. Lots of riding out this way as well. Haven't taken this car out to the Hassayampa yet but man did we have some great times out there with quads and a rail or two.
I was under the impression that Hassayampa was a no-go for riding? See tracks out there that makes it seem like it gets used a lot, but don't like playing with fire.

Dalton

Reaction score
I remember with these, back east people were complaining about the steering rods being in front of the a arms, they wanted them behind the a arms for when they’re running through the woods and smacking small trees, I think with the rods behind the a arms you get more bump steer, but that market isn’t exactly worried about bump steer lol

NIKAL

Reaction score
The fact that Textron/Arctic Cat has never seen the need or want to be at the Sand Sport Show, where every UTV manufacturer with a sport model has a booth, and is promoting their products, has to tell you something? Why would they not even have a small 20x20 booth with a couple cars, a quad and a few AC reps there?

Even the two years they were at the Sand Show it was with Robby Gordon.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The fact that Textron/Arctic Cat has never seen the need or want to be at the Sand Sport Show, where every UTV manufacturer with a sport model has a booth, and is promoting their products, has to tell you something? Why would they not even have a small 20x20 booth with a couple cars, a quad and a few AC reps there?

Even the two years they were at the Sand Show it was with Robby Gordon.

Most of the Textron team that designed the car was about a 10 minute drive from the show too.

Dunerking

Reaction score
We love our XX! I wouldn’t mind a turbo kick for the dunes…but it still run good at Glamis! IMG_1670.jpeg IMG_1658.jpeg