WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Will insurance repair or total?

hawgty55

Reaction score
Well received a not so pleasant picture from my wife that a lady backed into her at the feed bin.

So i get to thinking that with the cost of repairs which id be guessing at that they might total my ol girl.

2002 chevy gasser its been a great truck and either way im going to keep it but would hate to have a salvage title on it.

So if there are any auto body experts what say you.
20190218_100025.jpg
602698401.jpg

HitIt

Reaction score
Take the insurance payout, the salvage title, fix it, and keep it and then run it into the ground. Or spend 20 - 40k to get something else. Once you start looking into the options you will be stunned by the cost.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Huh.. got this yesterday from mine...
Adjustments.jpg

Guy was trying to move over to left lane but had to cut right and stopped short to avoid hitting another car

hawgty55

Reaction score
Take the insurance payout, the salvage title, fix it, and keep it and then run it into the ground. Or spend 20 - 40k to get something else. Once you start looking into the options you will be stunned by the cost.
What options? Repairs or replacement?

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Replace the outer skin on the bed. Very straight forward job. Remove bed, drill out spot welds and peal off the outer skin. Replace with new skin from G.M. , paint and go. Should be around $ 2,750 depending on labor rates in your area. I had a great body man who loved bedsides. Pays around ten hours labor and Mark could do one in about four hours.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Wprked at a shop years ago. Insurance would pay up to 80% of the value of the car, any more then that it would be a total. Like said before bedsides are cheap and easy to repair outter skin.

69hondo

Reaction score
Well received a not so pleasant picture from my wife that a lady backed into her at the feed bin.

So i get to thinking that with the cost of repairs which id be guessing at that they might total my ol girl.

2002 chevy gasser its been a great truck and either way im going to keep it but would hate to have a salvage title on it.

So if there are any auto body experts what say you. View attachment 842819 View attachment 842820

Looks like you might be in the high desert. Go see Jason at Signature 2 auto collision inc.

2Driver

Reaction score
Like others said above, they will only total if the repairs approach 80% of average book value and bed sides are fairly cheap to fix.

Do not let them total it even if it reaches that total number. You can always go through your insurance and they will subrogate the claim for you.
Another option is you can sign off on an agreed cost to repair. In other words, if they feel it is close to being a total and they are concerned it could go over in supplement costs, you can sign off on a specific number that will have it repaired correctly and they won’t total it.

Chances are their insurance company will send you to one of their DRP direct repair shops, - no problem with that, but it wouldn’t hurt to get an estimate from a shop of your choice.

Last edited:

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
NOT a total. That bedside needs replacement. Under 4gs. Used sides are a bitch (all the spot welds have to be drilled out), but common replacements on these. I saw one recently that someone trimmed off the old side and over layed the new used side over the old edges and then used “tech screws”, to hold it on. No welding required! I love do it your selfers!

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Like said above they will only total if the repairs approach 80% of average book value and bed sides are fairly cheap to fix.

Do not let them total it even if it reaches that total number. You can always go through your insurance and they will subrogate the claim for you.
Another option is you can sign off on an agreed cost to repair. In other words if they feel it is close to being a total and they are concerned it could go over in supplement costs you can sign off on a specific number that will have it repaired correctly and they won’t total it.

Chance are their insurance company will send you to one of their DRP direct repair shops, - no problem with that, but it wouldn’t hurt to get an estimate from a shop of your choice.
Often the ins co ‘s DRP shop gives a discount for parts, paint material, and labor to the ins co making it even less likely to total.
Who is the insurance co?

Backlash

Reaction score
Try and avoid having it totalled by the insurance co. Should they still do that, it may be more difficult to insure the vehicle and it will definitely be more difficult to sell it down the road. Just my .02.

fishing fool

Reaction score
After looking at closer, get yourself a big suction cup and most of it will pull out, you will still have the scratches in the paint tho.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Often the ins co ‘s DRP shop gives a discount for parts, paint material, and labor to the ins co making it even less likely to total.
Who is the insurance co?
Geico just had to switch from AAA with iur nove to Texas so this will be my first experience with them and the guilty party has a texas farm bureau or something

hawgty55

Reaction score
Looks like you might be in the high desert. Go see Jason at Signature 2 auto collision inc.
Have heard good things about them but thats an older picture and we have recently transplanted elsewhere.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Installing dash cameras in our cars.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Installing dash cameras in our cars.

THat might not be a bad idea with the way that people are driving these days. Post up what you end up going with if you could.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Looks like a good spot for a RDP sticker!!

Just got quotes to replace the bed side, bumper and taillight on my 09 duramax and its about $2k

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Try and avoid having it totalled by the insurance co. Should they still do that, it may be more difficult to insure the vehicle and it will definitely be more difficult to sell it down the road. Just my .02.

Wife’s car had hail damage a few years ago.
Took it to get appraised, we just wanted to fix it since it looked like a golf ball.

USAA said it’s a total loss.
We said “ok well we’ll just take the car back and not fix it”.

Was told that once a total loss was noted by the USAA appraiser, we couldn’t “undo” it and it would have a salvage title moving forward.

I dunno if that’s true but we took the payout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

I imagine a shop doing this, replacement bedside, and paint is probably going to run like 2k+, which will probably total it out. KBB is only gonna be like 4-6k.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
In Ca insurance co’s have to establish fair market via comps or dealer quotes , not blue book value.
My understanding is you can with draw a claim anytime prior to cashing the check. Unless your policy says otherwise.

dribble

Reaction score
I did this to the side of my Dodge with a Bobcat. Went to a wrecking yard and bought a bed for $1,200.00 took it to a body shop and had some minor dings taken out and painted for another $1,200.00. Drove in and swapped it out in 30 minutes
A83E9558-B6A2-4142-9AF6-836F1047F21A.jpeg
95FE7AB6-7217-4B40-BB8C-ED23537B276A.jpeg
83FCBF2C-5F96-4185-8442-C06C28A960A5.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
THat might not be a bad idea with the way that people are driving these days. Post up what you end up going with if you could.
Putting a rear view mirror with front camera and dvr in Jans car. Backup camera provides the rear view.
20200207_142657.jpg
15811147192693628682133070758165.jpg
+

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I'm thinking new bed as well. possibly find one that color matches.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That looks repairable. The wrong body shop can write that estimate thru the roof and total the vehicle though. Go somewhere reasonable that does good work and they should be able to fix it.

I had a similar dent fixed on my wifes '01 tahoe for $800 cash at a "mid grade" body shop, and it didn't require a new rear fender...just alot of massaging. It's possible

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Truck beds are fairly complicated. It's like a unibody. Out west they should be plentiful and rust free.
Spend a few minutes each day to locate the same one. In the old days junkyards would put out a call to locate what you need.
Not sure if that still exists?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Looks like a total to me. If the buy back ia cheap, buy it back, register it as salvaged and drive it until the wheels fall off.

That is just sheet metal.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
You would be really surprised at what one of these beds in nice condition goes for. These haven’t been produced in 13 years and nice short ones bring great money $2000 - $2500
Go to car-part.com and put in your zip code.
Prices are all over the hey field.

I would say not repairable, the area around the tailight will be a bitch to get straight. Way faster to replace and you won’t need to run more tire pressure in the right rear with all that body filler!

Last edited:

hawgty55

Reaction score
Swung by our local body shop and his quote came in just shy of $1600 and 27% of vehicle so we're not looking at a salvage title whitch for obvious reasons i didn't want.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

So if there are any auto body experts what say you. View attachment 842819 View attachment 842820

I wouldn't spend dime one on it. Drive it as it is, and run it into the ground. Take the collision off it, and use her as a beater.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Wife’s car had hail damage a few years ago.
Took it to get appraised, we just wanted to fix it since it looked like a golf ball.

USAA said it’s a total loss.
We said “ok well we’ll just take the car back and not fix it”.

Was told that once a total loss was noted by the USAA appraiser, we couldn’t “undo” it and it would have a salvage title moving forward.

I dunno if that’s true but we took the payout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
100% true. Had the same thing happen with my frontier. USAA deemed it a “total loss” and there was no going back from that (one of the reasons I dumped usaa). Their “approved” body shop wanted over 6k to fix a front bumper (black plastic) rear bumper, and bedside. I let them total it, bought it back and took the payout, and fixed everything for <$3k (bed side was ~$2k or so, everything else was bolt on so I did that).

7 years and 100k more miles, still driving it.