WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Will SCE Turn Your Power Off For An Hour This Week?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
SCE sent us another demand response at 3pm today to curtail our power to the agreed level of 50 kva. That's 4 days in a row and we didn't even run the plant this past weekend. I expect it to continue tomorrow and Wed but per our plan there can't be more than 10 demand response in a 30 day window. We normally run about 1500kva (1.5 Megawatt) when things are running good.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
CA is a fucking 3rd world "nation-state" (douchebag governors own term.) Power outages, human shit in the streets, rampant crime.

Year 2021 in america and we dont have enough power during the summer, you know, when it gets hot.

This isn't a case if fucktards not acknowledging seasonality, like UPS. This is liberal bullshit. (UPS/fedex is union bullshit)

dspracing

Reaction score
Pretty cool data here -

Based on available power and tomorrow’s forecast, looks like there will be certain rolling outages.

2AEC655D-C627-48D2-A4D6-08F520F0E33D.png

EmpirE231

Reaction score
in all fairness, its not like the A/C's are shut off at those properties. They have SUBSTANTIALLY reduced load but it is not gone. I highly doubt much of any of them have even adjusted their set points knowing they dont need to cool employees and the public.

you think gym owners are cooling 20-30k sqft spaces with 20amp treadmills going all day with nobody in there?

DWC

Reaction score
Just gotta make it through the night.. Heading to Havasu in the morning.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Guess who's power won't go out? Mine and Gavin's. Not joking. He lives about 15 minutes from me and our towns generate their own power. 👍

Havasteve

Reaction score
California can buy power generated in any state. If there was a generation shortage it would be grid wide and not isolated to Ca. They just aren’t importing the power they need. Probably no money or credit. Democrats you know..

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
you think gym owners are cooling 20-30k sqft spaces with 20amp treadmills going all day with nobody in there?
The equipment is about the only thing not drawing power. Most all commercial A/C and lighting systems on that size will be computer controlled and I guarantee nobody has wanted or really thought about paying the several hundred $$ for a tech to visit or remotely connect to the system to shut them off or down. Specially when they have no idea when they will be able to reopen and if they will have enough time to get that same tech back out there to return the programming to normal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wash11

Reaction score
Question for you guys with back up generators- do you have these wired into your house electrical via transfer switch? Or just use extension cords to power the essentials like fridge/freezers etc?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
The equipment is about the only thing not drawing power. Most all commercial A/C and lighting systems on that size will be computer controlled and I guarantee nobody has wanted or really thought about paying the several hundred $$ for a tech to visit or remotely connect to the system to shut them off or down. Specially when they have no idea when they will be able to reopen and if they will have enough time to get that same tech back out there to return the programming to normal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

a good friend owns about 25 large gyms. They are making zero dollar per month... he definitely had that all adjusted to not have a several thousand power bill every month with empty gyms. I would think the big chains like LA fitness etc did the same.

I’m just saying, you would think we would be having a power surplus. Theme parks are closed, just in my little office location, only 1 out of 4 suites is currently open.

but there is always a problem. Water shortage.... pandemic, electrical grid problem, etc etc.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
a good friend owns about 25 large gyms. They are making zero dollar per month... he definitely had that all adjusted to not have a several thousand power bill every month with empty gyms. I would think the big chains like LA fitness etc did the same.

I’m just saying, you would think we would be having a power surplus. Theme parks are closed, just in my little office location, only 1 out of 4 suites is currently open.

but there is always a problem. Water shortage.... pandemic, electrical grid problem, etc etc.
You'd be very surprised how many of the large chain locations of sorts will not touch their controls to save a few $ in fear that doing so will result in a net loss due to repairs needed as a result of restarting ot returning to normal schedules.

I completely agree that this "shortage" is a manufactured problem for Newscum and his cronies to "study" and magically "fix" and be the "savior" is so many sheep's eyes.

dspracing

Reaction score
Question for you guys with back up generators- do you have these wired into your house electrical via transfer switch? Or just use extension cords to power the essentials like fridge/freezers etc?

I turn off the main and backfeed the power through a 30a receptacle I use for the RV. In the plug coming from my eu3000, I have both hot legs tied together so my 110v generator will power every circuit in the panel. Alternatively, you would need to have everything important on one leg of your incoming power and everything else on another.

PlanB

Reaction score

Extension cords for me.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I turn off the main and backfeed the power through a 30a receptacle I use for the RV. In the plug coming from my eu3000, I have both hot legs tied together so my 110v generator will power every circuit in the panel. Alternatively, you would need to have everything important on one leg of your incoming power and everything else on another.

This is exactly what I plan on doing when I finally buy a generator. I assume you just try to manage the load by not turning on too much at once?

hallett21

Reaction score

Hardwired via 30amp 250v generator receptacle. Breaker interlock between main breaker and generator breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wash11

Reaction score
Hardwired via 30amp 250v generator receptacle. Breaker interlock between main breaker and generator breaker.

That's bitchin. I honestly had no idea how much or how little work it would be to do something like that to an existing electrical system.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

does the interlock protect you from double feeding the panel when the power company comes back on?

hallett21

Reaction score
That's bitchin. I honestly had no idea how much or how little work it would be to do something like that to an existing electrical system.

Take a picture of your panel with the breakers visible and I can point you in the right direction.

does the interlock protect you from double feeding the panel when the power company comes back on?

Exactly. Plus the generator receptacle is a “male” end so you definitely don’t want that to ever be energized.

I installed this more for my wife than anything. After going through the woosley fires I was spread so thin helping family that I wasn’t home for 4 days. I wanted to make it real easy for her to hook it up in the event of an emergency.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Just got this e-mail from SCE. I can bet my paycheck were getting a demand response to curtail our load at 3pm sharp today. :mad:

Continuing Statewide Emergency Notice To Demand Response Customers

The Governor's Office has called a statewide emergency due to current heatwave and a shortage of electric supply for the California grid, and is asking for utilities to activate all Demand Response programs to reduce energy usage as well as use all available onsite back-up generation during the hours of 3 P M to 10 P M. The use of onsite back-up generation to self- supply customer demand will help to alleviate electric shortages and may decrease or eliminate the need for CAISO rotating outages across the state.

CAISO rotating outages typically last one hour or shorter and are critical to preventing longer more widespread outages during system emergencies.

Learn more at sce.com.

Please do not reply to this email; this is not a monitored email address.

Meaney77

Reaction score

Good Points, its ALWAYS Something...

Its kinda funny, the government gets you one way or another.

I just got off of a Conf Call this morning to determine what type of load shed we can do throughout our campus. We have several buildings that are mostly unoccupied so we have shut down power to most of those buildings to help SCE. The funny thing is most of the buildings all have back up generator power but in order to fire up the generators, we have to pull a permit with the city and we are only allowed to run during certain periods so we dont piss of neighbors, exceed our carbon emissions, etc....

So on one hand you are helping one company to reduce power usage but on the other you are potentially at risk of large fines in the event that you exceed allowable limits.

wash11

Reaction score
Take a picture of your panel with the breakers visible and I can point you in the right direction.

Ours is a purpose built off grid system. There was a lot of planning to add in a generator correctly so I was wondering how much would be involved in a retrofit. The more I learn about this stuff, the more fascinating it is to me.
solar panels.jpg

solar equipment.jpg

We had prewired for a genie in the original design, knowing we wouldn't have the cash to add it up front. I ordered this two days ago. Will update our offgrid thread in the next few weeks with all the new stuff we've done this last year. Our system has been flawless. The last week we've had 100 plus degree temps with high 80's at 10pm so having the ability to run the AC late into the night is a welcome upgrade. On batteries, we've been able to run the AC till about 9pm, shutting down when the lithium batteries hit 60% (they safely go down to 10% unlike AGM's or lead acid).
15kW Generac Air Cooled WiFi EcoGen Off Grid Standby Generator | 7163

7163__56112.1539364559.1280.1280.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Ours is a purpose built off grid system. There was a lot of planning to add in a generator correctly so I was wondering how much would be involved in a retrofit. The more I learn about this stuff, the more fascinating it is to me.
View attachment 912239

View attachment 912240

We had prewired for a genie in the original design, knowing we wouldn't have the cash to add it up front. I ordered this two days ago. Will update our offgrid thread in the next few weeks with all the new stuff we've done this last year. Our system has been flawless. The last week we've had 100 plus degree temps with high 80's at 10pm so having the ability to run the AC late into the night is a welcome upgrade. On batteries, we've been able to run the AC till about 9pm, shutting down when the lithium batteries hit 60% (they safely go down to 10% unlike AGM's or lead acid).
15kW Generac Air Cooled WiFi EcoGen Off Grid Standby Generator | 7163

View attachment 912241

Completely forgot that you guys were off grid. Still the same principals 👍🏻

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Good Points, its ALWAYS Something...

Its kinda funny, the government gets you one way or another.

I just got off of a Conf Call this morning to determine what type of load shed we can do throughout our campus. We have several buildings that are mostly unoccupied so we have shut down power to most of those buildings to help SCE. The funny thing is most of the buildings all have back up generator power but in order to fire up the generators, we have to pull a permit with the city and we are only allowed to run during certain periods so we dont piss of neighbors, exceed our carbon emissions, etc....

So on one hand you are helping one company to reduce power usage but on the other you are potentially at risk of large fines in the event that you exceed allowable limits.

It is just strange... I am looking across the street at cal baptist university, which has a huge solar array above their parking structure and gymnasium.... nobody is there, campus is closed. HUGE solar array across the entire mall parking structure, but the place is maybe 25% open. All the local car dealerships are covered in solar panels. Everything is LED lighting, LED TV's etc etc etc, yet somehow.... we have a power shortage. I would say 20% of homes have solar panels on them now........

TeamGreene

Reaction score
We installed a mastercool like 15yrs ago and signed up for the A/C shut off deal to get a break on the bill I've used the A/C maybe once a year since.

wash11

Reaction score
Completely forgot that you guys were off grid. Still the same principals 👍🏻

It's some pretty swanky shit for sure. It senses the load and will instantly pull from the batteries (up to 7K) and add to the 15k genie for big loads. Can monitor and control from my phone and has all sorts of programmable features such as auto cycle, auto start based on depth of discharge percentage instead of just low voltage. This many years in on the off grid solar stuff, I geek out on it. Some guys scroll facebook, I just look at my solar app.

This is with the AC on and Amy's doing laundry, washer and dryer both going.
IMG_9853.PNG

spark2678

Reaction score

I have a 10KW generator I bought from Costco a few years ago. I have an open 50A breaker on my panel that I use to backfeed the panel via my 50A receptacle on the generator, of course I turn off the SDGE main first. I can turn off smaller 20A breakers and also feed refrigerators and other items on extension cords.

dspracing

Reaction score
This is exactly what I plan on doing when I finally buy a generator. I assume you just try to manage the load by not turning on too much at once?

We have all LED lighting in our house which may help but we have not had any load issues. Of course we don't do laundry or anything like that but it will run the Heater, fridge, internet, tv, interior and exterior lighting, etc without any issues.

I have a little photo based instruction sheet so my wife can make the switch if I'm not home when the power goes out.

rrrr

Reaction score
Guess who's power won't go out? Mine and Gavin's. Not joking. He lives about 15 minutes from me and our towns generate their own power. 👍

Typical. The Lords have dictated even more solar power will be imposed by 2030, and blackouts will become common. In the meantime, the Lord of Lords luxuriates in air conditioned comfort. Only the little people have to suffer.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Typical. The Lords have dictated even more solar power will be imposed by 2030, and blackouts will become common. In the meantime, the Lord of Lords luxuriates in air conditioned comfort. Only the little people have to suffer.
Are you calling me the Lord of Lords?...cause I'm good with that. ;) 👍

hallett21

Reaction score
It's some pretty swanky shit for sure. It senses the load and will instantly pull from the batteries (up to 7K) and add to the 15k genie for big loads. Can monitor and control from my phone and has all sorts of programmable features such as auto cycle, auto start based on depth of discharge percentage instead of just low voltage. This many years in on the off grid solar stuff, I geek out on it. Some guys scroll facebook, I just look at my solar app.

This is with the AC on and Amy's doing laundry, washer and dryer both going.
View attachment 912244

I love off grid stuff like yours! Badass

SoCalDave

Reaction score
SCE requested we curtail our load at 1:40pm today...five days in a row now we have had to shut down...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
If you didn’t are you fined?
It ain't cheap, I know that. It's somewhere in this document if anyone less than a genius could figure it out.

Attachments

• ELECTRIC_SCHEDULES_TOU-BIP.pdf
    299.5 KB · Views: 131

grumpy88

Reaction score
The state of Nevada thanks you for buying power ! .10 a kilowatt here while CA is what , .27 ?

Taboma

Reaction score
Power went out in south Mission Viejo at 5:00. Awesome sauce!

You might want to check the SCE outage page, it appears you're down because of a problem, not a rotating blackout. Est restore is like midnight, although it shows they're assessing the damage.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
You might want to check the SCE outage page, it appears you're down because of a problem, not a rotating blackout. Est restore is like midnight, although it shows they're assessing the damage.
It went back on 30 minutes later. 4:59 to 5:29

Taboma

Reaction score
It went back on 30 minutes later. 4:59 to 5:29

Great deal, I just noticed one in MV that's an equipment failure, went down at 5:29 thought that might have been yours.

Sure fire way for me to get our power restored, is to get out the gen and set up any cords, about then, like magic, it's back on. :D