WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Will this cam work well N/A marine?

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
This is the cam I have:
C90480B1-2C1E-4B9F-A0F2-26A73716A622.jpeg

Engine is 555ci (4.25 stroke) iron rectangle port, 8.5:1, solid roller, 1.7/1.8 rocker ratio. What are your power estimates under 6000 rpm ( carb, single plane, EMI exhaust)

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
That's a hydraulic roller cam according to the card, not solid. Lobe separation is pretty wide for NA, and the duration may be a problem with your EMI wet exhaust.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
That's a hydraulic roller cam according to the card, not solid. Lobe separation is pretty wide for NA, and the duration may be a problem with your EMI wet exhaust.
Oh. The engine was efi turbo before I tore into it...it had an ancient haltech computer so I was planning to run it N/A with a carb for simplicity and cost. Should I try dry exhaust or new cam or blow through carb turbo?

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Obviously turbo will make more power. You could get that one re-ground, the the LSA will still not be ideal for NA even with dry headers. Best suggestion would be a new cam if you can find one. Isky just ground one for me in about 10 days (custom, not a shelf grind), but hold on to your hat when you hear current cam prices.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Try Ron Sporl Performance Marine (OSO Member). He has several performance grinds in stock.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Obviously turbo will make more power. You could get that one re-ground, the the LSA will still not be ideal for NA even with dry headers. Best suggestion would be a new cam if you can find one. Isky just ground one for me in about 10 days (custom, not a shelf grind), but hold on to your hat when you hear current cam prices.
I am camtarded....what is good and bad with my combo if I go turbo blow through?

Teague_JR

Reaction score
I think that cam will work alright for a 555. Iron heads might limit your top end. Call it 675. Youll be able to get away with cheap fuel with that low compression Youll need good hydraulic lifters (johnson)

The LSA is a bit much.. that favors big RPM horsepower and you will lose power (torque) under 4500, but it will also keep the engine from reverting water by reducing valve overlap...

Its not a perfect match for your setup but if you dont want to spend the money run it....

FYI If you had better heads and exhaust, I would actually go bigger on duration for a 555 inch motor

double FYI that is not a good turbo cam