WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Will vehicles with a Hellcat motor sell for a premium in 5 years?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So everywhere I look, cars are selling for a premium. My wife's Honda Civic was $10k about 2 years ago. It seems to be work $17k now.

A lot of dealerships are adding a 10-20% markup on new vehicles as well.

I have a line (and a deposit down) on a Trackhawk in transit. Only a $1,000 markup. But, they're still expensive as hell.

As of now, it seems like no more Trackhawks in production. They also announced no new Hellcat motored vehicles after 2023 models.

Will I be selling this car with 25k miles in 5 years for the same price I bought it for? Will it hold value much better than other SUVs?

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm thinking no. There are thousands of them out there, and probably dozens in garages somewhere with 3.5 miles on them. Those guys think they're gonna cash in.

spectras only

Reaction score
I'm not sure about making money or even get in 5 yrs what you pay for it now My 99 Viper GTS was 96K msrp cdn. It's still in excellent shape but has 50K miles. I only see Vipers similar to mine with literally 5K or less miles getting into the 60-80K cdn. Only ACR's or the latest ACR Extreme like my buddy has gone over 200K +. Have two friends with $$$ to spare, one has 23 GTS Vipers only, other has 17, all low miles, bought for investment only.
Cars like the Ford GT is an exception. They were 185K cdn when first come out, now dealers asking half a mil for them with low miles.

My friend still has this one

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpg
    IMG_5289.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5406.jpg
    IMG_5406.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5293-e1454108135929.jpg
    IMG_5293-e1454108135929.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5334.jpg
    IMG_5334.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Man I sure hope not. I really like that Dodge, Ford and GM have revamped the muscle car movement covertly. Along with our Japanese auto builders as well. There are some really cool engines out there now and they're being labeled as bad because they run on gas.

This is why I have mixed feelings about electric cars. I think they are great for commuting or even long hauls for light travel. I don't think the picture is any cleaner though from one to the other. I feel like somewhere in this world there is a country that's getting shit on with heavy metal waste deposits from manufacturing all these technologies we just arent seeing the pictures.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No, there are too many floating around. In 5-10 years the early ones will be at the bottom of their depreciation scale.

77charger

Reaction score
. They also announced no new Hellcat motored vehicles after 2023 models.

Will I be selling this car with 25k miles in 5 years for the same price I bought it for? Will it hold value much better than other SUVs?
You mean the hellcat will be motor right now it has an engine.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
People keeping cars in hiding because they’re valuable is what’s killing the value.
First big block Vettes are valued because something like one in three didn’t last 6 months because someone piled them up.
My kid has a 90 s13 that’s completely stock. I can’t believe the money he’s offered for that car regularly because all the rear wheel drive Jap cars get drifted and swapped.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Premium no. Lose money no. Now wait 25 years and you will have something
I'm thinking no. There are thousands of them out there, and probably dozens in garages somewhere with 3.5 miles on them. Those guys think they're gonna cash in.

No, there are too many floating around. In 5-10 years the early ones will be at the bottom of their depreciation scale.

They definitely haven’t made as many Trackhawks as they have aChargers and Challengers.

I’m more looking for an assessment on depreciation of say a $100k Escalade vs a $100k Trackhawk.

I’m thinking the Escalade in 5 years 25k miles is going for $78k and the similarly used Trackhawk is $90k. Or am I just thinking in COVID pricing madness?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They definitely haven’t made as many Trackhawks as they have aChargers and Challengers.

I’m more looking for an assessment on depreciation of say a $100k Escalade vs a $100k Trackhawk.

I’m thinking the Escalade in 5 years 25k miles is going for $78k and the similarly used Trackhawk is $90k. Or am I just thinking in COVID pricing madness?

All high end SUVs drop value like rocks. But yes Trackhawks are more rare.

Here is a Trackhawk with 1100 miles and the guy wants $86k buy it now. The Trackhawk is an enthusiast car so that will help the value, but I wouldn’t bet it will be worth 90k in 5 years.. I’d think closer to $60k. Look at SRT Jeep Cherokees, the Trackhawks will follow that path.

EDIT - The above is not a trackhawk -

Here are trackhawk values

Last edited:

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
All high end SUVs drop value like rocks. But yes Trackhawks are more rare.

Here is a Trackhawk with 1100 miles and the guy wants $86k buy it now. The Trackhawk is an enthusiast car so that will help the value, but I wouldn’t bet it will be worth 90k in 5 years.. I’d think closer to $60k. Look at SRT Jeep Cherokees, the Trackhawks will follow that path.

Sir, that is an SRT that was supercharged by the owner.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Very few cars you can pay msrp and end up making $$$$ down the line. You would need to find a super clean one with low miles 10 years from now for cheap to make that happen.

Aside from some Porsches/Ferraris most anything else will depreciate with time.

The weird rare stuff does much better....Manual CTSV wagon ,manual G8 GXP comes to mind for a regular car over the past 10 years.

A real world priced car to keep an eye on over the next couple years if the price dips is the Manual chevy SS. Not a ton of them and i think if the markeyt on cars tanks they would be one to grab.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

If you are hedging on depreciation than yes i think a new trackhawk will be worth way more than a new escalade 5-10 years from now. Still might end up loosing 40k++ on the trackhawk.

Spudsbud

Reaction score

This !

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sir, that is an SRT that was supercharged by the owner.

Very true after a 2nd look, thank you.

Here you go, the picture looks about the same though. Mid $80K for a 3 year old one with mid 20K miles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Very few cars you can pay msrp and end up making $$$$ down the line. You would need to find a super clean one with low miles 10 years from now for cheap to make that happen.

Aside from some Porsches/Ferraris most anything else will depreciate with time.

The weird rare stuff does much better....Manual CTSV wagon ,manual G8 GXP comes to mind for a regular car over the past 10 years.

A real world priced car to keep an eye on over the next couple years if the price dips is the Manual chevy SS. Not a ton of them and i think if the markeyt on cars tanks they would be one to grab.

This. I have a friend that got a last year manual SS on that 25% off sale Chevy had.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This. I have a friend that got a last year manual SS on that 25% off sale Chevy had.
yep...They were giving them away for a tad i considered one when they were doing the deal buut the good colors were hard to find. In his case it's now absolutely worth more than he paid 3+ years later.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
If you are hedging on depreciation than yes i think a new trackhawk will be worth way more than a new escalade 5-10 years from now. Still might end up loosing 40k++ on the trackhawk.

I really don't want to spend $100k on a car right now. But I know we'll all be forced into electric vehicles soon. The time for V8s is now, the next few years, or never.

So I'm really just looking for a slower depreciation while being able to own an insane SUV for 5 years.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
yep...They were giving them away for a tad i considered one when they were doing the deal buut the good colors were hard to find. In his case it's now absolutely worth more than he paid 3+ years later.

Totally.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I really don't want to spend $100k on a car right now. But I know we'll all be forced into electric vehicles soon. The time for V8s is now, the next few years, or never.

So I'm really just looking for a slower depreciation while being able to own an insane SUV for 5 years.

What makes you think these cars wont be around in a few years to buy gently used? Or do you just want a new car?

In 5 years the $100K Jeep is gonna be worth $60K unless you never drive it. You are better off buying a $80K 392 Wrangler if you want a depreciation hedge.

traquer

Reaction score
Gas cars will be around for a long time to enjoy, you just won't be able to have a big selection of new ones.

I think there will be a time in the next 10-20 years where gas cars won't be "cool" anymore so all of the values will plummet except for the Ferraris and rare Porsches etc. That will be an amazing time to have cheap playtime with all sorts of high performance cars like M3s, Hellcats, AMGs, if you can find a clean one.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Gas cars will be around for a long time to enjoy, you just won't be able to have a big selection of new ones.

I think there will be a time in the next 10-20 years where gas cars won't be "cool" anymore so all of the values will plummet except for the Ferraris and rare Porsches etc. That will be an amazing time to have cheap playtime with all sorts of high performance cars like M3s, Hellcats, AMGs, if you can find a clean one.

They have said the same thing about manual transmissions for the last 10 years, and they keep making them because there is still demand. Electric cars have a looooong way to go and the infrastructure and lithium to get them to become the dominant source of propulsion is simply not there.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Wait till the supercharged engines start blowing up , people will sell because they don’t want to put any money into them . If you’re mechanically inclined, you might do well . As far as electric cars , the numbers just don’t add up . Maybe in 50 years or so …

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
What makes you think these cars wont be around in a few years to buy gently used? Or do you just want a new car?

In 5 years the $100K Jeep is gonna be worth $60K unless you never drive it. You are better off buying a $80K 392 Wrangler if you want a depreciation hedge.

I was referring to new cars. And I’m saying that because it appears they are no longer making Trackhawks and definitely not after 2023 models.

I’m also not asking for what you’d do or pay personally. I know a lot of guys on here are good at finding deals. Hell look at me… I’m finding a Trackhawk that is marked up $1000 instead of the $25-30k I’m seeing elsewhere.

I’m talking about the people paying $100k right now for 2006 Magic Deckboat. What will they pay?

To me, it seems like a lot vehicles at MSRP are a “good deal” right now given the market.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Wait till the supercharged engines start blowing up , people will sell because they don’t want to put any money into them . If you’re mechanically inclined, you might do well . As far as electric cars , the numbers just don’t add up . Maybe in 50 years or so …

Government is going to try to make it add up by forcing higher gas prices on us.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was referring to new cars. And I’m saying that because it appears they are no longer making Trackhawks and definitely not after 2023 models.

I’m also not asking for what you’d do or pay personally. I know a lot of guys on here are good at finding deals. Hell look at me… I’m finding a Trackhawk that is marked up $1000 instead of the $25-30k I’m seeing elsewhere.

I’m talking about the people paying $100k right now for 2006 Magic Deckboat. What will they pay?

To me, it seems like a lot vehicles at MSRP are a “good deal” right now given the market.

We can see what the market is doing for Trackhawks, they have been out for 3 years. It it about what you'd expect for a 2-3 year old car, they have lost 15-20% of their value and that is with Covid used car inflated pricing. When that goes away, used car pricing is going to drop due to the supply of new cars. That is going to happen within 5 years.

The Magic deckboat example has a fatal flaw, a new deckboat costs $180K+ about double what it cost 15 years ago. That is the only reason people are paying $100K for a 15 year old deckboat.

Jeep Trackhawks are not going to double in MSRP in 5 years. These are not special edition cars. They are just like Shelby Mustangs, ZL1 Camaros, etc. They made many of them.

As @Cole Trickle said, unless it is some rare variant with odd or desirable options, it is not going to be particularly desirable 5 years down the line. Aside from Wranglers, Jeep vehicles as a brand does not hold its value too well at all. I don't see that changing for Trackhawks, especially with faster $100K electric car options on the very near horizon.

2Driver

Reaction score
What's a Speed car deposit going to be worth in 5 years?

traquer

Reaction score
They have said the same thing about manual transmissions for the last 10 years, and they keep making them because there is still demand. Electric cars have a looooong way to go and the infrastructure and lithium to get them to become the dominant source of propulsion is simply not there.
I hope you're right. But those were simple business decision made by marketing and engineering people... This whole communist plan disguised as climate change is much more powerful. I hope it doesn't succeed.

rrrr

Reaction score
The Tahoe's value will be close to the historical norm on mass produced Chevrolets, about 40% of its new sale price. The current pricing support of used vehicles will not continue.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I hope you're right. But those were simple business decision made by marketing and engineering people... This whole communist plan disguised as climate change is much more powerful. I hope it doesn't succeed.

Electric cars will be mainstream eventually... I don't think it will be by 2035 though. The supply chain for lithium is not mature enough. The charging infrastructure will be building up still. The cost to charge on the road will have to skyrocket to support the infrastructure buildout.

rrrr

Reaction score
They have said the same thing about manual transmissions for the last 10 years, and they keep making them because there is still demand.
According to the link below, there are twenty one 2022 vehicles available with a manual transmission. Many of them are expensive. Some, like the BMW M Series, are performance models.

After looking at the list, I'm thinking I'd like to own a four door Civic Type R. The turbocharged 4 cylinder engine produces 305 HP and is mated to a six speed transmission. Sounds like a good HP to weight ratio, and would be fun to drive.

But Mother of God, it costs $40K. A BMW M4 is $75K. I'm pretty sure good ol' rrrr won't be buying a new car in this life.

😁

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
According to the link below, there are twenty one 2022 vehicles available with a manual transmission. Many of them are expensive. Some, like the BMW M Series, are performance models.

After looking at the list, I'm thinking I'd like to own a four door Civic Type R. The turbocharged 4 cylinder engine produces 305 HP and is mated to a six speed transmission. Sounds like a good HP to weight ratio, and would be fun to drive.

But Mother of God, it costs $40K. A BMW M4 is $75K. I'm pretty sure good ol' rrrr won't be buying a new car in this life.

😁

The new Civic SI does look fun, I looked at it too briefly. My DD is a manual and cost less than half that 3 years ago.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
These cars will be worth so much more in value if you do this.

Now you can show it to your wife and say see I saw it on RDP and then she will believe you and you can get your track hawk. 😁

spectras only

Reaction score
The Tahoe's value will be close to the historical norm on mass produced Chevrolets, about 40% of its new sale price. The current pricing support of used vehicles will not continue.
My 03 Navigator Ultimate with the better Intech 32V DOHC engine, msrp was 85K cdn. You can find them between 5-10K with less than 120-140K miles. Worse than 40% of new price!

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
These cars will be worth so much more in value if you do this.

Now you can show it to your wife and say see I saw it on RDP and then she will believe you and you can get your track hawk. 😁

It’s for her 😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My 03 Navigator Ultimate with the better Intech 32V DOHC engine, msrp was 85K cdn. You can find them between 5-10K with less than 120-140K miles. Worse than 40% of new price!

Those were among the worst.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Never had issues with the SUV. Only traded it in for the 2014 Ecobeast , b/c of the tow ratings to pull my TT. The Intech engine is different from the Triton, no plug thread problems.

Yea those 4 valve head castings were very similar to what was on the 05-06 Ford GT and the GT500.

ridebig

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Hellcat Durango and it’s a one year only build. I’m gonna drive it and enjoy it. I think it will hold it’s value better than the Trackhawk. JMO.