WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Winch cable...steel vs synthetic

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Never gave it much thought really but I run a steel cable, always have in my winches. The other day some yup in a jku decided to tell me that i needed to switch from steel to synthetic line. And that i can choose a color (seriously wtf)

Is this just another ploy to sell more crap to the mall crawler jeep crowd or am i missing something. I know certain events (that i would never do) require them but as long as you use a winch properly then i don't know what the issue could be.

Any opinions?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I've never used the winch cable on our boat, so I'm not sure why it matters. I have not seen steel cable on a winch since way back in the day on the east coast in salt water.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
In the SxS Industry most go with Synthetic due to ease of use and lack of danger if the cable breaks. I have steel cable on my Jeep and Synthetic on my SxS.

In the rocks a Synthetic Line is damaged if winching requires the line to be run over rocks in the process.

Chris
Devious PowerSports

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I've never used the winch cable on our boat, so I'm not sure why it matters. I have not seen steel cable on a winch since way back in the day on the east coast in salt water.

For a second i thought i may have posted this in the wrong section....i'm was posting about the winch on my zj :D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
In the SxS Industry most go with Synthetic due to ease of use and lack of danger if the cable breaks. I have steel cable on my Jeep and Synthetic on my SxS.

In the rocks a Synthetic Line is damaged if winching requires the line to be run over rocks in the process.

Chris
Devious PowerSports

I would imagine it started in the atv/SxS market, and i would be somewhat comfortable with its use there, but on a full size jeep no thanks.

Are towing companies looking towards converting from cable? The guy that talked to me was a dumbass and i got the impression that he cared more about looks rather than how easily my long armed zj could drive over his mall cruiser :D

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I am not aware of the tow industry going to Synthetic. There are several people running them on there Jeeps though....

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I have synthetic on my Jeep Unlimited Rubicon for weight savings and safety if it snaps. Steel is much heavier but no manufacturer suggests changing it out every 12 months. :yikes

If you keep synthetic clean and out of the sun, it should last longer than that, but Steel is a real workhorse in nasty environments.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you run real wire rope winch cable...it will be orders of magnitude stronger than the synthetic stuff....but most winches come with crap. My warn 9000 came with some sort of steel braid over a core of some kind that looked like wire rope but really wasn't. I respooled with synthetic...its light, works well, and won't cut you in half