WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Winch strap on extreme trailer

chonchisyque

Reaction score
So my winch strap lock broke on my 07 extreme trailer at site 6 of all places. Pulled boat and noticed it was off about 6inches. Backed up the boat and noticed the locking mechanism broke. I was able to set boat properly and put the boat straps on the launch ramp. LOL
I called extreme and they won't pick up,tried four times. What brand due you guys recommend I have a 230 cobra on the trailer I didn't take pics its stored in fort mohave.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I’m not saying you’re doing it, but I’m amazed at the number of people who winch their boats onto the trailer instead of putting the trailer in deeper. Lots of load on the winch and eye bolt. I see some guys using two hands and all their might.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m not saying you’re doing it, but I’m amazed at the number of people who winch their boats onto the trailer instead of putting the trailer in deeper. Lots of load on the winch and eye bolt. I see some guys using two hands and all their might.

That boat on that trailer has about a 2 inch window from either having the boat above the trailer floating all over the place when you winch it up, or you are using the winch to pull the entire boat up.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

I’m more amazed how many rely on a dry rotted winch strap to hold their 5000lb boat on the trailer and don’t have a safety bow chain as a backup.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
depending the angle of the ramp, we have to winch our 210. This past summer I started using "liquid rollers" spray on the upper portion of the bunks. huge difference.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
depending the angle of the ramp, we have to winch our 210. This past summer I started using "liquid rollers" spray on the upper portion of the bunks. huge difference.

Back in and get the bunks wet... and then pull forward to the correct depth. Does the same basic thing, but don't have to carry another bottle of magic juice.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Interesting topic. A couple of weekends ago, I was getting the boat secured to the trailer on the ramp and tightened the winch some when the handle just let go and the winch let the boat slide back some. Turns out the little gear (circled in red in the picture below) on the shaft attached to the handle is only secured with small splines that stripped out.

665079C4-4331-4EB8-8825-D38B4DEBD891.jpeg

I managed to secure the boat with a ratchet strap and get back to the house. Fortunately I have a welder there too and now that gear will never spin on that shaft again.

I always secure the bow hook to the trailer with a ratchet strap in addition to the winch strap, but for those of you who are using the winch strap only, you might want to reconsider. Not only could the strap break, of course, but something like the gear splines in my case or something else could let go and allow the whole mechanism to spin freely. That could mean your boat ends up off the trailer and in the middle of the street.

It was a good reminder to be using redundant straps to keep the boat in place.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
The other thing I see are people winching up their boat with several people still in it.

chonchisyque

Reaction score
Exactly what large orange front said. It can some times take me two or three times for the boat to sit properly on the bunks, they don't line up properly. Don't know if the previous owner fixed them himself or if they are the original ones from extreme.I was planning on changing the winch strap, bunks and the fenders on the off season.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Remember while on approach to drag the bow line in the water, have all four fenders out, sit all women and children in the open bow, position a responsible person on the bow with thier legs dangling over the front, pull 15 feet of winch strap out an crank the boat up to about 6 inches from the perch. Then burn rubber as you pull it out of the water with the drive in the down position. It's then best to start yelling at your significant other. Within minutes some good samaritans will tell you to to shut the f up, get in your truck and go home.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Remember while on approach to drag the bow line in the water, have all four fenders out, sit all women and children in the open bow, position a responsible person on the bow with thier legs dangling over the front, pull 15 feet of winch strap out an crank the boat up to about 6 inches from the perch. Then burn rubber as you pull it out of the water with the drive in the down position. It's then best to start yelling at your significant other. Within minutes some good samaritans will tell you to to shut the f up, get in your truck and go home.
I’ve met that guy, and a few of his close relatives.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I change my winch strap every 3-4 years. Seems the heat kills them. Sometimes I do have to crank the bait on, depending on who is wiping their boat down on the ramp.