WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Window debate! Thoughts?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this situation I’m going through with my contractor.

Bathroom is framed for window, but no window in sight. Window is in the plans.

IMG_0490.jpg

This is his response when I asked him.

IMG_0768.png

My response

IMG_0769.png

Shit all the things I caught that he would have had to fix later saved him money.

-Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0768.png
    IMG_0768.png
    333.1 KB · Views: 100

DaveTic

Reaction score
Small issue with a crappy response. If it were me I would pay the $150 and keep your contractor happy. I’m sure you will have bigger issues as you get further in the build. Save your fight for that. Just my opinion.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
that’s what I would do.. and I’d bring him donuts when I brought the 150 lol

Small issue with a crappy response. If it were me I would pay the $150 and keep your contractor happy. I’m sure you will have bigger issues as you get further in the build. Save your fight for that. Just my opinion.

I guess I’m just thinking of all the other things I had him fix because he forgot or failed to tell his subs.

What if I didn’t catch this and stucco and tile was on already. Who would pay for that fix?

white tortilla

Reaction score

x2. I’m a GC.
The window isn’t clear anymore on the plan. He thought it was gone. You didnt. No reason to tell him to basically get fucked. He said $150 for window, fair price. Shit happens. Put him out like that for something small he’s going to remember it later when u need a favor. If someone replied to me as the GC like that in an email I would definitely make mental note that next time he’s asking for a change I’ll make sure not to give any time or fee for free.

That’s why I only do referral business and work with people I want to. Don’t need owners making an already hard career, more stressful. Pick your teams wisely it makes all the difference.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
x2. I’m a GC.
The window isn’t clear anymore on the plan. He thought it was gone. You didnt. No reason to tell him to basically get fucked. He said $150 for window, fair price. Shit happens. Put him out like that for something small he’s going to remember it later when u need a favor. If someone replied to me as the GC like that in an email I would definitely make mental note that next time he’s asking for a change I’ll make sure not to give any time or fee for free.

That’s why I only do referral business and work with people I want to. Don’t need owners making an already hard career, more stressful. Pick your teams wisely it makes all the difference.

I don’t expect anything free. I’ll pay for it, if it’s an add from the original contract. What I don’t want to have to do is continually point out things that are wrong and than have someone give me some crappy answer. Like, “oh there not done yet” Am I not the customer?

I could have toned it down on the email., but when you have someone who sends passive aggressive emails constantly after asking nicely what’s going on I’m going to choose this battle.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
x2. I’m a GC.

That's my thought too.

Although I don't know the entire context here regarding thier relationship. If this is just the straw that broke the back type thing.

But dam I hate these types arguments. I'm in construction as well and reading rid post I instantly sided with the builder lol.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Been here a bit on some builds if you don't stand up to the GC you'lld be getting 150ed the whole time. And as stated 5-6weeks nope not gonna happen. To me that would be his way to deter you away from making it right.

For example this 4×8 piece of concrete cost $400 but GC forgot to add it in the concrete since it was a late add on. Whos fault?
20210224_091342.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
View attachment 976015

window is clearly marked on this set of plans. The plan with the handwritten notes when zoomed in, you can see someone drew a line through the window. Had to zoom in to see the black line over where the window should be, but only the note ‘tile shower’, nothing about window delete.

If it was me, I would also be triple checking the plans to make sure nothing else got changed. Plus I am with you, someone changed something without your sign off or notes.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I think you handled it perfectly. Don’t let the guy start to run over you, it won’t stop. My GC’s wouldn’t have even brought up a $150 change. I’ve seen guys that build a house get hosed because the GC doesn’t care about the relationship. You’re one guy, building one house he’s likely never going to do business with you again. If it’s a developer they have a chance of doing more work with they act totally different. Not saying this is always the case but I’ve seen some crazy shit. Like the GC’s dropping six figures worth of change orders on an owner after the project is complete.

C-2

Reaction score
Check the date and contents of the window order, maybe it will shed light on the confusion.

On face value, the homeowner is a layperson and is never responsible for a contractor’s poor paperwork. The window should have been removed by a change order, even if that change order was only a text, email or was written on a piece of scrap paper.

This is what happens when the contractor does not stay on his paperwork – it breaks trust and erodes the relationship. And, is the reason why the contractor is responsible for his paperwork; to prevent this from breakdown from happening in the first place.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'm a GC too and I would've said no problem and stuck a window in there. That's nothing on a large job.

Maybe I would roll my eyes during our phone call, but you'd get the window. A bath should have a window if it is on an exterior wall.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Well he is going to order the window. 6 to 8 weeks.

He said he can’t really move forward on the build without the window.

I just asked him to help me understand why a simple window is going to delay the house. The window opening is already framed in.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score

I just asked him to help me understand why a simple window is going to delay the house. The window opening is already framed in.

If that window is holding him up and doesn't have 10 other things on the job that need attention then some-ting-wrong with him.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Simonton and JeldWen should have it in two to three weeks. Milgard is seven weeks out.

waterhorse

Reaction score
Just eat the $150 and get the window installed. Also go with tile in the baths and showers fiberglass is crap in the long run.

hallett21

Reaction score
I have no idea what your relationship with the GC is l, so kind of hard to comment.

As far as the $150 that’s nothing and I would pay it to keep a fire under him.

Assuming there are no more changes or extras moving forward you saved $150.

He’ll get his $$$ back if there are any extras though. Just something to think about.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Simonton and JeldWen should have it in two to three weeks. Milgard is seven weeks out.

Thanks for that.

He is using Milgard. Had to look at the pictures to see what brand.

sirbob

Reaction score
You are going to have a bunch of these types of things come up - people always see things differently even when they are both trying to do the right thing.

The one thing I would not do is post about every issue that comes up - there will be others. Work in good faith and keep the project moving forward.

If the issues get seriously off base then you may have to make a legal issue out of it but those happen very rarely in my experience. And I’m sure you and he both would like to avoid that.

As I tell my kids - it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it that can make the difference every time.

DLC

Reaction score
If you as a home owner need to correct the GC, you should keep notes on your conversations and any issues with the GC dates times and what you talked about, if things go south you will have all the ammo to react.

the $150 bucks is nothing now! Having a window for years to come will be priceless!

if you draw the line now, your really going to pay that 10 fold later when the finish phase starts. So keep that in mind.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
lol you just increased the rates of anything down the road.

I just did a millgard sliding door in my house and it took like 4 weeks to get.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Here’s the response I’m going to talk to the wifey when she gets home.

IMG_0771.png

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Here’s the response I’m going to talk to the wifey when she gets home.

View attachment 976111

We do windows etc as well with our business model. Windows are 12-16 weeks out here...idk about in your area. It's not like its probably some off size window...ply gem is on the shelf at HD right now....

With a response like this I'd be tempted to tell him to fuck himself in no uncertain terms and put him in his place..he works for you right now..not the other way around. However if you do so, your house may get done some time in a year or two and don't expect any favors. I'd never speak like that to a client...ever...even if they were wrong, I probably would fire a rep if they did. It's a simple fix..and he sounds like a condescending prick. Pay the money and move on, or get your money back and move on.

Going to add: It sounds like you guys already have friction, and sometimes it's best to end that relationship before things get worse.

Last edited:

HCP3

Reaction score
Is it just me, or would this conversation have went better with a phone call rather then text?

I was going to say the same thing. Email conversations can go downhill real quick. Perfect example of that right here in this thread.

Last edited:

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I'm guessing there is more to the story.
You might take his offer, relationship is probably going to deteriorate further.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I know you'd like to walk away, but in this market you probably already have equity, and must really like the house and location, so probably best to try to smooth things out. Or not.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I think your email was fine until you typed "Pretty Deceptive". His response was valid since you used that phrase.

Yah in hindsight I should have toned it down.

motormonkey

Reaction score
I'd kiss his ass all day long. It seems like your stressed out and it is a simple fix. Plans changed from insert to tile in. The contractor is right on this in my opinion.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Lol good for him. He didn’t compromise his quality of work for your schedule.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I'd kiss his ass all day long. It seems like your stressed out and it is a simple fix. Plans changed from insert to tile in. The contractor is right on this in my opinion.

Lol good for him. He didn’t compromise his quality of work for your schedule.

So he failed to order a window and I shouldn’t be mad?

poncho

Reaction score

I'm doing a bathroom remodel right now and being 5,000 miles away while it's happening is frustrating to say the least. I had the same issue with a window being part of the deal, I started insisting on daily picture updates and when i saw no window and the toilet not being moved 12" like we discussed before I left I got pretty pissed off. I was given the same BS of take forever to get, hold up the job etc....I don't care.
Good friend is doing the job and said I didn't understand the logistics of where I wanted things and how they were going to over complicate things.
My house, my money I get what i asked for, end of story, we are cool now after a couple of day's back and forth.

Good luck to you
20201203_103035.jpg
Resized_20210204_150832.jpeg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Oh boy. I'd bypass the phone calls and texts and have a face to face. There needs to be mutual respect on both sides and right now it reads as if he is basically saying "If you question anything I do I will just drop you as a client and move on." Pretty much, I don't give a fuck, my way or the highway. That's not to say your initial "deceptive" comment didn't beg for a bit of a jaded response, but I believe his is going a bit overboard.

My question would be if he knew ahead of time and believed you signed on for a window delete, then why is it framed for a window?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
First the window was deleted *auth* with initials...

Then it was his fault for missing it on the draftmans plan because ? His 30 years screwing people over?

Just the mention of another mistake (obviously CTBA mentioned many other things that were missed and HE caught, saving the GC time and money) probably set this guy off, now he's expected to be more of a cunt and purposely delay the build, and ADD change order charges?

Most of you told him to just suck it up in the face of obvious incompetence, other wise he'll get the shaft....that's ok?

So contractors get a pass because they build houses, boat and auto techs are thieves when we get caught doing this shit....:mad:

motormonkey

Reaction score
So he failed to order a window and I shouldn’t be mad?

Is being mad helping you or hurting you? Shit happens, it's a small incovinence in the big picture.
I don't know when you two agreed to the change, but it doesn't matter for the $150. He's losing money by reframing.

white tortilla

Reaction score
After reading more info included. I’d say you probably picked the wrong GC for your investment. It’s not going to turn around now and be a positive experience without a sit down.

I wouldn’t have cried about the window as the GC and probably just figured it out. but if u want a matching Milgard window that’s not off the shelf I’d think 10 weeks is about right. I’m waiting for 5 months now on residential vinyl windows on my project and they are still a month away. Blaming Covid delays at factory. It has my plaster about 3 months behind shedule. But we are just doing everything else inside that we can get done in mean time.
20A932C1-B788-4EF8-A447-C1F60D5F9066.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Sounds like the GC was building this as a spec build to sell, you jumped on early and now are making some changes adding personal touches to your new home, things will slip thru the cracks, especially if everyone is super busy. Making changes during these busy times can cause delays like extended lead time on orders.

look thru your plans ASK questions and make sure you discuss what your expectations are with the GC and what the finished product will be

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Is being mad helping you or hurting you? Shit happens, it's a small incovinence in the big picture.
I don't know when you two agreed to the change, but it doesn't matter for the $150. He's losing money by reframing.

It’s framed already

IMG_0490.jpg

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Sorry had to scroll through build pics

hallett21

Reaction score
Lol ahh this is going to go well.

Devils advocate. Was the plan to do a full tile wall with no window?

Or full height fiberglass shower insert?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Lol ahh this is going to go well.

Devils advocate. Was the plan to do a full tile wall with no window?

Or full height fiberglass shower insert?

Pre signing of papers

Fiberglass shower insert.

Wanted tile shower. Did not mention window being removed.

Signed paperwork.