WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Windows 7 Home Group issues...

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
My parents got my daughter a new laptop for school. Acer Aspire M core i5, pretty nice machine. I instructed them to go with Win7 based on what I have heard here about win8. Anyway, home network is both wired and wireless. All PC's are Win7. All wired PC's were able to join the home group without issue. The laptop on the other hand errors when the password is entered "Windows cannot set up a home group on this computer". i've been working on this for 3 hours and I'm done. Any help would be appreciated. I have disabled all virus and firewall programs, set all the sharing options correct per the windows tutorials online. Everything is correct but no love. The laptop shows up in the network map but just will not join without an error.

I'm going to bed. Talk to you in the AM.

Thanks!:thumbsup

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Sorry, I wished I could help. Maybe someone like Brown could chime in and give it a shot.. Good luck with it.. Hope all is well with you..

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Bump for the am geeks, :D

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

C-2

Reaction score
What is your goal? To connect to the Internet, or be able to grab docs from other computers?

Your error message - are you trying to SETUP, or CONNECT. Have you tried connecting to the wired network?

Crap, I'm gonna have to run real soon here. I don't care to run my wireless laptop networked to my home network. but, I tried connecting to my home network and it was a no-go.

If that's the case, then it's a permissions problem. Win7 stepped up the security features but sometimes it's ghard to get around the "phantom" administrator, since usually, you/I are that person.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Trying to network mainly for printer access. The laptop has no problems connecting to the net through the router so we are good there

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Not setup, just connect to existing network in place for years

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Reading win7 forums again this AM. Looks like AVG may be the culprit. Even disabled it still blocks some networking. I'll try to uninstall and then try to join again. Report back later for anyone interested. :thumbup:

72Hondo

Reaction score
If its just for printer access why not connect to the printer directly through its IP address on the network?

Is it by chance a brother? They make it super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
It's an HP5p laser with 130k pages thru it, lol. Runs like a clock.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
The Canon on the other hand would be easy, but the laser is great for school papers. We use both.

72Hondo

Reaction score
All my computers are linked to one printer through the network. "Network" doesn't necessarily mean two computers linked together, it's everything linked through a common thing I.E. router.

How are the printers connected? Are they wired or wireless to a single machine? If you run an Ethernet cable from the printer straight to the router, you've just put it on the network. Other wise you'll have to connect to the computer that's wired to the printer.

If its a wireless router you can set up each computer with wireless access to access the printer without any cables I.e print from the laptop in the living room and have it come out in another room.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Can other machines print wirelessly to the hp5?

Go into the admin page on the router and find out what IP address it was assigned by the router, write it down.

Go into the add printer settings and add a Local printer, uncheck the auto detect, and add new port, TCP/IP, Type in the IP address in the location box. You should now be able to "talk" to the printer via the IP address. Now there're a ton of variables so a full walk through maybe be in order by searching google.

Last edited:

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
The 5p is a dinosaur. It has a parallel printer cable that I had to buy an adapter for and convert it to usb. The usb connects to my desktop which is on the home group. It is not a wireless printer.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I'll try the router method you mentioned. Thanks :thumbup:

C-2

Reaction score
Well crap, got mine working. But, I noticed my desktop was flagging for "More than one homegroup" found in the map.

Although the computer names were different, I had my "Computer description" on both computers blank. So I changed them both to match the actual computer name. Rebooted both machines. Then I entered the Homegroup password from my wireless laptop, into the join homegroup on my desktop and after a minute or so my desktop joined, and now I have access to the laptop and another desktop. I thought the process would be reversed (use the password from my desktop), but I think the multiple homegroups was the reason i could do it that way.

The computer description name can be found under the Advanced System settings tab of System Informatiomn

start/right click on the "computer" tab/advanced system settings/Computer name tab/change then apply

My network is jacked, lol, but it's working.

If that doesn't work, amke sure you are using the password from one of the "Joined" computers, try them all.

Don't forget to reboot when you make changes to the network settings.

How did the AVG uninstall go? I didn't catch it in time, but Revo free uninstaller would have been good for that, or if you already did it, try CCleaner to cleanup the remaining registry entries it might have left behind.

good luck with it John, let us know.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Sorry, I wished I could help. Maybe someone like Brown could chime in and give it a shot.. Good luck with it.. Hope all is well with you..

yes lets see brown in action...

72Hondo

Reaction score
I'll try the router method you mentioned. Thanks :thumbup:

The IP thing won't work becuase its attatched to a computer and doesnt have it's own IP address. You would have to connect to the printer through that computer.

I know with XP when youy created a home netowrk it would create an install disc for the other computers. I'm guessing Win 7 does not.

Sorry havent played with Windows 7 too much.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
The IP thing won't work becuase its attatched to a computer and doesnt have it's own IP address. You would have to connect to the printer through that computer.

I know with XP when youy created a home netowrk it would create an install disc for the other computers. I'm guessing Win 7 does not.

Sorry havent played with Windows 7 too much.

You have to use the IP of the computer and the name of the printer to get to it when it is attached to another PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Have not had time to uninstall the AVG yet. Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to report back when I get the AVG off. If AVG is the issue, I'll just buy Kaspersky and ditch the AVG:thumbsup

BigQ

Reaction score
Make sure the Windows Firewall service is set to run even if you use AVG Suite and also use advance sharing and make sure that network discovery is on, File and print sharing is on and Allow windows to control Homegroup is set. If you change any of these setting reboot and try to reconnect. The main thing is the firewall service needs to be active even if you use the AVG suite because of the Microsoft/Windows interaction.

If the machine sharing the print is the same OS the drivers should be there. Unless they are different bit version. Example; if the sharing machine has the x86 drivers and the new machine is x64 you will need the 64 bit drivers first. If they are both x86 no issues.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Yupp, already did all that. Was in first post. This is a very common bug. It's all over the web. I'm thinking avg is the issue.