WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Windshield Repair

Meaney77

Reaction score
The Hauler thread got me thinking....

The last time on our way to the river I took a rock to my windshield in my motor home and it spider cracked about the size of a silver dollar. I was going to call Safelite about getting the crack repaired rather than replacing the windshield.

Has anyone had any experience with Safelite or any other company? Is there a better option? I have heard Safelite fills the crack from further cracking but its still noticeable...?

KevinR

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your direct hit.

I have used Safelite to replace few windshields and have found the techs to be efficient and competent. And the fact they come to you is a real bonus.

In January I took a rock on a car I just leased and with the lease I have insurance coverage for rock chips, paint dents and scratches, interior issues, etc,

A Safelite tech came out and repaired the three little crack lines, about quarter size. Could just barely see anything in the perfect angle. All was fine for 3 months but then I noticed the cracks starting to reappear little by little. I guess the resin or whatever material is used to fill the cracks eroded away with rain, wipers and washing.

When the Safelite tech came to the house to repair, he said they cannot re repair a previously damaged spot. Something about windshield integrity.

I imagine you will get others to provide their experiences as this is a pretty common repair. I’ll be interested in hearing from them too, to see if their repairs were permanent or not.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

The last time on our way to the river I took a rock to my windshield in my motor home and it spider cracked about the size of a silver dollar. I was going to call Safelite about getting the crack repaired rather than replacing the windshield.

Has anyone had any experience with Safelite or any other company? Is there a better option? I have heard Safelite fills the crack from further cracking but its still noticeable...?
I had Safelite fix a small crack. Couldn’t tell It was ever cracked. Check on how big a crack they will fix. My was about the size of a quarter and I think that’s as big as they will fix. Not positive though.

pixrthis

Reaction score

Has anyone had any experience with Safelite or any other company? Is there a better option? I have heard y fills the crack from further cracking but its still noticeable...?

When they tried to fix my wife’s car it cracked all the way so I had to have it replaced

69hondo

Reaction score
I had them fix a mt motorhome windshield and they did a good job.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Secret to a small star/ spider crack repair...

My rule is if it's the size of a thumb or smaller you can use this approach... get some bearing grease, put a good amount on, let it sit in direct sunlight for a few days, it bleeds in and pretty much seals it. Works best for some reason on hotter days. After a few days, all you typically see is the pin sized impact point and maybe a faint crack/slit.. old trick my Brother taught me from his mechanic days in the 80s...

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The sooner you repair a star the better the result. You want it to be as clean as possible, like anything else you glue.
Couple swipes of the wipers is no bueno before a repair.
I added glass coverage on my car policies for almost nothing annually($5-8). Star repairs cost nothing and replacement is not much more than it costs for lunch.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Do everyone in the auto glass industry a favor and call a locally owned repair and replacement facility and patronize them.

Belron/Safelite is the walmart of auto glass, so if thats what you are happy with then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
Do everyone in the auto glass industry a favor and call a locally owned repair and replacement facility and patronize them.

Belron/Safelite is the walmart of auto glass, so if thats what you are happy with then go for it.

Thanks for the great advice, I just found a local mom and pop type shop and they will be here in the morning to fix!

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice, I just found a local mom and pop type shop and they will be here in the morning to fix!

Nice! Hopefully they’ll gain a customer for life.

Turnup

Reaction score
Airtight Auto Glass (805) 558-6060 Tim, he's about as down home and local as it gets in the 805 👍