WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Winter 21' Daytona Project

RiverJeff

Reaction score
Well RDP here is a new winter project. 1994 21' Daytona jet is going through a full refurbish.

The project list includes:

Exterior
- Gel coat color sand and polish
- Rubrail replaced
- KMG Boats in San Diego will be performing the work

Interior
- Original interior still has good vinyl so it will be cleaned and go back
- Rear hatch wood will be replaced
- Dash trim molding replaced
- Billet hardware re-powder coated (color probably changed from teal to black)
- New carpet

Trailer
- Extreme is working on a new trailer
- Thinking color will be black with fenders and steps painted metallic teal (thoughts examples?)

Jet
- The pump was in pretty good shape so only a refresh of gaskets/bearings while its out
- Powder coat black

Here are a few before pictures - hopefully some progress pictures to come soon.

1 - 1.jpg
1 - 2.jpg
1 - 3.jpg
1 - 4.jpg
1 - 5.jpg
1 - 6.jpg

RiverJeff

Reaction score
Its been a couple weeks getting through the Christmas / New Year break so now back to work! Here is an update on the trailer... Extreme is doing a great job, so far the base trailer is welded up the pop-out steps on the back they fab'd up look pretty cool.

Enjoy the photos let me know if you guys have done any upgrades to your trailers that should be on this one.

20180104_145304.jpg
20180104_145321.jpg
20180104_145343.jpg
20180104_145351.jpg

RiverJeff

Reaction score
Project Update: The Hull Is Back

Kevin and his crew at KMG Custom Boats did an unbelievable job color sanding and polishing the 21' Daytona! They also replaced the aluminum rub rail with a new vinyl piece, replaced the dash molding, tackled the carpet, and fixed wood rot on the rear hatch. All work done on time and excellent workmanship. I would highly recommend them for any work you need done. Thanks Kevin!

http://www.kmgboats.com

Here are a few pics of the gel coat.

1 - 1 (1).jpg
1 - 2 (1).jpg
1 - 3 (1).jpg
1 - 4 (1).jpg
1 - 5 (1).jpg
1 - 6 (1).jpg

lenmann

Reaction score
Its been a couple weeks getting through the Christmas / New Year break so now back to work! Here is an update on the trailer... Extreme is doing a great job, so far the base trailer is welded up the pop-out steps on the back they fab'd up look pretty cool.

Enjoy the photos let me know if you guys have done any upgrades to your trailers that should be on this one.

View attachment 611604 View attachment 611605 View attachment 611606 View attachment 611607
So I see Extreme doesn't have the hull while they are building the trailer. Do they build from a plan/blue print or did they have the hull for measurements before it went to KMG?

Looks great btw.

RiverJeff

Reaction score
So I see Extreme doesn't have the hull while they are building the trailer. Do they build from a plan/blue print or did they have the hull for measurements before it went to KMG?

Looks great btw.

Lenmann -

You are correct Extreme is building the trailer without the boat. They took the order pretty much over the phone and have the specs for a lot of the more popular molds. When I was up there they had a bunch of completed trailers for Centurion and some of the larger Eliminators. They are also the trailer of choice for KMG's custom builds.

Their plan is to make the trailer swap at their shop and final fit things like fenders once the trailer is done.

And thank you both I like the progress so far...

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
That thing shines good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.P.

Reaction score
Gelcoat really came back good work KMG.

RiverJeff

Reaction score
Wow good catch it has been a very busy couple of months. Here is an update (scroll down for more).

Extreme did an amazing job on the new trailer. We painted black with teal steps and fenders. I went with 18” wheels flat black. This looks and tows so much better than the Competitive did.

20180213_134953.jpg
20180213_135004.jpg
IMG_3951.jpg
IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3986.jpg
IMG_3990.jpg

The engine got a simple dress up black paint and due to a broken bolt resulting in dropped motor during the lift a new Milodon jet boat pan went on along with pick up. It does clear the bottom of the boat but barely.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg

B1 Racing in Anaheim built a flex plate cover and top mount starter which will hopefully is a lot stiffer than the one that came with the boat. The issue was the pedestal would let the starter flex up and jump the teeth of the flexplate grinding both gears. This is bolted to the rear rail mount and should solve the problem. Plus a custom size starter from IMT.

B1 had the pump, rail kit, and aluminum rigging hardware sent to powder coat gloss black. I assembled the pump with just a rebuild kit (someone before me already dressed the bowl and added a stuffer plate). Pump was mounted to the intake.

IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg

I started off chasing a couple bad wires and ended up redoing a lot of the system. I added a fuse block and ran independent circuits for each system (lights, speakers, amps, blower, bilge, etc…). This I think is better than everything running to a single 50amp breaker as was original. Many late nights with a solder gun and heat shrink!

All control cables were replaced with a new rack and pinion set up, fwd/rev, and throttle. The hydraulic pump is a new unit since the last one leaked. Don’t need ATF on my new carpet.

IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0475.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

I made a new transom plate hand shaped with my new least favorite tool, the hand rasp.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg

RiverJeff

Reaction score
Here is where I am at now. I have a final parts bin at powder coat with the transom hardware and seat mounts. When that is back I am close to mounting the seats and sealing up the back end. Long process (especially when you throw a house renovation in the mix) but hoping to test after Memorial Day.

IMG_0636.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0638.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg

RiverJeff

Reaction score
First Start Up!

Time for another update. Yesterday we were able to light it off for the first time in over a year.

The transom is pretty much wrapped up. Swim steps now powered black are on, along with handles and hardware. The black really modernizes the 90s teal - makes it pop (good suggestion from KMG!). Out back just need to rig up a support for the ride plate and the transom should be done.

Inside I upgraded the sound with bluetooth and new amps the boat is now an overcomplicated bluetooth speaker... Sounds decent though.

Need to drop the seats in and put the windshield back on and getting close to a water test.

Any recommendations for custom exhaust company in San Diego? I need a 4" pipe to run from back of headers to the transom. There is a ~3" inset from tip to tip.

IMG_1061.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg

96motorhead

Reaction score
It looks like you have lightning headers, I would just go to them since they are in lake Elsinore.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Nice work.
Good to see the older Daytonas getting some much needed love.

Backlash

Reaction score
Man nice job!! The boat turned out fantastic!!

RiverJeff

Reaction score
Well I cant seem to leave well enough alone. The Daytona is getting another update.

Eddie Martinez at Martinez Marine Interiors is currently working his magic with a new interior set up for the 1994 classic. Out with the old in with the new, the ‘90s theme gel coat is pretty hard to pair an interior to with updated style while not looking out of place. We are trying to keep the Tealy Dealy vibe while brining the boat into the 2020s. I think Martinez Marine is doing a great job at this!

The package is full new interior, front buckets, rear bench, side panels and engine hatch. Plus some gel coat work, new windshield, and boat cover.

The buckets are mid-height back for more support and side bolstering for modern fit. Back seat is faux individual seat setup with stitching to look like individual buckets but keeping the foam flat for practicality (small bench).

A major update is coming with the engine hatch. The original hatch was an open engine which is cool but the drone 45 minutes up river and back gets old for the back passengers. This new hatch is fully enclosing the engine with a fiberglass scoop for the Dominator carb. This is a challenging piece, I didn’t want a really tall engine hatch but the transom on these Daytona’s is pretty low. To get the cover to shrink down we are letting the carb and linkage poke out the top and covering with the scoop. Eddie likes the challenge and what Im seeing so far is looking sleek. Cant wait to see it in the boat.

Martinez Marine does gel coat work too (for those who don’t know). Im having them close the old radio rectangle (new bluetooth controller down low), and close up the cup holders on the dash. Also going GPS speedo so the old pressure tube hole on transom is getting closed.

Thats where the boat is now, interior pieces are getting a couple finishing touches, the hull is in fiberglass and windshield is in production. Next update should be with interior in the boat. Stay tuned…. And if you need any interior or gel work call Martinez Marine first!
IMG_3865.jpeg
IMG_3867.jpeg
IMG_3873.jpeg
IMG_3876.jpeg
IMG_3877.jpeg
IMG_3879.jpeg
IMG_3880.jpeg
IMG_3881.jpeg
IMG_3883.jpeg
IMG_3884.jpeg
IMG_4075.jpeg
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4077.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg
IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4081.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg

Duramax

Reaction score
Well I cant seem to leave well enough alone. The Daytona is getting another update.

Eddie Martinez at Martinez Marine Interiors is currently working his magic with a new interior set up for the 1994 classic. Out with the old in with the new, the ‘90s theme gel coat is pretty hard to pair an interior to with updated style while not looking out of place. We are trying to keep the Tealy Dealy vibe while brining the boat into the 2020s. I think Martinez Marine is doing a great job at this!

The package is full new interior, front buckets, rear bench, side panels and engine hatch. Plus some gel coat work, new windshield, and boat cover.

The buckets are mid-height back for more support and side bolstering for modern fit. Back seat is faux individual seat setup with stitching to look like individual buckets but keeping the foam flat for practicality (small bench).

A major update is coming with the engine hatch. The original hatch was an open engine which is cool but the drone 45 minutes up river and back gets old for the back passengers. This new hatch is fully enclosing the engine with a fiberglass scoop for the Dominator carb. This is a challenging piece, I didn’t want a really tall engine hatch but the transom on these Daytona’s is pretty low. To get the cover to shrink down we are letting the carb and linkage poke out the top and covering with the scoop. Eddie likes the challenge and what Im seeing so far is looking sleek. Cant wait to see it in the boat.

Martinez Marine does gel coat work too (for those who don’t know). Im having them close the old radio rectangle (new bluetooth controller down low), and close up the cup holders on the dash. Also going GPS speedo so the old pressure tube hole on transom is getting closed.

Thats where the boat is now, interior pieces are getting a couple finishing touches, the hull is in fiberglass and windshield is in production. Next update should be with interior in the boat. Stay tuned…. And if you need any interior or gel work call Martinez Marine first!
View attachment 907378 View attachment 907380 View attachment 907381 View attachment 907382 View attachment 907383 View attachment 907384 View attachment 907385 View attachment 907386 View attachment 907387 View attachment 907388 View attachment 907389 View attachment 907390 View attachment 907391 View attachment 907392 View attachment 907393 View attachment 907394 View attachment 907395
I messaged you on IG!! This is exactly what I want to do with my interior on my 21 this winter. I have some questions for you!! Also, what are you do with the windshield? Mine is black and I hate it, so I am going to have Jay @ OC make me a smoked one, but also add 1.5 or 2" to the height of it. Also, I just posted a question in the lounge, can you check and see what fuel senders you have? We have the same guages (my speedo looked like yours) but my stb side sender is leaking fuel when the take is topped off. Great project man. I love mine.

RiverJeff

Reaction score
I messaged you on IG!! This is exactly what I want to do with my interior on my 21 this winter. I have some questions for you!! Also, what are you do with the windshield? Mine is black and I hate it, so I am going to have Jay @ OC make me a smoked one, but also add 1.5 or 2" to the height of it. Also, I just posted a question in the lounge, can you check and see what fuel senders you have? We have the same guages (my speedo looked like yours) but my stb side sender is leaking fuel when the take is topped off. Great project man. I love mine.

The windshield was original and was starting to crack so we are going to replace it. I chose to go smoke rather than the black to update a bit and were keeping the hight the same. In these boats you sit higher than the windshield anyway so sunglasses required. I hadn't thought of making it taller but maybe that will help with the wind a bit. I'd think about getting in and out, the driver/pass tend to climb over the windshield on the side.

I have the Gaffrig sensors but Im going to change out the gauges with the interior so probably will need new senders too.

Ill send you a PM on here responding to your IG questions. And thank you I am excited to see the final product!!