WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Winter maintenance run

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Heading out to Havasu solo this afternoon, to get some things tightened up on our rig. Might launch on Friday if its above 65

9F19EED1-AC10-4A57-AB62-80E24BF90885.jpeg
519EACDF-0B9E-4C1A-B1EC-12E3F2F74746.jpeg

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Good looking ride. So hard to not launch after driving all the way out there.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Getting service done on Friday. Going to dip it Saturday. After all this heat, now it’s cold. Bringing an extra jacket now.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I actually run my boat once before I do all the maintenance, just to make sure everything still works... and it makes it easier to change the oil.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I actually run my boat once before I do all the maintenance, just to make sure everything still works... and it makes it easier to change the oil.

How long to do you go not using it? We took ours out during the ballon festival.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How long to do you go not using it? We took ours out during the ballon festival.
5 months at most in a garage in LHC. I leave the tanks at about 1/4 to 1/3 full with stabilizer in them. I will fill it with fresh gas, and go run it around the lake. My main concern is just burning the condensation out of the oil, so I am easy on it for the first few mins until the oil gets some temp in it. I change the oil that night while it is still warm and easy to suck out, and do the fuel filter and water separating filter the next day along with whatever else needs done.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
54152886938__8D4108DB-343B-43CA-B45B-27CC24BB2D71.jpeg

54152883440__8D6F9395-FB3F-4673-BA05-835B2A336192.jpeg

Don’t think I’ll be on the water any time soon lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
5 months at most in a garage in LHC. I leave the tanks at about 1/4 to 1/3 full with stabilizer in them. I will fill it with fresh gas, and go run it around the lake. My main concern is just burning the condensation out of the oil, so I am easy on it for the first few mins until the oil gets some temp in it. I change the oil that night while it is still warm and easy to suck out, and do the fuel filter and water separating filter the next day along with whatever else needs done.

Flat tops is getting mine tomorrow afternoon and hopefully have it done by EOD Friday as there is a small list.
Then Saturday for run, then put away till our easter trip at pirates cove.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Too lean? Bad injector? It does not look like it was detonating a ton.

@doneitagain In April I will have owned it for 2 years.

@LargeOrange

Long story short, I’ve had an issue with it getting on plane pretty much since I bought it. I played with a bunch of different props and it helped but never solved the issue. I thought it was the tuning as I was told it had a “safe tune” (bought it with maybe 3 hours on the rebuild). Still didn’t solve the issue.

Prior shop I used said all was well after every service (usually did two a year). Finally brought it to a new shop (so cal speed and marine) and Mario fired it right up and said it didn’t sound right. To me it sounded just fine but he said to the untrained ear it sounds perfect but to him, not so much.

Pulled the plugs and #1 cylinder plug looked brand new, and it had been in since the last service. Did a compression test and cylinder 1 had zero compression.

Mario said the #1 exhaust push rod was out of the lifter wedges between the lifter and the block. Exhaust valve was hung open. Piston hit the valve and bent the valve. I think it’s been like that for a while and the other shop never caught wind of it

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Flat tops is getting mine tomorrow afternoon and hopefully have it done by EOD Friday as there is a small list.
Then Saturday for run, then put away till our easter trip at pirates cove.

Ill be at Flat Tops Thursday morning.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Any major damage? That really sucks..I bet it will get on plane when you get it back :)

DWC

Reaction score
@doneitagain In April I will have owned it for 2 years.

@LargeOrange

Long story short, I’ve had an issue with it getting on plane pretty much since I bought it. I played with a bunch of different props and it helped but never solved the issue. I thought it was the tuning as I was told it had a “safe tune” (bought it with maybe 3 hours on the rebuild). Still didn’t solve the issue.

Prior shop I used said all was well after every service (usually did two a year). Finally brought it to a new shop (so cal speed and marine) and Mario fired it right up and said it didn’t sound right. To me it sounded just fine but he said to the untrained ear it sounds perfect but to him, not so much.

Pulled the plugs and #1 cylinder plug looked brand new, and it had been in since the last service. Did a compression test and cylinder 1 had zero compression.

Mario said the #1 exhaust push rod was out of the lifter wedges between the lifter and the block. Exhaust valve was hung open. Piston hit the valve and bent the valve. I think it’s been like that for a while and the other shop never caught wind of it

Damn that Fn sucks. Hard to believe people do that shit to each other. Hope the rebuild goes quick and isn’t too painful.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Any major damage? That really sucks..I bet it will get on plane when you get it back :)

I cannot figure out how to multi-quote (you and DWC). In two seasons, I have put no more than 40hrs on the boat. Therefore, that means there would be roughly 40hrs on the rebuild. Mario said the wear in the cylinder walls looks like it has more than that. He is going to hone the walls, replace the rings, springs, lifters, etc.

Update from the original post. He pulled the motor and opened it up. He said the valve didn't look bent/damaged and noted that it didn't the piston so at least there is that. He is going to check the valve anyways to make sure. If there is damage, I will replace them all. All in all, I got lucky that it didn't rattle around in there or really mess anything up. It somehow came disconnected but then stayed in place.

I am not excited about it but at the same time, he pretty much guaranteed me that it was the reason I couldn't get on plane (boat would rev past 2000-2200 until it planed out) so I am happy about that.

Reactions: DWC

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
it's wintertime. . . name the other shop and let the festival begin!!!

Was waiting for this Haha.

I mean, I’m not necessarily calling them out, they just didn’t catch the issue. I never even thought to check the plugs to see what they looked like before they were changed each time. I just needed a fresh set of “eyes” and it seemed to pay off

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
In addition to dropping the boat off a Flat Tops, I went by Nordic to see if they could handle a small cosmetic repair to the underside of my hatch.

John came out and quickly assesed the job. He had a couple of guys remove the hatch and told me that he would possibly have it done in two days! Impressed so far by the way I was treated at Nordic.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Was waiting for this Haha.

I mean, I’m not necessarily calling them out, they just didn’t catch the issue. I never even thought to check the plugs to see what they looked like before they were changed each time. I just needed a fresh set of “eyes” and it seemed to pay off

Mario is a great guy, you owe it to the forum to let us know who didn't "catch" this. . .LoL

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yea that thing is going to rip when you get it back. I don’t think you’ll want to sell it.

Looking at that cylinder wall, it does not look like “just” 40 hours of use to me either. But yea, all things considered you got pretty lucky compared to what could have happened.

But if the engine was rebuilt just to sell the boat, I could see corners perhaps being cut.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
In addition to dropping the boat off a Flat Tops, I went by Nordic to see if they could handle a small cosmetic repair to the underside of my hatch.

John came out and quickly assesed the job. He had a couple of guys remove the hatch and told me that he would possibly have it done in two days! Impressed so far by the way I was treated at Nordic.

That is awesome. I need to get some stuff on my hatch fixed so maybe I will drop by there as well.