WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Winterizing a 4 stroke Mercury 115 CT

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I saw the other thread about winterizing, but it was mainly for a 2 stroke.

It doesn't get super cold here in west TN, but still do not want to risk anything.

Questions.

Full tank of fuel or empty? I have marine stabil in it already with a full tank. We will be running all this weekend for our last weekend with it on the water. ( have to head to Florida for the winter) Can use all of the fuel if better empty or fill it up. We have only used ethanol free fuel.

Change the oil before winter or do it in the spring before putting it in the water.

Drain lower unit to make sure no water in it, Is it better to leave empty and fill in the spring or add it now?

Do I need to fog the cylinders?

Put battery on a tender?

Anything I am missing?

stingray11

Reaction score
Change the oil and filter before winter same as lower unit you could have water in it, and absolutely do not leave your gear case empty over winter it needs the oil in it to protect bearings, gears, shafts. And the fuel tank if you can keep the boat inside where there's not a huge temperature swings, you can leave it where it's at , if it is stored outside then I would fill it to prevent condensation. I would not fog a fuel injected motor can be hard on the injector tips but you can pull the plugs and squirt a little fogger in the cylinders if you want to but I don't think it's necessary

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

HST4ME

Reaction score
Use Marine Stabil, never ever leave a lower unit empty. Change the oil and park it.

84miller

Reaction score
I suggest all of the above, plus drop the engine trim all the way down. Actually engine should be dropped every time it is parked for any length of time.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Drop the motor...ie,,,down positing, why? even for 2 stroke?
Thanks