WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wireless home routers

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Looking to get rid of my Fios rental wireless router and just buy a decent one.
Any thoughts a decent one for home use?

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Cox is service provider.
I run the following

NetGear CM 1000. Ultralight high speed cable modem

NetGear Orbi Pro AC 3000 router and satellites

It’s a couple years old but has been flawless.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Cox is service provider.
I run the following

Will that modem work with sudden link cable?

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Cox is service provider.
I run the following

I don’t pretend to know what any of these numbers mean. But ran a quick speed test. I have 28 connected devices at the moment.

IMG_0771.jpg

Hypnautic

Reaction score

I have honestly no idea.
Picked it up at Frys. Told the guy my ISP and he showed me what would work. Took a day to research pros/cons and went back next day to buy.
Best Buy and Amazon also sell it.
It was easy enough for me to set up without any assistance though.

Sharpy

Reaction score
I don’t pretend to know what any of these numbers mean. But ran a quick speed test. I have 28 connected devices at the moment.

View attachment 1023430

That’s fast!

I use a Surfboard modem and a Nighthawk X6. The SB is about 6 years old but still does the job well. Anyone know of a better modem these days that’s compatible with Xfinity?

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I have honestly no idea.
Picked it up at Frys. Told the guy my ISP and he showed me what would work. Took a day to research pros/cons and went back next day to buy.
Best Buy and Amazon also sell it.
It was easy enough for me to set up without any assistance though.
I would have thought you would have to use a Cox modem to use their cable feed..

btaco35

Reaction score
Tech Radar: Best Routers Pick one within budget from this list, hard to go wrong.

I use SMB enterprise equipment at home due to continued threats from abroad. It’s not cheap, but is cheap insurance.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I run the Eero system and it works pretty welI. I only pay for 200mbps through spectrum and get a little extra butter. Makes me feel better, lol.

EB715BBE-13E6-489A-9E6B-0AD5D75700A5.png

dspracing

Reaction score
I picked up a Netgear nighthawk system from Costco to replace my failing Asus. I was really happy with the performance as well as the app that allowed you to monitor the main unit plus the satellites.

Definitely look into the mesh type systems as opposed to the single point routers.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Ethernet cable desk top. Yes I'm over paying for 100mbs.. LOL

11700628234.png

Reactions: DWC

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Cox is service provider.
I run the following

Cox lives up to their name. Just a different spelling.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Actually any docsis 3.02 modem will work. Provided its cable modem and not dsl

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Talk to me about these mesh systems…looks like 3 or so units? Does only one plug into the router? How do you hook ‘em up? My “office” is in the farthest room away from the router and I get shit WiFi in there.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Talk to me about these mesh systems…looks like 3 or so units? Does only one plug into the router? How do you hook ‘em up? My “office” is in the farthest room away from the router and I get shit WiFi in there.

I have the orbi 6 mesh. You plug the “router”unit into the the modem and the 2-3 “sat” units around the house in a outlet. The main unit will find the others. So when you walk around the home you start using the closes/stronger “sat” unit automatically.

Ladsm

Reaction score
No router in the world can make SuddenDeath cable reliable and stay connected for more than 4 hours.

samsah33

Reaction score
Eero 3 node system (I think it's the Eero 6 model). Big house, the 3 nodes cover front of house, back of house, and outside/garage. Have Spectrum cable. Happy with the Eero, super easy to set up.

C-2

Reaction score
I always rent/lease the modem, if it tanks then you get a new one. Or if it's outdated, you get a new one.

If you buy one, you're stuck with it and your ISP may argue about providing tech support since it's not their modem.

Cost wise - it's a wash, in the end a modem will last a few years. Admittedly, my modem is past the 3-year mark, so maybe they will last longer.

I have a small house so my regular Buffalo router works fine. I bought it because of the management console and having the ability to control the Internet (teenager in the house) thru the modem interface without having to subscribe to a similar app/software service thru the ISP or a third party.

I think the mesh systems are the way to go. Just like cell phones, which are radios that jump from cell tower to cell tower as you drive down the road, your devices will jump from access to point to access point based on strength of the signal. Makes sense.

Security wise - 99% of the equipment will not get hacked. No matter what type of equipment you have, it's the human that's the weak link.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I rented my modem from Spectrum at $7 a month for 4 years. It began to go out so I called Spectrum. A service tech came out and said since I didn't buy their insurance package, a new one would cost me $139. The tech said, "Let me save you some money", got on Amazon and found the exact replacement for $28. After realizing that they got me for $400 renting their piece of shit, I went out and got the mesh system. This saves me $7 a month, and I'm sure I've already paid for it using their money.

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
I rented my modem from Spectrum at $7 a month for 4 years. It began to go out so I called Spectrum. A service tech came out and said since I didn't buy their insurance package, a new one would cost me $139. The tech said, "Let me save you some money", got on Amazon and found the exact replacement for $28. After realizing that they got me for $400 renting their piece of shit, I went out and got the mesh system. This saves me $7 a month, and I'm sure I've already paid for it using their money.

Well crap, I wonder when they started the insurance deal? I have Spectrum too but I don't see any modem rental fee on mine. I will call them, the bill is too high anyways.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Well crap, I wonder when they started the insurance deal? I have Spectrum too but I don't see any modem rental fee on mine. I will call them, the bill is too high anyways.
A few months after I bought my house (Sept 20), my Spectrum started going to s***. They sent out a tech the next day, and he was very friendly and nice, and replaced everything from the (underground) Service drop into the house, including the router.

Service was good for a week, then it started going downhill again. The next guy they sent out was also very nice and helpful, and replaced the modem and splitter, as well as the outside connection to the service box in the alley. So far so good, but next time Charter fucks up I'm going to Frontier fiber.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk