WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

With a little help from my friends .... NAME THIS NEW BOAT

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
YES, I did see the 'flat spot' along the rail in the second photo . It will be corrected when I get back to the glass shop .............

JRider

Reaction score
For the record you know how I feel. You got the short end of the stick from that pos. he's got a couple loose screws though so i wouldn't expect any different.[emoji106] keep doing your thing. Karma has already and will continue to get him.

There's the name...K12 Mini (K is for Karma)

AzGeo

Reaction score
I'm just reading 'K12' and thinking Kindergarten - 12th grade ..... HA HA

Went by the shop, marked off the 'high and low spots' along that side of the plug . Rather fix it now, than to repair and straighten every one of them while the 'cap' is being finished on every boat .

It's 3.69 meters long . "M 3.6", "M 3.69", "GN 3.69", "GN 3.6", just don't know what to name it .......

JRider

Reaction score
AZG12 or go all metric on us :thumbup:

AzGeo

Reaction score
We could call it The BOMB, then everyone that drives one would be on the BOMB SQUAD ....... HA HA

AzGeo

Reaction score
with a name like that ?

Hyperpasta

Reaction score
Names?

Sport Fusion

Skedaddle Sport

Skipper Mini

Sunrise Mini

Motorad Mini

Trepid Mini

Crest Runner Mini

Rooster Mini

Wave Blade Jr

Etc.

AzGeo

Reaction score
I'll put them on the list .......

AzGeo

Reaction score
Working on the last areas before final 'prime, block and finish' .

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9692.jpg
    IMG_9692.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9694.jpg
    IMG_9694.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_9696.jpg
    IMG_9696.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 139

AzGeo

Reaction score
That bottom will never work.

YEA, your right .

But how about reading what Kevin said about this boat 28 years ago with only a 40 Tohatsu on it ..........

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 147

AzGeo

Reaction score
What about

#minischiadakiller ?

Our boat runs 'pretty good', so I don't want to confront any brand name, it's just not 'business like' to attack anyone .

I'm thinking more like 'River Cruiser .5', or 'River Cruiser Junior', or 'GN junior' .

'Cheap Fun' won't showcase the quality that goes into building one of these boats, but that is what they are .......

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The from the mold section is to document builds only.. Other then an "atta boy" style post it doesn't belong in here guys..

even if it is jokes amongst friends etc

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
YEA, your right .

But how about reading what Kevin said about this boat 28 years ago with only a 40 Tohatsu on it ..........

George I'm busting your balls. Lol. I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
The from the mold section is to document builds only.. Other then an "atta boy" style post it doesn't belong in here guys..

Come to X and quit being a pussy.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
YEA, your right .

Is it able to be a jet as well? It looks like it has an insert for a pump?

AzGeo

Reaction score

This will end up being 'from the mold', built from this PLUG .

I thought that showing how a PLUG is refined and made into a mold would be part of this area .

Send me to the area you want this kind of work to be in .........

AzGeo

Reaction score
George I'm busting your balls. Lol. I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

money for all of us ..... You will see that my prices are reasonable, so everyone can have some fun .

I think Steve could sell these in Vegas, show how much fun they are and how reasonable our prices are, and BANG ...........

AzGeo

Reaction score
Is it able to be a jet as well? It looks like it has an insert for a pump?

It is the exact size of a Berkeley 6J pump base . (they work only with a Scat Trax ss impeller) The hull can be 'inserted' to run other jet pumps, but please consider our 'prop surface drive' before you settle for the performance of any jet . Tom at Jet Boat Performance is also able to help .

Not trying to jump the gun, but we had one of these boats on the cover of Hot Boat back in 1988 with our 'surface drive' on it . It worked then, and it works now .

I just don't want to make little boats that go so fast, that they 'get out of control' and hurt people . We have had these little boats up into the 70's, back in 1988, and with the progress in power to weight ratios of motorcycle engines, I don't want my customers/friends getting hurt .

They are called 'pleasure boats' for a reason .......

AzGeo

Reaction score

the PLUG for new molds, and new boats will be built out of it, ASAP .

You want the 'plug to mold' work in another place ? Please move the whole deal to where it should be .........

Sorry, just wanted input from real boaters and 'on point' with boating content .

JRider

Reaction score
the PLUG for new molds, and new boats will be built out of it, ASAP .

You want the 'plug to mold' work in another place ? Please move the whole deal to where it should be .........

Sorry, just wanted input from real boaters and 'on point' with boating content .

I believe Dave was referring to OD1s post about "it will never work" not your content. Keep up the good work.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Been a long difficult road to get here . This is the point where we 'block sand' the primer and look for any 'flaws' in the plug . Hopefully, we will only do this two times .......

Attachments

• IMG_9722.JPG
    IMG_9722.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9727.JPG
    IMG_9727.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9726.JPG
    IMG_9726.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9725.JPG
    IMG_9725.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 145

AzGeo

Reaction score
We gonna see you at Needles ? I see Andy is draggin' his shit down ......

How is that DiMarco, did he get the 'two extra center strakes' on there yet ?

AzGeo

Reaction score
we have tooling gel and back up gel on the plug . (please God, don't let any of this shit stick when we remove the mold ) So it's getting the first layers of mat and glass, until it's 3 times thicker than a part (hull) that will be made from it .

Attachments

• IMG_9728.JPG
    IMG_9728.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9729.JPG
    IMG_9729.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9730.JPG
    IMG_9730.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 141

Warlock1

Reaction score
I would love to sit down with you some day with a whiteboard and you could explain all the dynamics of each of those strakes on the bottom of the boat.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Not for free ..... HA HA

I've heard about the 'local experts' that have come by the glass shop, looked it over and then made comments .

"That will never work". "It's all F---ed up". Some just shake their heads and say nothing .

What I can say is that it's only 12' long, and it is designed to be used on 'protected waters', like Parker and Havasu (3' or less rollers). In it's original form it was to have a 40HP (max) Tohatsu 2 stroke, or small inboard 2 stroke with a jet .

I did build some 'one off prototypes' with different drives and motors, so in this new rendition of the basic design, I made sure not to 'limit' the possibilities for more inboard motor/drive weight .

Strakes (in my mind) are like the suspension of a boat, like the springs and shocks on a motorcycle . Placement, slze, width, angle, shape, length, all make the hull/gross weight react like the springs and shocks of a road bike or a dirt bike, it's all in the design .

A flatbottom boat is like a 'hardtail HD street bike', and an off shore racer, is like a 'moto X bike', absorbing most all of the bumps in it's path .

Horsepower is a good thing, efficiency with control make the horsepower better .

"Even a brick will fly, if you throw it hard enough" ..........

Mr. Warlock 1, maybe one day we are down in the channel, and we stop looking at the girls and boats for a minute, I'll be glad to talk over most any subject . Maybe then we can get you into one of these boats, so you can see for yourself .

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 148

Outdrive1

Reaction score
[emoji106]

Gelcoater

Reaction score
we have tooling gel and back up gel on the plug . (please God, don't let any of this shit stick when we remove the mold ) So it's getting the first layers of mat and glass, until it's 3 times thicker than a part (hull) that will be made from it .

Looks like you're making great progress.:thumbup:

I only see one thing I woulda done different.
The tooling gel.You did the red/orange tooling.
It's such a bitch doing reds and orange on an orange mold.
I know,if it was black then doing black and dark colors would be a bitch,right?Right!
The solution,red tooling gel with a quart or two of black tooling mixed in.Now,you have a brown mold.Probably not much chance you're going to bring back the brown,ferrit,and tan with wood grain.:D

AzGeo

Reaction score
Looks like you're making great progress.:thumbup:

I only see one thing I woulda done different.
The tooling gel.You did the red/orange tooling.
It's such a bitch doing reds and orange on an orange mold.
I know,if it was black then doing black and dark colors would be a bitch,right?Right!
The solution,red tooling gel with a quart or two of black tooling mixed in.Now,you have a brown mold.Probably not much chance you're going to bring back the brown,ferrit,and tan with wood grain.:D

I told him I wanted BLACK, I can see the contours better in BLACK, but he 'had red', and ignored my wishes .

I agree, using white and lighter colors will be more difficult to spray an even coat over red, and you know most of them will have white hulls .

THIS (and other reasons) is why I started with my 12' boat and not my 22' boat for new tooling .

AzGeo

Reaction score
the wheels fly off the wagon .

I am exhausted by the 'local experts' and 'self proclaimed craftsmen' here in Havasu .

I have this 'hull plug' at my house now, after paying, teaching, waiting, and paying again, other professionals to do the work .

I paid for black tooling gel coat, and it was not . In fact there was not enough gel material on the plug to merritt laying up a mold on it . I peeled all that gel off, hoping to start over . The glass shop owner refused to tell me the truth and he was also unable to stay out of jail .

Moving this plug has caused some damage, and so it will temporarily be put on HOLD, while I finish the Hondo and some other small projects .

When I get back to working on this, it will need a new 'stable and level base with wheels' . Then I can repair the cracks and chips, then re-surface, sand, and then buff and wax .

"2 steps forward, 5 steps back" ........

Attachments

• IMG_9815.JPG
    IMG_9815.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9816.JPG
    IMG_9816.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9817.JPG
    IMG_9817.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 139

OGCroz

Reaction score
[Little Bitch QUOTE=AzGeo;2206648]We are starting with one of my old 12' mini boats, going to do some 'performance' and some 'cosmetic' up grades along the way, to making new molds for this boat .

Since I was unable to 'save time and money' by buying the old molds from a local in Havasu, I've decided to make subtle styling changes, so no one will mistake the old for the new . The 'bottom changes' will remain secret . HA HA

Took off the deck, going to measure and 'square up' the hull bottom, remove the foam, and put the deck back on, to hold the shape .

The old molds were 'shoebox', but I'm going with 'butt fit', to be tabbed in the mold with indexing flanges . Decided to just 'cap the seam' on all of them, no moldings at all .

While working on this, I'm finishing up the design measurements for the new 22' V-bottom, which we will start right after this mold is producing parts .

SO, please help us out with a NEW MODEL NAME for this 12' boat . There will be a PRIZE for the winning name !

Thanks to all who can help us out with this project .............[/QUOTE]

AzGeo

Reaction score
Probably closer to naming it 'jail bird', or 'bail money', maybe 'flight risk', but there have been very few 'bitches' on this project .

Closer to 'snorters', 'tooters', 'thieves' and 'liars' .................

I'm passed all that BS now, just need to go forward and get it done .

I'll write your suggestion down ! HA HA

rush1

Reaction score
The bottom of that is pretty bad ass I like it :thumbsup

Warlock1

Reaction score
Not for free ..... HA HA

I've heard about the 'local experts' that have come by the glass shop, looked it over and then made comments .

"That will never work". "It's all F---ed up". Some just shake their heads and say nothing .

What I can say is that it's only 12' long, and it is designed to be used on 'protected waters', like Parker and Havasu (3' or less rollers). In it's original form it was to have a 40HP (max) Tohatsu 2 stroke, or small inboard 2 stroke with a jet .

I did build some 'one off prototypes' with different drives and motors, so in this new rendition of the basic design, I made sure not to 'limit' the possibilities for more inboard motor/drive weight .

Strakes (in my mind) are like the suspension of a boat, like the springs and shocks on a motorcycle . Placement, slze, width, angle, shape, length, all make the hull/gross weight react like the springs and shocks of a road bike or a dirt bike, it's all in the design .

A flatbottom boat is like a 'hardtail HD street bike', and an off shore racer, is like a 'moto X bike', absorbing most all of the bumps in it's path .

Horsepower is a good thing, efficiency with control make the horsepower better .

"Even a brick will fly, if you throw it hard enough" ..........

Mr. Warlock 1, maybe one day we are down in the channel, and we stop looking at the girls and boats for a minute, I'll be glad to talk over most any subject . Maybe then we can get you into one of these boats, so you can see for yourself .

How have I not seen this before now??? You can count on that my friend. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but my thirst for knowledge pushes me to seek such people out.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Cool project. That bottom design is interesting.

Here are some ideas.

Cyclone
Arrow
Dart
Torpedo
Little Giant

AzGeo

Reaction score
How have I not seen this before now??? You can count on that my friend. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but my thirst for knowledge pushes me to seek such people out.

I have some specific ideas on different kinds of boat bottoms, and having 'blueprinted/reshaped' hundreds of flats, runners, V-bottoms, and tunnels, I've found my ideas work pretty well .

I designed and we sold these back then, and I have just recently read a CL ad in Mohave county for one with a jet in it . (loud MF'r) Running on a trailer, asking $2900. Looks to be in good shape ?

Thanks everyone for the comments and name offerings .

I have not forgotten about the 'prize' offered for the winning name, so keep them coming .....

Warlock1

Reaction score
Would you mind throwing that CL ad my way? :)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Pretty much any take out waverunner 2 or 4 stroke would kick ass. 1200cc 130-160hp. MMMMMM.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Pretty much any take out waverunner 2 or 4 stroke would kick ass. 1200cc 130-160hp. MMMMMM.

ran high 50's with a 429CC 2 stroke 2 cylinder motor . Something with power would make it fly ...

AzGeo

Reaction score
I can't seem to get anything into a folder or paste and stick, with my computer since I got the Windows 10 deal ....

Thanks TOM ........