WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wood Grain and Wood decks

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I know it’s an art that only several people can attempt. Just curious as to how it it’s done. Have seen nice wood grains that are real come in laminated sheets which’s seems somewhat easy to work with. My howard has some wood grain starting to check and would possibly consider putting it back. Thanks for any information much appreciated guys.

KNOTONDUTY

Reaction score
I was told Eliminator has a faux copy or something for wood look. I also have it in my Daytona that needs to be fixed.
IMG_0457.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
That’s what’s on my howard, Peterson’s lumber in Fontana sells it in almost anything you could ever want. I’d like to do my deck with something cool but not sure how to tackle it.

cofooter

Reaction score
stealthveil.com has some wood grained patterned fabrics that you can set in poly or epoxy that could work for you.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
stealthveil.com has some wood grained patterned fabrics that you can set in poly or epoxy that could work for you.
Just checked their site. It's a radar detector site

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

old rigger

Reaction score
I know it’s an art that only several people can attempt. Just curious as to how it it’s done. Have seen nice wood grains that are real come in laminated sheets which’s seems somewhat easy to work with. My howard has some wood grain starting to check and would possibly consider putting it back. Thanks for any information much appreciated guys.

It's a cloth that's put in the mold (on top of a layer of clear) then backed up with what ever color you want the wood to imitate. My buddy in Stanton repairs that stuff all the time.

I lucked out when I re-did our Spectra and there was enough clear there for me to block it out. The clear goes away after time, if you've ever been next to an old boat with metal flake and it feels like sandpaper, the clears burnt away.

IMG_2417.JPG

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
That deck is awesome! I so wanted to keep the wood grain on my Spectra but it was just toasted. Ken Meyers had a small roll of it and we talked about it but just didn't pull the trigger.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I love the wood grain as well and it’s beautiful when kept up. My howard is starting to check on it sadly and it’s only a matter of time. I’d love to do something like a modern wood deck but financially don’t think it’s in the cards sadly. Thanks for all the info.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Ken was my Dad's friend, they met flying model airplanes in 1948. I sure miss him, he was a great man and a true gentleman and yes, I loved watching him work glass and even more I loved watching him lay out a design, he was so good with pulling straight tape lines. Did you ever work at B&K?

78Southwind

Reaction score
So do you guys think this would be a pretty easy repair? I have one on each side of the Spectre right on the other side of where the shifter is located. I wonder if it's a common problem with the Spectra 20 and if it will just come back over time?
20190816_182112.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
Looks like it may go all the way through to the woodgrain, may be tough to repair.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
is there a bulk head on the back side of that, looks like it was hit from the back side

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Still would like some insight on if it would be possible to just lay that fabric or material on the deck and resin it in.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
you need to take the "Just" out your question or statement. to make it look right you would need to take everything else off, remember you are adding material to the area and if you do not take material out you will end up with a ledge around the area. Also any crack(s) that you have need to be chased down with a grinder and glassed up and blocked out or they will come back. The gent that was mentioned above, Ken Meyers had fun making me grind, I think he just really liked sanding, but all kidding aside if you don't prep you are just throwing money away.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Sounds like he was an amazing guy and I’m sure full of talent. Yeah that just word doesn’t to apply to boats just equals weeks of grinding and prep. I have an idea in my head just not sure how to pull it off. I gave you a call Cliff, hope we can chat in the next few days.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Still would like some insight on if it would be possible to just lay that fabric or material on the deck and resin it in.
It might be possible to restore what you have.
Eliminator did a restore a year or two ago, it was on here somewhere.
And yes, if it’s toast it can be replaced. It won’t be cheap.
The process is as Old Rigger described.
They still have quite a bit of OG 1980 woodgrain material, and any pattern or grain can still be bought.
I played with some colors laying around and had Jose lay down some cloth.
E7B57D4B-4017-4699-80E0-56D6E760CAA7.jpeg

You can see in this shot it’s a bucket seat back, colors are all down, and needs a coat of clear. After the clear dries, the wood cloth goes on, then a color over the top then lamination.
A2B9DDC2-79B4-4D87-878F-D55C8AF2C991.jpeg
C7F6661A-8340-4A97-831F-60A75708CB81.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
What "Clear" are you spraying on for the last coat?? Is it clear gelcoat or Dura-Tec? Or a secret combination that you can't disclose?? :D

78Southwind

Reaction score
That is crazy cool...Did you build that for a customer?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What "Clear" are you spraying on for the last coat?? Is it clear gelcoat or Dura-Tec? Or a secret combination that you can't disclose?? :D
No big secret.
Regular UV clear gelcoat.
The trick is the lamination. Jose uses a super clear surf board resin to lay down the cloth, same stuff he used to lay down carbon fiber.
The exposed carbon fiber you see on some boats is exactly the same process.
That is crazy cool...Did you build that for a customer?
No. Just a test panel.

old rigger

Reaction score

It's a major project, much harder than repairing cracks and re-gel. You have to grind away all the existing cloth, get that surface perfectly flat and below the surface of the boat, then do the process in reverse of what was done when the boat was built.

Old family friend that grew up with my dad had an eliminator and I was able to sand and buff the clear once for him. When the clear got thin he just gelled it a solid color.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
That piece is awesome! Would love to have that 'test' hanging in my garage.
Well old rigger:cool:
When ever you can get by the shop it’s yours.
They’re cleaning house and tossing stuff.
I dug it out of the dumpster:D
It’ll need a wet sand and a buff after you trim off the flanges.

KevinR

Reaction score
It's a cloth that's put in the mold (on top of a layer of clear) then backed up with what ever color you want the wood to imitate. My buddy in Stanton repairs that stuff all the time.

I lucked out when I re-did our Spectra and there was enough clear there for me to block it out. The clear goes away after time, if you've ever been next to an old boat with metal flake and it feels like sandpaper, the clears burnt away.

View attachment 786638

Looks superb!

Is your buddy in Stanton named Salvador? If so, he redid our 32 Spectra in 90 or 91. We created a new design and he did an unbelievable job.

8071E1CF-291E-4BBD-AB61-FDE2F8792D27.jpeg

old rigger

Reaction score
Well old rigger:cool:
When ever you can get by the shop it’s yours.
They’re cleaning house and tossing stuff.
I dug it out of the dumpster:D
It’ll need a wet sand and a buff after you trim off the flanges.

That's awesome. Maybe you'll sign it, I'll frame it and hang it at the river. I'll shoot you a pm when I can get out there.

Thanks!

old rigger

Reaction score
I would like to know also

No, that would look like shit. It'd be like putting a bumpersticker on the hood of your car and then shooting some clear paint over it.

old rigger

Reaction score
Looks superb!

Is your buddy in Stanton named Salvador? If so, he redid our 32 Spectra in 90 or 91. We created a new design and he did an unbelievable job.

View attachment 790958

That's him. I remember a 32 at his shop then. I was doing some side work for him back then, mostly wiring...never let them de-rig a boat, NEVER! Sal's a master with glass/gel/ flake matching but not rigging. Maybe it was yours? I'm color blind so I wouldn't remember yours that way. They're kinda rare though so they stick out when one comes along.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I would like to know also

No, that would look like shit. It'd be like putting a bumpersticker on the hood of your car and then shooting some clear paint over it.
Actually, it can be done and look right.
I watched the guys at Lavey do a silver carbon fiber stripe on a Bernico, and looked like it came that way when they were done.
The thickness of Woodgrain cloth is much thinner than carbon or silver faux carbon, and the wood behaves for the laminators better.

old rigger

Reaction score
Actually, it can be done and look right.
I watched the guys at Lavey do a silver carbon fiber stripe on a Bernico, and looked like it came that way when they were done.
The thickness of Woodgrain cloth is much thinner than carbon or silver faux carbon, and the wood behaves for the laminators better.

They did it on the top of the gel on a boat?

I stand corrected then.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
So if it's just ground out and then done it could be done right.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
They did it on the top of the gel on a boat?

I stand corrected then.
Yep.
Recessed it slightly, laid it down, I think they added a black stripe? Don’t remember now, just remember the carbon looking stellar.

old rigger

Reaction score
Yep.
Recessed it slightly, laid it down, I think they added a black stripe? Don’t remember now, just remember the carbon looking stellar.

Well, that's what I said earlier about the work involved. I thought the question from Spectra 3279 was wanting to know if it could just be laid on top of the existing gel/clear/faux woodgrain and then apply resin over that.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Not the greatest pictures.
@shueman posted about this boat somewhere on RDP but I’ve no idea where.
4E36BF7F-0C2D-471B-A677-66CC66E8E76C.png
EBE2C36D-9410-4488-88FD-7E080B707645.png

This boat received a complete rebuild, interior, fresh engine and pump, complete gel resto including wood grain.
Their guy Antonio is a magician in restoring Woodgrain, and he did it all with a spray gun, there was no new cloth applied.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Well, that's what I said earlier about the work involved. I thought the question from Spectra 3279 was wanting to know if it could just be laid on top of the existing gel/clear/faux woodgrain and then apply resin over that.
Well, the simple answer to that is no:D

old rigger

Reaction score
Not the greatest pictures.
@shueman posted about this boat somewhere on RDP but I’ve no idea where.
View attachment 790993 View attachment 790994

This boat received a complete rebuild, interior, fresh engine and pump, complete gel resto including wood grain.
Their guy Antonio is a magician in restoring Woodgrain, and he did it all with a spray gun, there was no new cloth applied.

Nice!

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
That’s awesome, he gelcoater does your wife happen to be a respiratory therapist? Kinda off topic but if so I will pm you. I’m wondering if the veils company could make me a zebra wood or teak looking Print I’d love to lay that in my deck and bring it up to the cluster area...

KevinR

Reaction score
That's him. I remember a 32 at his shop then. I was doing some side work for him back then, mostly wiring...never let them de-rig a boat, NEVER! Sal's a master with glass/gel/ flake matching but not rigging. Maybe it was yours? I'm color blind so I wouldn't remember yours that way. They're kinda rare though so they stick out when one comes along.

No, we sent the hull to him de rigged. Original scheme was brown and yellow.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
No, I just wanted to know if it could be done after. The pacalon on mine is either gone or been gelled over. I'd like to be able to put it back.

So if the whole upper deck was being done, could it just be layed on and gelled? Or would it still require some grinding?

Nailhead

Reaction score
No grinding down just scuffing up on ours to lay the new pacalon. Then new gel coat
IMG_5640.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG
No, I just wanted to know if it could be done after. The pacalon on mine is either gone or been gelled over. I'd like to be able to put it back.

So if the whole upper deck was being done, could it just be layed on and gelled? Or would it still require some grinding?