WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wood to fiberglass conversion

Spina

Reaction score
Wondering the viability of converting a wood floor to fiberglass? The floor on our 220 eagle is spongey in places and will likely need to be replaced this winter. Anyone went from wood to fiberglass? Or even replaced the wood and gone with a fiberglass cover for added strength and durability?

hallett21

Reaction score
I replaced our floor after approximately 28 years of use. It was explained to me that if the first floor made it that long a wood replacement would as well.

How old is your current floor?

I want to say the cost was double or even 2.5 going from plywood glassed over to koosa (sp?) with glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spina

Reaction score
original so 22ish years and I guess that's the better way of looking at it. I'll start shopping around for cost and thanks for the advice

Backlash

Reaction score
It wont be cheap, but you might consider replacing the wood floor with Coosa Composites Bluewater board. Essentially, rot free and will outlast the boat. Might save a few pounds in the process too. I got my composite board from Rev Chem and got a decent price on it. Give them a call and see what they quote you. It comes in 4x8 sheets and different thicknesses.

Mikes56

Reaction score
My buddy and I replaced the wood floor in his 21' Tahiti. It was fairly easy, and straightforward. His flooring had soft spots too.
He removed all the interior, and we used a circular saw with the depth set to 1/2", and cut all around the outside of the floor, inside the boat. We replaced it with 1/2" marine plywood and put several coats of fiberglass and resin over the top. It came out rock solid and waterproof. I think we spent two days total replacing the floor.