WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Woodworking Equipment

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
After working in metal for most of my career I want to learn woodworking.

This last winter I started turning wood bowls on a lathe that a friend had. Found I really enjoyed it. Had a lathe delivered a few days ago, but haven't set it up yet. I have plenty of wood on my 8 acres. Maple, hickory, red oak etc...

My original intention was to do flat work. I was going to set up a wood shop this summer, but decided to hold off due to high lumber prices. Figured I would be going through quite a bit while I was practicing.

Anyway, I met a neighbor the other day. They are in the reclaimed wood business. Tear down old barns and stuff. We get talking about wood and I tell them about the lathe and my interest in learning the flat work. Told them why I am not doing it. They say "we will give you the wood to practice on" I ask why would you do that? They said "if you get good and enjoy it, maybe we could partner up. We provide the wood, you make something with it and then we will sell it and split the money" They said a lot of people want reclaimed wood bar tops and tables. This peaked my interest. Not for the money, but for the fun of making something.

Anyway the reason for the thread. I need to buy some equipment if I am going to give this a try. I think I need a table saw, planer, joiner, sander. I already have a compound miter , router and belt sander. I have been reading equipment reviews and wanted the inmates opinion on what I think will work for me.

I am looking at a Dewalt thickness planer model dsw735. A shop fox w1837 table saw or the delta 36-5100 for a little more money. For the joiner I am looking at a JET 708457K JJ-6CSX 6-Inch 1-HP. Haven't looked at sanders yet.

Yes I have looked around for used stuff. Seams like everything is 5-6 hours away and the savings isn't enough for me to drive 12 hrs.

Any help is appreciated.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I had that dewalt planer and it was pretty good. I picked up an old 6” Powermatic jointer that along with the planer, processed some pretty shitty stuff into nice wood. I used to find oak pallets and process them into nice 1/2” planks....or sometimes down to 1/4”.

The fence makes or breaks the table saw...I had a full-size craftsman saw with cast iron table extensions and a delta T3 fence that was great, but got tired of all the space it occupied, so went back to a folding saw...ended up with a bosch that I grabbed second hand for $75 with a bad bearing in the motor...took me $40 or so to fix it...and it has a T-Square style fence, although much lighter duty, but still pretty good. Dewalt is the only other small saw I would consider in the $500 price range.

Unless you’re ripping big wide shit, a smaller table is fine IMO...and if you are ripping big wide shit (like plywood), use a track saw instead or a guide clamped down with a circular saw...your errors on the table saw will be caused more by the difficulty in maneuvering a full sheet than it will be by any shortcoming in the saw in my experience.

A biscuit joiner is also a good tool to have....and shit tons of clamps.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I had that dewalt planer and it was pretty good. I picked up an old 6” Powermatic jointer that along with the planer, processed some pretty shitty stuff into nice wood. I used to find oak pallets and process them into nice 1/2” planks....or sometimes down to 1/4”.

The fence makes or breaks the table saw...I had a full-size craftsman saw with cast iron table extensions and a delta T3 fence that was great, but got tired of all the space it occupied, so went back to a folding saw...ended up with a bosch that I grabbed second hand for $75 with a bad bearing in the motor...took me $40 or so to fix it...and it has a T-Square style fence, although much lighter duty, but still pretty good. Dewalt is the only other small saw I would consider in the $500 price range.

Unless you’re ripping big wide shit, a smaller table is fine IMO...and if you are ripping big wide shit (like plywood), use a track saw instead or a guide clamped down with a circular saw...your errors on the table saw will be caused more by the difficulty in maneuvering a full sheet than it will be by any shortcoming in the saw in my experience.

Thank you. There is an old craftsman with the cast iron table and they say a good motor for 250 about an hour away. I looked at an upgraded fence that was about 300. Do you think that would be better than the one I posted? Use the savings for a biscuit joiner?

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Agree. I rip anything large with a Skilsaw.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Back in the day my dad had a tool called a Shop Smith. Not sure how relevant they are 40+ years later?
Like 6 or 7 tools in one.
I’d imagine working in a shop with all the tools ready to go would be quicker and more productivity, as it takes a few minutes to reconfigure it to various jobs.
For a guy like him trying to build quality out of his garage it was handy in our 20x20 garage because it saved space.
He had a bench and a radial arm saw and that Smith for the most part along with the usual myriad of hand tools.
Might be something to check out if space is an issue.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Back in the day my dad had a tool called a Shop Smith. Not sure how relevant they are 40+ years later?
I’d imagine working in a shop with all the tools ready to go would be quicker and more productivity, as it takes a few minutes to reconfigure it to various jobs.
For a guy like him trying to build quality out of his garage it was handy in our 20x20 garage because it saved space.
He had a bench and a radial arm saw and that Smith for the most part along with the usual myriad of hand tools.

Like this? This is about 45 min away. Space really isn't an issue. The shop I built is 30x40.

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Thank you. There is an old craftsman with the cast iron table and they say a good motor for 250 about an hour away. I looked at an upgraded fence that was about 300. Do you think that would be better than the one I posted? Use the savings for a biscuit joiner?
Or are you saying buy something like this.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Like this? This is about 45 min away. Space really isn't an issue Shop I built is 30x40.

Yep.
His hand made shelves to hold bits and what not were a little nicer than those😂 but yeah. Looks like it.
Not sure if he’s used it recently but he stil has it.

Nordie

Reaction score

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I have this exact saw. It works great, folds up nice too. I really like the rack n pinion type fence, it's fast and it stays square. I was just using mine yesterday.

Thank you. I like the idea of ripping plywood with the skill saw instead. Thanks to you and lbhsbz. Yes my shop is big enough, but when we go to FL in the winter I have to put the boat, tractor, sxs and all the other stuff in there. My plan was to put everything on wheels, so it can be moved for storage.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Well this is 2.5 hrs away. Would this be worth it just to have? Thinking it might be good just for the band saw, drill press and sanders.

LHCBOY

Reaction score
As someone who works with wood as a hobby here are a few things I did without spending a ton. I make cutting boards, tables, serving boards, etc.

First I invested in a great table saw and Miter Saw. The Delta 36-725T2 table saw is great, with this saw I made all my own jigs. Jointer jig, miter jig, cross cut sled, taper jig etc. I eliminated the need for a jointer.

As for the planer I work with some larger slabs so the standard bench top planer will not work. I created a router sled and bought a nice surface bit and now surface all my materials on the sled.

I highly recommend a few guys on YouTube that are amazing wood workers. Steve Ramsey wood working for Mere Mortals. He teaches for beginners with limited space and budget. 713 Wood Works is also another great teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
@LHCBOY is on target

I used to have a Delta Table saw - a good quality table saw is a must for any woodworker. You can work around not having one (Skilsaw/Circular saw, radial arm saw, jig saw, etc.) but for any kind or real woodworking a table saw is a must.

I recommend being on continuous search for used equipment and check garage sales. Good used WW equipment is, like everything else, commanding high prices these days but there are deals to be found and if you're not in a rush you'll likely find some good buys.

I've been a WW hobbyist for most of my life and I wish I had learned metalworking :rolleyes:

This is like the one I had - sold it 4 years ago for what I paid for it; now it would be worth a lot more...

unisaw_lead.jpg

Nordie

Reaction score
As someone who works with wood as a hobby here are a few things I did without spending a ton. I make cutting boards, tables, serving boards, etc.

First I invested in a great table saw and Miter Saw. The Delta 36-725T2 table saw is great, with this saw I made all my own jigs. Jointer jig, miter jig, cross cut sled, taper jig etc. I eliminated the need for a jointer.

As for the planer I work with some larger slabs so the standard bench top planer will not work. I created a router sled and bought a nice surface bit and now surface all my materials on the sled.

I highly recommend a few guys on YouTube that are amazing wood workers. Steve Ramsey wood working for Mere Mortals. He teaches for beginners with limited space and budget. 713 Wood Works is also another great teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on a high quality table saw, especially a cross cut sled. I'm okay with the dewalt, but I'm more of a hobbyist. Just started messing with cutting boards, a jointer would be nice, but not necessary. A planer is a must, I can't believe I went this long without one. I only have the 12.5" version though.

RichL

Reaction score
I still have one although I haven't used it for years. My Grandfather bought it in the late 40's or early 50's when he was building his house in north Jersey.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

It’s a good saw if the table is flat-ish. Make sure it has a t-square fence. My table wasn’t flat...but a month of belt sanding and hand scraping solved that.

I have a cheap harbor freight biscuit joiner...I have never used anything else, but can’t find fault in the HF unit. It performs as it should.

I wouldn’t waste your time with a shopsmith unless you’re limited to 1/2 of a one car garage...while they do a lot, they are a compromise in everything they do. Dedicated equipment will always be better.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Also...a saw I regret selling was my Ryobi table saw...bought in ‘08 or so for $199. The fence was shit, but ridges once you got it set right....and the miter block was a stupid design (half the table slid...no slots) but the table extended in about every direction to become a lot “bigger”. If you’re going for a smaller job site type or fold up saw...try and find something where the table can be extended with the flip of a lever....increases usefulness exponentially.

Backlash

Reaction score
You can find an old Craftsman saw for less money than you posted. They work well and can be upgraded as you go along. The fence can be upgraded as many people make fences for them. The parts are still available for them online, so that's also a plus. Build a router table into one end of the saw, and you'll have a solid work surface that doesn't occupy any additional space. You can set it up to use the same fence and save yourself some money. I have two fences on mine and am happy with the performance of both. When I have time, I'm going to build a better base for my saw that provides for more storage and ease of movement, but it isnt necessary. It works fine the way it is.

lebel409

Reaction score
If I was smarter I'd post pics of the tables & shit I've built... but they are pretty clean, mortise & tenon quartersawn oak.

#1 tablesaw. I used a a Rockwell/Delta tablesaw, heavy cast iron. I added a Beisemeyer (boating content, yes that Beisemeyer) fence, trued stainless steel pulleys, Forster blade, segmented V belt, and trued the arbor. If I cut 1", it's 1" with the calipers... I also built a base that rolls, stores smaller stuff like circular saw and sanders. I added an extention that holds a routertable. It's THE main wood tool I have. With a good tablesaw, a planer is and option, not a necessity.

#2 bandsaw. Anything that isn't straight goes to the bandsaw, resawing wood, cutting V drive plates in aluminum...it does a ton of work. Accurizing the table saw is easy, segmented belt, eurathane bands, trued SS pulleys.

#3 routers...plural. Table mounted, plunge cut and trimmer, all necessary.

#4 sanders, pedastal, belt, ocillating.

#5 If I had money, I'd look at a belt thicknesser, less tearout and more accurate, plus way wider per $, vs planer.

accesories...double or more all the price of tools, then start buying bits, blades, belts, chisels...endless. If you start adding stuff like dust collection (cool) it's even more.

Just dig in, have fun

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
If I was smarter I'd post pics of the tables & shit I've built... but they are pretty clean, mortise & tenon quartersawn oak.

#1 tablesaw. I used a a Rockwell/Delta tablesaw, heavy cast iron. I added a Beisemeyer (boating content, yes that Beisemeyer) fence, trued stainless steel pulleys, Forster blade, segmented V belt, and trued the arbor. If I cut 1", it's 1" with the calipers... I also built a base that rolls, stores smaller stuff like circular saw and sanders. I added an extention that holds a routertable. It's THE main wood tool I have. With a good tablesaw, a planer is and option, not a necessity.

#2 bandsaw. Anything that isn't straight goes to the bandsaw, resawing wood, cutting V drive plates in aluminum...it does a ton of work. Accurizing the table saw is easy, segmented belt, eurathane bands, trued SS pulleys.

#3 routers...plural. Table mounted, plunge cut and trimmer, all necessary.

#4 sanders, pedastal, belt, ocillating.

#5 If I had money, I'd look at a belt thicknesser, less tearout and more accurate, plus way wider per $, vs planer.

accesories...double or more all the price of tools, then start buying bits, blades, belts, chisels...endless. If you start adding stuff like dust collection (cool) it's even more.

Just dig in, have fun

Belt thicknesser? Is that a drum sander?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
...and lots of notepads and pencils...
238EDDF9-4BC8-4F62-8085-E87BD324FF93.jpeg

squeezer

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with a cabinet saw, a used Unisaw or Powermatic is a tool you can build your wood shop around. If spending new tool dollars a Sawstop saw is worth a look. The fingers saved could be your own. The next important consideration is dust collection. You will be way more likely to use the wood working tools if dust is under control. Lastly don’t overlook a few decent quality hand planes. They make joint cleanup a breeze and are a pleasure to use.

Depending on your space a dedicated woodworking bench is nice. Built a hybrid extension table/bench for my Unisaw a few years ago. Used a solid slab of maple countertop incorporating an Emmert vise and a tool well. It’s a compromise but works out great.

FB3896FD-410C-4EE9-BC03-F09E0D0D1F59.jpeg
7B051DE9-DFFD-4939-9A42-95C4094861AD.jpeg
5B00AC00-EBC9-46A3-AF5A-F08C281E1934.jpeg
695EC059-177F-4292-BF27-920349B4841C.jpeg
84E0E2BF-E9F1-44E9-B323-616B775930EF.jpeg

Another tip that pays huge dividends in enjoyment is “Learn to sharpen”

A sharp chisel or plane is a pleasure to use!!!

rush1

Reaction score
My wood working equipment is rosey and her 5 sisters ,just saying