Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I like these for wildland fires, structure fires I'll wear something else
205715_22Z_ALT140.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
These are what I've been wearing for a few years now. Super comfortable and have held up quite well. View attachment 956132

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I used to have a pair of Doc's, a couple pair actually, and Doc sandals. But that was before they targeted the "grunge crowd".

But those look legit!

They are super comfy!

Do they still have air soles?

hallett21

Reaction score
Considering slip ons (cowboy looking boot) vs my redwing heritages (boot and chucks). Any down sides to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I used to have a pair of Doc's, a couple pair actually, and Doc sandals. But that was before they targeted the "grunge crowd".

But those look legit!

They are super comfy!

Do they still have air soles?
I'm not too sure. Its been a while since I really looked at the current pair (bought them almost 2 years ago). They are a bit heavy but are super comfy and last. I don't have any foot pain after being in them for up to 18 hours at a time (worked several 18 hour days when I was a commercial refrigeration service tech).

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Considering slip ons (cowboy looking boot) vs my redwing heritages (boot and chucks). Any down sides to them?

They all fit differently and thinner, flatter feet (like mine) are more difficult to find ones where the heel cup is proper. If the fit is close, it can be fine tuned a bit with insoles.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Irish setter from redwing. I used to go through 2 pair of Ariats a year now I’m a little over a year on the setters. I wear them every day almost every occasion. Central Valley farmer and the slip on boots are too convenient and comfy to wear anything else. Went with steel toe for the first time and won’t turn back. I’ve had my boots ran over by farm equipment and didn’t even know. But I do blame the retirement of them to the steel toe as they now have holes. Will be replacing after the new year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 100

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score

never had laced boots. Pull ones are super quick and convenient. Likely need 1/2 or full size smaller than you’re used to.

Cibolasam

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Red Wing Zero G Lite Chukkas. They look good, we’ll see how they feel after they break in.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Redwing Irish Setters for me, I’ve had plenty of the American made Redwings but I don’t have the patience or the feet to break them in anymore. I hear good things about Thoroughgood.

sintax

Reaction score
Redwing Irish Setters for me, I’ve had plenty of the American made Redwings but I don’t have the patience or the feet to break them in anymore. I hear good things about Thoroughgood.

I'm curious what part pains you? I've broken in 4-5 pairs and it always seems to be my knees. I dont have the best stride, so my soles wear weird, until i get a bit scuffed away my knees hurt. I've never had any actual foot pains though, i'm always surpised how well the boots feel, even with that leather insole only (esp my iron rangers, they are great)

NicPaus

Reaction score
Wearing Danners today. My Cat boots got wet yesterday in the rain. I bought a pair after Nordy mentioned them. Then bought another pair before Christmas when they were 25% off. Have worn them a few times after work to break them in. The Cat boots last me a year on average. Figured I would try something new after 10 years.

shock22

Reaction score
Georgia boots no break in even on steel toe. Buy them on Amazon for 50% off great boots last good more comfortable than my tennis shoes

Nordie

Reaction score
Wearing Danners today. My Cat boots got wet yesterday in the rain. I bought a pair after Nordy mentioned them. Then bought another pair before Christmas when they were 25% off. Have worn them a few times after work to break them in. The Cat boots last me a year on average. Figured I would try something new after 10 years.

I was bummed I missed out on that deal (saw the email), but I had just bought 2 pairs. I hope they do it again next year, because I'll make sure to capitalize on it.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I'm curious what part pains you? I've broken in 4-5 pairs and it always seems to be my knees. I dont have the best stride, so my soles wear weird, until i get a bit scuffed away my knees hurt. I've never had any actual foot pains though, i'm always surpised how well the boots feel, even with that leather insole only (esp my iron rangers, they are great)
The leather at the top of the American made boots cut into my ankles and the boot is really stiff which causes blisters if I wear them all day. The soft leather and cushioned boot top on the Irish Setter is comfortable enough I can where them all day from the first day on. I have a couple pairs of the American made I don’t think they’ll ever be broken in, I paid to re-sole a couple other pairs but they look like shit by the time they need it.

DMF

Reaction score
I'm as white collar as they come but love having a good set of boots. I wore out my Red Wings and my wife bought me Toms :oops:. To be honest they are plenty for what I use them for (desert duty) but I'm going to try some Danner's or Thorogood's next. The amount of shit I have caught from my blue collar buddies for wearing Toms has been brutal.

Said Toms...
10015930-S1-1450x1015.jpg
If my wife bought me Tom's we would be heading for divorce court.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I put up a thread a couple years ago on this subject and still say, Whites Boots. I’m sure there’s guys here that are harder on their boots but I could probably get “honorable mention”, if not a podium finish with regards to the number of hours I’m in them and the terrible life they live in general. BTW, I have followed zero of the care instructions on these. None of the fancy oils, scrubs or cleaners that a guy should use on a pair of boots that approach $500.
16 different measurements done at home to be sent with your order mean you get your first pair of boots that actually fit. I was surprised to find that my feet are completely different in width and length and my right calf is still considerably larger from my skateboarding days.
Aching legs and lower back are a thing of the past, it was all shoe related. View attachment 956031

Whites for years. Have 4 pairs plus a pair of Halls. Before that Wesco.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I'm rocking doc marten steel toes for work. There like walking on pillows and they hold up for a year or so. At home I work in Georgia's slip on round toe boots or my Georgia chukka lace up boots.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
This is all I wear! I have one pair of tennis shoes that I wear maybe a couple times a month other than that is romeos. One nice pair and one work. Once the we work pair wear out the nice pair become work and I get a new pair for nice. Actually just broke in a new pair over xmas!

I'll admit that they are a pain in the ass to put on when new but once broke in they're great!
Who doesn't wear those up there?????? I think I have a couple pair buried in the closet down here in Havasu.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I put up a thread a couple years ago on this subject and still say, Whites Boots. I’m sure there’s guys here that are harder on their boots but I could probably get “honorable mention”, if not a podium finish with regards to the number of hours I’m in them and the terrible life they live in general. BTW, I have followed zero of the care instructions on these. None of the fancy oils, scrubs or cleaners that a guy should use on a pair of boots that approach $500.
16 different measurements done at home to be sent with your order mean you get your first pair of boots that actually fit. I was surprised to find that my feet are completely different in width and length and my right calf is still considerably larger from my skateboarding days.
Aching legs and lower back are a thing of the past, it was all shoe related. View attachment 956031

Dang, put mine against your's and we couldn't tell them apart. I think I had them for at least 17 years before I moved to Havasu. Couldn't see wearing them here so I sold them to another big guy up in Oregon. I only used them for hunting but they had a lot of miles on them. Damn were they spendy but the fit was perfect after doing all the measurements.

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Wow no mention of Carolina's ? I wear two different pair one for work and the other for my Harley . Completely made in the USA and can be resoled . The loggers I use for the bike still look pretty new after three years of abuse .

riverroyal

Reaction score
Doc Martin's are junk. Im on my last pair. The fall apart from the inside out.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Bump for this thread.

I dropped off a pair of my Red Winds to get re-soled. Turns out mine are too far gone just from neglect and not proper drying. The store manager in Westminster was apologetic. He then tells me that these are supposed to last and I have had mine for 8-9 years.

Manager tells me to pick out whatever I want and its on the house.

This is exactly why I keep going back to Red Wings.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Bump for this thread.

I dropped off a pair of my Red Winds to get re-soled. Turns out mine are too far gone just from neglect and not proper drying. The store manager in Westminster was apologetic. He then tells me that these are supposed to last and I have had mine for 8-9 years.

Manager tells me to pick out whatever I want and its on the house.

This is exactly why I keep going back to Red Wings.
Nice ! I need new laces and went by the one in Costa Mesa . . . well it's not there anymore and didn't feel like driving to Santa Ana during rush hour.
Quick internet search for new 'Red Wing Laces' = $21 + shipping ! . . . guess I'm doing the 'Beach Blvd 500' to Westminster for free laces.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Nice ! I need new laces and went by the one in Costa Mesa . . . well it's not there anymore and didn't feel like driving to Santa Ana during rush hour.
Quick internet search for new 'Red Wing Laces' = $21 + shipping ! . . . guess I'm doing the 'Beach Blvd 500' to Westminster for free laces.
Yes sir

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I'm 99%sure this is what's in my closet from some 6+ years ago. I absolutely love them

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Used to be Redwings for work, but the soles wear out too fast.
My shoe for everything is Reebok Classic.

1610622548481.png

Sellout

Reaction score
Union made in these glorious
United States of America!!
Super comfortable, light, long lasting.
BD995F5C-1C9C-410D-A3AC-FD1EC4EC50E4.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I did just get new boots and decided to go with some Cody James from Boot Barn since Im not in the field anymore, I dont need steel toe really but I did stick with a comp toe so the boots are a good bit lighter than the old Dr. Martins but still have toe protection and meet all the OSHA requirements.

1610646063710.png

Doc Martin's are junk. Im on my last pair. The fall apart from the inside out.
I don't know how you are getting that experience, unless you have Doc Martins and not the Dr. Martin's industrial. I have been told they are made very differently. I've had 2 pairs and both lasted about 2 years each before the soles cracked through (was squatting a lot for work on refrigerator cases) the first time and the last pair are actually still in good shape. The insoles wear out but thats it and expected in my opinion. New insoles every 6 to 9 months keeps them super comfortable.