WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Work is crazy

69hondo

Reaction score
Are you guys buried in work?
For the last year and a half we are like a fully loaded freight train going 100 miles an hour with no relief in sight. I cant keep up anymore. 10-14 hour days and just keep getting more and more behind.
Schedules are insane, design sucks at best and constantly re designed and revised but hey don't fuck with the schedule get your shit done. LOL about over it.

Fuck rebar LOL

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What trade? We are in material handling business, it's not slammed but steady..... Could take on more...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
For the last year and a half we are like a fully loaded freight train going 100 miles an hour with no relief in sight. I cant keep up anymore. 10-14 hour days and just keep getting more and more behind.
Schedules are insane, design sucks at best and constantly re designed and revised but hey don't fuck with the schedule get your shit done. LOL about over it.

Fuck rebar LOL
Same shit here. Started at 4am today, will probably be here till 6pm. Feel like im barely keeping my head above water for the past 2 years.
By the time the GC awards you the subcontract the submittals were due 2 months before you even got the job.....and they need product in 12 weeks. Architect uses the submittal process as a design development vehicle and rejects everything while you fill in the blanks with every re-submission till they like what you've come up with. Just make sure it's "at no additional cost to the owner"

69hondo

Reaction score
Same shit here. Started at 4am today, will probably be here till 6pm. Feel like im barely keeping my head above water for the past 2 years.
By the time the GC awards you the subcontract the submittals were due 2 months before you even got the job.....and they need product in 12 weeks

Right, get them submittals in even if you dont have all the info we need material in two weeks.

I was on a call with the structural engineer last wee k on a job for the Navy and he was like oh yeah I guess I do oh you a couple details there. give me a week or so and I will get them to you. In the next sentence the contractor goes so you will have material released tomorrow right. Its just insane.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Right, get them submittals in even if you dont have all the info we need material in two weeks.

I was on a call with the structural engineer last wee k on a job for the Navy and he was like oh yeah I guess I do oh you a couple details there. give me a week or so and I will get them to you. In the next sentence the contractor goes so you will have material released tomorrow right. Its just insane.
Most accurate depiction of the direction commercial construction is heading....
You'll have to click "watch on youtube"

SOUND UP!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
that sums it up. Im 52 and Im the old seasoned guy. Smart construction has not delivered as promised
Just document everything by taking a blurry sideways photo on your tablet and typing "Problem room XXX". Dont put what the problem is. Don't take a measurement. Don't list what needs to move. Just problem. We'll discuss this 3 weeks later via an online Teams meeting

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Same here
Super busy , machine shop tooling and parts machinery .

boatpi

Reaction score
We keep getting calls from more and more contractors at want to purchase on material the majority of it from the Phoenix area.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
It all starts at the architects office, have you seen the quality of architectural documents lately?? Finish schedule doesn't match the spec and the details don't match either, contractor sends the bid documents to the manufacturer and says "do your best to match the design intent" then cries when submittals get rejected and the price increases...its a never ending cycle...

Or over the last year and half the volatility of the market has pricing all over the place, so quotes that would normally be good for a year are now only good for about 3 months with recommended escalators every 3 months after that...when the job is awarded 6 months later and behind schedule, 9 times out of 10 the contractor says they didn't include the escalators...smh

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Yup, started middle of last week and hasn't stopped. Got a few refinances going and a boat load of purchase pre-quals coming through. Even with rates back at pre pandemic levels, it doesn't seem like things are slowing down. There definitely won't be as many refinances this year, but purchases are still happening and the rates are not deterring these people.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Last year we grew 7x

This year we're planning to grow 7x. And next year too.

Hey @boatpi - I emailed you about supplying your company with aluminum alloy extrusions - we're shipping tons/containers to the US every month from our plants in India and Vietnam. Our business is growing super fast because we're a globally competitive solution to China (and China has tariffs and anti-dumping tariffs on aluminum extrusions).

rrrr

Reaction score
Most accurate depiction of the direction commercial construction is heading....
You'll have to click "watch on youtube"

SOUND UP!

"Please please kill me now."

LMAO, but it's true.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Just document everything by taking a blurry sideways photo on your tablet and typing "Problem room XXX". Dont put what the problem is. Don't take a measurement. Don't list what needs to move. Just problem. We'll discuss this 3 weeks later via an online Teams meeting
WTF, are you on this project?? ha.

77charger

Reaction score
My old place wants me to work more they are short staffed cant find help and when you do they just use you for training and bail.So basically going back to commiefornia for 4-5 days of work every other week.They want me more but i left ca for a reason.

So its usually work tues to sat come home sat night then off till following monday

JL95

Reaction score
New construction cabinets slammed to high heavens

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Fuck rebar LOL

For us it has been like that for just over two years..

As they say though when it’s raining money get your buckets out.

This isn’t gonna last forever.

boatpi

Reaction score
Thanks, boatpi buys from Indonesia and North America sources.

Never any communist country and for what it’s worth the stuff out of Vietnam is being made by Chinese owned companies, and we’re very familiar with that market. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Vietnam market is hit with dumping tariffs in the near future. Thanks for the offer and by the way we buy mill direct we have an importer‘s license we’re just trying to keep up with things and the rising prices but looks like it’s leveled off somewhat.

My wife and I need to be cloned times two!!

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
The money is good, the marriage is not.......joking
I rarely see Mrs EZ. I think most know she's a pharmacist
She goes in at 8 and lucky to be home by 8.
She's been trying to retire for the past year. That hasn't worked.
She worked 24 out of 25 days in december trying to help each other out
They want her to at least stay part time
The store in Parker closes at 6 since they can't get any help
I think walgreens is no longer 24/7
If anyone sees my wife tell her EZ says Hi

69hondo

Reaction score
Just got an email "hey we need to move delivery up, drop what you are doing and get this released" 🖕🤦‍♂️

Hammer

Reaction score
It all starts at the architects office, have you seen the quality of architectural documents lately?? Finish schedule doesn't match the spec and the details don't match either, contractor sends the bid documents to the manufacturer and says "do your best to match the design intent" then cries when submittals get rejected and the price increases...its a never ending cycle...

Or over the last year and half the volatility of the market has pricing all over the place, so quotes that would normally be good for a year are now only good for about 3 months with recommended escalators every 3 months after that...when the job is awarded 6 months later and behind schedule, 9 times out of 10 the contractor says they didn't include the escalators...smh

V.IF.
Copy and paste details. Even though they aren't compatible for the project or conditions. LOL

ChrisV

Reaction score
Busy as hell here also. Pandemic definitely helped. Car scene is blooming IMO.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
V.IF.
Copy and paste details. Even though they aren't compatible for the project or conditions. LOL

OxGWoLorBlCk3gTc.medium

elco

Reaction score
Work in aerospace. Working anywhere from 60 to 80 hrs a week for the last year. Right now im looking at 13 days straight of mostly 10hr shifts with a 18 to 20 hr shift on the last day before i get a break. All salary so no OT. Its been brutal.

69hondo

Reaction score
Work in aerospace. Working anywhere from 60 to 80 hrs a week for the last year. Right now im looking at 13 days straight of mostly 10hr shifts with a 18 to 20 hr shift on the last day before i get a break. All salary so no OT. Its been brutal.
oh man, now that sucks!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Thanks, boatpi buys from Indonesia and North America sources.

Never any communist country and for what it’s worth the stuff out of Vietnam is being made by Chinese owned companies, and we’re very familiar with that market. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Vietnam market is hit with dumping tariffs in the near future. Thanks for the offer and by the way we buy mill direct we have an importer‘s license we’re just trying to keep up with things and the rising prices but looks like it’s leveled off somewhat.

My wife and I need to be cloned times two!!

We have 4 world-class plants none of which are Chinese owned. If you don't want to buy from Vietnam or India plants that's your right. But we are shipping tons of extrusions - containers per month - to customers across North America that can't get quality, cost-competitive aluminum extrusions in a short period of time.

We can ship to you or ship into one of our US warehouses and hold inventory for you. Of course you're welcome to import it yourself.

Give us a shot at quoting your business - it won't cost you anything. I see you posting about availability and pricing is always a concern - that's why we've grown 7x this past year.

Continued success to you and your business!

boatpi

Reaction score
That sounds great. we just sourced a new supplier in North America and I think it’s gonna take care of the gap ,plus spending another quarter million dollars on dies for unique shapes gets old. I’ll always keep you in mind things can change. We directly import everything and pay cash upfront.

Just curious do you have a capability of producing an 8 inch post 1/4 inch thick and what’s your maximum length on an extrusion for powder coating, amma2604?

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
Lol I can relate, can definitely relate to the OPs issues.

We're not as busy in Vegas, but bids are not slowing down.

boatnam2

Reaction score
With covid be averaging around 48/60 hours OT per pay period ( 2 weeks) which is basically every day since i rotate 12 hour shifts.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’ve been 60 hours a week since 2018 and they’d love to clone me a couple time because it’s not slowing down. The good news is I’m looking at a super sweet early retirement plan

hallett21

Reaction score
I’ve been 60 hours a week since 2018 and they’d love to clone me a couple time because it’s not slowing down. The good news is I’m looking at a super sweet early retirement plan
You’re still teaching right? Or did you change directions?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You’re still teaching right? Or did you change directions?
Now that I’m a cwi I run the welding department so a change of direction but still in the same building working for the apprenticeship.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I built it wrong even though it was built per plan. Apparently my fault because I never sent a submittal and they changed the design but didn't notify me.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Work for a company that is an enterprise computer equipment manufacturer for a product that is 30 year old technology. We are sold out for the year, can't produce enough product.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I've been onsite for this hospital for a year and haven't installed anything but 2 mock up rooms. 1 year QC'ing other trades work and shit is still fucked up because no one cares. All I can do is make lists, emails and phone calls.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him frame a wall correctly or put backing in the right spot

riverroyal

Reaction score
I can do a TED talk on the industry right now. We set ourselves up....when I get time I will explain and where we are headed

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Boy, this hits home, I’m on a Teams meeting on my IPad, right now and 3 Project Managers don’t understand why I need full size plans printed.FML